Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have accidentally left my keys in the deadbolt keyhole several times.

I too am guilty of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I can't relate to you people

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Killingyouguy! posted:

But I mean, even if your arms are full of poo poo don't you need to put your keys in your hand to open the door? And then they go from your hand to on the hook or dish or whatever right beside the door, this seems like one smooth action to me

Not if someone inside unlocked the door for you. Then they stay right in the pocket of whatever jacket I happen to have on, and may or may not get tossed into my purse when I take it off (which will then also possibly be moved by my partner). Designated areas just don't happen in my house.

Also yes, leaving keys in the door has happened. My mom used to do it too -- once overnight, which was real fun to discover in the morning.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress fitted sheets

The top right corner of mine just *twoinged* out of place in sympathy

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Parasol Prophet posted:

And don't even get me started on how being late to something apparently makes you a garbage person who is directly insulting the people who invited you.

Reaaally depends how late we are talking here.
15min? Mostly fine, depending on meeting location, can also be unexcused.
15-30min be forever known as "that" person, hopefully texts a sorry will be late message.
30-60min be "that" person that also gets earlier meeting times than everyone else to steer them to the right meeting time.
More than 60min? How are people still associating still with your late rear end?

Edit: This is for regular lateness, not a one off.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

And also there's 'late because the train broke down' and there's 'late because i was watching the office until 5 minutes before i was supposed to arrive at a location an hour away' and one of those is actually pretty rude yeah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Killingyouguy! posted:

And also there's 'late because the train broke down' and there's 'late because i was watching the office until 5 minutes before i was supposed to arrive at a location an hour away' and one of those is actually pretty rude yeah

It’s def the train.

Watching the office is good for your soul

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

arguments based on the second amendment
brother we both live in canada

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parasol Prophet posted:

And don't even get me started on how being late to something apparently makes you a garbage person who is directly insulting the people who invited you.

Can you manage to show up to work on time? Then you can be on time to social events too, you're just choosing not to be. And yeah, that's rude.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People get madder when you just say you don't want to go to the thing. So just be late a few times and eventually the invites stop coming with nobody getting actually mad.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

It’s easy, just be so unpleasant you don’t get invited to things in the first place! :smug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One of my cats figured out how to open the closet and now they keep sleeping in there instead of the bed or couch or the many luxury cat accommodations with window views provided. Shedding all over everything, having no respect, meowing loudly if you accidentally shut them in after getting dressed. Why are cats. STOOOOPpp doing that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Now that's a true pet peeve

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
And of you comedy wizards name your pet "Peeve"?

I'm getting irrationally irritated by this Hawaiian Airlines ad where an overly excited lady talks about Hawaiian Airlines (pronouncing it like ho-wahy-ann) and the great rates to take you to Hawai`i (pronounced Ha-VAI-'ee). It feels like it's a build up to a joke, but no.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

I'm getting irrationally irritated by this Hawaiian Airlines ad where an overly excited lady talks about Hawaiian Airlines (pronouncing it like ho-wahy-ann) and the great rates to take you to Hawai`i (pronounced Ha-VAI-'ee). It feels like it's a build up to a joke, but no.
Traditionally, "Hawai'i" is pronounced with a "v" sound and "Hawaiian", as a construction in English, is not.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

FFT posted:

Traditionally, "Hawai'i" is pronounced with a "v" sound and "Hawaiian", as a construction in English, is not.

Yeah, I mean, I understand that. It's just that it's weird since the brand is not pronounced that way, but the place is, and having the same word appear in the ad pronounced two ways feels like a meta joke.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

Yeah, I mean, I understand that. It's just that it's weird since the brand is not pronounced that way, but the place is, and having the same word appear in the ad pronounced two ways feels like a meta joke.
Oh, I get that. I live here. It is what it is.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tiggum posted:

This type of thing happens super frequently. And if you look at the discussion page, several people will have posted that they've reported the exact same error, over the course of months, and it hasn't been fixed. Is anyone actually looking at the reports or is that button there just to make you feel like you've done something?

:(:hf::(:hf::(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Does Android not have a way of blocking mass texts? I can block spam text, and spam numbers, but if someone sends me and 400 other people spam, the option suddenly vanishes unless I type in the number manually into it. Which itself is loving annoying because I can't just copy the number, I have to type it in. And I can't type it anywhere without changing views, so I actually have to write the number down like some caveman, then go back to the phone, navigate around until I find the add-to-blocked-numbers or whatever, and type it in. It's a thirty second job that should be instant.

I need to change my number. I've had it for seven years and I've been getting texts and calls for "Nikki" since day one, but it's to the point where I can't even access my voicemail because it fills up so fast. According to my phone log there have been 17 SCAM LIKELY or obviously spam calls and SIXTY spam texts since... yep, four hours ago.

Admittedly, almost 90% of spam texts and calls I get happen between 6 AM and noon.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The term 'bio break'. It's too evocative! 'Step away for a minute' was a perfectly fine euphemism but now everyone at work is basically announcing 'BRB IT'S PISSIN TIME'

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

The term 'bio break'. It's too evocative! 'Step away for a minute' was a perfectly fine euphemism but now everyone at work is basically announcing 'BRB IT'S PISSIN TIME'

it brings to mind a composting toilet or septic tank full of poo poo

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Getting a snack or a cup of tea also counts as a bio break!

