Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DreadUnknown posted:

Heres a vid about one of my favorite guitarist's pedalboards. Rabea Massad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EGiU-FxyR4
Rabea is really cool.
Im super enjoying noodling with my newbie Epiphone a lot, Im really sad I didnt get into guitar years ago.
Like when I told a friend of mine who was in a band I wanted to get into guitar, he literally slapped me upside the head and told me to get into drums. That wasnt very nice, in retrospect. Like I was living in an apartment, I couldn't do drums.
I mean, I should do drums. Ive literally had random people come up to me and ask if I was a drummer lol.

I'm gonna sub to that Youtube channel, they seem really good. I've been watching a lot of Ola Englund for guitar stuff, and want to find more content like his on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlaEnglund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Rabea has also done content with Anderton's Music, his "sound like" series should be helping me pick up some effects soon.

https://youtube.com/c/andertons

Seems he's also performing with Leo Moracchioli/Frog Leap as well.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

massive spider posted:

If you want to play chords across all 6 strings then it makes sense to keep the major third interval. The only reason I can think not to is if you switch between baritone and 7 strings a lot and dont want to confuse yourself.

Dumb question time, how often do you want to do this? Is it just barre and cowboy chords? (talking normal 6 string)

I'm mostly playing either distorted power chords or jazz voiced things and rarely using more than 3-4 strings, sometimes not even strummed (in the case of some of the jazz inversions that skip strings). This definitely could be material-based though

The g->b interval messes me up more than anything else on the instrument (very in to my isomorphism) and I've thought about tuning either to 4ths or maybe 3rds but I'm wondering what I lock myself out of. Or if I just gotta practice through it. It is nice having the notes be the same on the es.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I will play all 6 in certain tunings like CGCGCE or other open/drop tunings but it's rare as heck for me to do in standard interval tunings

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
First new thing I've worked on in 2022. Being very stupid with the pedals in Archetype Gojira.

https://soundcloud.com/lestershy/1522-005a

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, what grit sandpaper is best for leveling nickel frets again? I ran out of the strips that came with my sanding beam and I need to go pick up some adhesive sheets.

240 or 320 is what I use for nickel. Obviously 240 will require more post-level work, but will get things flat faster if there's a lot of material to come off.. And if adhesive backed is outrageously expensive, you can do the masking tape superglue thing with your sandpaper as well, or buy a roll of double-sided tape (but not the clear 3M stuff that comes in the little plastic gift-wrap style dispenser) because that can often be a whole mess cheaper.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lester Shy posted:

First new thing I've worked on in 2022. Being very stupid with the pedals in Archetype Gojira.

This is awesome.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Lester Shy posted:

How are you generating your drum tracks?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
For writing? I just write the MIDI manually. For sounds, this is the first track where I've used GGD's Modern Fusion kit; all of my older stuff was on Drumkit From Hell. I really like the modern kit a lot more than DFH, especially the hats.

https://www.getgooddrums.com/products/one-kit-wonder-modern-fusion

The drums on this track have zero post-processing; it's all stock sounds from the VST.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

Owns.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Rabea has also done content with Anderton's Music, his "sound like" series should be helping me pick up some effects soon.

https://youtube.com/c/andertons

Seems he's also performing with Leo Moracchioli/Frog Leap as well.

FrogLeap is actually where I learned about him.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

NGD, how'd I do? 2001 custom shop sub-sonic, technically daphne blue but has greened quite a bit. Holy poo poo it's nice and sounds amazing.

Price? $1200, yeah don't loving ask me how I got this lucky. Probably used up all of mine for the year.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Sub-sonic, is that a baritone?

e: and congratulations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pondex posted:

Sub-sonic, is that a baritone?

e: and congratulations.

Yup, 27" scale. Tuned it to BEADF#B with .13-.62 and it seems to work pretty well.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
play amon amarth now

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

have revised my position on blues scales slightly:

they’re very useful in jazz to avoid making insane harmonies on accident and more importantly when you’re just given a key and a mode and have to go from there

however i still think people rely on them too much and the 4 and 7 create a lot of the interest of a major scale (because thirds are where Music lives and the half steps allow you to do some neat intervallic stuff, like a descending minor third from 1 to 6)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My experience with every Jens Larson video is basically

Jens: OK, let's talk about using the pentatonic scale in jazz improvisation! It's easy, can sound great, and uses shapes you already know.

