Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I find punt e mes like a plum-forward wine, I can't imagine it'd be what you're looking for if the wine flavor is what you don't like. It's a strong flavor that can stand out and accentuate fruitiness, like the cherry flavor in a Manhattan.

If I'm mixing with whisky I would always go for carpano antica. The vanilla in it helps it meld with most cocktails harmoniously, in my experience. It's also perfect in my favorite nightcap, which is whiskey, vermouth, creme de cacao, amaro, and coffee liqueur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

What's a sweet vermouth with the least amount of red wine tannin? I think that's the element I find unpleasant when mixing with whiskey. Was thinking of picking up Punt e Mes.

Echoing others that no vermouth really has significant tannins as far as I know. Are you specifically getting the overbrewed-black-tea, dry-mouth thing associated with tannins or is it just bitterness (back of the tongue but not drying/astringent, more like grapefruit juice)? If it's just bitterness definitely don't do Punt e Mes, it's more bitter than standard sweet vermouths (but it is delicious).

I'd try a really mild sweet vermouth either way, like Dolin, and see how that treats you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've read that honey syrup has a shelf life. I'm a bit confused by this. Honey doesn't. Neither does water. So why do the two combined have one?

I don't really understand why simple syrups go bad, either but I can see it due to changing the form of the sugar does change it. But honey syrup? I feel like I am missing something here.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

I've read that honey syrup has a shelf life. I'm a bit confused by this. Honey doesn't. Neither does water. So why do the two combined have one?

I don't really understand why simple syrups go bad, either but I can see it due to changing the form of the sugar does change it. But honey syrup? I feel like I am missing something here.

It's likely because honey is super concentrated enough that the sugar in it acts as a preservative and prevents the bacteria from developing. You add water and you dilute that sugar concentration. Water lasts because there's very little if anything for growth to grab on to.

The way to avoid this is by making a 2:1 simple syrup which is shelf stable. But yeah doesn't address your honey desire.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh. So my 2:1 dem syrup is fine in the fridge? It won't go bad?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, all life requires water availability, a source of energy, and a safe pH. Honey has low water availability and relatively acidic pH, but diluted honey changes both of these. Water on the other hand is ready for life to grow but has no energy source*, which the added honey provides.

2:1 simple has less water availability and won't spoil as quickly, but it still can over months. Watch for cloudiness and for flavorings to go muddy.

*light for photosynthesis is available of course, but life also requires micronutrients.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 9, 2022

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Honey also contains glucose oxidase which enzymatically generates hydrogen peroxide, fending off bacterial contamination.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh. So my 2:1 dem syrup is fine in the fridge? It won't go bad?

It will eventually mold, but should be good for 6-8 weeks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah, all life requires water availability, a source of energy, and a safe pH. Honey has low water availability and relatively acidic pH, but diluted honey changes both of these. Water on the other hand is ready for life to grow but has no energy source*, which the added honey provides.

2:1 simple has less water availability and won't spoil as quickly, but it still can over months. Watch for cloudiness and for flavorings to go muddy.

*light for photosynthesis is available of course, but life also requires micronutrients.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll keep an eye out for cloudiness.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

tonedef131 posted:

Honey also contains glucose oxidase which enzymatically generates hydrogen peroxide, fending off bacterial contamination.

Wow, I had no idea. That's really cool.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So turns out, outside of the Morin syrups here, Orgeat and almond extract is tough to find in Sweden. Has anyone had luck with ODK/Orsadrinks syrups?

I might pick up theirs as it looks to be a solid option outside making my own almond extract which takes weeks.

However as I do have orange blossom water, I’m down to make my own grenadine again because it’s way better than what’s sold here.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Can you get almond milk in Sweden? That's what I use to make orgeat.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Can you get almond milk in Sweden? That's what I use to make orgeat.

Go on

E: having a no poo poo Hank Scorpio Hammocks moment because that would make this situation incredibly easier

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 10, 2022

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Human Tornada posted:

I made Kevin Liu's Simply Awesome Orgeat from Craft Cocktails at Home and it's really good. Don't know how it stands up to the high-end brands but I like it.

184 g Almond milk, unsweetened*
88 g sugar
8 drops almond extract (1/8 tsp)
4 drops orange blossom water (1/16 tsp)

combine ingredients

*he recommends Pacific brand, I used Simply Almond. You want something with the lowest amount of sodium, sugar, and additives.

This might get you close enough without the 8 drops of almond extract. Might be worth buying a bottle online that will last forever.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

teen witch posted:

Go on

E: having a no poo poo Hank Scorpio Hammocks moment because that would make this situation incredibly easier

If you can get almond extract, you can do a dummy with it and almond milk. Outside of that, orgeat is very simple to make, it's basically just an almond syrup. If you can get almonds, you can make it at home.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

teen witch posted:

Go on

Basically 2-1 sugar to almond milk simmered together, some orange blossom water to taste (I use a teaspoon or so for a couple of cups worth) and some vodka at the end to stabilize. Differing brands of almond milk are more or less "almondy" so sometimes I add a handful of crushed almonds to the simmer and then strain. Orange flower water goes in after the simmer of course as it doesn't stand up to heat.

