Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

There's a lot of 'gotta hand it to him' going around with Boris' visit to Ukraine. Not that the help is a bad thing at all mind.

I do think it's all rather cynical and he's going to use wartime trajectory to sail to a higher approval rating over the next few years, watch Labour solemnly nod along and then pile-drive them in another GE.
Especially if the Tories can even manage a modicum token-gesture of help with the cost of living crisis, which I wonder if it's coming with the absolute bodying in the press Sunak is getting.

E: uh... Two roosters, a really good politician, a nice lady and a cock? I'm no good at naming things.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Keir Starmer : I welcome the Prime ministers decision to visit Kyiv, but I ask him to go further and also visit Russian occupied Donbas and Crimea.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Keir Starmer : I welcome the Prime ministers decision to visit Kyiv, but I ask him to go further and also visit Russian occupied Donbas and Crimea.

I also encourage the Prime Minister to go to every dangerous place on earth, but probably for different reasons to Kieth.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The story behind those roosters is rather cute though https://www.instagram.com/p/CcJNmfMtxFz/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
While it is grating to see Boris praised, I’m glad we are giving meaningful support to Ukraine. I think I’ve finally reached absolute zero anyway - I now no longer care even a tiny bit whether Labour or the Tories win.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jakabite posted:

While it is grating to see Boris praised, I’m glad we are giving meaningful support to Ukraine. I think I’ve finally reached absolute zero anyway - I now no longer care even a tiny bit whether Labour or the Tories win.

Thus begins the Lib Dem Fight Back™

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

The story behind those roosters is rather cute though https://www.instagram.com/p/CcJNmfMtxFz/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That is a very cute story indeed.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's not even just the absence of policies that's astonishing, the thing that really short-circuits my brain is the way those people in labour all talk with the same bizarrely stilted speech and overuse the same soundbites in the way of politicians 20-30 years ago

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The mental gymnastics involved in international diplomacy to avoid catastrophic levels of warfare is totally absurd really, isn’t it. Like, it blows my mind that it’s accepted by all parties that direct NATO-on-Russia would be a disaster so nobody loving dare, but if you want to give these intermediaries arms so *they* can kill Russians on your behalf it’s like ‘eh, we’ll allow it I guess, if you must’.

Good to see that of all countries though, it’s this stupid jumped-up one that’s willing to test that paradigm…

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's about containing the conflict, the second world war went on for years with the US bankrolling (gunrolling?) a lot of the allied war effort before they officially joined the war.

But as long as it's Ukrainians doing the shooting, in theory the conflict is somewhat contained, and that is a quite effective watershed you can enforce. Ukraine does not have the means to invade Russia and probably does not also have the means to resist the Russian army forever, no matter how many guns they are given. But if they started throwing other countries' armies in there then that represents an existential threat to Russia and also, arguably, a lot of Europe too, so everyone would quite like to avoid that.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Dabir posted:

Thus begins the Lib Dem Fight Back™

You know if they put a good local candidate with actual policies up I'd actually maybe consider it despite it being utterly naive after the betrayal when I was a young voter.

I mean. I'd consider it. Then draw a cock on the ballot, Because no. Never again. That's also how I feel with Labour now. gently caress them.

That leaves me with the green party who I was a member of for a bit, but are still all in on TERF bullshit last I checked and aren't actually really radical enough to make a difference.

At that point it makes me wonder if I'm just falling into the trap of purity politics and should just vote for the local Labour guy, Clive Betts to ensure it doesn't go Tory.

He's an old, out of touch backbencher that seems 'mostly' OK but is just uselessly continuing the trend in a safe seat. The CLP are fully on the Starmer train and seem to do all his communication for him so you don't actually get to speak to him anyway.

The gently caress is the alternative? Burning it all down for another decade of Tories is accelerationism and is no guarantee it won't just cement them more deeply in power.

