Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Great show, nailed the finale. I read someone complaining that it was billed as comedic, but was not funny. I had some real belly laughs throughout.

Only minus point was Adam Scott not having a long list of people to say hello to.

Is there a term for this type of comedy? Like horrific comedy? There is certainly a strong element of comedy but it's loving horrific/depressing/sad. I can see it being called dark comedy, but I think of something slightly different when I hear people say something is a dark comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

Is there a term for this type of comedy? Like horrific comedy? There is certainly a strong element of comedy but it's loving horrific/depressing/sad. I can see it being called dark comedy, but I think of something slightly different when I hear people say something is a dark comedy.

I think I’d label it as absurd. Just so off normal that even if it’s bad you can’t help but process it as funny. Like laughing at someone getting hurt, I guess.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

dpkg chopra posted:

Cobel rushing to the Lumon party only to do… nothing, was extremely weird. Especially since apparently as a fired employee she was allowed to essentially just walk in all the way to the stage unimpeded.

Her finding out about Mark literally changed nothing except I suppose allowing Milchick to focus on Dylan because she was going to handle Helly herself.

If she’d kept the baby at least that was leverage but as it stands she basically did not profit at all from her discovery.

Just a weird decision in what was otherwise a really tight episode.

She left her car in drive to cause a distraction at the front door at least. Also, as an ex-Lumon, she could act very well as she belongs there and has shown some pretty good innate chameleon skills. All things considered, Helly R was also playing her part pretty well and any further force to stop Helly R would have looked like an assault on Helena.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 10, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, any further insistence on Cobel's part would make her look like a nutjob and she'd be removed.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I never, ever, laugh during shows, and this show got me to laugh out loud twice:

1) when mark was reading Ricken's book in the supply closet for the first time with the words showing up on the screen, and it was just... so absurd but also kind of meaningful

2) Burt's going away video was a banger the whole way through, and just got funnier and funnier as it went along

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Black comedy. Wikipedia calls it a “sci fi thriller”, but I'd say it's a black thrilledy.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

As the british would say "proper black" comedy. Black mirror isn't that far from this.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Ricken and Mark interrupted by that guy saying the neti pot was ready is another great throwaway joke

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

zoux posted:

Black comedy. Wikipedia calls it a “sci fi thriller”, but I'd say it's a black thrilledy.

the term is thrill-omedy

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
if i was describing the show, i'd say it's a sci-fi thriller first. it's not a comedy. it's a funny show, but only when it fits the drama of the show, rather than the other way around. they'll take a good opportunity for a joke when it's there but the priority is exploring the drama of the premise. like burt's retirement video speech, which was hilarious, but was in line with the horrific absurdity of the severance procedure.

i don't think even black comedy applies really. there is way too much pathos throughout the show to call it that. black comedy is usually very arch in how it looks at its characters. this takes a realistic and sympathetic perspective with all of the protagonists.

ricken and his idiot friends are a bit of an exception, and they stood out to some of us as a bit out of place in the first episode if you look back, because they were so broad in comparison to everything else. ricken's already gotten a bit of dimensionality though and he's a really minor part of the show, his friends are only in 2 episodes for a couple of minutes each.

i'm really just saying, if you try to get people to watch this by calling it a black comedy or a comedy, i don't think they'll get what they think they're going to get, especially with the people attached to the show.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 10, 2022

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

No one would have ever thought to call Severance a comedy if it wasn't Ben Stiller directing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they cast a bunch of people who are nearly exclusively known for being comedians, who are very funny in it

it's not just a comedy but lol come on we're not saying that because Ben Stiller directs it

eke out fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 10, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's absolutely got a strong, blackly comic vein of humour. Whether that makes it a comedy, well, that's up to you.

Genre isn't neatly defined, it's amorphous and porous. A lot of ink has been spilt in academia trying to define these boundaries, but IIRC it's generally agreed that it's a pointless exercise.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I figured Irv's post-work habits were an attempt to communicate to his innie via the semi-conscious. Drink coffee to stay up all night so his innie dozes off and has dreams, listen to the same song all the time to create an earworm, etc.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

am I misremembering? I thought Mark was also seeing black goo at least on one occasion?

maybe the opening credits where he's wrestling with the goo by the trash can are subliminally affecting the series of events in my mind

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Random thought watching the first episode for the first time, this show nails sibling interaction better than most anything I've ever seen. Siblings being basically the same person, except in a few discrete ways, the role play between younger and older that still exists (comfortably, like a blanket) when you get older, the fact that ultimately its about protection and protecting your own, anyway thought that was cool.

e: no one else interacts the same way a brother and sister does, and the dialogue and acting nailed that

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Random thought watching the first episode for the first time, this show nails sibling interaction better than most anything I've ever seen. Siblings being basically the same person, except in a few discrete ways, the role play between younger and older that still exists (comfortably, like a blanket) when you get older, the fact that ultimately its about protection and protecting your own, anyway thought that was cool.

e: no one else interacts the same way a brother and sister does, and the dialogue and acting nailed that

i really liked the dichotomy they set up between that and Helena's "I think of her as a sister" bullshit versus the reality of the "you're not a person, I'll torture you forever if you gently caress with me" message she sent to Helly

Devon literally does not consider Mark S. a different person than her brother and was immediately 100% on his side, the only question was how she could best help him

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I really hope that Ricken's dumb followers are actually mostly good people too, you know? To continue the parallels between the corporate cult and Ricken's little cult of personality. (Extending what you're saying, with Helly's "sister" vs Mark's sister.)

