Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Dynamite Dog posted:

So it’s the games fault you can’t go ten feet without running into a wall?

I mean, yeah, kinda. This game has serious problems with getting stuck on random poo poo. I don’t think that’s even debatable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hefty posted:

I mean, yeah, kinda. This game has serious problems with getting stuck on random poo poo. I don’t think that’s even debatable?

Yeah it’s pretty bad sometimes too. Don’t ever try and roll on a bridge because lol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Dynamite Dog posted:

Yes, it sucks. Especially when the wall is invisible. Have you really not noticed this with mobility skills and sprinting on mounts?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Agreeing with everyone else here, running/boosting skills need adjustments.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

A lot of the voicework doesn't even match the actual dialogue on screen either, so you end up getting these phoned-in, bland performances that are also completely wrong.

Just get the korean vo dlc (it is free) and then enable it in the client. It is way better.

Jelly posted:

I love how useless the run/boost feature is for your mounts.

Like, in theory, it should be somewhat useful (like your space bar boat command), but in practice it gets hung up on bullshit 90% of the time I use it.

Just running absolutely never gets hung up on anything. Like, ever. Absolutely never. The pathing function works well for normal running, and for some reason does not when using a boost function with your mount.

It's so transparently comical, like you'll be normal running, and then the second you hit Q, or whatever, you'll immediately snag something that you 100% would not have snagged if you were to just continue regularly running.

I have to assume this is on purpose for slog design because I roll my eyes at it at least a dozen times per hour and wonder why I continue to bother with it as I'm about 90% sure I would get around faster by ignoring it altogether.

Protip from my experience: Get the silver raptor mount now up on twitch prime. Just like the chocobo like mounts, you hold q to sprint instead of space bar dashing. So when you get stuck you can just let go and keep going. Skill still hits cooldown, but at least you aren't stuck for the entire dash animation time.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Dynamite Dog posted:

So easy to spot the fanboys who cannot handle a word of criticism about their favorite game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jelly posted:

So easy to spot the fanboys who cannot handle a word of criticism about their favorite game.

I wouldn't say that, it just might not be obvious to everyone what the problem really is, or that it's a problem at all. I dunno!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Seemed like a needlessly snarky reply to me considering I described the problem pretty specifically. Like if you've played more than ten hours of this game and haven't noticed that I don't really know what to tell you, and considering most people in this thread have probably played ten times that long...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It really sucks when you are moving around a boss and hit the invisible wall and you’ve blown your movement skill because of it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I wonder if it's something weird like characters having 2 hit boxes. A smaller one for out of combat and a larger one that turns on when you activate an ability, dodge roll, etc.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Jelly posted:

Seemed like a needlessly snarky reply to me considering I described the problem pretty specifically. Like if you've played more than ten hours of this game and haven't noticed that I don't really know what to tell you, and considering most people in this thread have probably played ten times that long...

Imagine using hyperbole when you post, a real posting crime.

I think it increases the collision size when you use an ability, and then you slam into everything. Makes sense for character movement abilities since they're actually attacks, but pretty weird on mounts. It does make it feel "nice" when I actually double jump on my mount without ramming into a wall though.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I also wish leap skills could navigate over a pop-can sized rock. I at least get that for a design choice, but it's still a bit disappointing that the movement skills don't have the limited versatility that they do in something like Diablo.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Kaysette posted:

Yes, it sucks. Especially when the wall is invisible. Have you really not noticed this with mobility skills and sprinting on mounts?

I haven’t. I’ve got lots of movement on scrapper and gunslinger abilities (and obviously mounts) and can’t remember this happening to me much less think it’s a constant issue

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dynamite Dog posted:

I haven’t. I’ve got lots of movement on scrapper and gunslinger abilities (and obviously mounts) and can’t remember this happening to me much less think it’s a constant issue

Are you sure you are playing Lost ark?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Do people look at the map? I’m honestly baffled.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What about on mounts? That is where I run into it the most.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah there's a lot of stuff that your character will auto maneuver when just walking but will stop dead on if you mount sprint, dodge into etc

But then weirdly there's some moves that are better about it, like Lightning Kick

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Maybe it's something about the perspective, but there are spots on the Alaric fight where the pathable area on the platform isn't as big as you'd think based on the visuals. And instead of sliding along the edge, your character will get hung up entirely.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
On the desert guardian raid map with the two rope bridges that go off the left and right, anyone who says they don't bonk their head on the edges of that narrow bridge every time they dash across it is a fuckin liar.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lol i ran out of simple oreha fusion material so I guess I'm done honing until I get more from a login bonus, cause gently caress paying 9g per from the AH, and gently caress the 200g craft cost per 30 if I were to even get the mats to make at the stronghold.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The 120 gold spent directly on a honing attempt is no big deal, but the extra 36 gold spent on fusion material is suddenly a deal breaker?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

QuantaStarFire posted:

A lot of the voicework doesn't even match the actual dialogue on screen either, so you end up getting these phoned-in, bland performances that are also completely wrong.

