Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

eXXon posted:

Personally I think managers contribute valuable labour, and CEOs should be able to unionize and negotiate a fair wage of salary and stock options up to an including the median for their employees.

There is a union in my local transit system for supservisors/managers, only the ones directly appointed by the city aren't covered afaik. Lots of managers are exploted and managerial labour is absoloutely still labour.

Oxyclean posted:

When the public transit of my city went on strike and hosed over countless people (namely lower income folks), did that devalue the meaning of a strike?

When my public transit went on strike and I didn't own a car I had to walk 5km to work in the winter every day. But I supported the bus drivers because the city could have ended the strike by agreeing to stop exploiting their employees but they chose not to.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

The difference is whether or not they can hire and fire people not how much money they make holy gently caress. If a manager can't hire or fire anyone they should absolutely be able to strike with all the other workers.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Please rename this thread "managerial labour".

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

no one would notice if CEO's went on strike

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBC posted:

Show me on the doll where the evil bus drivers touched you.
I dodged a bullet by basically being between things, but had it happened at any other time it probably would have hosed over my education or job. But I'd also say whatever part of the body is the one where half hour or greater frequency buses decided to pull away as I'm running for them, or show up to the station early and pull away early.

Maybe it's the exception, but I've heard of a transit strike in Japan that worked by still running service but not collecting fares.

At the end of the day, I agree and support for the right to strike, but it feels like we're coming up with some weird rules about what is a real strike or not, because I'd say loving over other working class people by shutting down essential services does not make for a very great strike if we're coming up with caveats.

Like, I feels more like as long as you don't alone have the power/leverage to properly negotiate your labor/employment?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As others have mentioned, in the context of teachers strikes, public transit strikes, etc... their employers absolutely have the ability to negotiate to avert a strike, it's not the workers' fault if they refuse to do so.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Ya we would, there'd be a reprieve from companies hoovering up lesser companies and laying off as many staff as possible in this wonderful era of end stage capitalism that's basically highlander without the swords.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's definitely a huge grey area in today's workplace of people who have 'manager-adjacent' responsibilities but can easily still be exploited by higher ups; most work places aren't just a bunch of low-medium skilled labourers on an assembly line; but programmers working in "teams" with several layers of responsibility and delegation between them and CEOs.

My Crown story or rather my dad's crown story is a crown once stole a WW2 Luger from him. Just picked it up and walked off with it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I feel like a large percentage of posters here need to be sent to labour reeducation camps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If it's not from the Frappé region of France, it's just sparkling labor stoppage.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Are you suggesting that the prophet of the modern age, Ayn "gently caress You, Got Mine" Rand, was incorrect in her assertion that CEOs are the most valuable members of society?

:wotwot:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Can't say I expected to see an argument that only a certain class of people are "allowed" to strike.
When you've gone so far left that you wrap right back around.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mad Hamish posted:

Are you suggesting that the prophet of the modern age, Ayn "gently caress You, Got Mine" Rand, was incorrect in her assertion that CEOs are the most valuable members of society?

The president/ceo of my company is named after one of her characters and holy moly does he act like it

Just poo poo canned the COO and took his role too

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

yes, yes i am. :black101:

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Fidelitious posted:

Can't say I expected to see an argument that only a certain class of people are "allowed" to strike.

Scab CEOs should be shot down when they arrive in their helicopters.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Fidelitious posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

RBC posted:

Doesn't seem to be a joke, and it makes sense even from a marxist perspective; he wrote a whole thing about how the processes of capitalism convert the formerly bourgeoisie into the proletariat, so it follows that the bourgeoisie should be allowed to resist capitalism by striking no?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

RBC posted:

And your dogged insistence that there's an income threshold above which it is impossible to strike is insane enough to be barely distinguishable from parody, but here we are.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m saying this half jokingly, but technically wouldn’t it make sense for an employer, who has a high paid union, to pay the members just above the strike threshold so they can’t strike anymore? Or what happens if the union negotiates too high of a raise and then the members find out they can’t strike anymore?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m saying this half jokingly, but technically wouldn’t it make sense for an employer, who has a high paid union, to pay the members just above the strike threshold so they can’t strike anymore? Or what happens if the union negotiates too high of a raise and then the members find out they can’t strike anymore?

