Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is riser a double wide cube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A double-wide cube? buddy that's a cuboid.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Is riser a double wide cube?

Nah, just some creative snipping of dowels, and leaving panels out, when putting it together

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Annnnnnd now I have realised I have it turned around the wrong way :v:

(The holes in the top right should be at the back)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Infinitum posted:

Twilight Imperium chat.

Got a game day for it next weekend. I've drafted:
- Emirates of Hacan
- L1z1X Mindnet
- Nekro Virus

Out of curiosity, who would yall pick to play?
My preferences is ~~~~~~in the order that they're listed~~~~~~

Depends on a few variables.

Nekro has insane action economy to make up for their inability to vote or or tech. They usually wind up on banlists because of how many command counters they get.

Emirates of Hacan are fantastic in 4 or 8 player games since trade is always being taken. But it’s a sad day when Hacan has to personally take the trade card.

But I personally would pick L1Z1X of the three, since I’ve got dreadnought brain rot and the L1Z1X can go pretty far on an all dreadnought fleet.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Twilight Imperium chat.

- Emirates of Hacan
- L1z1X Mindnet
- Nekro Virus

I like the Nekro Virus because you get to check out of diplomacy and are strongly rewarded for being very aggressive. If a bunch of tech objectives appear you can easily get them by stealing them. You also make your neighbors highly nervous—whenever they research a tech you don’t have they know you’re coming.

The Emirates are a safe option. Their control of trade is very powerful and can give you an economic edge.

I don’t play the Lizix much but if I remember right they are bland. I think they beef up their dreadnoughts.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lizix are kinda bland taken as a whole but their dreadnoughts are fantastic and able to take most planets by their lonesome. Being able to carry two troops, bombard every combat round instead of just the first, and ignore PDS with the expansion is a huge deal. Plus their “Inheritance Systems” tech lets you ignore the tech tree and go straight for the good stuff.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

PerniciousKnid posted:

How much card game do you need to buy to be as repayable as the board game?

Core box and edge of the earth maybe? The individual investigator expansion packs are also really good.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
For someone with no Cartographers, should I get original Cartographers or Cartographers Heroes these days?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I need a recommendation for a board game for a group of 3+ adults. Accommodating more people is better.

My only criteria is that isn't a card game or doesn't have loads of cards/tokens to keep track of.

That, and we've all played our share of Ticket to Ride/Catan/Root. Root is about as complex as I want to go, and even that one was kinda across the line in terms of complexity. They also passed on Scythe.

The games take place at a work social, which means the players can be somewhat distracted when it's not their turn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I need a recommendation for a board game for a group of 3+ adults. Accommodating more people is better.

My only criteria is that isn't a card game or doesn't have loads of cards/tokens to keep track of.

That, and we've all played our share of Ticket to Ride/Catan/Root. Root is about as complex as I want to go, and even that one was kinda across the line in terms of complexity. They also passed on Scythe.

The games take place at a work social, which means the players can be somewhat distracted when it's not their turn.

What's your play time limit?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I need a recommendation for a board game for a group of 3+ adults.

The OP has many suggestions divided by complexity and player count as well... but I am having trouble finding a suggestion for this. Some fail because:
  • they can't accept 3 (Codenames, Insider)
  • are card games (The Crew and High Society)
  • might not play good with distracted players (Railroad Ink? I think the simultaneous turns will make distracted players cause it to drag out when they rejoin the action, but someone could correct me)
Just One would fit the bill, since a single distracted player won't hopefully matter, but it is very very simple. Lots of fun, though. Maybe Carcasonne? People can be distracted but they game has a visible state so they can catch up whenever.

Wavelength might be good for similar reasons, or even the Wavelength App which is like the board game except it's free (supported by in-app purchase of additional packs) and fully cooperative.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

We've got a few favs at the moment that could fit this bill -
Raiders of the North Sea (or raiders of scythia) - Worker placement game with low downtime at 3 players, not a massive amount of cards to keep track of and a satisfying gameplay loop. Scythia is the newer more condensed version but I preferred the aesthetic of North Sea.

Suburbia - economic city building tile placement. Low downtime with some good levels of interaction without feeling like a total head to head game. Downtime minimized. Very economy focused though so ymmv.

My City - fast playing legacy(ish) puzzley game by Reiner Knizia that's very easy to learn and it's legacy component is more about rules introduction than anything particularly crazy. Really really good fun and play is around 15 to 20min for 3 players.
Also can be played non legacy at any point with reverse of player boards

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Power Grid handles 3-6 players, has only a few tokens, and the cards aren't really cards in that they don't form a hand -- you bid on the power plants and up to three of them sit in front of you in a relatively static manner. Not too many fiddle tokens either. Distracted players might be a problem during auction phases though.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think my post got lost in the drama. Any other cool boardgames inspired by Chinese History? I got Three Kingdoms Redux ordered and I'm curious at how tapped that design space is.

