Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Crespolini posted:

If we're going to start handing it to Boris, I'll happily sign up as one of the shittiest people, lol.
I mean...the umbrella bit was legitimately funny. :colbert:

Edit: What a terrible snipe. :negative:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Nice piece of fish posted:

Zelensky is a loving god-tier comedian

Giving a man named Johnson his cock

Answering "How do you think I am?" to Boris's rote "How are you?" greeting was also well done

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

I've been skeptical about most of the Kremlin's claims about nazis but here we are: Literal goose stepping :/

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 10, 2022

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

Boris Johnson: a horrible piece of poo poo holding onto his cock.

At least i'm consistent in my detestation of the creature (and i'm not referring to the avian either). :colbert:

:kiss:

It took far too long for someone to make this joke.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Chalks posted:

It also underlines Russia's failure to take the city, it's a great gently caress you to Putin.

Remember when people were talking about Kyiv being starving and *effectively* encircled barely two weeks ago when that Eastern European delegation of heads of state were meeting in Kyiv? This feels like Boris trying to imitate that when it's much safer and less meaningful. Still not a bad thing for him to do but there's a sense of the kid running behind the crowd yelling "Hey, me too, wait up!"

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Various sources are reporting material is amassed on the front around Izyum area. We'll see if the Russians will try to straighten the front line with a push towards the south.

https://twitter.com/Cen4infoRes/status/1513066078179635203

https://twitter.com/georgewbarros/status/1513006114861985798

E: don't know why the first tweet preview shows two tweets. Linked to the bottom one.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

It sends a very strong signal that UK is Ukraine's ally in this war and puts pressure on Putin because it shows his threats about western interference are just bluff

His government just tries extremely hard to NOT let refugees (including Ukrainians) into the UK. :rolleyes:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

d64 posted:

E: don't know why the first tweet preview shows two tweets. Linked to the bottom one.

That's just how twitter does, if you embed a reply it shows the previous one for context

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Deformed Church posted:

That's just how twitter does, if you embed a reply it shows the previous one for context

Yep. If you ever see a linked twitter post and it seems janky for what ever reason, chances are it's not the poster, it's just because twitter is the worst.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1513080837117517825
https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1513022241067446272
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1513067832531169281

Let's try the big line of vehicles thing again. (Not sure if these are actually connected, but it was a pretty funny scroll through my Twitter feed)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ummel posted:

Let's try the big line of vehicles thing again.

Is mud season over?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is mud season over?

Mid May is apparently the typical time mud season ends. Someone posted a screen grab of the weather forecast for the area and there's plenty of rain over the next few days which should get is all nice and sticky for them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is mud season over?

According to this tweet, just starting up really

https://mobile.twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1512840905664913421

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Speaking of spring, which side benefits most from the trees getting leaves on them? I assume the defender but I guess it might make it harder for Ukraine to push Russia out if/when it comes to that.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

Speaking of spring, which side benefits most from the trees getting leaves on them? I assume the defender but I guess it might make it harder for Ukraine to push Russia out if/when it comes to that.

Depends on if Russia started cutting trees for profit yet.

https://twitter.com/UATV_en/status/1513056192729333764

Subtitled little Ukrainian badasses.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gay picnic defence posted:

Russia is looking to put in a bunch new soldiers at some time in the future, but at this point seems like Russia is more just the one defending stolen territory.

So far Russia have mostly been sticking to the roads, and Ukraine forces have been harassing them so if that stays true also better for Ukraine forces. Doubt a bunch of conscripts is going to want to do any off roading any time soon so seems like it should.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

This great. Glory to Erdogan. I hope he sings about the "truth" of 1915 next. From supporting ISIS to beheading Armenian civilians, Turkey has sure been leading the fight of democracy against Russian proxies.

Have you considered logging off?

ummel posted:

Subtitled little Ukrainian badasses.

There’s nothing badass about traumatised children, let’s not celebrate that.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 10, 2022

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It does show how Ukrainians are likely to be resentful of Russia for generations to come.

Great job keeping them in your sphere, Putin.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

It does show how Ukrainians are likely to be resentful of Russia for generations to come.

Great job keeping them in your sphere, Putin.

That was established already in 2014.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Tomn posted:

Remember when people were talking about Kyiv being starving and *effectively* encircled barely two weeks ago when that Eastern European delegation of heads of state were meeting in Kyiv?

No, because it wasn't, ever, effectively encircled. We had one loon in here screaming about it, I forget who it was but you could search back, but everyone kept correcting them.

The trains to Kyiv never stopped running.

What source was saying "starving and encircled" anyhow? Sputnik? Greyzone? That garbage got posted in here, and people simply posted pictures of Kyiv grocery stores and trains.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So Boris really is giving Ukraine our toys...

