Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

sasha_d3ath posted:

What do you mean a board game based on the Diet Coke of dinosaur movies isn't super compelling?

I have no idea what that means but I hope this tweet makes you as angry as it made me

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1512747508174397446

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Letosaurus Methodicus Jaredi?

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Bottom Liner posted:

I have no idea what that means but I hope this tweet makes you as angry as it made me

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1512747508174397446

I'm going to loving die

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

that's about what i expect from a dinosaur movie now

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/meteoritasesino/status/1112576201460051969

-----------------------------------

Next week has a couple of potential biggies

The Dark Quarter I was potentially interested in until it said 'App Driven'. It looks really well designed regardless. Def going to watch a few gameplay videos.
Paradox Initiative - Reimplements Paradox. Seems to have a bit of chatter about it.
Far Cry Beyond - Potentially not poo poo?
Table Golf Association - Mini dexterity game. Just a cool dumb idea.
Greatwall - Reprint.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Far Cry Beyond - Potentially not poo poo?

I sure hope they re-did

quote:

Up to one player takes control of Soviet forces mistakenly attacking a team of Hollywood movie stuntpeople while the other players control the stuntpeople.

e: Great Wall looked good when I saw it at Spiel, but people have been complaining that you have to assemble and disassemble the walls themselves any time you want to play; if that's something that would bother you, check whether they fixed that I guess.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 10, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gschmidl posted:

I sure hope they re-did

lol yiiiiiikes

It'll also be interesting to see how prices compare to the original campaign
https://gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/great-wall-board-game?ref=creator#/section/pledges-817

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 10, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

The Dark Quarter I was potentially interested in until it said 'App Driven'.

Lucky Duck have been pretty good at this schtick. The fact that twirling mustache villain Van Ryder Games is involved is more worrisome.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Lucky Duck have been pretty good at this schtick.

I am A-OK with apps if they're just adjacent to the game, and the game can be played manually without it. App Driven just does nothing for me.

quote:

The fact that twirling mustache villain Van Ryder Games is involved is more worrisome.

How's this?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

gschmidl posted:

e: Great Wall looked good when I saw it at Spiel, but people have been complaining that you have to assemble and disassemble the walls themselves any time you want to play; if that's something that would bother you, check whether they fixed that I guess.

That's not quite accurate. The issue is that with the provided insert they only fit in the box disassembled (and there's no dedicated space for them even then, which is annoying). But if you're okay with putting them somewhere else, you can leave them assembled. I've contemplated just ditching the miniatures trays and tossing the minis loose in one of the expansion boxes along with the wall segments. (The printed components of the expansion would then go in the base box.) None of which is to say that it's not annoying, because it definitely is.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

I am A-OK with apps if they're just adjacent to the game, and the game can be played manually without it. App Driven just does nothing for me.

How's this?

I assume this is related to Van Ryder getting involved with NFTs and then doubling down.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

dang great wall looks cool af hopefully it's not just a gigantic gimmick with all the minis and scenery stuff though

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We played Great Wall a couple of weeks ago and had fun but screwed the rules up in a few ways. Three out of five of us had generals that we felt were overpowered, in different ways, so that was interesting. Three of the players used their attack orders early on before recruiting any sizeable troops and wouldn't reclaim so as not to lose points, so the game went poorly from the start. One guy's general had him gaining a ton of gold so he used that to build most of the walls that were built, and I was the only one to donate materials to help him out. He came in last in points and felt screwed over by everyone. The game ended by running out of shame points to hand out as the walls were overrun. We went through the manual afterwards and found a ton of stuff we'd screwed up. To be fair the guy who owned the game and did the teach wasnt feeling well and we were on a very strict timer that day. That said I'd play it again given more time to play and a thorough rules refresh, it seemed fun enough even if the generals were a bit imbalanced.

The wall parts themselves didn't seem a pain to assemble, one guy did that while two built the board and 2 shuffled cards and it came together as fast as any other big game setup.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

dang great wall looks cool af hopefully it's not just a gigantic gimmick with all the minis and scenery stuff though

We really loved it the two times we've tried it, once PvP once coop. We're more a fan of the coop but it's definitely not the primary design.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Interesting to see Far Cry struggle as much as it is. I know they set a high bar, but it still seems slow.

Edit: Annnnnd cancelled :laffo: The Ol "We didn't make a billion dollars instantly" trick

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 12, 2022

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Interesting to see Far Cry struggle as much as it is. I know they set a high bar, but it still seems slow.

Already cancelled, lol

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Infinitum posted:

Edit: Annnnnd cancelled :laffo: The Ol "We didn't make a billion dollars instantly" trick
I was really surprised, too. Then I took a look in the comments and I was like, "oh, of course it makes sense."
Basically, it seemed like:
-The company hasn't delivered its last game yet, so people were wary to back.
-It barely has any connection to Far Cry lore-wise and could have been called anything else.
-(minor point, but valid) A backer mentioned "please don't make me kill dogs" as that's one of the enemy types.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dang. I was going to avoid it since it's connected to Ubisoft. But all those issues make sense too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm not really sure what a Far Cry board game should be or look like but at the very least it should probably be set on a tropical island

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CODChimera posted:

I'm not really sure what a Far Cry board game should be or look like but at the very least it should probably be set on a tropical island

Half of the games aren't though.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I've only played far cry 4 but the KS looked like it didn't know if it wanted to be based on the newer ones or on the fc blood dragon 80s parody.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol @ new Robotech KS
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/minitech-games/robotech-macross-dog-fight-the-miniatures-game

1.) gently caress Harmony Gold
2.) lolololol @ pledge level pricing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dark Quarter launched and holy gently caress there’s a lot going on, with a fair amount of leaning on an app to do heavy lifting.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

The_Doctor posted:

Dark Quarter launched and holy gently caress there’s a lot going on, with a fair amount of leaning on an app to do heavy lifting.

