Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Snake Maze posted:

There's one in a side room outside her boss arena, and one inside her boss arena after the fight. If we assume the bloom in Caelid from the trailer is canon, that's 3 blooms.

the first two aren't the same? i guess i need to go revisit that boss arena lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

stev posted:

How do people ever lose the souls you get from bosses? You can put them into levels immediately after you fight them. What else do you need 450,000 for?

A deadly combination of hubris and forgetfulness, usually.

One time I lost 100k runes because I completely forgot I took twiggy off of my physick flask.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the first two aren't the same? i guess i need to go revisit that boss arena lol

The one to the side of her boss arena is not her's, I don't think. The implication is that it's Millicent or one of her sisters, given the clothes you find right next to it is her armor set

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

The one to the side of her boss arena is not her's, I don't think. The implication is that it's Millicent or one of her sisters, given the clothes you find right next to it is her armor set

None of the other sisters bloomed though, that's why Gowry was so hype for Millicent

Also, her second form is called 'Goddess of Rot', I think at that point she had become the Goddess of Rot

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
A true and stalwart Potentate of the proper lineage to take the reigns of Jarburg.

Did a new run with a spiked cestus, pots, bloodflame blade, and pumping stat points into Vigor. It's surprisingly powerful. I didn't realize that the R2 power attack is a strait combo that breaks enemy stances likes cracked pots. Made it all the way to Mountaintop of the Giants without issue at level 30. The only downside is that I can no longer summon cooperators, and can't really do PvP because earned way too many runes for my level (those bosses).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Obligatum VII posted:

Yeah, I'm torn on this because on the one hand, during phase two she's explicitly titled "Malenia, Goddess of Rot". Which implies that mid-fight bloom was her third.

But on the other hand, the incantation you can only get after beating her says "Each time the scarlet flower blooms, Malenia's rot advances. It has
bloomed twice already. With the third bloom, she will become a true goddess.", which is a weird use of tenses if all three blooms already happened.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Something I just noticed was that Margit has a move with his big scorpion looking tail that is reminiscent of one of the Crucible Knight arts that spawns a big tail or whatever.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sapozhnik posted:

The remake's opening video opens with John Demonsouls epically slaying an epic horde of zombies and then facing down a more dangerous big troll enemy with the power of ghost friendship or whatever. I'll admit I never got too far into DeS but it feels like it's missing the point of DeS' atmosphere about as hard as it is possible to miss it.

Aside from the filter on the combat scenes in the original (and the low framerate, and lower video quality) they're basically the same. Shots of scenery, dude chumps zombies until a big thing shows up and smacks him down, ghost friends appear and they get ready to fight, dragon god roars. The combat is in-engine and shot from a less dramatic angle because of it, but it's the same drat scenes.

I've played through NuDeS multiple times and the old DeS way more times than is healthy, and noticed essentially no changes aside from those caused by having greater graphical fidelity and fewer system limitations. Better lighting makes things look nicer, better textures need more detail, etc. I guess Flamelurker got changed but given his old design was just a giant pile of bloom turned up to 11 I didn't really care. The internet says some background banners got changed and there's moss on bricks which totally ruins the game.

Much like "it should be really unforgivingly hard... like the original Dark Souls!" I'm going to put Bluepoint Ruins DeS in the people don't remember this clearly basket.

Professor Beetus posted:

I'd be curious to see how folks in here would "solve" this particular problem because I really can't think of anything satisfactory.

Release Souls PvP, a standalone service game dedicated to constantly rebalancing PvP. No quests, static level, no adventuring, no single-player, no 200 weapons, no items... just an easily-tuned machine constantly updated based on the emerging meta. All gear/levels/spells are selected from a menu and saved to builds. Twinking is impossible, meta builds can be swiftly nerfed, and there will never be a host advantage. Dedicated servers host 1v1 - 4v4 queues. It will fix literally every problem with PvP.

Surely then, everyone will be happy?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I'm torn on this because on the one hand, during phase two she's explicitly titled "Malenia, Goddess of Rot". Which implies that mid-fight bloom was her third.

But on the other hand, the incantation you can only get after beating her says "Each time the scarlet flower blooms, Malenia's rot advances. It has
bloomed twice already. With the third bloom, she will become a true goddess.", which is a weird use of tenses if all three blooms already happened.

Might be a translation ambiguity, since Japanese doesn’t have a future tense as such and typically futurity is conveyed by context.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Snake Maze posted:

It's weirdly-worded no matter how you interpret it, since It's weird to talk about a theoretical third blooming when she's dead. I take it to mean "there were two blooms before she fought the player."

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

So FromSoft programmed Gostoc to actually follow you around Stormveil with a teleport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpk7UN7U6lk

Real creepy but pretty cool and I don’t regret accidentally killing him for a second

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm not quite sure how you would solve twinking stuff tbh. There's plenty of stuff you can just run and grab at low level even without trading/dupes, especially in Elden Ring with its open world and very few things being progress gated. Maybe some kind of weapon "tiers" beyond upgrades but it seems like it'd be a nightmare to implement something like that. I'd be curious to see how folks in here would "solve" this particular problem because I really can't think of anything satisfactory.

e: It kinda feels like Soul Memory in DS2 was some sort of attempt at balancing multiplayer stuff but that was a pretty bad system and clearly FROM thought so too since it doesn't exist in SotFS (is it still in vanilla DS2 or did it get patched out)?