The no food dinner party guy sucks, but I'm hopeful about the other two.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

fsif posted:

I figured Irv's post-work habits were an attempt to communicate to his innie via the semi-conscious. Drink coffee to stay up all night so his innie dozes off and has dreams, listen to the same song all the time to create an earworm, etc.

Imagine if there's another MDE and Ace of Spades is an option.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

incoherent posted:

As the british would say "proper black" comedy. Black mirror isn't that far from this.

yeah this show is basically a good black mirror episode expanded into a series

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

No one would have ever thought to call Severance a comedy if it wasn't Ben Stiller directing

Dannemora was a completely straight drama though and me had an Emmy directing nom from that

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trying to not read too much since I'm only on the second ep but this is some of the most biting, severe critique ever married to some insanely interesting philosophical ideas. Mark talking to Helly about how quitting is in effect a death sentence to the person she was now got my head spinning, Jesus christ. This is some high tier TV

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tiggum posted:

How would they explain that to all the people who knew the person in the outside world? How would they prevent some journalist from spotting that no one seems to survive quitting?

companies kill plenty of people all the time even today and we never hear about it, and we don't do anything about it when we do, the best any of us has to offer in the face of bad news is usually "type online about it." anyway, it's a moot theory now, having seen finale I'm actually a bit less scared of Lumon Party than I was before.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I mostly liked the first two episodes and I'm cautiously optimistic. The main cause for my hesitancy is the worry that it's going to completely fall apart at the end. I'm reminded of Devs, which started out really good but ended with a bunch of dumb nonsense. The nature of the company and the work they do is so obviously being set up as bad in a way that doesn't seem necessary. They were really laying it on thick in making sure we understand that the company is evil, but that's obvious from the outset and they really could have dialled it back. If they think they need to be this blunt about it, I'm worried that they only really have the premise and not a satisfying conclusion. But that's just a feeling; it's too early to judge with any confidence, so I'll keep watching and find out.

Started to read the thread from the beginning and I just had to say one huge difference between Devs and this show is that Devs from the jump hinged on a murder mystery and trying to draw the viewer into an ill defined tech metastory.

The story in Severance is crystal clear. Corporate fuckery and the people who submit to it. There's hazy bits that need to be cleared up, but the mysteries here are character based. Why do these people do this? How could these other people do that to those people?

I genuinely feel like I'm in more capable hands watching this thing so far, since it's not based on a hokey foundation.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

eke out posted:

i really liked the dichotomy they set up between that and Helena's "I think of her as a sister" bullshit versus the reality of the "you're not a person, I'll torture you forever if you gently caress with me" message she sent to Helly

Devon literally does not consider Mark S. a different person than her brother and was immediately 100% on his side, the only question was how she could best help him

Yeah this really stuck out to me. It was just instant, no-nonsense empathy and understanding. Devon is MVP

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just realized i was so caught up in the moment i didn't actually pause to mull over any new ricken quotes, besides the one about an anecdote that he points out is false to calm the nerves you obviously felt hearing about mozart doing a piano smashed face. i wonder if theyll have enough of a book written by series end to the gospel of ricken to us plebs

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/myemtv/status/1513236259979862018?s=21&t=PoljkoI3QPNnDe_TxvAJ6g

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How do you do, fellow refiners?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gonna need that keyboard

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

How do you do, fellow refiners?

I ordered the set IMMEDIATELY upon seeing the keyboard in the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For anyone else who wants to get some caps, the scheme is based on the Data General Dasher keyboard, which was a mainframe terminal in the 60s or 70s. I got mine from drop. Wish it was PBT, not ABS, but beggars can't be choosers.

https://drop.com/buy/drop-mt3-dasher-keycap-set?defaultSelectionIds=967013

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
images of keyboards without numpads is more disturbing than anything in the show

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
somes i see these colorful keyboards and i want to eat them more than i want to type on them

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Khanstant posted:

images of keyboards without numpads is more disturbing than anything in the show

Go into the keyboard recommendation thread, apparently having a numpad on your keyboard nowadays is akin to the Armenian Genocide.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can see someone useless not having a numpad if they legitimately have no use in life to quickly enter numbers, or never intend to play dwarf fortress, or never do 3d modeling or art software -- but the arrow keys being shoved right into control is absurd

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have a numpad in the top right of the image.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Keyboard posers, go!

They'll find me dead over my IBM Model M (P/N 1391406 D.O.M. 1993-02-04).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha okay the little roamer wanderer nomad vagabond numpad is p cute

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Khanstant posted:

I can see someone useless not having a numpad if they legitimately have no use in life to quickly enter numbers, or never intend to play dwarf fortress, or never do 3d modeling or art software -- but the arrow keys being shoved right into control is absurd
That style is called Ten Keyless, i.e. TKL.

If you think these are an affront to productivity, check out 60%.

Or worse, the 40% ones. I mean who the gently caress uses this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol im honestly surprised they even kept the whole alphabet, at that point, i mean, gently caress it nobody actually needs the letter C. k, h, and s can handle the job of c so chop it off the keyboard. and get rid of J, j only exists at the insistence of people named john but we all know we'd be fine without j sounds