Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Gz to aprilia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wonder if Aleix can keep it up and make Jorge eat his scarf

https://twitter.com/lorenzo99/status/1368910979212345349

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm stoked for Aleix and Aprilia, that was tense to watch and I'm glad we got to see them pull it off.

Moto3 was a truly spectacular race though

FBS fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 5, 2022

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

FBS posted:

Aprilia

:yeshaha:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress yeah.

Climbing relentlessly out of the bin, can't believe I'm rooting for them now.

Heroic race for several people.

Also that physics defying moto 2 crash :wtc:

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Slavvy posted:

gently caress yeah.

Climbing relentlessly out of the bin, can't believe I'm rooting for them now.

Heroic race for several people.

Also that physics defying moto 2 crash :wtc:
That was insane. Poor guy was definitely out when he hit the dirt, glad to see he got up quickly but that could be a bad concussion.

For MotoGP though, I was so happy to see Aleix take it. Especially after he tried to get past Martin twice and just overdid the late breaking, finally getting the pass to work and then making it stick was incredible. Maverick quietly had a pretty good race too, maybe Aprilia's done being an also-ran?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Dudes lucky if all he got was a concussion. When they showed the helicopter cam first of the bike twisting like that I thought for sure one of his legs would have been caught somewhere and had just been annihilated.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

The Moto2 race wasn't bad either, the fight between Ogura and Canet for 3rd was pretty exciting.
Yep. Great to see Chantra up on the podium again. Suzuki boys looking good in GP, and nice ride from Aleix there

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Was so stoked for Aleix. On the edge of my seat the entire time.

Sounds like I also need to watch the other races.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Finally caught up on the race and I'm super happy for Aleix and Aprilia. Well deserved. :toot:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Marquez cleared for this weekend's race in Austin.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Will be interesting to see. Hasn’t he won that race like 10 times?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Something like that. I was at the race in 2019 when he crashed out of the lead while being like 8 seconds ahead or some poo poo.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

He's so dominant at Austin, this is a perfect chance for him to take it relatively easy and get back into the groove of a race weekend without hurting himself.

So, which corner do y'all think he's getting concussed at on Saturday?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's either going to lose the front into t1, say afterwards that has never happened before

OR

He'll learn and adapt and realise that the new bike can't sustain that kind of braking, proceed to highside straight into a wheelchair somewhere around t12.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What's the difference between Superbike and MotoGP? I'm watching the race in Aragon, and the class of bikes seem to be the same? Just two different federations?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The main difference is SBK bikes are based on production motorcycles, while MotoGP bikes are completely custom-built for racing.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
SBK race was really good, hopefully they are as competitive as last year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

busalover posted:

What's the difference between Superbike and MotoGP? I'm watching the race in Aragon, and the class of bikes seem to be the same? Just two different federations?

SBK is explicitly based on production models and the vast majority of the bike can't be altered significantly, it's a championship that's contested on the showroom floor more than on the track itself, hence the homogenous results.

GP have rules explicitly banning road bike parts, everything has to be totally bespoke. The bikes are drastically lighter, smaller, have pneumatic valve engines with F1 levels of power/rpm, have an order of magnitude more adjustability in every aspect of their chassis, carbon brakes (banned in SBK to control costs), seamless gearboxes, tyres that are literally unrideable even for club level racers.

Basically the similarity starts and ends at 'they race faired bikes of approximately 1000cc capacity'. WSBK usually riders struggle really badly when they come to GP because they have to learn to set up a bespoke bike, they have to adapt their style and lines to the individual corner, they have trouble dealing with a chassis that has basically zero flex and tyres that have an extremely narrow operating window, etcetera. OTOH GP riders who go to SBK have a tendency to dominate because the bikes seem simple and slow, like the machines they merely train on. It is very, very analogous to F1 vs like DTM or super GT's or some other body car series.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ducati lockout 1-5 on the grid. Turn 1 is going to be interesting tomorrow

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I kind of surprised no manufacturers have dropped a seamless gearbox in a road bike yet, they have so many years with it now they have to be able to hit a reasonable price soon. I look forward to neutral being below first and having to thumb a lever to shift into it, it sounds like an upgrade to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I kind of surprised no manufacturers have dropped a seamless gearbox in a road bike yet, they have so many years with it now they have to be able to hit a reasonable price soon. I look forward to neutral being below first and having to thumb a lever to shift into it, it sounds like an upgrade to me.

