Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I finally stumbled across a suitable counter to the VDV song.

https://youtu.be/zylu0gaIUkA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

I finally stumbled across a suitable counter to the VDV song.

https://youtu.be/zylu0gaIUkA

Top notch.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh poo poo and the lyrics :black101:

quote:

Hey, by the steppes, and by the dark ravines
The campaign marches forth with iron pikes.
He who's brave, now, let him come on with us, |
Let us all be knights, O you young men! | (2)

We will not fight just for anyone
We'll not be mercenaries, for no one
For Ukraine, it's now that we all live for |
And for her let's loose our heads together. | (2)

Every enemy comes here to free us,
And he steals the land for himself,
For a grave, now, will he have the land, |
On that grave will our freedom blossom! | (2)

Fly, O song, underneath the heavens,
To Ukrainians do speak to their dear hearts
Let our will, now, always be here with us, |
But to the enemies desire let it be an end! | (2)

--------------------------------------

Hey, by the steppes, and by the dark ravines
The campaign marches forth with iron pikes.
He who's brave, now, let him come on with us, |
Let us all be knights, O you young men! | (2)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1513185057703436289

:kstarehair:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

:wtc:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MrYenko posted:

A radiation source at a waste mitigation site would probably be a fresh source of documented provenance used to calibrate instruments, and not a chunk of the 35 year old reactor.

It’s probably hot as gently caress, is what I’m saying.

That nightmare "drop and run" source is a radiography source, for looking through rocks a metal and stuff, to be useful as a calibration source you have to be able to pick it up and handle it a little bit, so 4 or 5 orders of magnitude less source strength.

Still not a great thing to take out of the 'ol lead box and shove in your pocket.

A 3000 curie Co-60 source gives you about 30 seconds, if held at arms length, to read it and comply with the directions and you might not die of ARS.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Does "intact" mean at least 80% functional force or am I making that up whole cloth?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

Does "intact" mean at least 80% functional force or am I making that up whole cloth?

Nah, intact the way they are using it just means “pretty much at full combat strength, or at least as much as you can be after a month of field ops”.

The thing I would take from the assessment is that Russia is either going to disburse highly demoralized soldiers into other units which may actually reduce the host units combat performance in favor of a paper strength metric OR they are going to kitbash soldiers from multiple demolished units into one ‘full strength’ unit which will pretty much be almost entirely combat ineffective since they are doing gently caress all to rehabilitate them.

The thing is, Russia doesn’t really have any more BTGs to bring forward. They’ve already stripped out the best parts of all their regiments and brigades to make the ones fighting now so this is the best they can do without a several month pause to reorganize and replenish.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

It means you are about to enter yet another moment of "what the gently caress they cannot possibly be that stupid and yet here is the evidence that that is what they did"

The RF effectively neutralized any of their own C2 above the battalion level before the invasion even started.

quote:

The Russian armed forces likely have few or no full-strength units in reserve to deploy to fight in Ukraine because of a flawed mobilization scheme that cannot be fixed in the course of a short war. The Russians did not deploy full regiments and brigades to invade Ukraine—with few exceptions as we have previously noted. They instead drew individual battalions from many different regiments and brigades across their entire force. We have identified elements of almost every single brigade or regiment in the Russian Army, Airborne Troops, and Naval Infantry involved in fighting in Ukraine already. The decision to form composite organizations drawn from individual battalions thrown together into ad hoc formations degraded the performance of those units, as we have discussed in earlier reports.[7] It has also committed the Russian military to replicating that mistake for the duration of this conflict, because there are likely few or no intact regiments or brigades remaining in the Russian Army, Airborne Forces, or Naval Infantry. The Russians have no choice but to continue throwing individual battalions together into ad hoc formations until they have rebuilt entire regiments and brigades, a process that will likely take years.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 10, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Nah, intact the way they are using it just means “pretty much at full combat strength, or at least as much as you can be after a month of field ops”.

The thing I would take from the assessment is that Russia is either going to disburse highly demoralized soldiers into other units which may actually reduce the host units combat performance in favor of a paper strength metric OR they are going to kitbash soldiers from multiple demolished units into one ‘full strength’ unit which will pretty much be almost entirely combat ineffective since they are doing gently caress all to rehabilitate them.

