Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keithium
Jan 7, 2013
im running around the lyndell sewers and im going insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Does Maliketh, especially in his beast clergyman form, have different dialogue depending on whether or not you completed Gurranq's quest? When I fought him I think he did compared to what I saw on some people playing on youtube who didn't finish Gurranq's questline.

yeah it changes, if you haven't finished the quest then he starts by asking who the hell you are and ends calling you an idiot and wondering what you could possibly want to kill with Destined Death, but if you gave him all the deathroots, he's distraught at your appearance and dies begging marika's forgiveness

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yes he does

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Keithium posted:

The average experience there, so I hear.

I wish the Omens had a bit less HP, they're so chunky.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

khwarezm posted:

Does Maliketh, especially in his beast clergyman form, have different dialogue depending on whether or not you completed Gurranq's quest? When I fought him I think he did compared to what I saw on some people playing on youtube who didn't finish Gurranq's questline.

Yeah it’s kind of funny, he’s like “but…why would you do that, you helped me out” and then goes into his normal shtick

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Anyone know how to move Boc's quest along? I just realized that he's been sitting at one of the capital graces since I got there. I gave him his Gold Needle forever ago, and I'm pretty sure I had him adjust some boss gear for me once. Does it just break sometimes? I'm already through Mountaintops of the Giants, about to light the fire.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You occasionally get to choose what to say to people and I wish there was occasionally the option to be more honest.

"Hast though come to this far off place in search of the Hammer of Truckin and Fuckin?"

1. Ye, verily and forsooth.
2. Nay
>3. Look lady I just fuckin fell down a hole and now I'm here I guess.

So many NPCs start getting it into their head that the player is some supreme all knowing badass and it would be a treat to see how they react to the knowledge that we just kinda show up places out of the blue and stuff just happens to us without explanation.

I didn't even know Fia was down there the first time, I just stumbled into a random rear end boss fight and she's acting like I chased her to the ends of the Earth. Fifi, ma'am, I'm just looking for loot.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 10, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Phenotype posted:

Anyone know how to move Boc's quest along? I just realized that he's been sitting at one of the capital graces since I got there. I gave him his Gold Needle forever ago, and I'm pretty sure I had him adjust some boss gear for me once. Does it just break sometimes? I'm already through Mountaintops of the Giants, about to light the fire.

That's the end of it, more or less

You can either:
1. tell him to go to talk to Rennala (don't do this, you monster)
2. use the "You're Beautiful" prattling plate" and then talk to him

But there's no physical rewards or anything.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

freebooter posted:

Really stuck on Commander Niall and I'm only remotely getting anywhere using the bewitching branch cheese (I wouldn't even call that a cheese), but I still haven't beat him despite using up:

- All the bewitching branches that merchant sells you
- All the bewitching branches I could craft after scouring the entire loving world for every last Miqullon's Lily on Fextralife, and as far as I can tell those lilies don't grow back.

Am I hosed?

attack double sword guy first

use weapon that will stagger. if he gets off the whirlwind you'll probably die

hit a few times when he spawns then run to the opposite corner (corner in the immediate right when you enter arena) so he runs towards you alone

finish him off then summon your spirit.

take out the second guy.

then make the boss chase you in circles, every time he does his charge attack dodge it, hit once, then run away

repeat until dead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

You can either:
1. tell him to go to talk to Rennala (don't do this, you monster)
2. use the "You're Beautiful" prattling plate" and then talk to him

he has unique dialogue/reactions if you take option 2 and then kill him afterward!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Phenotype posted:

Double-check that you've purchased a boss armor and modified it at least once, I know that's what tripped me up at a similar point. Also for future reference note that giving him a larval tear is not the only way to resolve the next step.

efb

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 10, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Keithium posted:

i had a weirdly good time in there, primarily because i had a great "aw gently caress" moment where i tried to get down onto a set of pipes to explore further, completely whiffed, and fell down into the local lobster pit with limited resources and had to fight my way tooth and nail out

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Vermain posted:

i had a weirdly good time in there, primarily because i had a great "aw gently caress" moment where i tried to get down onto a set of pipes to explore further, completely whiffed, and fell down into the local lobster pit with limited resources and had to fight my way tooth and nail out

Speaking of down there, that tomb is a goddamn mind gently caress, I love it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

he has unique dialogue/reactions if you take option 2 and then kill him afterward!

