Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like that BZ was adding in some new stuff like the quantum locker that lets you access it’s contents from multiple locations or the teleport module for the sea truck. But by the time I got those things I didn’t have much of a use for them in the game other than a novelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only way to really get use out of ion batteries and power cells is to get them from time capsules, which I lucked into.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Has anyone else found more than 2 icebergs with cavities inside?
I have only found the 2 and was curious if there were more.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Just noticed this from the subnautica change log twitter:

https://twitter.com/subnauticascm/status/1509900700431822852?s=21&t=sx3BQfS56KVeM7qNxFLAkQ

4/1/22

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
https://twitter.com/UnknownWorlds/status/1512146852258459649

Subnautica 3 in the planning stage?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
'Subnautica Universe' could be anything, it's just their own IP with Alterra&Co, ever since Natural Selection.

But I really would love another Subnautica game.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Calling it now: Subnautica: Above One Hundred

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Seafloor Subnautica, you escape the collapse of a Rapture-like deep-ocean habitat where Something Happened and Everyone Went Wrong, and need to advance the plot enough to be able to get a rescue Cyclops sent

We're on the same planet so presumably anywhere there's open ocean to be on the deep seafloor of there's just a poo poo-ton of Leviathan-size predators ~

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

Seafloor Subnautica, you escape the collapse of a Rapture-like deep-ocean habitat where Something Happened and Everyone Went Wrong, and need to advance the plot enough to be able to get a rescue Cyclops sent

We're on the same planet so presumably anywhere there's open ocean to be on the deep seafloor of there's just a poo poo-ton of Leviathan-size predators ~

This but it plays like Resident Evil or Dead Space.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Subnautica: Inside Out: Honey, I Shrunk the Leviathon

Wherein you must use ancient technology to shrink yourself to the size of a kidney stone and enter the body of a Sea Emperor offspring from the first game in order to stop microscopic virus leviathans from forcing their host to aerosolize the entire planet’s ocean

But as soon as the story starts the writing staff changes and you forget about all that in order to become the best jet ski racer this planet’s ever seen. Jet skis are horrible to drive and can’t go over water

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bad Munki posted:

Calling it now: Subnautica: Above One Hundred

The beloved hoverbike is back and you get to ride it across a volcano area with giant lava worms coming out of the ground.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
:okpos: Reverse Subnautica : the strategy game where you're playing as a hostile environment, trying to evict and/or devour the Lone Human With A Screwdriver before they strip-mine the planet and escape.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

YggiDee posted:

:okpos: Reverse Subnautica : the strategy game where you're playing as a hostile environment, trying to evict and/or devour the Lone Human With A Screwdriver before they strip-mine the planet and escape.

Reaper Leviathan simulator would own.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Now, I AM THE DANGER :black101:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

If it doesn’t have a “roar” button then I’m not playing.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

withak posted:

If it doesn’t have a “roar” button then I’m not playing.

The roar would clearly give you a view like the cyclops sonar view.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Time to join back with your Alterra crew and kick some Sea Emperor rear end in this Loot-heavy Squad based third-person shooter filled with progression. Start out as an infantry-men and level up with your buddies to unlock vehicles like the Seamoth and the one-man mech, the Prawn. Eventually you might even unlock the ultimate 3 man crewed vehicle <redacted>.

Make sure to buy the season pass for access to the Ion Cells and the grappling hook.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I would be surprised if they were already making a Subnautica 3, they sounded pretty burned out by having made nothing but Subnautica games for 6 years straight.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just hope the engine doesn't suck donkey rear end this time around

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
UW has been rolling their own engines for a decade now, god willing they'll finally stop.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Serephina posted:

UW has been rolling their own engines for a decade now, god willing they'll finally stop.

The finger curls on the monkey paw

Subnautica 3: Unity Edition

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
...but the first two Subnautica games are already built in Unity?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

..btt posted:

Yeah, they are.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Didn’t UW sell themselves off to someone else too?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

..btt posted:

Oh! Well that explains the poo poo performance and pop-in then

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was under the impression that the problem with Subnautica, is that it is built on an engine designed for a different type of game. And that all the terraforming stuff from the early days of the game is still there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the terrain modification stuff seemed more like an excuse. they blamed the issues on the terrain modification stuff, then they claimed they could not take it out without unity's source code, despite them putting it in there in the first place, which just sounds incorrect to me.

unity is a fine engine as a starting point if you are a competent dev, but uw just flat-out does not seem like one.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My bet is they shift to Unreal seeing as they were bought by PUBG, and it still being poo poo somehow.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

unity is a fine engine as a starting point if you are a competent dev, but uw just flat-out does not seem like one.

Outer Wilds is made in Unity, the Subnautica devs have no excuse. Subnautica is a great game but technically it feels like it was slapped together by people who didn't really know what they were doing. A competent team of developers wouldn't release a game where to this day you still can't reliably use your prawn suit to walk around in alien areas without getting stuck to the floor.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lol my Seamoth got taken into the terrain by a ghost leviathan clipping it through just last week.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really, really want to play hardcore BZ on Switch, and I absolutely cannot. Without fail, it'd fail.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

Didn’t UW sell themselves off to someone else too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krafton

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really, really want to play hardcore BZ on Switch, and I absolutely cannot. Without fail, it'd fail.

Lol playing the Switch version is hardcore mode no matter what difficulty you set it on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol playing the Switch version is hardcore mode no matter what difficulty you set it on.

Yeah, fair. They did put out a fix that got rid of the guarantees crash after around 2 hours of play. Great!

Unfortunately, the trade-off was some other bug that was either introduced or just more evident, which led to random crashes anywhere from 1-3 hours of play.

So, now I just save all the time.

Meanwhile, my wife's playing it on PC (well, replaying it now) and no crashes in sight.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Applied for this, wish me luck

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

We'll blame everything wrong with the next game on you.

Overall though, they sound like a decent company to work for.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 12, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Your story better involve Margurite and her personal vendetta to kill every last motherfucking reaper leviathan on that cursed planet.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

General Battuta posted:

gently caress yeah :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Your story better involve Margurite and her personal vendetta to kill every last motherfucking reaper leviathan on that cursed planet.

For the love of all that is good, get Margeurit back home.

I was kinda bummed that she wasn't involved in the ending of BZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
If you're hired stick around at least long enough to ensure that the writing is consistent.