Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Space Kablooey posted:

I couldnt find a way to make SD exclusively border ND to the north and vice-versa without turning the map into 4 colors, but I think having MO be absorbed by SD is the next best solution, and it's not like anyone will actuallly miss it

Here's my 4-color solution, but I think I kinda went overboard fixing some of the more egregious borders in it

e: I just noticed california can be yellow. oh well
e2: I kinda want to remove OK panhandle to nowhere but i think that can be grandfathered in because that'd only create more problems

What is going on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Us States if every state demanded sea access ala bosnia

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
We can re-litigate an old argument here and show CT and PA pushing for non-shameful sea access.
PA takes part of southern NJ, CT slams across Long Island.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

imo the great lakes states shouldnt get additional sea access as imo they already technically have

Platystemon posted:

P.S.: “MO” is the abbreviation for Missouri. Montana’s is “MT”.

thanks, there are way too many US states too.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 9, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You don't even need the panhandles, just do some extra non-contiguous states. You already have one.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BonHair posted:

You don't even need the panhandles, just do some extra non-contiguous states. You already have one.

Give every state a tiny little exclave that's just a mile of beach not connected to anything.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

BonHair posted:

Agreed, Massachusetts must reclaim its rightful territory of Maine.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BonHair posted:

That'd be boring, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Agreed, Massachusetts must reclaim its rightful territory of Maine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did Mass used to have NH coastline too?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Give every state a tiny little exclave that's just a mile of beach not connected to anything.

Ah the Canberra solution

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grape posted:

We can re-litigate an old argument here and show CT and PA pushing for non-shameful sea access.
PA takes part of southern NJ, CT slams across Long Island.

Pennsylvania can just be given Delaware back.

Reminder that Delaware declared independence from Pennsylvania and the British Empire at the same time, weeks and weeks before the famous Declaration of Independence. They were independent and ruled by the President of Delaware.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Build giant canals along all state borders that aren't already rivers. Coastline for everyone. Also make big canal networks in the center of each state spelling out its name

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did Mass used to have NH coastline too?

New England border history is complicated.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Delmarva is still pretty hosed.

People talk about midwest-western states looking unnatural since they're just big rectangles, but the east coast is still full of straight lines on a map that were drawn once and haven't really been fully reexamined, although they've been poked around a lot. Delaware is an abomination.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's my one thousandth post that reminds you: Delmarva is a man-made island. One of America's largest islands. The canal is a cut channel, it has free-flowing tidal water rushing betwixt its banks.

Definitely the largest island in the world in terms of chicken production.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Delmarva is still pretty hosed.

People talk about midwest-western states looking unnatural since they're just big rectangles, but the east coast is still full of straight lines on a map that were drawn once and haven't really been fully reexamined, although they've been poked around a lot. Delaware is an abomination.

And curved lines, like the DE-PA border arc centered on New Castle

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Here's my one thousandth post that reminds you: Delmarva is a man-made island. One of America's largest islands. The canal is a cut channel, it has free-flowing tidal water rushing betwixt its banks.

Definitely the largest island in the world in terms of chicken production.

There’s no way it beats Java.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Angepain posted:

Build giant canals along all state borders that aren't already rivers. Coastline for everyone. Also make big canal networks in the center of each state spelling out its name

put down the knife johnny

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

New England border history is complicated.

As an english person seeing "plymouth council" having so much power is frightening. :)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Angepain posted:

I will never understand why the North African desert countries don't rearrange their borders to some calligraphic messages. It's not like it would matter in any practical sense, and it would be cool as gently caress, just like the laser that goes from Morocco to Mecca.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Are we sure that they haven’t?

That area is east of Merzouga.

It follows an elevation contour.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 10, 2022

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

SlothfulCobra posted:

Delaware is an abomination.
In more ways than just borders.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I had heard the name Martha's Vineyard before but i think this is the first time I realised it was a place and not a US store and/or restaurant

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

I will never understand why the North African desert countries don't rearrange their borders to some calligraphic messages. It's not like it would matter in any practical sense, and it would be cool as gently caress, just like the laser that goes from Morocco to Mecca.
You know that this would immediately result in some valuable resources being discovered in the land handed over.

Also, the mosque with the laser would have to be about 8500 times taller to be able to reach Mecca with a laser.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Platystemon posted:

Of course there are straight lines near it. So random that its just this one spot?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Angepain posted:

I had heard the name Martha's Vineyard before but i think this is the first time I realised it was a place and not a US store and/or restaurant

Have you ever seen Jaws before? It's that setting plus a gently caress billion dollars.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grape posted:

Have you ever seen Jaws before? It's that setting plus a gently caress billion dollars.

Except instead of a giant man eating shark its a horde of fearless man-eating turkeys

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Huh, cool!

I wonder if they update the borders to give Marocco more land as the cliffs get erroded

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BonHair posted:

Sorry, what's the one and only non-contiguous state? Assuming we're excluding islands I think there's at least three states with sections of distinct, populated territory on the mainland that aren't connected by land.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Eiba posted:

Sorry, what's the one and only non-contiguous state? Assuming we're excluding islands I think there's at least three states with sections of distinct, populated territory on the mainland that aren't connected by land.

I know Virginia and Michigan but what's the third?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

ultrafilter posted:

Minnesota.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Rhode Island has a chunk of disconnected territory south of Fall River in Massachusetts for some reason. I used to live not too far from that border and it always bothered me as being pretty messy.

saintonan posted:

Minnesota.
I forgot about Minnesota, but do people actually live up there? I guess there's also Washington and North Carolina if you're counting really small messy bits. (Rhode Island's bit is pretty small, but Rhode Island is small to begin with so it counts, I feel.)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kentucky is the only state where a portion of it cannot be accessed without traveling through a second state :eng101:

the missisippi river borders are crazy but I think the little new madrid nub is the only one without a tentacle reaching out to connect it with the homeland

edit: oh right liberty island :eng99:

Archduke Frantz Fanon fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 10, 2022

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Kentucky is the only state where a portion of it cannot be accessed without traveling through a second state :eng101:

the missisippi river borders are crazy but I think the little new madrid nub is the only one without a tentacle reaching out to connect it with the homeland

edit: oh right liberty island :eng99:

My first thought was Point Roberts, Washington, but I guess that's a second country rather than a second state.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

My first thought was Point Roberts, Washington, but I guess that's a second country rather than a second state.
You can reach Point Roberts, in theory, without going into non-Washington State territorial waters.

The little piece of Kentucky mentioned is fully disconnected.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You can reach Point Roberts, in theory, without going into non-Washington State territorial waters.

The little piece of Kentucky mentioned is fully disconnected.

Jesus Christ that's horrific.

Yeah, I guess if we're including territorial waters that's probably the only one that's completely non-contiguous (I hope). I didn't even know about that border and I feel my life has been made worse after seeing that.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I guess if we're including territorial waters that's probably the only one that's completely non-contiguous (I hope). I didn't even know about that border and I feel my life has been made worse after seeing that.

Liberty island is in NJ waters, but that's a matter of "this island with the statue is new york"

Now ellis island, on the other hand:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
That's NSFW levels of bordergore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Eiba posted:

River seem like they’ll make for good borders because they’re big and hard to cross but then they shift and people don’t want to give up land