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1513097077647200257

Martlet is the smaller sibling to Starstreak. It begun as a Air-to-surface but has a bunch of launch configurations, including shoulder apparently. It was meant to enter service in 2015, was late, entered initial service last year but full operational capacity wasn't due until 2024.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 10, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

No, because it wasn't, ever, effectively encircled. We had one loon in here screaming about it, I forget who it was but you could search back, but everyone kept correcting them.

The trains to Kyiv never stopped running.

What source was saying "starving and encircled" anyhow? Sputnik? Greyzone? That garbage got posted in here, and people simply posted pictures of Kyiv grocery stores and trains.
It was only a few morons, maybe it was the more popular opinion in the other unnamed thread and RT and what not.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Martlet is the smaller sibling to Starstreak. It begun as a Air-to-surface but has a bunch of launch configurations, including shoulder apparently. It was meant to enter service in 2015, was late, entered initial service last year but full operational capacity wasn't due until 2024.
Happy to test it for you!

In the video they don't say what they hit but could be anything. Seems like a lot of that drone is left to have been hit by an MANPAD but :shrug:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

That thing sounds very hard to evade:

quote:

The LMMs in the initial batch use laser beam riding with infrared terminal homing and a laser proximity sensor, although a semi-active laser version is under development for precision surface attack roles.

I think that means it'll follow a laser beam aimed at the target so it can't be distracted by countermeasures, and then when it's really close (and presumably flares are no longer effective) it homes in on the heat signature.

There might not be many in Ukraine but even the threat of those things must surely become a consideration in any Russian air mission planning.

And apparently it can be fitted to drones too

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

frickin sharks with frickin laser beams riding missiles.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

In the video they don't say what they hit but could be anything. Seems like a lot of that drone is left to have been hit by an MANPAD but :shrug:

How so? Based on impressions from computer games? A shoulder launched warhead doesn't evaporate aircraft, it punctures critical systems with shrapnel. You get exactly that look like it's been shot by a shotgun with different pellet sizes. Also, MANPAD isn't the singular of MANPADS.

ik edit: :nms: dead soldiers in a ditch of sorts
https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1513107757058166787

(before it was corrected to Martlet)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 10, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

You need to NWS the dead bodies in the top of that tweet.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ola posted:

How so? Based on impressions from computer games? A shoulder launched warhead doesn't evaporate aircraft, it punctures critical systems with shrapnel. You get exactly that look like it's been shot by a shotgun with different pellet sizes. Also, MANPAD isn't the singular of MANPADS.

Careful embedding tweets from that channel, they post a lot of dead dudes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

frickin sharks with frickin laser beams riding missiles.

We just live in the god drat goofiest, stupidest, and just all round crappily imagined dystopian futures and I for one don't like it. :colbert:

Also we've all obviously seen a lot of Ukrainian drone stuff going on, this is actually some of the first stuff heard about Russian drone usage other than bombing stuff.

Hopefully the Russians sending out surveillance drones isn't a new thing they've suddenly found competency for, and just something they've been doing the whole time, but to little effect.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 10, 2022

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Where do they find the tiny pilots for these helicopters?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MassiveSky posted:

Where do they find the tiny pilots for these helicopters?

GI Joe figures.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

dr_rat posted:

We just live in the god drat goofiest, stupidest, and just all round crappily imagined dystopian futures and I for one don't like it. :colbert:

Also we've all obviously seen a lot of Ukrainian drone stuff going on, this is actually some of the first stuff heard about Russian drone usage other than bombing stuff.

Hopefully the Russians sending out surveillance drones isn't a new thing they've suddenly found competency for, and just something they've been doing the whole time, but to little effect.

Russians are still in a very dated military paradigm. The drone revolution is still kicking its way through the doctrinal systems of most major nations. With the serious doctrine problems Russia has already it makes sense that its probably only using them to ape what the US did with them over the past 20 years. And remember that medium and squad scale drones failed as immature technology in the first generation of drone warfare, it took civilian drone usage to finally design a small scout drone. I would not expect Russia's drone program to have done much better than the Armata, especially when its fighting the airborne core and air force pilots for roles instead of being a direct shiny new toy. Given all that i suspect it might be a rare technology in their order of battle.

And the doctrinal failure of the early war was prohibitive to all scouting and screening because units were not coordinated. That would also minimize the level of drone you saw, as they are fairly firmly a support system.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You're right and I wasn't trying to celebrate it. A better phrasing would have been brave little Ukrainian kids. I'm glad they're safe and getting some supplies.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Julia Ioffe wrote a good article a few days ago, but it's paywalled.
https://puck.news/how-putins-game-ends/

quote:

Earlier this week, I spoke to Andranik Migranyan, a star of the Russian foreign policy establishment and a close friend of the Russian foreign minister. I’ve spoken to Migranyan for years about Russian foreign policy and, though he has always been passionate in his views and extremely colorful in his expressions, I’ve never heard him so agitated and angry. He did not think there should be negotiations at all but he could see the logic for why they should be happening: If they didn’t, he said, “Russia would’ve been accused that it doesn’t want to negotiate.” That is, the negotiations were clearly for show, to tick a box.