Talismans are really where they need this attention the most I think - weapon AR and character stats are policed by existing restrictions on matchmaking, and the strongest armors are functionally restricted by stats/RL matchmaking since the strongest generally require a gently caress ton of END to be able to equip. Late game talismans have no such restrictions and probably the cheesiest and most “unfair” way to game the matchmaking.

It would be pretty straightforward to imagine a system where talismans, armor, and spells are evaluated equivalent to the weapon upgrade levels of their area. Volcano manor has the +1 Crimson amber medallion, which is something you can grab on a level 1 character without fighting anything. This area also drops level 5-7 somber stones, so you could say that equipping this talisman would put you in whatever bracket a +5 somber weapon lands you in. The distribution of weapon upgrade materials feels pretty well thought out already and seems to track the expected player power level of an area, so this would make sense to tack on to it I think.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Holy poo poo, the Urumi is so loving cool. Why did no one tell me the Urumi was so loving cool!? I know only its charged heavy attack is different from other whips, but man, that move is great. It barely takes longer than an uncharged heavy, hits twice, and the second hit is a thrust with outrageous range. It's so much fun to poke and harass with, and it finally perfects the Castlevania build, since it's the only whip that goes straight out like the Vampire Killer. :drac:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Everyone bitching about pvp invasions in this game obviously never got acid cloud/scraping speared

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Silhouette posted:

Everyone bitching about pvp invasions in this game obviously never got acid cloud/scraping speared

dont forget the pocket northern regalia

remake chat: it's good. new music is a mixed bag, i would have preferred an option to use the original soundtrack

edit: the object destruction in the remake is the best in the entire series. swing a moonlight great sword or a northern regalia through some boxes and you'll understand

Raine fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 11, 2022

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I finally figured out why I was having so much trouble using ashes of war. I thought I could only use them when using a weapon with both hands, but just read about using the 'no skill' ash on your shield so you can trigger your main weapon ash with L2. Ashes are WAY more useful now. To think I had unsheathe this whole time and hadn't used it once, nevermind all the other ones i'd collected (storm stomp, repeating thrust, determination, gravitas, glinstone pebble, sacred blade, golden vow). Are any of those worth using over just unsheathe with the uchiganta/katana? The whole stats negation thing with ashes still confuses me.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

frogbs posted:

I finally figured out why I was having so much trouble using ashes of war. I thought I could only use them when using a weapon with both hands, but just read about using the 'no skill' ash on your shield so you can trigger your main weapon ash with L2. Ashes are WAY more useful now. To think I had unsheathe this whole time and hadn't used it once, nevermind all the other ones i'd collected (storm stomp, repeating thrust, determination, gravitas, glinstone pebble, sacred blade, golden vow). Are any of those worth using over just unsheathe with the uchiganta/katana? The whole stats negation thing with ashes still confuses me.

The stats thing just changes what the weapon scales with, ie; what stats give you more damage. "Keen" sales with dexterity, "Heavy" scales with strength, "Quality" goes off both, etc. Depending on the build, you might want your chosen weapon to emphasize one stat over another. Each ash comes with a scaling attached, which you can choose not to use in favor of "standard" or the default scaling the weapon comes with. It also sometimes adds elemental damage, which also scales with different stats.

Eventually, you can find items called "whetblades" which will let you apply pretty much any kind of scaling you want regardless of the ash. Each whetblade opens up different options. It sounds complicated but it's not really. What's higher, your strength or dexterity? Change your weapon to that scaling and it should do more damage. You can grapple with more complicated scaling as it comes to you.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stev posted:

How do people ever lose the souls you get from bosses? You can put them into levels immediately after you fight them. What else do you need 450,000 for?

i got 2.2 million because I'm not sure I want to level past particular co-op/pvp matchmaking brackets.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

The stats thing just changes what the weapon scales with, ie; what stats give you more damage. "Keen" sales with dexterity, "Heavy" scales with strength, "Quality" goes off both, etc. Depending on the build, you might want your chosen weapon to emphasize one stat over another. Each ash comes with a scaling attached, which you can choose not to use in favor of "standard" or the default scaling the weapon comes with. It also sometimes adds elemental damage, which also scales with different stats.

Eventually, you can find items called "whetblades" which will let you apply pretty much any kind of scaling you want regardless of the ash. Each whetblade opens up different options. It sounds complicated but it's not really. What's higher, your strength or dexterity? Change your weapon to that scaling and it should do more damage. You can grapple with more complicated scaling as it comes to you.

It previews the new damage numbers as you are selecting so you can see what option does the most for you.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IT-DPhIxX8

what in the world is this game

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
About half, and more in some fights, of the reason to use the war cry ash (and the charge and roar talismans) is not the bonkers damage you do (e.g. 3/4 of the life bar of one the sellia bosses), but that you loving run towards them, stunlocking them if your run into them, and hit them with your giant hammer at the end. With smaller enemies you can possibly run into them and hammer past them, but that's pretty minor and if you start the run animation from the right distance, it won't happen.

