Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he’s fast and pretentious and that makes him Technically The Best so nerds crunch the numbers and find out he’s their favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
oh, I hate yngwie. but also I don't hate yngwie. It's weird and I don't know how to explain it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I love all of these shredders as long as I don’t have to actually listen to them play

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
same

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Snowy posted:

I love all of these shredders as long as I don’t have to actually listen to them play

distressing to see Abasi show up on these lists (I'm not saying I don't agree) because for some reason Animals As Leaders is the only djent I can get in to

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
all djent is bad

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Interestingly about Billy is that yeah, but most accounts a prick, but not nearly as much in person as he comes across in interviews. Throughout his career he's very much been a "say something in an interview that upsets" and then later clarifies it wasn't deliberate, and also not what he meant that people were upset by, dude just sucks at being clear. There's a bunch of stuff he's said that shortly later (when he's thought his words through) he goes "yeah I said that, but rephrased I wanted to say this" and everyone went "oh yeah that makes sense". So he's not quite the volatile guy everyone seems to think, and honestly James Iha has positive things to say these days, so I guess Billy has chilled out a bit. And he's not said anything transphobic/queerphobic that I know of since the 90s which is impressive since he'd probably have a big support group at the moment.

On the other hand lol he hoards gold and is a bit insane and can be an rear end in a top hat when he disagrees with you.

All in all my verdict is: Billy is a musician lol

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

A few friends of mine and I went to some G3 or “Generation Axe” shows, one of those dorky all-guitar troupes that kept popping up several years back. This one had Tosin Abasi, Zakk Wylde, Nuno, Vai, and Yngwie.

Even from just watching the show, one of my friends who liked the other players but had never been exposed to Yngwie at all, grew to fully hate him over the course of about 15 minutes. Watching all the other players, he had a good time, but when it was Yngwie’s turn to go, he basically flopped out onto the stage and did non-stop sweep picking shredding while also being a middle aged fat guy wearing a pirate shirt and 25 gold necklaces and gold rings on every finger, who maintained his signature dumb kissy face and scowling eyebrows look and doing big 80’s rock star kicks as high and often as he could the whole time. Just the biggest “I think I’m the greatest thing that ever lived and I’m here to tell everybody all about it” vibes the whole time. I knew all about what a chode Yngwie was so I was just amused by the whole thing but I kept looking over at my friend and his scowl just kept getting more and more pronounced until he couldn’t take it anymore, at which point he just got up and walked out to the smoking section outside until Yngwie left the stage. It was great.

haha I went to a Generation Axe show and Yngwie was in even better form. I think I posted this before in this thread but Yngwie would run onstage, shred some neoclassical lines for a couple minutes while the synth player would hold a droning chord, then Yngwie runs offstage for 10 seconds and then runs back out. Repeat for 15 minutes. No songs played, just shredding licks. I mean clearly he was doing a heroic amounts of coke but like.. in the middle of performing? Over and over again? Couldn't wait till your 15 minute set was over? It was comical.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Imagine playing guitar in a band and not doing big high kicks at every possible opportunity though???? gently caress I do em a lot (or used to, back in the before times) and I play in a hm2 death metal band

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Concatenation posted:

Imagine playing guitar in a band and not doing big high kicks at every possible opportunity though???? gently caress I do em a lot (or used to, back in the before times) and I play in a hm2 death metal band

If I'm playing in a shoegaze band, do I need to high kick really slowly?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

If I'm playing in a shoegaze band, do I need to high kick really slowly?

Yes. The only appropriate venue is the moon, where the low gravity will allow you to do this.

Unfortunately, that means your can't push pedals for a second or two, which defeats the point of shoegaze.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BonHair posted:

Yes. The only appropriate venue is the moon, where the low gravity will allow you to do this.

Unfortunately, that means your can't push pedals for a second or two, which defeats the point of shoegaze.