Thank loving god that I finally got the Anguished Island Omnium star cause “let’s play hide and seek!” was starting to drive me insane

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jabor posted:

The 120 gold spent directly on a honing attempt is no big deal, but the extra 36 gold spent on fusion material is suddenly a deal breaker?
I honestly didn't notice how much gold I was spending on hones, (although that might just be because I'm only breaking into that range one - at level 10 my stuff takes 70 ) but given how little I'm making, yes, the extra 36 on fusion mats is a deal breaker.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Oxyclean posted:

I honestly didn't notice how much gold I was spending on hones, (although that might just be because I'm only breaking into that range one - at level 10 my stuff takes 70 ) but given how little I'm making, yes, the extra 36 on fusion mats is a deal breaker.

Go do those daily dungeons that pop up around the world, the extra gold you get from those will easily cover the crafting costs, at least.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Do the merchants at your stronghold cycle their inventories in meaningful ways?

I guess what I'm really saying is if the dispatch character(s) are already purchased, should I feel free to spend my seals on other items?

And I guess that logic would be reliant on each vendor taking different seals and there only being one of each...

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There are more merchants you can unlock for your stronghold that offer different things.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
You get used to the walls and stop getting stuck on them after a while. A long while as long as you keep trying and learning. I can use dashes, shield charge, and shoulder charge on bridges pretty consistently at this point but I used to get stuck constantly.

Playing a warrior helped because their size is closest to the actual hitbox size. The only other trick is you can't really do it right next to walls/objects despite how it might look. It's mostly getting a feel for how far is far enough.

Jelly posted:

Do the merchants at your stronghold cycle their inventories in meaningful ways?
Certain items cycle on them and others are static.

The skull guy cycles craftables, the one that sells gienah coins cycles crew, and it's pretty much all minor stuff like that. Once you unlock more merchants there's a bunch of other stuff.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 10, 2022

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
For me what seems like an obvious easy straight path next to wall to dash/blink makes me dash/blink in place and waste my cooldown. Then the big giant guardian or whatever will step on me and lock me into the wall and I get pummeled for 10 seconds before I could move. This is super obvious in naruni racing where your tackle always seems to get stuck on a wall. I now started to avoid all walls when trying to use any movement abilities.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
i don't mind the clunky walls cause eh, is what it is but I really mind the lovely, unclear graphics and goofy hitboxes on too many boss attacks. I feel like Igrexion's grill attack and the tri-beam attack the ghost ship boss does are two pretty obvious examples

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

idiotsavant posted:

i don't mind the clunky walls cause eh, is what it is but I really mind the lovely, unclear graphics and goofy hitboxes on too many boss attacks. I feel like Igrexion's grill attack and the tri-beam attack the ghost ship boss does are two pretty obvious examples

Yeah it seems like your hitbox is like way bigger than the model as well. Cracked ground line eruption attacks are horrible trying to stand inbetween for the safe spot. Igrexion, argos, oreha's well, etc. I'm clearly in between them but nope I get hit anyways. I hate those.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's better with a hoverboard since you'll likely only be caught for a second.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Velveteen posted:

an obvious easy straight path next to wall to dash/blink makes me dash/blink in place and waste my cooldown

this is what i expected most people to say they were doing

walls stop momentum no matter what the angle of the contact is. Ninety degrees stops you, but so does a one degree hit. The alternative is redirecting player momentum which is how you end up with stuff like all of the fun things Doomfist can do on geometry in Overwatch (only it would be wildly less controllable and useful in this game)

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

The turtle mount in my experience is the one that collides the least with things. Everything else is broken. It's painfully obvious that there is a problem because if you use auto run, your character will navigate around obstacles no problem but if you're manually guiding the path then it's like a roomba stuck under a nightstand.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

afkmacro posted:

The turtle mount in my experience is the one that collides the least with things. Everything else is broken. It's painfully obvious that there is a problem because if you use auto run, your character will navigate around obstacles no problem but if you're manually guiding the path then it's like a roomba stuck under a nightstand.