I'm just going to buy a big house when I retire, fill it with cats and start an animal shelter I think. There's a 22 bedroom converted church near me for sale for £1m... I can dream right?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I would like to hear about the security operation that went along with boris. I really wouldn't have expected him to go.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crispix posted:

it's not even just the absence of policies that's astonishing, the thing that really short-circuits my brain is the way those people in labour all talk with the same bizarrely stilted speech and overuse the same soundbites in the way of politicians 20-30 years ago

*Homer Simpson voice* "Sure, it's not 1997 now, but who knows what the future will bring?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

I would like to hear about the security operation that went along with boris. I really wouldn't have expected him to go.
Two men in flat caps and warehouse coats wheeling a big fridge 10 feet behind him at all times.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I invite the prime minister to survey the trenches in the red forest.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New fudge released!

Yup, it’s that time again! This time around we’ve been playing around a lot with combinations of flavour and texture, and the results.. well, they speak for themselves.

We also have the winner of our ‘Create a flavour’ competition up for sale- which was chosen by our very own Maugrim! (Whose prize will be in the post on Monday)

Current Flavours

Key Lime Pie
- The winning entry of our competition, this is our take on the classic desert. Smooth, tangy lime flavoured fudge surrounds big buttery chunks of biscuit.
Rainbow Crunch - Iced gems and 100s and 1000s are combined with our dairy fudge for a truly amazing blend of textures and fruit flavours. My wife’s new favourite flavour!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Chunk - Cookie dough flavoured fudge wrapped around generous chunks of chocolate chip cookie. What’s more to say?
Maple and Pecan
Original Vanilla
Eggscremely Naughty*
Most Eggscellent*
The Great Divider (Terry’s Chocolate Orange)
Gilded Rose
Salted Caramel
Daimomite
Unicorn Barf
Oh Baby!
Raspberry

* Get these Easter Specials while you can- once they’re gone they won’t be back until 2023!

All stock is live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk now, and costs £3.50+P&P per 100gr bar. As always, you can use the goon discount code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ to get 5-for-4 at checkout!

If you’ve enjoyed your fudge, either now or in the past, why not leave us a comment or review at our Facebook page, fb.me/fudjit

Thanks a lot, all.

Get fudged!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

mmmmm fudge

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
mmmmm free fudge :toot:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Sorry for bringing another household repair issue to the forum but you guys know everything.

There's a drip under my kitchen sink. I have had the tap turned off completely for 2 days (using the bathroom sink when necessary) and a bowl in the sink under the tap in case of drips.
Yet, there is still a drip. It is AFTER the U-bend (ie after the water has gone down the sink and round the U-bend).

I can't figure out how it is still dripping when there has been no water down the sink for those 2 days unless either
(a) somehow the level in the U-bend is too high or (b) there is some sort of 'backing up' from further along the system.

The diagram might help. There's a connector after the U-bend and a flexible ('corrugated') pipe attached to it. The drip seems to be coming either from the connector or just along from it (on the outgoing side. I have put kitchen towel under it to figure out as near as possible the location of the drip to be sure it wasn't coming from eg the inlet pipes or anything as the cupboard shelf was swimming in water.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
In our kitchen the washing machine and dishwasher drainage hoses connect into the same drainage pipe as the sink, so there's often backflow (and a horrible smell). As you may guess our landlord only hires the cheapest of cowboy plumbers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does the pipe perhaps go upwards once it is inside the wall? I assume it shouldn't but if it was fitted weirdly you might have the whole underside of your sink being a U bend.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

They need to keep those nuclear bombers flying overwatch over Cthulhu's extradimensional prison OP.

