Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Imagine being their mom trying to call one of them in from the yard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Imagined posted:

Who were the three dwarfs who left the Shire with Bilbo in book 1? If they were just in the other room packing while Bilbo and Gandalf were having the whole discussion about giving up the Ring, does that mean they heard all of that, too?

I always assumed that the dwarves who showed up to help with his party were at least some of his old travelling companions, given that they were willing to come all the way to the Shire on his account, and he subsequently went on to Dale with them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

I always assumed that the dwarves who showed up to help with his party were at least some of his old travelling companions, given that they were willing to come all the way to the Shire on his account, and he subsequently went on to Dale with them.

Or the kids thereof, since they'd all be Too Old For That poo poo(tm) by then.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Trin Tragula posted:

Did Bilbo visit Dale again? I thought he made it as far as Rivendell, but was too tired to keep on travelling and never left.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 10, 2022

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

girl dick energy posted:

Correct! They're an important part of troop and character movement rules in War of the Ring, and the game board only expresses them with slightly thicker and more squiggly black lines than the normal area borders.

Yeah, that sounds like awful visual design.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Anshu posted:

Yeah, that sounds like awful visual design.
It's detailed and very pretty and acceptably accurate, but God is it rough for playing sometimes.

This is what the board looks like. (And yes, the cheap plastic minis are included. One of the best improvements my favorite Tabletop Sim module makes is replacing them with much nicer, classier wooden disks.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 10, 2022

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Did Bilbo visit Dale again? I thought he made it as far as Rivendell, but was too tired to keep on travelling and never left.

I did have to go back and check to be sure, and:

quote:

Bilbo had not much to say of himself. When he had left Hobbiton he had wandered off aimlessly, along the Road or in the country on either side; but somehow he had steered all the time towards Rivendell.

`I got here without much adventure,' he said, `and after a rest I went on with the dwarves to Dale: my last journey. I shan't travel again. Old Balin had gone away. Then I came back here, and here I have been.'

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Someone made some custom mountain ranges, which make the board look really cool:

Only 100 dollars.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

adhuin posted:

Someone made some custom mountain ranges, which make the board look really cool:

Only 100 dollars.
Add it to the slowly growing pile of reasons I kind of want a 3D printer.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

girl dick energy posted:

Add it to the slowly growing pile of reasons I kind of want a 3D printer.

If you have a microcenter near you they occasionally run a $100 deal on the Ender 3 Pro. Tinkering with a 3D printer is a hobby in and of itself but I’ve gotten a ton of mileage out of mine.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Looks like you could make those mountain ranges with some modeling clay

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

girl dick energy posted:

So people can see what I'm talking about, this is my in-progress (very) rough first draft. Started in the middle and expanded outward, since in my experience, a lot of how the early game plays out hinges on what happens in and around Lorien and Isengard. I am going to end up doing some terrible violence to the geography of Middle Earth by the time I'm finished.

Edit: Oh jesus I did not expect the image to be that big. WHOOPS.

Please keep posting the "subway map" edition of War of the Ring. I really like the idea of super clean design paired with such archaic-sounding place names.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
If one wanted to learn Khuzdul, our Neo-Khuzdul, how would they go about it?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Furism posted:

If one wanted to learn Khuzdul, our Neo-Khuzdul, how would they go about it?

Read the “Analysis of Dwarvish” article in here, realize that every scrap of the Khuzdul corpus can be made to fit on five pages, then make up the rest of the language as you see fit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Please keep posting the "subway map" edition of War of the Ring. I really like the idea of super clean design paired with such archaic-sounding place names.
I lost a lot of work in a computer crash, so I got pretty discouraged for a while. Thank you for this post. Without it, I probably wouldn't have bothered picking it back up.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have to confess that for several years now we've been listening and relistening to the Inglis audiobook versions to fall asleep literally every single night. His voice plus the familiarity of the material is :discourse: for sleepy time. Anyway, any day you see me is literally a day where I'm in the middle of a slow, constant reread, but to this day new things stand out to me every time.