I guess sleeping would too but you probably wouldn't step away for that in the middle of a meeting

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I vastly prefer someone just says "hey I need to pee"

Like it's fine, it's cool, we all do it, ain't nobody worth respecting about to judge you.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Tiggum posted:

Can you manage to show up to work on time? Then you can be on time to social events too, you're just choosing not to be. And yeah, that's rude.

I know this is old now, but actually, no I can't. I've gotten fired from multiple jobs for tardiness. I can usually get it together for a while, but always lapse back into it sooner or later. I don't know why, and believe me, I'm trying to make it stop happening, but I haven't figured out how yet.

But yeah, guess I'm choosing to lose my livelihood, constantly disappoint and alienate my friends/loved ones, just generally keep screwing myself over -- again and again. I probably just love blowing my life up every few years. That makes the most sense.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Reaper, I just downloaded your update, why do you have another one already

Chillax, take a breather

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Parasol Prophet posted:

I know this is old now, but actually, no I can't. I've gotten fired from multiple jobs for tardiness. I can usually get it together for a while, but always lapse back into it sooner or later. I don't know why, and believe me, I'm trying to make it stop happening, but I haven't figured out how yet.

But yeah, guess I'm choosing to lose my livelihood, constantly disappoint and alienate my friends/loved ones, just generally keep screwing myself over -- again and again. I probably just love blowing my life up every few years. That makes the most sense.

I think I'd stop RSVPing to things, but that probably addresses only the most minor of your issues :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Youtube's algorithm is suddenly really pushing me to watch Warhammer 40k videos and I have no idea why. Someone has a 10 minute rant about the Horus Heresy whatever it is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Youtube's algorithm is suddenly really pushing me to watch Warhammer 40k videos and I have no idea why. Someone has a 10 minute rant about the Horus Heresy whatever it is.

I don't know what that is exactly but for fifteen years it's all my loving roommates have talked about

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

This brand name is perfectly fine, language changes over time. And if you think it's dumb, you're wrong and possibly bigoted.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

erosion posted:

This brand name is perfectly fine, language changes over time. And if you think it's dumb, you're wrong and possibly bigoted.

His and hes would also be acceptable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That would absolutely not work if the packaging was in comic sans and there were twee kittens on the label though.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Going to an imdb or wiki link and seeing it coloured in, that's my peak existential "what the gently caress am I doing with my life"

This happened to me just half an hour ago.

I was reading an article and saw a coloured in link, didn't recognise the name and them went "oh gently caress of course" when I clicked on it.

The two topics were seemingly unrelated. I was reading about Bond films today and the Russian military previously.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

erosion posted:

My pet peeve is that biotin apparently has very little clinical research to back up the various claims beauty products use to sell the stuff; It's ubiquitous in the market because it "sounds" good/people mistake the real-time hair or nail growth they've always had (possibly supplemented with improved grooming habits) for actual results

Apparently it's great for horses though so maybe it's like an ivermectin situation ??

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Re: the last two pages — some of you don’t have ADHD and it shows. :smuggo:

But seriously, as someone with ADHD, I can tell you that as irritating as you may find us with our perpetual lateness, losing things, bad memory, etc…..you at least get a break from us whenever we’re not around. We never get a break, because it’s a neurological disorder, so we have to deal with this poo poo 24/7/365. Medication helps (when you can find one that works for you) but doesn’t perfectly control every symptom and makes some things worse (like multi-tasking).

My ADHD-related pet peeve: I’m playing Stardew Valley, and the ADHD comes out even in this fictional microcosm. I’m always wasting time running around my farm because I forgot to bring something with me or to check on [x thing] before doing [y thing], or I get so lost in a task I forget to make it to a festival or to give an NPC a birthday gift before they go to bed. Etc. So I have to schedule my day in the game like I do IRL: I have a farm chore routine I don’t deviate from, and I have to have chests sitting all over the place with extra supplies, so I don’t have to run all around the map because I forgot something. I even keep a notebook on my desk where I write out to-do lists for the game with daily and long-term goals, shopping and materials lists, and the important dates in each month.

Typing all this out makes me wonder why I find this game fun.

And I STILL forget things, lose track of time, blow money on impulse purchases, etc., just like IRL. ADHD never quits, man. :smith:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I feel you, fellow ADHD havers :smith:

I also had a really good pet peeve, like one that always makes me irritated whenever it happens but I forgot what it was before I could come here and post it. Again.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Unsubscribe me from this emailing list.
"You need to sign in or sign up before continuing."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adhd loving sucks rear end and it ruins my life lmao

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
It is a pet peeve of mine when I go to the gif thread and find that the last like twenty gifs are just the same regurgitated gifs my friends I don't like on Facebook post the moment they appear on whatever other Facebook meme group they follow.

Also: added music in gifs. A gif that stands on its own seems just so dumb when you throw on a zany track over it.

Let me tell you I got more gif opinions

To contribute to ADHD hate: I have ADD (technically diagnosed as some unwieldy thing like 'attention deficit disorder inattentive type', I think) and it's a real fuckin constant weight to drag around. I don't really mind when people make jokes about things I suffer from, but the 'oh lol i have such add!' starts to really get old.

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Apr 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Yeah, I didn't want to say ADHD because (1) I haven't been actually diagnosed yet, it's just very strongly suspected by my doctor and (2) another pet peeve of mine is how it's almost become a buzzword or shorthand for just being scatterbrained, and I didn't want to give off that impression. But it is probably the source of at least some of my issues.

And it does suck so much to deal with, and to know that to an outside observer you might just look like a careless slob even when you're trying your best to keep things together. It gets old and I may have become overly defensive about it, so apologies if I started a derail or something.