Digging this one up from a few pages back because I happened to see a YouTuber review Yellow and Yangtze quite favorably today, so might be worth a look. It's based on Tigris and Euphrates, with a few changes for flavor, so if you already have that, maybe take a pass, but otherwise seems dece unless you don't like Reiner Kniza games for some reason.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Few components
The Estates
Canvas
Queendomino

Cards but no hands
Splendor

No cards but more components
Azul (any version)
Sagrada

More complex but way less than root
Viticulture
Isle of Cats
Tzolkin
Parks

The games I keep at work
Six Nimmit
Codenames
Splendor
Azul
Viticulture
The Estates
Pictomania
Sushi Go

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

St0rmD posted:

Digging this one up from a few pages back because I happened to see a YouTuber review Yellow and Yangtze quite favorably today, so might be worth a look. It's based on Tigris and Euphrates, with a few changes for flavor, so if you already have that, maybe take a pass, but otherwise seems dece unless you don't like Reiner Kniza games for some reason.

I'll add to my list, spent a bit too much recently so I'll have to wait for more boardgame purchases haha.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I played Santa Monica for the first time the other day. Really fun lightweight tableau-builder. I got the VIP who just wants to go shopping, and built a million crappy stores in a line, then managed to get a bunch of people-spots on the beach to dump all the tourists in at the last second.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

St0rmD posted:

I think it’s very hard to get and out of print at the moment.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

What's your play time limit?

Roughly 3 hours, tops. People can be slow to roll in, but nobody wants to leave work much later than that. needless to say, games wont be continued between sessions.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll look into them!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Quacks of Quedlinburg

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just a measly 388 Quacks tokens to deluxify :suicide:

Edit: First batch done. These feel amazing in the bags now. 10/10 recommended upgrade.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 11, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Triskelli posted:

Depends on a few variables.

Nekro has insane action economy to make up for their inability to vote or or tech. They usually wind up on banlists because of how many command counters they get.

Emirates of Hacan are fantastic in 4 or 8 player games since trade is always being taken. But it’s a sad day when Hacan has to personally take the trade card.

But I personally would pick L1Z1X of the three, since I’ve got dreadnought brain rot and the L1Z1X can go pretty far on an all dreadnought fleet.

SettingSun posted:

I like the Nekro Virus because you get to check out of diplomacy and are strongly rewarded for being very aggressive. If a bunch of tech objectives appear you can easily get them by stealing them. You also make your neighbors highly nervous—whenever they research a tech you don’t have they know you’re coming.

The Emirates are a safe option. Their control of trade is very powerful and can give you an economic edge.

I don’t play the Lizix much but if I remember right they are bland. I think they beef up their dreadnoughts.

Yeah I'd only go Emirates as the safe option.

Haven't played for a few years due to covid, but I'm definitely leaning towards being aggressive rather than the merchant kings.

L1Z1X Mindnet is probably that middle ground between skill and agression :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

The OP has many suggestions divided by complexity and player count as well... but I am having trouble finding a suggestion for this. Some fail because:
  • they can't accept 3 (Codenames, Insider)
  • are card games (The Crew and High Society)
  • might not play good with distracted players (Railroad Ink? I think the simultaneous turns will make distracted players cause it to drag out when they rejoin the action, but someone could correct me)
Just One would fit the bill, since a single distracted player won't hopefully matter, but it is very very simple. Lots of fun, though. Maybe Carcasonne? People can be distracted but they game has a visible state so they can catch up whenever.

Wavelength might be good for similar reasons, or even the Wavelength App which is like the board game except it's free (supported by in-app purchase of additional packs) and fully cooperative.

There is a Codenames variant for 3 with a single clue giver and the other two players competing against each other. I can't say that it would work very well, though.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Radioactive Toy posted:

For someone with no Cartographers, should I get original Cartographers or Cartographers Heroes these days?

I have both (I've actually bought Cartographers: Heroes three times through bad collection management), and I'd say Cartographers is the more elegant of the two - heroes adds a bit, but mostly it's just fussier for no real outcome.

They're both good, but I like the first one more.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

388 tokens = 1 1/2 movies

Resident Idiot posted:

(I've actually bought Cartographers: Heroes three times through bad collection management)

:bighow:

Also as noted, based Cartographers is very good.

Heroes + extra maps if you want to add some extra bits and bobs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Sorry, we're all woke Cartographers here and we won't stand for your rampant cultural imperialism.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You leave my phone's autocorrect about of this.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Infinitum posted:

Twilight Imperium chat.

- Emirates of Hacan
- L1z1X Mindnet
- Nekro Virus

Oh man, am I too late to weigh in? No one ever talks about TI!