This time:

1.) In book 2, as Gandalf leads the Fellowship to flee into Moria to escape the Watcher in the water:

JRRT posted:

Rousing them from the horror that seemed to have rooted all but Sam to the ground where they stood, he drove them forward. 
Sam rules. :black101:

2.) How does Gandalf make it all the way into Orthanc without noticing that Isengard is all evil and poo poo, as he sees from the roof after being imprisoned?

3.) Is there something weird or magical about the actual location of Rivendell?

Boromir mentions "of which many had heard, but few knew where it lay" and that he came there "by strange roads", and even when Merry asked Strider how far it was to Rivendell. Strider didn’t know, and he gave some vague answer like “Some say it is so far, and some say otherwise.” This road was a “strange road,” he said.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman hide his forces . Gandalf does however get a bad feeling when he enters the gates of Isengard , he just dismisses it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rivendell is protected by Elrond’s (ring of) power. Like Lorien it’s a secret refuge and one does not necessarily just walk in. In the bit you’re talking about with Merry, Aragorn follows up with some pretty accurate estimates of how far out they are (about two weeks). He also says more or less “look, don’t worry how long this is going to take, be grateful that we still have any chance of making it there alive”.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The roads were strange to boromir Becuase he’s never been there .

Denethor did know approximately where it was tho iirc . So it wasn’t unknown to the (lower case w) wise

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

The roads were strange to boromir Becuase he’s never been there .

Denethor did know approximately where it was tho iirc . So it wasn’t unknown to the (lower case w) wise

Very approximately.

quote:

Of these words [Faramir’s dream] we could understand little, and we spoke to our father, Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith, wise in the lore of Gondor. This only would he say, that Imladris was of old the name among the Elves of a far northern dale, where Elrond the Halfelven dwelt, greatest of lore-masters. Therefore my brother, seeing how desperate was our need, was eager to heed the dream and seek for Imladris; but since the way was full of doubt and danger, I took the journey upon myself. Loth was my father to give me leave, and long have I wandered by roads forgotten, seeking the house of Elrond, of which many had heard, but few knew where it lay.

“Long have I wandered” is kind of underselling it—he was on the road from July 4 to October 24!

“Few knew where it lay” is interesting too, since it implies that some did know. Did he run into some elf who pointed him in the right direction?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess eventually Illuvatar just kind of got him there (or Ulmo)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

euphronius posted:

Saruman hide his forces . Gandalf does however get a bad feeling when he enters the gates of Isengard , he just dismisses it

quote:

They took me and they set me alone on the pinnacle of Orthanc, in the place where Saruman was accustomed to watch the stars. There is no descent save by a narrow stair of many thousand steps, and the valley below seems far away. I looked on it and saw that, whereas it had once been green and fair, it was now filled with pits and forges. Wolves and orcs were housed in Isengard, for Saruman was mustering a great force on his own account, in rivalry of Sauron and not in his service yet.

quote:

Over all his works a dark smoke hung and wrapped itself about the sides of Orthanc. I stood alone on an island in the clouds; and I had no chance of escape, and my days were bitter.

quote:

...most of the valley had become a wilderness of weeds and thorns. Brambles trailed upon the ground, or clambering over bush and bank, made shaggy caves where small beasts housed. No trees grew there; but among the rank grasses could still be seen the burned and axe-hewn stumps of ancient groves. It was a sad country, silent now but for the stony noise of quick waters. Smokes and steams drifted in sullen clouds and lurked in the hollows.

quote:

The plain, too, was bored and delved. Shafts were driven deep into the ground; their upper ends were covered by low mounds and domes of stone, so that in the moonlight the Ring of Isengard looked like a graveyard of unquiet dead. For the ground trembled. The shafts ran down by many slopes and spiral stairs to caverns far under; there Saruman had treasuries, store-houses, armouries, smithies, and great furnaces. Iron wheels revolved there endlessly, and hammers thudded. At night plumes of vapour steamed from the vents, lit from beneath with red light, or blue, or venomous green.