I think shoegaze is like travelling in basketball in that I don't need to constantly touch pedals as long as I'm playing glide at the time.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Djent sucks and I don't like animals is leaders at all but I do find abasi interesting, I'll watch his playthroughs when they pop up on youtube: https://youtu.be/XcX2o18LnWo
His guitar is cool too

E: I realise I probably just made at least one person watch djent so here's a palate cleanser https://youtu.be/iwEf-1NkIpg

field balm fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 10, 2022

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Abasi is really good with economical picking, it’s always a bit disorienting to see him do this crazy, billion note run while his picking hand moves a total of like 3 times.

Is that mainly down to low action, compression, and clean technique? I can do some legato runs, but my fretting hand always gets tired after a bit, but these guys look like they’re expending no energy at all.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Slothful Bong posted:

Abasi is really good with economical picking, it’s always a bit disorienting to see him do this crazy, billion note run while his picking hand moves a total of like 3 times.

Is that mainly down to low action, compression, and clean technique? I can do some legato runs, but my fretting hand always gets tired after a bit, but these guys look like they’re expending no energy at all.

Well, take a look at some of Yngwie's stuff and it seems like he barely moves his right hand at times. He definitely does NOT use low action and I doubt he uses a compressor much. I think it just comes down to practice, practice, practice.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Slothful Bong posted:

I can’t speak completely intelligently to this because I don’t play what Abasi plays, but along with the stuff you mentioned which does help, the stuff he does seems like it needs a ton of hammer on / pull off fretting to do, while the right hand is mainly used to strike open strings, already-fretted notes that need to be played another time in succession, and occasionally when moving from one string to another.

As for stamina, along with practicing the technique of moving your fretting hand as little as you need and having low enough action that you don’t have to squeeze the notes hard like you’re about to use the guitar as a baseball bat, the rest just comes with practicing long pieces a whole lot. Eventually your forearm will gain the endurance you need to get through songs without tiring out. No other real shortcuts here, just play play play.

edit: thread content...

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 10, 2022

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

only problem is that while your tone is very warm on the outside, it's still frozen in the middle

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

CaptainViolence posted:

only problem is that while your tone is very warm on the outside, it's still frozen in the middle

kvlt

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Put a mini Leslie inside

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Players like Abasi or Tim Henson (Polyphia) melt my brain. I respect what they do and its definitely pushing the instrument into new territory but I couldnt even begin to write stuff like that.

Misha Mansoor/Mark Holcombe/Jake Ward from Periphery all play a bit weird but that's more down to time signatures and the occasional unconventional scale, but mechanically I can see how it works.

In terms of Nu Shred Wankers, my favourites are:

Angel Vivaldi who has an incredible melodic sense as well as low-key stunning rhythm chops

Jason Richardson because he makes no bones about being 'core Petrucci, likes pugs and has the world's most hillbilly laugh. Hyuk Hyuk huyuk.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I respect the poo poo out of the skill, but I don’t spend any time trying to “get” Abasi and the 17/3 time signature crew. Just not worth it when there’s so much other music (that doesn’t suck) to listen to.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm still lolling about Tim Henson and the whole Boomer-bends thing.

Just roasting 75% of all electric-players with one sentence.

e: even if it was inadvertently

Pondex fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 10, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Tim Henson has serious chops, and likes his genz bendz more than boomer style blues dad riffs, I understand. I missed that controversy but looking it up now Holy poo poo he hit a hornet nest.

I was trying the Neural Tim Henson archetype and it had a cool harmonizer and a sick pink amp but I ended up getting their SLO-100 instead because in the end I like '80s shred and '80s shred derived poo poo, it is what it is, and that one sounds so close to a real SLO it's nuts.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 10, 2022

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Slothful Bong posted:

Low action, compression/gain, and incredibly dialed in economy picking technique. The gallops at the start of this are fascinating - looks like he's up/down picking two notes and then hammering on the third immediately after, but he's so fluid it's hard to tell even in slomo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBQkdpHhAoE

The second section where he is mostly hammering but also picking open strings in the middle of the phrase with his ring finger is incredible too. Nothing I'd listen to for fun but amazing to watch.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I caught them live in 2014 and Abasi is ridiculously tight, I bet there isn't poo poo he can't do on a guitar if he wants to.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Agreed posted:

Tim Henson has serious chops, and likes his genz bendz more than boomer style blues dad riffs, I understand. I missed that controversy but looking it up now Holy poo poo he hit a hornet nest.