Me: OK, yeah, sweet C major pentatonic I can do that all day.

Jens: Now remember, you can't just jam in C major pentatonic all day because the song starts in C. You need to identify the dominant 5s that indicate a key change and make sure you move your shape around to stay on the changes.

Me: OK, yeah. 2-5s mean a key change, even if it doesn't resolve to the 1. Move your shape around to the new key. I can ... do that.

Jens: And of course, just because your song starts in C and modulates to Db here, you aren't locked into just C major and Db major pentatonic. You can use the [X flat minor??] pentatonic shape over that same change because it shares four notes plus this other note that's not in the Db scale but sounds nice outside anyway.

Me: Wait hang on, so D flat can also be a ... wait ...

Jens: Now let's talk about playing otuside your D flat major pentatonic up the fretboard in this measure where the dominant 5 has been substituted with with the dominant flat 2.

Me: ... this video is 6 minutes long ...

Jens: Now that we've got all that under our fingers, let's talk bebop phrasing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Huxley posted:

My experience with every Jens Larson video is basically

Jens: OK, let's talk about using the pentatonic scale in jazz improvisation! It's easy, can sound great, and uses shapes you already know.

Me: OK, yeah, sweet C major pentatonic I can do that all day.

Jens: Now remember, you can't just jam in C major pentatonic all day because the song starts in C. You need to identify the dominant 5s that indicate a key change and make sure you move your shape around to stay on the changes.

Me: OK, yeah. 2-5s mean a key change, even if it doesn't resolve to the 1. Move your shape around to the new key. I can ... do that.

Jens: And of course, just because your song starts in C and modulates to Db here, you aren't locked into just C major and Db major pentatonic. You can use the [X flat minor??] pentatonic shape over that same change because it shares four notes plus this other note that's not in the Db scale but sounds nice outside anyway.

Me: Wait hang on, so D flat can also be a ... wait ...

Jens: Now let's talk about playing otuside your D flat major pentatonic up the fretboard in this measure where the dominant 5 has been substituted with with the dominant flat 2.

Me: ... this video is 6 minutes long ...

Jens: Now that we've got all that under our fingers, let's talk bebop phrasing.

I love Jens too.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One of my honest metrics for my improvement is how far I can make it into one of his videos before getting lost. Nothing but appreciation for the man.

A couple of years ago he would have lost me at "shapes you already know."

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I love Jens but the camera panning on his fret hand makes me dizzy

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

New guitar day! B&G Guitars Little Sister Crossroads (their MIC line).

I'm really happy with it. The fretboard feels great, no sharp ends, and the finish isn't too "plasticky," which is a complaint I've had with other guitars I've tried recently. Sounds great too, pickups are pretty loud, fairly dark in the neck position and bright in the bridge. My plan is to set this one up for slide, throw 11s on it, maybe raise the action.

My only complaint is the tuners feel really cheap. They're super fast, so hard to tune; the buttons are tiny and hard to get leverage on; and the G string tuner has a ton of slop in it. B&G sells the hardware from their higher-end models direct, so you can swap them onto this model, and I may do that.

In the spirit of sharing more playing in the thread, here's a little demo of some fingerstyle blues followed by the most boring open chord jamming in recorded history, on each pickup. I tried to do some more interesting demos after, but somehow the first take is always the best one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-hcvyU0xzA

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

ColdPie posted:

New guitar day! B&G Guitars Little Sister Crossroads (their MIC line).

I'm really happy with it. The fretboard feels great, no sharp ends, and the finish isn't too "plasticky," which is a complaint I've had with other guitars I've tried recently. Sounds great too, pickups are pretty loud, fairly dark in the neck position and bright in the bridge. My plan is to set this one up for slide, throw 11s on it, maybe raise the action.