I imagine at some point inflation and workplace hazards make it imperative to regularly renegotiate salaries/raises; especially if the business is expanding and uses temp/non-salaried labour. Also I imagine many companies might feel a downward pressure from shareholders and the like as an example to keep costs low so actually generously raising wages might be difficult to justify since staffing is a huge chunk of "expenses".

And places that did give good raises faced a lot of backlash, like that one young CEO guy who decided one day everyone in his startup would be paid a living wage; he lost a chunk of workers who disliked people suddenly making as much as they did and he lost clients/customers who now thought his company's services/products would be too expensive; just a huge amount of irrationality is baked into corporate capitalism.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Raenir Salazar posted:

I imagine at some point inflation and workplace hazards make it imperative to regularly renegotiate salaries/raises; especially if the business is expanding and uses temp/non-salaried labour. Also I imagine many companies might feel a downward pressure from shareholders and the like as an example to keep costs low so actually generously raising wages might be difficult to justify since staffing is a huge chunk of "expenses".

And places that did give good raises faced a lot of backlash, like that one young CEO guy who decided one day everyone in his startup would be paid a living wage; he lost a chunk of workers who disliked people suddenly making as much as they did and he lost clients/customers who now thought his company's services/products would be too expensive; just a huge amount of irrationality is baked into corporate capitalism.
Yeah, fair enough. I remember all the articles and talking heads on business shows proclaiming that Gravity Payments would be out of business within a year; the company is still around.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Mr. Apollo posted:

This is literally how labour negotiations work. Jfc

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One weird trick unions hate: avoid labour strife by compensating workers generously.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

linoleum floors posted:

This is literally how labour negotiations work. Jfc

It is not. There is no maximum pay above which you magically become management.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

RBC posted:

I mean, I'm not the one in favour of restricting labour rights based on how much money you make so you tell me who the joker is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CBC: Don't panic but... panic! They were on the radio today saying stock up, be careful!

Super blizzard hitting Southern MB Tuesdsay night and going till Thursday or something :lol: 30-80 cm? Who knows. I thought the weather is kinda warm enough that it won't be a big deal but it's dipping.

I trust in Frankie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lTcq56fgPM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Also CBC: A tearful profile of a "homeless landlord", brought low by LTB and rental regulations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress I heard that and was infuriated.

"I own 2 houses and i got a divorce and now they just won't leave and they put peanut butter everywhere"

Yeah, well - you kicked em out - gently caress you.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Peanut butter everywhere?? Is that the Canadian polite version of smearing feces on the walls?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oh no my small business failed because it was regulated out of existence for some unknowable reason, surely I must be the victim in all of this

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I feel like I've time travelled - I thought landlord apologia talking about how they can't evict anyone and they're all gonna be homeless was all summer 2020 stuff.

Why is this coming out now like 2 years after the fact?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Human interest?

Or maybe a concerted push to get the soon-to-be-re-elected PCPO majority to reform tenants rights.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
All animalsworkers are equal. Some are more equal than others.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

“I guarantee you I will never rent again.”

Sounds like a happy ending to me.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kibayasu posted:

“I guarantee you I will never rent again.”

Sounds like a happy ending to me.

If you're sleeping in teh bank's car, technically you're leasing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm interested to hear how someone who owned two homes and was presumably forced to sell one of them (or get bought out by their ex-spouse, I don't know how this poo poo works) can't afford to rent even a studio apartment, but for some reason the article doesn't discuss this.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

eXXon posted:

I'm interested to hear how someone who owned two homes and was presumably forced to sell one of them (or get bought out by their ex-spouse, I don't know how this poo poo works) can't afford to rent even a studio apartment, but for some reason the article doesn't discuss this.

If it is a divorce settlement they were likely bought out for zero dollars as they kept the other house. They then split the $18 in the checking account.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Crow Buddy posted:

If it is a divorce settlement they were likely bought out for zero dollars as they kept the other house. They then split the $18 in the checking account.

Well it says there was a mortgage on the second house so unless they had equal equity in both, surely there'd be a payout in one direction or the other?

Alternatively, neither of them were anywhere near paid off and they just had massive liabilities on modest income but there's no way government policies would allow, let alone encourage that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Found the target demo for that CBC article: (the in-line link is the article)