This excites me as I think I'm unlocking that today.

Dynamite Dog, how do you like your Scrapper? I am enjoying mine (so far the only class I've played) but it seems like a lot of people poo poo on the class. And which class engraving do you build around? I'm up to 1300 now and have always ran Taijutsu.

I'm going to build a Bard alt soon but haven't quite got around to it yet. This game has a lot for completionists.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I've been playing Shock Scrapper (1355 atm) and I like it a lot. The playstyle is completely different than Taijutsu though. Shock is all about hit and run to land big high committal shock attacks in melee range from the back so you really have to have a strong grasp of when the boss is getting animation locked to safely do so without having to dash cancel your own animation and losing out on a ton of damage. Thanks to that, I regularly see like 2 million+ crits with Death Rattle or Supernova. But besides that, the biggest downside between Shock and Taijutsu Scrapper is the same, they have no additional survivability besides having higher than average damage reduction.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just play Gunlancer like me so you can just get annoyed whenever you're forced to interact with mechanics at all.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

My Tai Scrapper is just under 1400 and I can honestly see why the class isn't considered top tier right now. The damage output is noticeably worse than meta dps picks (sorc/zerker/deathblade etc). I have an easier time picking up top damage accolades on the mvp screen on basically all of my other alts. More generally, there are a lot of very melee unfriendly encounters, especially considering the importance of Back Attacks, and from what I understand that doesn't really get any better as we move into the various legion raids.

In the current PvP meta scrapper is pretty much considered the weakest class currently. They specialize in CC and have a lot of ability to stick to targets and keep them on their asses, but they're also extremely predictable, easy to peel and don't have particularly good damage. That toolkit can still be strong but it really relies on your team capitalizing on your ability to disrupt the enemy team, which is a big ask when the main pvp format is solo queue pug 3v3s.

Scrapper does bring a ton of weak point and stagger in their base kit, and its nice being able to effectively solo those mechanics for your party. I'd disagree with Hyper Inferno about survivability being a weakness, on the contrary I think the built in durability is very noticeable and in combination with having excellent mobility that makes them extremely survivable. There are also rumors of buffs or a rework in future apparently? Not sure what the source of those rumors are tho.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
All of the martial artist classes apparently get a ton better as we get the 1445+ sets and relic gear.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hit button posted:

My Tai Scrapper is just under 1400 and I can honestly see why the class isn't considered top tier right now. The damage output is noticeably worse than meta dps picks (sorc/zerker/deathblade etc). I have an easier time picking up top damage accolades on the mvp screen on basically all of my other alts. More generally, there are a lot of very melee unfriendly encounters, especially considering the importance of Back Attacks, and from what I understand that doesn't really get any better as we move into the various legion raids.

In the current PvP meta scrapper is pretty much considered the weakest class currently. They specialize in CC and have a lot of ability to stick to targets and keep them on their asses, but they're also extremely predictable, easy to peel and don't have particularly good damage. That toolkit can still be strong but it really relies on your team capitalizing on your ability to disrupt the enemy team, which is a big ask when the main pvp format is solo queue pug 3v3s.

Scrapper does bring a ton of weak point and stagger in their base kit, and its nice being able to effectively solo those mechanics for your party. I'd disagree with Hyper Inferno about survivability being a weakness, on the contrary I think the built in durability is very noticeable and in combination with having excellent mobility that makes them extremely survivable. There are also rumors of buffs or a rework in future apparently? Not sure what the source of those rumors are tho.

From what I've read, wishful thinking from the playerbase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lxpLRhYVe4&t=223s timestamped to the part where he talks about the scrapper buff rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The lack of additional survivability was notable to me on Scrapper mostly because it was the first class I picked to go through all the content. Despite having all the dodges and mobility, I would still get whittled down over fights without a support to slowly regen mistakes. On top of being melee and trying to position behind the boss all the time for damage, there were a lot of times where I would have to make a quick decision between doing damage or getting hit. At least for Shock Scrapper, I feel like that's where the reputation would come from, in that bad or even average Scrappers are going to be doing little damage because they can't position correctly to dodge and hit at the same time, or they're going to spending a lot of the fight dead on the floor because they ate too many hits while trying to let their skills go through all the way. And even when played well, it's a lot of effort to just be on par with the other DPS classes.

I guess the survivability bit is true for a lot of classes really, but even like a Mayhem Berserker gets to fully heal with a single green pot and Demonic Impulse Shadow Hunter gets minor heals over time.