I think you will find that is the Sleeper in the Pyramid :colbert: Cthulhu is quite happily ensconced here upon Earth.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My will to resist fudge has been broken. I blame Easter!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is it possible the leak is coming from above, like from the supply hoses into the tap, and dripping down onto the waste pipe below and tracking across? are the taps off from the isolation valve or just the tap handles themselves?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Jack Monroe is a good egg with a good thread about it:

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1509818628648194048?t=LG-qiqINqON2NRLT4r8eaQ&s=19

(Also I don't give two shits if they once wrote something mildly approving of a centrist or whatever, right now they're knocking it out of the park pointing out the government's wilful threshing of the poor and are one of the only people doing so, at the expense of their own health)

The last two tweets in the chain are particularly good:

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1509818648252366850?t=G-nVIIOX-fKIm7uzQZlh1A&s=19

I have to say I was disappointed to see her admitting on Twitter she is behind paying her own taxes after weighing in on the Sunak stuff but I suppose her heart is in the right place.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Does the pipe perhaps go upwards once it is inside the wall? I assume it shouldn't but if it was fitted weirdly you might have the whole underside of your sink being a U bend.

I don't believe so. This is a new phenomenon - I've lived here 2.5 years now and it's only just become an issue. (Mind you, the cowboys the vendor got it to do it up before selling - the owner had died so it was done up by his executor after it didn't sell for 2 years - nothing would surprise me.)

kecske posted:

is it possible the leak is coming from above, like from the supply hoses into the tap, and dripping down onto the waste pipe below and tracking across? are the taps off from the isolation valve or just the tap handles themselves?

I guess that might be possible. I'll deplete my zombie apocalypse bog roll stash and wind it round the hoses to see if they get wet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't believe so. This is a new phenomenon - I've lived here 2.5 years now and it's only just become an issue. (Mind you, the cowboys the vendor got it to do it up before selling - the owner had died so it was done up by his executor after it didn't sell for 2 years - nothing would surprise me.)

I guess that might be possible. I'll deplete my zombie apocalypse bog roll stash and wind it round the hoses to see if they get wet.

Don't forget the supply hoses will get slightly damp because they're colder than the ambient temperature even when not running (heat is conducted away to the rest of the system), so don't go mad chasing after a non-existent leak if you *do* find a small amount of water on them.

Maugrim posted:

In our kitchen the washing machine and dishwasher drainage hoses connect into the same drainage pipe as the sink, so there's often backflow (and a horrible smell). As you may guess our landlord only hires the cheapest of cowboy plumbers.

Don't forget to check this. Also this is actually the correct way to drain appliances, the backflow is because there's a partial blockage downstream (this is particularly common with dishwashers because suspended grease congeals on the pipe walls, especially if it's a plastic hose onto a metal or ceramic drain). You can *try* to unblock it with a bottle of Mr. Muscle chucked down the sink but it's hard to get it to stay in the place it needs to be - what you actually need to be doing is unhooking them and giving them a good clean out with a wire coat hanger but be prepared for a smellscape of pre-Bazelgette London.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't forget the supply hoses will get slightly damp because they're colder than the ambient temperature even when not running (heat is conducted away to the rest of the system), so don't go mad chasing after a non-existent leak if you *do* find a small amount of water on them.

Don't forget to check this. Also this is actually the correct way to drain appliances, the backflow is because there's a partial blockage downstream (this is particularly common with dishwashers because suspended grease congeals on the pipe walls, especially if it's a plastic hose onto a metal or ceramic drain). You can *try* to unblock it with a bottle of Mr. Muscle chucked down the sink but it's hard to get it to stay in the place it needs to be - what you actually need to be doing is unhooking them and giving them a good clean out with a wire coat hanger but be prepared for a smellscape of pre-Bazelgette London.

I have been using unblockers about once a month, but I ran out and didn't get anymore. I'll buy a bottle tomorrow and give that a try. I've got a plunger maybe I could give that a try too. Usually used for the bath (there is definitely a plumbing problem there where if I fill the bathroom sink and then unplug it, the water bubbles up in the bath - like I said 'cowboys'. I want a new bathroom but finding non-cowboys who don't charge £12k or whatever that I cannot afford in the slightest is a nightmare!)

(For info, I don't have a washing machine or dishwasher or water softener or any other device joined to those pipes.)