The price is surprisingly low for a KS game these days too. Probably since it is app integrated and has less physical components.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Infinitum posted:

lol @ new Robotech KS
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/minitech-games/robotech-macross-dog-fight-the-miniatures-game

2.) lolololol @ pledge level pricing

I'm glad I'm not a Macross fan, the game looks busy and confusing, but those mini's are... alright. The flight path thing looks weird and unique in a gif, but I'm sure that'll be annoying as hell to play with.

Also, apparently the company behind this is actually Kids Logic, and MiniTech Games are just their brand of licensed miniatures. https://www.kidslogic.toys/pages/minitechgames
And Kids Logic is still on the hook to deliver that DBZ miniature game from a few years ago. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kidslogic/dragon-ball-z-smash-battle-the-ar-powered-miniatures-game

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Infinitum posted:

:hmmyes:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I can understand people that don't like the app integrated stuff, but Lucky Duck has not let me down yet. Destinies is fantastic.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think the dbz game is the one where they offhandedly mentioned they'd never shipped to the US but took people's money anyways?

My main takeaway was that it prevented jasco from making a dbz game that was compatible with their street fighter game and their (maybe cancelled?) mortal kombat game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desfore posted:

I'm glad I'm not a Macross fan, the game looks busy and confusing, but those mini's are... alright. The flight path thing looks weird and unique in a gif, but I'm sure that'll be annoying as hell to play with.

I've seen a lot of people ragging on Palladium for the last Robotech miniature games which is entirely unfair. Soda Pop Miniatures also had more than a hand in it so spread that around evenly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I can understand people that don't like the app integrated stuff, but Lucky Duck has not let me down yet. Destinies is fantastic.

Anything worth looking into?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I would spend stupid money to get my hands on a Macross II VF-XX model but not there and as of right now not anywhere else either.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The_Doctor posted:

Reader, I went all in.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen a lot of people ragging on Palladium for the last Robotech miniature games which is entirely unfair. Soda Pop Miniatures also had more than a hand in it so spread that around evenly.

My understanding at the time was that Palladium kicked them off the project and tried to do everything themselves so they didn't have to share.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anything worth looking into?

YMMV. For me it was barely any gameplay, almost no use of the actual game components (including the tiniest miniatures I've ever seen which serve even less game function than minis usually do and are very difficult to identify unpainted) as virtually the entire game is played in the app, and 5 scenarios you can knock out a full run of in like 60-90 minutes each. Now, if you're soloing like I was, you have potentially three significantly distinct plays of each because there are three characters per scenario and they all have their own goals, starting stuff, etc. You might even squeeze six out, because each character has two ways to achieve victory that you could angle towards. But you will still have many of the same encounters, and a bunch of them will be useful for multiple characters' goals, and it doesn't really branch that much. So, you're paying $50 for a box of mostly useless physical components and like, maybe 5-18 hours of play (I myself felt like I was done after one run each). You could maybe get the expansion for a few more hours.

Now, I can't speak to the multiplayer (which is, inexplicably, competitive, although it's mostly 2-3 players independently pursuing their own goals, possibly getting in the way by resolving some encounter before another player, and then one of them gets the win first and the other's story just...doesn't resolve.) but it didn't appeal to me. And I will say the setting and writing were pretty cool. And the (almost sole) game system, where you set tokens at different numerical points on a skill track representing what number of successes you get on different rolls is kinda neat? (And seems to be in Dark Quarter as well.) So it's not that I think it's a bad game. I think it's a game that should have been entirely digital and sold for maybe $10-15. I strongly suspect Dark Quarter will be as well, so I'm probably out unless gameplay videos convince me there's more substance there. It being coop multiplayer is at least an improvement.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

This looks cool, but it's yet another game in the increasing trend of "Alaska and Hawaii have literally the most expensive shipping in the world by a ridiculous margin" ($130 shipping all-in vs. ~$60 for the next-most-expensive "rest-of-the-world" category) :(

Better for my wallet, I guess!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SpikeMcclane posted:

My understanding at the time was that Palladium kicked them off the project and tried to do everything themselves so they didn't have to share.

Yeah, but that was because Soda Pop was dragging their feet so bad because they had wildly overcommitted if I remember things correctly. They were already trying to put out their anime sci-fi minis game whose name I forget and just didn't have the resources.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Did a large group pledge for some playmats + bags and they finally rocked up today

Everyones except my playmat that is :negative:

Ah well, it'll rock up and I've got tracking info at least.
Not bad for $14usd shipping to Aus.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I really dig everything about this, but App Driven is just such an instant turn off

SpikeMcclane posted:

My mate did backed this, and all I remember is seeing the giant box of plastic minis that needed to be assembled once and it was never heard from again.

I'll have to ask him about it one time. Reckon he'd be able to flip it for a pretty penny.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Maybe, though I remember reading that the models that came out of that KS were ludicrously flimsy, spindly, and hard to assemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They were definitely injection molded. Can't even imagine sitting down to cut out that many sprues.