Realistically, after doing the war cry roar, you have about 2 tries to nail a boss before you should heal and war cry again.

What's the current mimic info? They can only use x items in your x slots? You should give them only the needed items and no more?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Elden Ring is a quick breezy diversion that's over in less than 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B92tilwUiF8

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

found an interesting item description on a shield from stormveil castle:

quote:

Metal greatshield coated with gold. Carried by knights loyal to
Godrick.

The red tinge in the gold coat mirrors the primordial matter that
became the Erdtree. The color of homeward yearning.

so the erdtree i guess explicitly was originally some kind of primordial blob thing that poo poo out a whole bunch of chaotic life then stabilised and formed into the erdtree and made everything into its present form

i guess the omens and misbegotten and such are from the order slowly breaking down

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

redreader posted:

What's the current mimic info? They can only use x items in your x slots? You should give them only the needed items and no more?

As far as I can tell they can and will use any combat relevant consumables you have equipped in the item bar except for your flasks. The meat dumplings are amazing since it gives them some big heals, and pots and perfumes can be good if you have useful ones, but stuff like warming stones can make them stop fighting to drop one somewhere useless.

They won't use stuff like glowstones or cotton, so you still have some leeway, but in general if you're using the mimic you want to limit your item bar to things you want them to use.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BioThermo posted:

As much as I respect speedrunners there's something especially soulless about these zip runs. They don't fight a single enemy. Within a week they'll have found a zip that takes you straight to the end and the WR will be under 30 seconds.

Hopefully once they've done that the community will move on to try some actually good speedruns that involve playing the game (I know there's a sub-90 minute glitch free one - more of that please).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh my god this ulcerated tree spirit in the scarlet rot pool like lol wut. I might need a lie down after that humbling experience. :staredog:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh my god this ulcerated tree spirit in the scarlet rot pool like lol wut. I might need a lie down after that humbling experience. :staredog:

it's not a good fight! it is not a good fight.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oxxidation posted:

it's not a good fight! it is not a good fight.

Lmao luckily I discovered I could just hop back onto the branch out of reach and huck rocks at it until it died. Good job From on not giving them any ranged counter!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BioThermo posted:

Lmao jesus

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Professor Beetus posted:

Does it drop anything? I said gently caress it and noped out.

Also, which one is it? There are at least two...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Does it drop anything? I said gently caress it and noped out.

Also, which one is it? There are at least two...

Killing it is necessary to advance Millicent's questline. The one in the biiig sort of chamber that you have to run across a bit of roots to get to.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Professor Beetus posted:

Somehow I accidentally lured it into the lake of rot. It's very vulnerable to scarlet rot and died without a single hit.

edit: Nevermind. Thinking of a different scarlet rot pool.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's crazy about Stormveil castle IMO is that on my first playthrough of the game I feel like I did a shitload of roof hopping and junk. The other times I've played through the area I've discovered that you never (well, once, a tiny bit) have to touch the roof area that I found. Bonkers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
many dungeons in elden ring are good but stormveil castle feels like they started designing it and never figured out how to stop

i still haven't fully explored the place

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's pretty funny that there's TWO ulcerated tree spirits in scarlet rot pools. But yeah it was the Millicent quest one. Totally worth it though, if this talisman is half as good as the description implies, especially for my dual hoslow whips.

e: I beat the one in Lake of Rot in one go without any cheesy strats :smug:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Having beaten this game twice now, I think i hate the Dragon Temple Knights In Farum Azula more than any other enemy.

Also Stormveil is really great, I ended up overleveled for the other early areas of the game due to repeatedly helping others clear out the castle.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

stev posted:

As much as I respect speedrunners there's something especially soulless about these zip runs. They don't fight a single enemy. Within a week they'll have found a zip that takes you straight to the end and the WR will be under 30 seconds.

Hopefully once they've done that the community will move on to try some actually good speedruns that involve playing the game (I know there's a sub-90 minute glitch free one - more of that please).

I'd say they'll come up with an all boss run to account for this, like that's one of the most popular categories for the other Souls games precisely because of this.

Though they'll have to determine which bosses really count as 'true' bosses because there's no way anybody is doing all like 100 bosses when you include the mini bosses.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 11, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh hey I finally made it to the end so I can start watching speedruns now! Lemme just click on one real quick and

BioThermo posted:

:stare:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

khwarezm posted:

I'd say they'll come up with an all boss run to account for this, like that's one of the most popular categories for the other Souls games precisely because of this.

Though they'll have to determine which bosses really count as 'true' bosses because there's no way anybody is doing all like 100 bosses when include the mini bosses.

People are already doing "All Remembrance" runs. I imagine that'll be the main boss-killing category, since you fight most of the coolest guys but don't have to spend hours clearing every catacomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there's an all remembrances speedrun that's around 2 hours now. it's mostly played legit from what I've seen.