“It is my personal hope that the negotiations don’t succeed because anything they produce will be unacceptable in Russia,” Migranyan told me. “This is an all or nothing situation.” Migranyan explained his vision of victory to me: Russia had to fight until Ukraine was reduced to a landlocked rump state in the west, nestled beside Romania and Poland. First, Migranyan went on, Russia would retake the entirety of the Donbas, as well as Mykolaiv and Odessa and the coasts of the Azov and Black Seas. “This would form Novoroissya, stretching from Odessa to Transnistria,” he said, referring to the area between Moldova and Ukraine where Putin fomented a frozen conflict. The new government of Novorossiya, Migranyan explained, would also include the cities of Kharkiv and Dnipro, known in Russian as Dnepropetrovsk. “In the central part of Ukraine, after we take Kyiv, Poltava, we will create a government entity called Kievan Rus. Then Belarus, Novorossiya, and Kievan Rus would join Russia in a union state,” he said, turning ebullient.

I think he heard me choke on the other end of the line because he added, “Isn’t it beautiful?”

Strong Judge Doom energy in that last sentence.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

dr_rat posted:

I vaguely remember reading something about drones and electronic warfare during the 2014 incursion. About how Russian troops could hack Ukrainian drones and find out where they were controlled from, then launch artillery/missiles strikes at the controllers.

So much seems to have deteriorated in Russian capabilities while Ukrainian forces got so much better during those 8 years, it'd be hard to believe if we didn't have the barrage of social media updates on how the Russian army is failing its goals.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

They truly have a terminal case of pretty maps syndrome. Why cant they just play EU like normal idiots.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

nimby posted:

I vaguely remember reading something about drones and electronic warfare during the 2014 incursion. About how Russian troops could hack Ukrainian drones and find out where they were controlled from, then launch artillery/missiles strikes at the controllers.

So much seems to have deteriorated in Russian capabilities while Ukrainian forces got so much better during those 8 years, it'd be hard to believe if we didn't have the barrage of social media updates on how the Russian army is failing its goals.

I remember that Ukraine had very poo poo opsec in 2014 and relied on improvised tech on the frontlines, like using android apps for artillery calculations made by russian devs(with back doors that transmitted the user coordinates). Right now they are using western tech for comms and have proper opsec(indirect fire by data leaks seems to be kinda rare with the few incriminating intel points being leaked by dumb civilians) , which is helping immensely.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

ik edit: :nms: dead soldiers in a ditch of sorts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Yeah I know but I'd expect the shrapnel and charge size to be sized to take out a full size aircraft but yeah that's just speculation, I only pretend to be an expert on the internet.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Negotiations being for show was pretty clear from the beginning.

Still extremely disturbing to hear someone straight up say poo poo like this. Maybe we should relocate Ukrainians to Armenia?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

nimby posted:

Commercial drones work off wifi or short range unencrypted radio in a way that is very trivial to detect, and often easy to hack. Its not technically challenging, most of them package a cheap commercial wifi solution. They then never get the firmware and software updates to make that secure over time because money. :capitalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRVb-xE1zTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CzURm7OpAA

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1513097077647200257/photo/3 Destroyed UAV, spoilered because increasing amounts of NWS in twitter generaly.

I noticed that despite scratching out the serial number its still easy to tell it was #120?0. I suspect the actual number of these things is very low. Or that they are so desperate for air recon now they are hauling out the prototypes.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Hannibal Rex posted:

Creating Kievan Rus without actual Kyiv sounds like, well, a thing. Also I realize this is just one guy's personal opinion instead of necessarily the Russian foreign establishment as a whole but goddamn that plan really doesn't seem to have been formulated in any way except looking at a map and deciding what would look better if painted red, not to mention how disconnected it seems from any kind of actual military success (how's that invasion of Odessa doing there, buddy?) Also how can any of this be at all worth the cost? It really does feel like this was sketched out purely to satisfy a narrative requirement rather than any real cost-benefit analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I know but I'd expect the shrapnel and charge size to be sized to take out a full size aircraft but yeah that's just speculation, I only pretend to be an expert on the internet.

Manpads are hostage to the rocket equation. They want the absolute smallest warhead that can get the job done, because everything they don't spend on warhead they can spend on range or speed. Fortunately for weapons designers, it doesn't take much to render an aircraft hors de combat.