I personally think Hacan are kind of ... dull isn't the right word, they're really cool and fun, but you're fairly railroaded into what you're gonna do all game. I think because what they do is big and splashy and obvious, I've never actually seen them win. Like they're one of those faction where everyone at the table is watching them do their thing and get bigger, y'know? So it's kind of like, "Its got to that point where we have to stop Hacan" and everyone sagely nods and stops them going bonkers.

Nekro is kind of the same, except I honestly think that just going for constant fights with them is wrong. If you're seen as a parasitic enemy by everyone on the table, it's actually really hard to win. You've gotta be more than just an opportunist rear end in a top hat, and actually play to their strength of having a billion command tokens to get work done, I think. I see more nuance in Nekro than Hacan.

L1z1X is sort of the opposite of both. Sure they're good at taking planets, but taking planets is kind of the name of the game. It means you're really good at gunboat diplomacy, and that I think is where they shine. In the first few turns you can convince people to let you take juicy planets, but from then on, no one is really gonna look round the table and go "OH poo poo l1z1X is doing their thing!" like they do with the other two despite the fact those planets are still buffing you. And then you turn that diplomacy into concrete gunboats with your mad tech abilities. I agree with Triskelli, that actually the 'blandness' is actually more exciting, and would go with them.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Infinitum posted:

388 tokens = 1 1/2 movies

:bighow:

Heroes + extra maps if you want to add some extra bits and bobs.

I thought about doing this for Anno 1800, but after searching online, doing a full upgrade of all the tokens would cost more than I paid for the game.

So of course I started looking at $1000 3D printers... I am very smart, why do you ask?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

WhiteHowler posted:

I thought about doing this for Anno 1800, but after searching online, doing a full upgrade of all the tokens would cost more than I paid for the game.

So of course I started looking at $1000 3D printers... I am very smart, why do you ask?

I want a 3D printer so badly because the sky is the limit afterwards but between initial start-up costs and finding the goddamn room to even put the bloody thing, I don't think it's feasible at this moment in time until we move forward with getting a bigger space. That said, our public library has a printer you can use for free that I should start taking advantage of. I haven't tried it personally but have heard good things from a friend who is slowly building inserts for some of his favourite games.

Lately I've just been doing Folded Space and buying trays/upgrade kits from the nice Polish fellows at Cubes4Me.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

This is by far the best investment anyone that enjoy the organizational aspect of board games can make.

My printer has done 1000+ prints over 6500 hours since I got it in 2018. 95% of those were for board games. It’s a wonderful addition to the hobby, and purchasing a nicer model pays dividends. My Dremel 3D45 has only had 1 failed print. My only complaint is the print bed is a bit smaller than I would like.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

FulsomFrank posted:

I want a 3D printer so badly because the sky is the limit afterwards but between initial start-up costs and finding the goddamn room to even put the bloody thing, I don't think it's feasible at this moment in time until we move forward with getting a bigger space. That said, our public library has a printer you can use for free that I should start taking advantage of. I haven't tried it personally but have heard good things from a friend who is slowly building inserts for some of his favourite games.

Lately I've just been doing Folded Space and buying trays/upgrade kits from the nice Polish fellows at Cubes4Me.

See the real pro strat is to simply get a friend who fell down a deep hole on 3D printing and starts selling poo poo on Etsy and whatever and now has a room full of a dozen different printers and dozens of spools of filament filling her basement.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Requesting thread takes on merchants of the dark road

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Glagha posted:

See the real pro strat is to simply get a friend who fell down a deep hole on 3D printing and starts selling poo poo on Etsy and whatever and now has a room full of a dozen different printers and dozens of spools of filament filling her basement.

Yeah, I got a 3D printer thinking it'd be a fun addition to my boardgaming hobby when it turns out it was an entirely new hobby that I really didn't have time for.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Requesting thread takes on merchants of the dark road

I loving hated it but everyone else playing loved it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got my copy of Three Kingdoms Redux!

Now it goes into the big pile of unplayed boardgames.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

MonsieurChoc posted:

Got my copy of Three Kingdoms Redux!

Now it goes into the big pile of unplayed boardgames.

Don't worry, friend! You'll get to it... eventually!

(I bought my copy about five years ago and still haven't played it.)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

WhiteHowler posted:

No need to spend $1000+ when you can get e.g. a CR-10S Pro (or Pro V2), which is much cheaper and more than good enough at printing inserts. Here's some I printed this week at 0.28 ("draft" resolution) on the V2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You can also print out some poker chips for your train games with a plastic-saving design (instead of buying nice chips with a nice feel to them, but it's a lot cheaper and a good way to use up ends of filament rolls.)

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/efficient-poker-set