You’re a loving monster.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Flytrap posted:

Speaking of down there, that tomb is a goddamn mind gently caress, I love it.

That place was great

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

shoutout to that one Rune Bear in the dragonbarrow cave who randomly has like 10 thousand health

finally killed it with my third character using bleed instead of sneaking/running like you're apparently supposed to

it drops nothing and i remain traumatized

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For Dex/Faith there are some more weapons than daggers, particularly if you're brave enough some daggers. You can get Erdsteel dagger really early form Kenneth Haight, pick up a twin in the capital, and then probably my favorite weapons I've found so far The Black Knife. It's l2 is Alecto's wave attack from that horrible fight, burning away max hp and dealing damage based on that. It deals holy damage so I'm sure I'm going to fall on my rear end using this, but I wanted to use daggers for a while and this setup works great and lets me keep incantations to whip out when needed.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

You can either:

That's the deal, I'm not getting any options when I talk to him except to alter my garments. I will have to doublecheck that I've had him alter some boss gear, I guess.

Blowdryer posted:

attack double sword guy first

use weapon that will stagger. if he gets off the whirlwind you'll probably die

hit a few times when he spawns then run to the opposite corner (corner in the immediate right when you enter arena) so he runs towards you alone

finish him off then summon your spirit.

take out the second guy.

then make the boss chase you in circles, every time he does his charge attack dodge it, hit once, then run away

repeat until dead.

Just out of curiosity, what level are you "supposed" to tackle that fight at? I was around 105 or 110, and I stomped right through it first shot (using the Mimic Tear, though.) The Mimic distracted Niall and one of the knights, I bodied the dual sword knight pretty quickly with jumping attacks, then we killed the second knight together and Niall isn't really very threatening on his own. I'm under no illusions that I'm very good at this game, so it's surprising to me that this ends up being such a tough fight for people.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Smol posted:

Katana attack speed seems so fast to me right now. I might be too used to using a Greatsword.

I'm not sure if i actually like it better, but it is a fun change after using the biggest giantest swords i could find (both in this game and previous ones). They seem to complement my mainly sorcery thing i have going on right now better than big swords do as well.

Raine posted:

shoutout to that one Rune Bear in the dragonbarrow cave who randomly has like 10 thousand health

finally killed it with my third character using bleed instead of sneaking/running like you're apparently supposed to

it drops nothing and i remain traumatized

If one of the demigods had just tried to recruit those things they would have rolled over all the others with no problem

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The loving bears in this game give me a small taste of the horror that must be Alberta.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oh lol I haven't really left limgrave yet and I already have dual curved greatswords. Bloodhound and dismounter. What is happening to this playthrough?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Phenotype posted:

That's the deal, I'm not getting any options when I talk to him except to alter my garments. I will have to doublecheck that I've had him alter some boss gear, I guess.

Boc can alter all gear before or after the gold needle, just like you can

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

rune bears rank #2 behind Malenia as the hardest enemy in the game, unless you're fighting them from a rooftop or something

they're much worse than dragons and only one of them drops something useful

i bet you the devs watched that scene in The Revenant and were like "lets make a bear this terrifying in elden ring. and also make it respawning and recurring"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

The loving bears in this game give me a small taste of the horror that must be Alberta.