Instead of starting with almond milk you can blitz a bunch of almonds and water in your Vitamix for a while, but I'm lazy and always have almond milk on hand sooo

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Where do you get orange blossom water from? The Internet?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

A God drat Ghost posted:

Where do you get orange blossom water from? The Internet?
If you have a local halal market they will probably have several to choose from for almost free.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep. It might also be in your supermarket, near tahini, grape leaves, falafel mixes, etc, if you’ve got any of that stuff.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I definitely had to seek out a specifically eastern market where I live. But once I found it, it was orange/rose water heaven.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I get rose water and orange flower water from Whole Foods.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah most of the groceries/liquor stores stock it in the mixer section for me.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Okay, I'll have to look harder, I definitely have places like that around. Thanks!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I've found it at health food stores here in Norway

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

OFW/Rose is also commonly found in the baking sections

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I've been in Paris all week, and have gone to a tiki bar called Dirty Dick a few times now. Truly awesome place - only tiki bar I've found outside of the US that can stand up to Vegas, SoCal, or the Bay. So if you're in Paris, you should def go to this joint.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Would you mind sharing recommendations? I'm in Irvine but will visit LA this summer, and it sounds like you Have Informed Opinions.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tiki ti and the Tonga Hut are my choice in LA. The Mermaid is also p good if you catch the right bartender. If you get to San Diego go to False Idol.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thank you! I am going to SD zoo for my birthday, will have 2yo in tow but might make it work :thunk:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

BrianBoitano posted:

Thank you! I am going to SD zoo for my birthday, will have 2yo in tow but might make it work :thunk:
Should work, tiki cups seem to be perfectly sized to add a sippy-cup lid to avoid spilling the little urn's $16 drink.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Wife wanted something, dealer's choice. I went with:

1.5 oz rittenhouse rye
1 oz aperol
3/4 oz maraschino
2 dashes hazelnut bitters
Stir, strain, garnish with orange twist/peel.

We both found it nicely balanced. Seems like a spin on a boulevardier, but pretty far out for that.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I’m typically not a huge fan of modernist cocktails, outside of the novelty I generally find them to be inferior to a more traditional approach. However I recently made The Remedy, Jack Schramm’s small format riff on Painkiller, and I think it actually elevates the drink conceptually and is one of the rare cases where it’s worth the trouble. The balance is shifted more to the orange end at the cost of pineapple character, but every ingredient serves a specific purpose and contributes significantly.

1.5 oz Plantation Stiggins pineapple
.5 oz Overproof White Jamaican rum
.75 oz orange juice acid adjusted to lime
.75 oz carmalized sweetened condensed coconut milk

To carmalized the sweetened condensed coconut put an unopened can in a pressure cooker and cook at 15psi for an hour then let naturally depressurize. The coconut cans contain 11.25 oz, so to the equal amount of orange juice I added 10g citric & 7 gram malic acid powders.

The coconut tastes exactly like the coconut Girl Scout cookies, but obviously it is super sticky and way too thick to jigger. I combined all of it with all the orange and 7.5 oz of the Wray & Nephew and then just measured out 2 oz of the premix per cocktail for ease of measuring and speed of service. It’ll foam up when you first mix it, they must put calcium carbonate in the coconut or something. Shake or spin in a spindle blender then strain onto nugget ice, grate nutmeg on top.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 14, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been foolishly using a mug to hold some of my bar tools. It was foolish because the citrus press makes it way too top heavy. Long story short, I had to clean up a broken bottle of creme de violette. Good thing it was only a quarter full.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been foolishly using a mug to hold some of my bar tools. It was foolish because the citrus press makes it way too top heavy. Long story short, I had to clean up a broken bottle of creme de violette. Good thing it was only a quarter full.

F

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Quarter bottles of creme de violette have been known to haunt home bars for up to five years so if anything you saved yourself some trouble.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I'm at the in-laws and they have some fancy artisanal spirits and liqueurs that they get gifted but kinda don't really know what to do with.

The big one is haskap liqueur, but there's a gin made from honey, and a honey liqueur that's sort-of like Drambuie but distilled from mead instead of using Scotch. The rest of the bar is a bit limited. For bitters there's angostura and orange, plus random things like cherry, coffee and grapefruit. Lots of gin, Scotch and rum, plus some local whisky. There's dry vermouth that I think was opened two years ago when I visited and has been sitting at wine cellar temperature since. It's ... drinkable ... Also Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Kahlua, amaretto, and port.

I just made this based roughly off a "haskap shrub" recipe, and it turned out to be pretty tasty:

1 oz honey gin
1 oz haskap liqueur
1 oz dry vermouth
0.5 oz Cointreau
0.5 oz lemon juice
0.5 oz honey liqueur

What are some other ideas with what's available? I do plan on getting a few more things tomorrow - Campari and sweet vermouth being high on the list.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

prayer group posted:

Quarter bottles of creme de violette have been known to haunt home bars for up to five years so if anything you saved yourself some trouble.
A quarter bottle of creme de violette would make enough Aviations to keep my in-laws tolerable all summer!!!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I'm out of maraschino and almost reflexively picked up a bottle of Luxardo, but then realized that I only run out of maraschino like every 3-5 years so I should probably take the opportunity to try something different. I've never had anything else at home or by itself (though I've probably had others as parts of drinks in bars)... should I do Maraska? Lazzaroni? Something else?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Try Maraska is my suggestion. It's considerably different from Luxardo, less cloying and more interesting (drinkable on its own, even). I got a bottle on a whim the last time I ran out of Luxardo and I think I'll stay with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Not sure if there's a more appropriate place to ask this, but how long will an unopened bottle of spirits keep? I was given two bottles of whiskey a good 10 years ago that I just rediscovered in the back of a pantry.