Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That's a loving lie, Zelda is the GIRL, I put LINK on the resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The most important step in fixing your resume is to make sure your name is sufficiently white. Don't be called Muhammad, your name should be John or Dave or something if you want a job.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I have Linq on my resume too

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Shame Boy posted:

Don't put a bunch of zelda pictures on it no matter how cool you think zelda is.

There, you've just bested the worst interviewee I've ever had to interview so you're already a step up.

The Legend of Employment: A Link to the CV

By Jason, age 24

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Zvahl posted:

The Legend of Employment: A Link to the CV

By Jason, age 24

Lol no way a 24 year old knows about a link to the past. We're so old lmao

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
lol im old

Employment of the Wild

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The Ocarina of PTO

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

LinkedIn to the Past

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Can you explain this 7 year gap in your resume?

"..."

I see, and during this time you pierced your ear?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

IAMKOREA posted:

Lol no way a 24 year old knows about a link to the past. We're so old lmao

they could have played the remake version on game boy advance

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Casey Finnigan posted:

they could have played the remake version on game boy advance

GBA came out 75 years ago.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

GBA came out 75 years ago.

I was too old for the GBA on 9/11 lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shame Boy posted:

Don't put a bunch of zelda pictures on it no matter how cool you think zelda is.

There, you've just bested the worst interviewee I've ever had to interview so you're already a step up.

My worst interviewee showed up 14 minutes late as I was packing myself up, congratulated himself on showing up at all, then started asking me what it would take to get fired from the position

Don't ask that during an interview!!!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

shrike82 posted:

the analogy with dating is true in that there's a weird bubble of self-help pseudo-science on how you'll be able to improve your profile or CV by doing X

Here's like 90% of my resume help condensed into one post:

1) use a free template online. your resume needs to look like it was made this decade
2) have an active verb be the first word of each of your bullet points
3) use as many numbers as possible
4) show, don't tell
5) you don't give a poo poo about what you did more than 3 years ago, so why should anyone else?

Edit: special one: don't tell me you have a great attention to detail then misspell words/have grammatical errors on your resume

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Apr 10, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Business Gorillas posted:

4) show, don't tell

how do you show on a resume, do you mean including animated gifs

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the non formatting stuff you mention is the vague subjective BS I’m talking about

it might work for you but there are other hiring managers who’d give the exact opposite advice

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Anyone who has hiring duties is management and is my sworn enemy, tricking them into paying me is communism

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

indigi posted:

It depends but a good example would be instead of saying "I'm good at my job" on your resume, you should say "I exceeded X Y & Z metrics". The latter tells me you were good at your job without you explicitly saying it

Same with the attention to detail thing. Don't tell me you have it, show it by having a really slick resume that you cared enough to run through spellcheck

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Business Gorillas posted:

Edit: special one: don't tell me you have a great attention to detail then misspell words/have grammatical errors on your resume

DO correct the mistakes of the people hiring you

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

indigi posted:

portfolio

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Flipbook resume

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

shrike82 posted:

the non formatting stuff you mention is the vague subjective BS I’m talking about

it might work for you but there are other hiring managers who’d give the exact opposite advice

The interview : dating metaphor holds up here too because asking a hiring manager for resume advice is about as useful as asking them for relationship advice (and by that I mean should do both in an interview)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Milo and POTUS posted:

DO correct the mistakes of the people hiring you

Sometimes unironically, though. It depends. You've got to be pretty good with people to guess which ones respect pedantry

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Anyone who has hiring duties is management and is my sworn enemy, tricking them into paying me is communism

I don't get to hire people I just have to sit in on interviews and tell management if the person is an idiot or not because management can't tell, can we still be friends

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Shame Boy posted:

I don't get to hire people I just have to sit in on interviews and tell management if the person is an idiot or not because management can't tell, can we still be friends

Honestly this is even worse

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

Gulag

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

kapo

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I have a theoretical degree in physics

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
anyone who is giving real resume advice is boug and is going to the work camps

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
spending hours tweaking my resume to contain the optimal amount of numbers and action verbs to wow HR. only for it to be filtered out and thrown away instantly for reasons unclear

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kuvo posted:

I have Linq on my resume too

I imported it onto my resume too

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Not every DSM has anti social personality disorder listed on every page

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Help, I've got a case of clinical diversity.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Like, in a cell?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Colonel Cancer posted:

Like, in a cell?

In a cell, in a uniform. Same dif.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"you don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps! lol"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The inmates are running the asylum

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I assumed they meant they locked up everyone with a mental illness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shear Modulus posted:

I assumed they meant they locked up everyone with a mental illness

If they accidently get a sane one they just induce PTSD with extended stays in solitary.