Ed: checked the inlet hoses - both absolutely bone dry. Ran water down the sink and it leaked again. Did some plunging too. Definitely seems to be the connector joint. Guess I'll need to fiddle with it and see if it has come loose somehow. (Every time I've got a plumber, it comes to over £100 and I just don't have that kind of money unless I absolutely must. God alone knows how folk on NMW or benefits manage with broken stuff.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 10, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah probably pulling it apart, cleaning it out and putting it back together will do the job. Or just tape it up and forget about it for a couple of years (not official plumbing advice)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sebzilla posted:

just tape it up and forget about it for a couple of years

a fellow denso tape appreciator

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
A question about covid precautions and what to expect - I'm coming down to Scotland to England over the easter weekend to catch up with friends. We'll mostly be in city centre restaurants/bars etc probably I'm imagining - so around people. Should I expect that basically no one is wearing masks any more in England? Appreciate the restrictions ended unlike up here, but wasn't sure if people saying they were the only ones wearing masks in shops etc was hyperbole or if generally folk in England are acting like covid is gone? Really just wanting to know what to expect!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah for all intensive purposes it's over in England, there is still signage up that shops haven't taken down but I haven't seen any noticeable covid measures observed anywhere in months *except* Specsavers, oddly enough.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Danger - Octopus! posted:

A question about covid precautions and what to expect - I'm coming down to Scotland to England over the easter weekend to catch up with friends. We'll mostly be in city centre restaurants/bars etc probably I'm imagining - so around people. Should I expect that basically no one is wearing masks any more in England? Appreciate the restrictions ended unlike up here, but wasn't sure if people saying they were the only ones wearing masks in shops etc was hyperbole or if generally folk in England are acting like covid is gone? Really just wanting to know what to expect!

Perhaps it varies throughout the country but around here there are gently caress-all people wearing masks any more

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

People are absolutely, 100% on the "covid is over" train, and the country is currently undergoing the biggest wave of the pandemic so far

so, uh, protect yourself accordingly

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bacon Terrorist posted:

for all intensive purposes

what the

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Yeah for all intensive purposes it's over in England, there is still signage up that shops haven't taken down but I haven't seen any noticeable covid measures observed anywhere in months *except* Specsavers, oddly enough.

Not too odd at all, Specsavers has many people per day putting skin on their apparatus (fnarr fnarr). You better believe they are wiping it down after each and asking people to mask up where possible.

Anyway, redundant question, short of any actual legal obligations (now rescinded) you cannot personally legislate for what anyone else will do, so just protect yourself and others to whatever degree you think necessary. Wear a mask and wash your hands, is what I am saying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've noticed a few more people putting the masks back on in the past couple of weeks but it's still very spotty.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

People are absolutely, 100% on the "covid is over" train, and the country is currently undergoing the biggest wave of the pandemic so far

so, uh, protect yourself accordingly

Thanks (and to others), kinda figured that would be the case but thought best to ask before we all jump out of a car in England and panic.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Thanks (and to others), kinda figured that would be the case but thought best to ask before we all jump out of a car in England and panic.

Well that might be the right thing to do in that situation anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Yeah - take all the personal precautions you think necessary.

Over here in South Wales there was a big change last weekend. Up until then, most people were still wearing masks, but since last weekend, forget it. Many not wearing them anymore. About 50% of shop assistants still seem to be, and there is still an onus on businesses to have a covid risk plan. But general folk, it's masks off. I went on the bus yesterday and out of about 6 passengers half of us were masking.

And of course, there'll be very little testing going on. If you don't test for it, you won't know how many have it. My niece's on-again off-again partner has it and she's bound to get it because they've been doing snogging before he knew. My mum has been in close company with them. But she did church, she did her charity shift, and she came round mine coughing without covering her mouth up, violently projecting her lung gases around my flat (which surprises me given I was brought up by her very self to cover mouth when coughing). I made her sit by an open window and I wore 3 masks while she was here.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 10, 2022