I was trying the Neural Tim Henson archetype and it had a cool harmonizer and a sick pink amp but I ended up getting their SLO-100 instead because in the end I like '80s shred and '80s shred derived poo poo, it is what it is, and that one sounds so close to a real SLO it's nuts.

I know of a guy who got banned from a pretty popular guitar forum (known for being the internet's one-stop-shop for blues lawyers) for simply posting this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEQCh0RDJY

I bet the Tim Henson comment drove them all insane too, haha.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

darkwasthenight posted:

The gallops at the start of this are fascinating - looks like he's up/down picking two notes and then hammering on the third immediately after, but he's so fluid it's hard to tell even in slomo.

Abasi calls it "selective picking." It's really hard to get down and feels very counterintuitive, but it sounds so cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv8q0itb-j8

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah the selective picking stuff is really cool, i had been doing something similar (but a lot slower and simpler) for a while so it kind of immediately clicked as an idea

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I do that too but not as well & it has not made me famous or popular. Maybe I just need to do more of it though. I will keep trying.

Should I also do djents? Music is hard, and inspiration can be fleeting, and in addition to that I am tired.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 10, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think what i always used to consider djent and what djent is actually widely considered are two different things so i dont even talk about it anymore. i thought it was metalcore with meshuggah influences but now its like big ambient stuff and extra low guitars (like meshuggah)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

its when the guitars go 'djent djent djent' (so I assume anything with palm muting counts)

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Abasi also came up with/started using a right hand double thumb picking technique he calls Thumping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-PPKr6oOb0

It's nuts but it didn't really take off because it's a pretty limited sound, but Tim Henson has started to do some stuff with the technique. I'm not really a fan of Tim Henson's sound or songs, but poo poo at least he's doing new stuff (by cribbing from trap) and getting the kids interested in guitar again. Or maybe he's already passe, it's not really a sound that will have legs I think. BUT I will say the song in the Archetype launch video is sick.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 11, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

A couple neat things I found from Tim Henson while poking around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkaQm_53RUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyGYqc_N-js

I don't think I have listened to his band though, I'm kinda behind on newer music though to be honest. I get excited when I hear some poo poo from 2016 that I haven't heard before and it sounds good to me. I think it's cool if he's getting YOUTHS into guitar - I remember the dark days of 2009 when sales were under 1 billion and last year they were almost to 10 billion, gently caress yeah. Take that synths. (I love synths.)

edit: this is cool imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7T0TPBYGjs

edit 2: I listened to some of Henson's band, not for me. The audience seems real into it though so good for them.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 11, 2022

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Back in the day on the IMDb music forums (lol) there was one huge Yngwie fan who tried to prove all the haters wrong by saying this had as much feel or emotion as any guitarist out there.

https://youtu.be/C-5RjH686uU

Behold Yngwie playing exactly the same as he always does…but in a blues scale!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
174 lbs. today. Went pants shopping. Melissa has bought me a basic wardrobe starter kit but I'm here to show off a cool linen shirt and ripped/patched jeans she got for me. The dress shoes are a huge faux pas an she is very angry about them. I picked the guitar for you.

Reduced huge image size.

It's douchy enough, right?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 13, 2022

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

174 lbs. today. Went pants shopping. Melissa has bought me a basic wardrobe starter kit but I'm here to show off a cool linen shirt and ripped/patched jeans she got for me. The dress shoes are a huge faux pas an she is very angry about them. I picked the guitar for you.

Reduced huge image size.

needs boots and more douchey shades, but you're like 99 percent there. Commence face meltage

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do you have an ear ring?

edit: congrats on the 174lbs.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

different shoes (boots are probably a good move) but you're definitely heading in the right direction, IMO. The pants look a bit broad at the bottom, a little taper might make them look even better.

You look like someone who can definitely shred.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

Reduced huge image size.

looks pretty good!

I feel like this is some sort of thread milestone, we've come so far

edit: agreed on the boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Looks great!

Echoing that moving to boots would be a good thing.