The bears are not as terrifying as those awful mutated bird things imo. I still don't know how to deal with the ones in Mohg's lake of blood if you can't pop them in the face with a bow from a mile away and trick them into running off a ledge. And they are insanely aggro from long distances, can close ground insanely quickly, and will never stop chasing you unless you can break LOS and somehow keep it broken. I still don't know how I managed to juke the one that was chasing me on the last White Mask Invader -- legitimately brilliant move, btw, to have these nightmare crows chasing you and then hahaha gently caress you out of nowhere your horse disappears.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Phenotype posted:

The bears are not as terrifying as those awful mutated bird things imo. I still don't know how to deal with the ones in Mohg's lake of blood if you can't pop them in the face with a bow from a mile away and trick them into running off a ledge. And they are insanely aggro from long distances, can close ground insanely quickly, and will never stop chasing you unless you can break LOS and somehow keep it broken. I still don't know how I managed to juke the one that was chasing me on the last White Mask Invader -- legitimately brilliant move, btw, to have these nightmare crows chasing you and then hahaha gently caress you out of nowhere your horse disappears.

gently caress you're right those birds are also awful. i'm not sure if they're worse than rune bears though

someone needs to use cheat engine to let them fight

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I found the birds challenging but fairly doable but the bears get a very firm Do Not Engage policy, I think I'd genuinely take most of the bosses in the game over fighting one of those at-level

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

farum azula is up in the sky how the gently caress did deathroot get there?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Speaking of bears I am 3/3 on getting caught in their grab attack, button mashing out, and having them just fall through the geometry. I don't know why this is such a foolproof strategy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I dunno, nothing can possibly top the Revenant enemies in sheer awfulness. That thing really is a Sekiro enemy ripped in here, just so fast and so little opening to ever attack and it can teleport if you have ranged tools.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raine posted:

someone needs to use cheat engine to let them fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1q9b8u8mVY

Radagon pulls it off, but barely. Twas nobly fought, runebear

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Runebears are a trick enemy. Just get behind them. Everything in 180 degree in front of them will get beaten to a pulp. No damage taken if you roll behind them.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

someone needs to find the Most Powerful Rune Bear (maybe the wandering noble stuck in the ground in Consecrated Snowfield who turns into one?) and make a video where it fights every boss in the game 1v1

ive seen videos of people summoning random poo poo using cheats so this has to be possible

huge potential here for tons of views on youtube. make it happen

e.

No Dignity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1q9b8u8mVY

Radagon pulls it off, but barely. Twas nobly fought, runebear
:yeshaha:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The poise mechanics of this game make no loving sense. I just fought a giant enemy with a giant hammer specifically called a Giant Crusher, hit him with nothing but charged heavy attacks, and did not stagger him once. Yet I did the same with the loving Brick Hammer, which is 14 pounds lighter, and staggered him every two hits. So a smaller weapon that is faster also does much more poise damage? Then what the gently caress is the point of the big one? What reason is there to even bother with huge weapons if they do literally nothing better than smaller ones? :psyduck:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't have anything useful to add but this is one of the few times I'm sorry our forums don't have one of those trite little Heart buttons

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

beasts like runebears and crows get absolutely clowned on by greatshields. I think the only outlier there is that bats have this annoying attack that hits you from behind even if you're facing them, but they're just bats.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Phenotype posted:

I actually didn't find the crows too bad, even the blood ones. I found if you stay on your horse they tend to whiff a lot of their attacks if you stay very close to them, but you need to high tail it out of there when they drop on the ground and do that repeated pecking when they are on their bellies, but even then when that attack is over its a great opportunity to hit them in the head.

The thing about the bears is that, in addition to every other attack hitting like a freight train and having huge hitboxes, they have that one lunge attack that seems to come out of nowhere.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

farum azula is up in the sky how the gently caress did deathroot get there?

Where is there a death root in FA? There’s worm faced death blight guys, but I took that as residual contamination from Maliketh bringing the death rune there, not necessarily directly tree related like the death root/Those Who Live In Death stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Where is there a death root in FA? There’s worm faced death blight guys, but I took that as residual contamination from Maliketh bringing the death rune there, not necessarily directly tree related like the death root/Those Who Live In Death stuff

There's a ton of skeleton gnolls with the same revival mechanic up there too