I mean, sounds pretty hard to hide all that from a literal angel/wizard to me, but what do I know.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I always took it that a casual searcher would miss it but if someone were determined they’d eventually find their way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He arrived in the middle of the night and Saruman had the furnaces set to “standby”

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

He was jetlagged and didn’t register what he was seeing until he got to the AirBnB and realized all the rooms were non-smoking.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gandalf is hustling in on a horse because he’s in a rush to see Saruman, he thinks he’s got important information that he needs to hear immediately. He’s neither out in Isengard for very long, nor is he paying attention to his surroundings. Moreover, it is “late one evening” when he rolls up. Probably too dark to see much. Once he’s on top of the tower he has a birds eye view and nothing better to do with his time than look and worry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman knew he was coming also

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

He was jetlagged and didn’t register what he was seeing until he got to the AirBnB and realized all the rooms were non-smoking.

He even leaves a zero star review

“Nay, the guest who has escaped from the roof, will think twice before he comes back in by the door. Nay, I do not think I will come up.”

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

tbh the movie actually solves that by having the main body of work happening in secret, and only after Gandalf arrives does Saruman kick things into high gear and reveal Orthanc as a vassal of Sauron

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

I guess eventually Illuvatar just kind of got him there (or Ulmo)

If you want to keep your hidden sanctuary actually safe from random mortals wandering in under Ulmo's guidance, you're gonna have to situate it far from any streams.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Boromir filled a water skin with river water, that may be a portable Ulmo vector.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

If Boromir filled a water skin with river water, that may be a portable Ulmo vector.

They used the Bruinen to wash away the Black Riders and save the day, at the ford, they had plenty of water for Ulmo to spy with.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you want to keep your hidden sanctuary actually safe from random mortals wandering in under Ulmo's guidance, you're gonna have to situate it far from any streams.

But unless you're a servant of the Enemy, why woukd you want to keep out people guided by Ulmo?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ulmo did a thing with Gondolin. Maybe some elves don’t think that turned out great

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anshu posted:

But unless you're a servant of the Enemy, why woukd you want to keep out people guided by Ulmo?

euphronius posted:

Ulmo did a thing with Gondolin. Maybe some elves don’t think that turned out great

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ulmo knows where you live

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is there any more than the line in Book 2 about how Galadriel attempted to have Gandalf as the head of the White Council, when, or why?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

euphronius posted:

Yeah but the reason Gondolin didn't turn out that great is because at the critical moment they decided to ignore Ulmo's advice. Same could be said of Nargothrond and their whole bridge situation.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Imagined posted:

Is there any more than the line in Book 2 about how Galadriel attempted to have Gandalf as the head of the White Council, when, or why?

Not much, this is from "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" in The Silmarillion:

quote:

Ever most vigilant was Mithrandir, and he it was that most doubted the darkness in Mirkwood, for many deemed that it was wrought by the Ringwraits, he feared that it was indeed the first shadow of Sauron returning; and he went to Dol Guldur, and the Sorcerer fled from him, and there was watchful peace for a long while. But at length the Shadow returned and its power increased; and in that time was first made the Council of the Wise that is called the White Council, and therein were Elrond and Galadriel and Círdan, and other lords of the Eldar, and with them were Mithrandir and Curunir. And Curunir (that was Saruman the White) was chosen the be their chief, for he had most studied the devices of Sauron of old. Galadriel indeed had wished that Mithrandir should be the head of the Council, and Saruman begrudged them that, for his pride and desire of mastery was grown great; but Mithrandir refused the office, since he would have no ties and no allegiance, save to those that sent him, and he would abide in no place nor be subject to any summons. But Saruman now began to study the lore of the Rings of Power, their making and their history.

So Gandalf was actually offered the job and turned it down, making Saruman v salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Phy posted:

Ulmo knows where you pee