The thing is, Russia doesn’t really have any more BTGs to bring forward. They’ve already stripped out the best parts of all their regiments and brigades to make the ones fighting now so this is the best they can do without a several month pause to reorganize and replenish.

I interpret intact to mean "has enough personnel and equipment to form tasks appropriate to their organizational level'. A tank unit with all of its dudes but no tanks isn't intact. Or one with all of its tanks but no fuel trucks. Or one with a bunch of tanks and no crews. Or one with all its dudes and tanks but all the tanks are busted and there are no repair parts. Basically, it's nebulous but I interpret it to mean "cant do whatever it's supposed to do for whatever reason".

edit, or I guess it means that right up there. :shrug:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

shame on an IGA posted:

It means you are about to enter yet another moment of "what the gently caress they cannot possibly be that stupid and yet here is the evidence that that is what they did" effectively neutralizing any C2 above the battalion level

That like at Market Garden when the Germans were putting together units from whatever troops were in the area out of desperation, it’s not the standard approach for an invasion that should have had months to plan ahead.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
You know how in an AAR, you struggle sometimes to get the three ups and three downs?

What are Russia's ups?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Murgos posted:

Sounds good on paper, but in the field it must be a complete shitshow. No unit integrity, logsitics hosed up because orders get misrouted. Lots of guys going to bed hungry I'm sure.

A good NCO corps would be ale to help, but Russia doesn't believe in that. Better to have sub-lieutenants doing what a E-7 would be doing in the west.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 10, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

You know how in an AAR, you struggle sometimes to get the three ups and three downs?

What are Russia's ups?

Up: Were well prepared for the real mission of eliminating Ukrainians from Ukraine.

Up: nice new washing machine for Babushka and new GPU for little Vasily.

Up: Didn't have to carry heavy gear back to Russia

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm very curious about the scale of and timeline for the mobilization of Ukraine's reservists and new volunteers. It's not looking realistic for Russia to adequately replenish their forces in the short term, so, from a purely quantitative perspective, it looks like Ukraine could not only hold their lines but start taking back territory that the Russian forces simply lack the resources to hold? Or does the likely shortage of offensive hardware balance out that potential advantage in raw manpower?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

GD_American posted:

What are Russia's ups?

”The reach of our logistics network has been operationally tested”

”The discussion on whether cope cages are beneficial has gained a number of real-life data points”

”Lots of real-world experience on operating in deep mud”

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm very curious about the scale of and timeline for the mobilization of Ukraine's reservists and new volunteers. It's not looking realistic for Russia to adequately replenish their forces in the short term, so, from a purely quantitative perspective, it looks like Ukraine could not only hold their lines but start taking back territory that the Russian forces simply lack the resources to hold? Or does the likely shortage of offensive hardware balance out that potential advantage in raw manpower?

Russia has an equipment advantage high enough that they can likely hold off the Ukrainians from making any gains on recovering lost territory, at least in solidly held portions of Donetsk and Luhansk, and Crimea. Could they be pushed off of Mariupol or one of the other cities that is outside of those core regions? Possibly, depending on where the city is. Nobody knows exactly how badly the Russians suck, not even the Russians, and nobody can quantify exactly how far morale can carry you when your air force is flying 12:1 vs enemy aircraft in heavily contested areas.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

A.o.D. posted:

Up: nice new washing machine for Babushka and new GPU for little Vasily.

Up: Didn't have to carry heavy gear back to Russia

Down: Sudden lack of APCs and trucks means carrying washing machine back is a pain in the neck, among other things.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCBkCL27rU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder if they are stealing all those GPUs because they want to do crypto mining.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

orange juche posted:

Radiation sickness isn't like any sickness you've ever had either, multiple organ systems all fail because your body is self destructing from ionizing radiation damaging your cells, and there's nothing doctors can do to save you other than offer palliative care and prayer, if you got a severe dose.

I feel bad for the poor fucks who got hauled out to the wilderness of loving Chernobyl on the whim of a dude trying to relive the Soviet Union's glory days. They're probably just dumb fuckers who got told to go here, dig there, and sit in this cold, wet hole until we tell you to ruck up and move out.

On the other hand they're part of a war of unprovoked aggression and probably took part in heinous poo poo per the Russian Army's M.O. before camping out in the radioactive woods, so I don't feel too bad if they wind up dead.