1. A seamless is a hyper sensitive piece of gear, they have to be checked and rebuilt every day, the tolerances required and the general sensitivity of the thing just aren't feasible for a consumer product

2. A DCT does exactly the same thing for considerably less money and difficulty, the only reason the seamless even exists is because of a kneejerk DCT ban to 'reduce costs' and other spurious reasons, leading to an even more expensive and complex solution instead

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

echomadman posted:

Ducati lockout 1-5 on the grid. Turn 1 is going to be interesting tomorrow

all the launce devices fail to let off would be an interesting scenario with them so close

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Bautista already competing for worst haircut of 2022.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Man is that Austin track extra-spicy or what? Moto2 was a slide-show, rip to that american dude who crashed on the final lap at nr 4.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Beaubier had such an awful race he didn't deserve 4th anyway.

That entire race was pretty stupid to watch honestly

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Marq came to fight, shame about the start. Was great watching him work through the pack.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
So Bastianini drives a Ducati but is not part of the Ducati Team. Is his machine an entirely different beast, build-wise? One of the tv hosts said something about old Ducati model vs new Ducati model, but I don't think they just sold him last year's model.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

IDK, but, I was looking at the aero and the tail of Bastianini's Ducati and it sure looked the same as Jack's. If it's the same hardware, he theoretically doesn't have as good of support, factory support, for tuning it. EDIT; he's on last years bike. Who knows what that actually entails though.

Curious to hear what happened with Marc's start.

Stoked to see Jack get some good results. He's going to need it if he wants to land a good ride next year. Looks like his current contract with the factory team only goes through this year. I imagine they're going to have a strong bias for young, and Italian, talent.

dema fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 11, 2022

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

busalover posted:

So Bastianini drives a Ducati but is not part of the Ducati Team. Is his machine an entirely different beast, build-wise? One of the tv hosts said something about old Ducati model vs new Ducati model, but I don't think they just sold him last year's model.

Its last years factory bike and the seasons worth of setup data that came with it.
The 2022 Duc seems to be a bit more sensitive to setup and they've wasted a lot of their development time on the front ride height device that they havent been able to use properly and which is banned for next season.
Ducati could probably have walked away with this season if they'd just made some incremental improvements on the 2021 bike for Pecco and Jack.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Marc looked hungry and ready to fight, from last to 6th? I'd say he's back, barring any further crashes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echomadman posted:

Its last years factory bike and the seasons worth of setup data that came with it.
The 2022 Duc seems to be a bit more sensitive to setup and they've wasted a lot of their development time on the front ride height device that they havent been able to use properly and which is banned for next season.
Ducati could probably have walked away with this season if they'd just made some incremental improvements on the 2021 bike for Pecco and Jack.

Yep, this 100%. The minor chassis improvements were enough to win the championship with but they keep trying to do dumb extra poo poo.

Chris Knight posted:

Marc looked hungry and ready to fight, from last to 6th? I'd say he's back, barring any further crashes.

Unironically still my pick for the title.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Anyway the Suzuki boys were looking decent again. Moto2 was a bloodbath holy crap.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Yep, this 100%. The minor chassis improvements were enough to win the championship with but they keep trying to do dumb extra poo poo.

Unironically still my pick for the title.

I mean, he's 40 points down but... he is marquez. But... he's also marquez whose body is increasingly held together with baling wire and bubblegum.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Anyway the Suzuki boys were looking decent again. Moto2 was a bloodbath holy crap.

I'm liking suzuki being able to fight for podium. Compared to last year when they were somewhere off the back.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

builds character posted:

I mean, he's 40 points down but... he is marquez. But... he's also marquez whose body is increasingly held together with baling wire and bubblegum.

I think its a toss up between him and maybe one of the suzukis. I'd like Enea to challenge but I have a feeling he's gonna fade hard in the second half of the year once the factories figures their new bikes out.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oops wrong one

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 12, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

But he's also on a considerably faster bike than his old one (keep in mind most of his titles were achieved under a crippling machine handicap) which will be significantly less crashy once he gets used to it. He's already overtaken pol in that regard, I think 40 points is nothing.

italian quid posted:

I think its a toss up between him and maybe one of the suzukis. I'd like Enea to challenge but I have a feeling he's gonna fade hard in the second half of the year once the factories figures their new bikes out.

Yyyeeap

dema
Aug 13, 2006

It could totally happen. But, keep in mind we were watching Marc on one of his best tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That argument also applies to rins imo