My only complaint is the tuners feel really cheap. They're super fast, so hard to tune; the buttons are tiny and hard to get leverage on; and the G string tuner has a ton of slop in it. B&G sells the hardware from their higher-end models direct, so you can swap them onto this model, and I may do that.

In the spirit of sharing more playing in the thread, here's a little demo of some fingerstyle blues followed by the most boring open chord jamming in recorded history, on each pickup. I tried to do some more interesting demos after, but somehow the first take is always the best one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-hcvyU0xzA

Thanks for this post. I've been eyeballing one of these guitars for a bit now. What made you decide getting the Little Sister over the Step Sister?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The slotted headstock tbh. Looking at the specs, I don't see much else different.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

what's the standard way to do sheet music notation for guitar? my gut tells me "treble clef an octave down" but if everyone does something else, i'll just do that

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, octave down. C4 on your staff will correspond to C3 on a piano.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I believe you write it an octave above what you play, right? Like middle C is actually B string, first fret but that is notated as an octave higher than that. When you see middle C written you'd play A string, third fret. Right? It's been a while.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
dont let guitar players into your serious music ensemble with sheet music, thats my policy

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Heres how you make some real scifi bullshit noises... I mean its technically a guitar.
Anti Tank Guitar

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

20 Blunts posted:

dont let guitar players into your serious music ensemble with sheet music, thats my policy

My "play some arpeggios behind an alto recorder" was such a hit it turned into a proper thing, so now I'm in musescore transcribing this into tab because it's a little sweaty for me and I'm a coward.

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/titl...rt&ac=1&aff_id=

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I clicked on that Neural DSP sale and now my youtube ads make me want to shred.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

20 Blunts posted:

i'm just making lead sheets because i feel like that's easier/a better use of time and paper than writing "verse: G, D/A, B/F#, C x 4" on notebook paper like i have been.

and if i transcribe out lead parts on a staff, i can actually see what the hell is going on in them from a theory perspective, i don't have to go "ok here it is on the guitar... ok this is that note"

at least to me it makes more sense to think of it like "here are the notes, i just have to find a position for this actual music" rather than tab which at least to my brain feels more like "play in this position in this order and the pitches are whatever"

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I prefer being stuck in the hellish cycle of constantly having to practice every single thing I know so I won't forget it because I'm too lazy to write it down.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

20 Blunts posted:

Giving them sheet music is how you keep them out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When I write something that I'm feeling good about I pretty much go right into cubase and program some quick drums and a harmonic base with organ or pads or something so I can remember the chords and maybe a little voice leading.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

When I write something that I'm feeling good about I pretty much go right into cubase and program some quick drums and a harmonic base with organ or pads or something so I can remember the chords and maybe a little voice leading.

this always takes too long for me, or when i’m trying to actually write a song, i get distracted by my options or recording inconsistencies or whatever and it’s really hard for me to push past.

so i try to write everything out theoretically first. sheet music is really great for that, especially the melodic aspect of it.

also i think more guitar players could stand to look at sheet music of what they play, because then they would realize their melodies have no interesting shape to them at all, and would hopefully step it up

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

what i’m trying to do is make it as easy as possible to actually get poo poo written. because then i’ll write more, and i won’t be wasting as much time in the rare, super inspired moments.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can buy notebooks of staff and tab manuscript paper, nothing is going to be faster or cheaper or more at hand than that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I mean if you feel comfortable enough with your writing and reading skills to write it out on a staff go for it. I don't work enough with sheet music to be as quick with that as with a piano roll so that's how I do it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've got some of these, they're nice https://themusiciansnotebook.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah I mean if you feel comfortable enough with your writing and reading skills to write it out on a staff go for it. I don't work enough with sheet music to be as quick with that as with a piano roll so that's how I do it.

i've been in music school for like three months, all my classes have been music based, so i don't even blink at a staff anymore.

can't sightread super complicated stuff or anything, but i'm not afraid of it at all. it helps me to visually see the music sometimes, so i can understand the different chunks of it, and since sheet music is the most standard way to do that..