It's basically like getting pneumonia, the bad runs, starting on going blind, and undergoing bad chemo, but all at the same time and all get worse until you die. It's pretty hosed up.

Lots of alpha particles just settled out in that dirt and rain has pushed a lot of them down into the soil a bit. Digging those up without a respirator means you've got it in your lungs and probably eyes / every other mucus membrane. They are completely hosed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GD_American posted:

What are Russia's ups?

Up: Arrested potential anti-Putin subversive elements inside of Russia.

Up: Found deficiencies in military procurement

Down: Won't remediate

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GD_American posted:

What are Russia's ups?

Up: Performed real-world assessment of the importance of proper planning in airborne operations

Up: Demonstrated maintenance requirements of a typical BTG in field conditions

Up: Provided valuable training in NBC operations and after-care

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So can we get stickers of a pointing Putin made up that say "Я ЭТО СДЕЛАЛ!" underneath?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/americans-blame-vladimir-putin-oil-companies-high-gas/story?id=83967683

Of course, the true :thejoke: of it is that neither Biden nor Putin are responsible for higher gas prices! :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Does anyone know anything about the supposed new force commander?

https://www.9news.com.au/world/vladimir-putin-appoints-new-commander-for-ukraine-alexander-dvornikov/e432287e-cbd8-4519-b1cf-1bf6ec69701b

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

All I need to know is that he was the commander of their Syrian "military intervention" to know he's bad loving news.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cimber posted:

I wonder if they are stealing all those GPUs because they want to do crypto mining.

They're likely being looted solely with the intent to resell.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
I don’t know by how much I missed it, but new thread title made me laugh so hard that my 5yo came to ask if I was OK

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GD_American posted:

What are Russia's ups?

If my unit AARs are the trend it was:

:effort:

Knowledgeable instructor.
Good visual aids.
Short to the point.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

All I need to know is that he was the commander of their Syrian "military intervention" to know he's bad loving news.

So in the range of Russian commanders, he's in the "Pitiless Taskmaster" category?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Russia has an equipment advantage high enough that they can likely hold off the Ukrainians from making any gains on recovering lost territory, at least in solidly held portions of Donetsk and Luhansk, and Crimea. Could they be pushed off of Mariupol or one of the other cities that is outside of those core regions? Possibly, depending on where the city is. Nobody knows exactly how badly the Russians suck, not even the Russians, and nobody can quantify exactly how far morale can carry you when your air force is flying 12:1 vs enemy aircraft in heavily contested areas.

It hasn't been talked about as much, but the number of Russian sorties is down even over eastern Ukraine. It makes me think they're running into major maintenance issues and have probably already lost a sizeable chunk of their operational aircraft.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1513217158997852168

So quick question does the US have rules about attacking industrial targets that could result in release of dangerous chemicals or fumes?

This is also the second time the Russians have attacked it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1513217158997852168

So quick question does the US have rules about attacking industrial targets that could result in release of dangerous chemicals or fumes?

This is also the second time the Russians have attacked it.

I don't know about rules, but what exactly could the US do beyond the current sanctions/arms shipments to a hostile (to Russia) foreign power?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Youtube videos taking apart classified Russian military technology, why not

https://twitter.com/UkraineNewsLive/status/1513204186434920451?s=20&t=mtLk7KXlE3UhOdtd7gOY3g

Apparently it uses an off-the-shelf Canon camera.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Unboxing videos getting weird.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Something to keep in mind is that this isn't some new guy swooping in from elsewhere to take over and fix everything, supposedly he was already in charge of the southern and eastern fronts of the invasion, which is the part that the Russians are focusing on most now.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
So that's where my Canon Rebel ended up :argh:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Don't know if this guy's on the level, but his blog posts seem a lot more detailed than the usual Twitter randos.

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/here-comes-dvornikov-10-april-2022-80b7a09a7ef7

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kesper North posted:

Apparently it uses an off-the-shelf Canon camera.

Going to call my Nifty-fifty lens 'military rated' now. Using a plastic $85 lens in a drone is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Don't know if this guy's on the level, but his blog posts seem a lot more detailed than the usual Twitter randos.

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/here-comes-dvornikov-10-april-2022-80b7a09a7ef7

He's a pretty well known author in military aviation history, he's on the up and up.

For reference, I have several books by him on the Iran-Iraq war that are nearly 15 years old now.