Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

Spoiler about the first season of S6 from the reviews. It sounds like the first scene is about a crime scene and people looking through a house in a forward, presumably Gene's house? Which makes it sound to me like we will definitely be getting a good few Gene episodes at the end of the show, same as BB style

Link? I'm surprised the embargoes on reciewers would let them talk about the lfashforwarzs.

There's scenes with body bags in the trailer, that seem to be the Salamanca estate, which is what I'm wondering if this refers to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Man it's going to be rough in the mid-season finale when Kim boards Wayfarer 515

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Link? I'm surprised the embargoes on reciewers would let them talk about the lfashforwarzs.

There's scenes with body bags in the trailer, that seem to be the Salamanca estate, which is what I'm wondering if this refers to.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/better_call_saul/s06

A few of the reviews talk about the first two episodes in some depth without spoilers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This sounds ominous and holy poo poo I can't wait.

Ew.com posted:

The season-starting Gene scenes have turned into the longest tease in TV history. The new premiere swerves unexpectedly, and delightfully, with a marvelous opening that suggests these final 13 episodes will reveal the answers to questions you didn't know you had. Inventing tantalizing new mysteries right as the end begins? Only the best artists pull a con like that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This sounds ominous and holy poo poo I can't wait.

Yes.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
So the instagram page has officially revealed Walt and Jesse WILL be in the season. Honestly surprised, and the fact that they are revealing it makes me think they will be in it a bit rather than just a cameo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

So the instagram page has officially revealed Walt and Jesse WILL be in the season. Honestly surprised, and the fact that they are revealing it makes me think they will be in it a bit rather than just a cameo.

Why is that surprising? They're the entire reason he had to get a new identity.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I just thought they were too old to replay them for any substantial scenes tbh and they would work around it. 42 year old playing a -17ish year old is on another level than Mike and Saul, and I got the feeling the El Camino cameo was gonna be the final thing. I don't care though, Excited to see what they come up with.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I feel like the events of BrBa will play out mostly in a montage.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like the events of BrBa will play out mostly in a montage.

I really hope so. I don't want to see the events of BrBa recapped over the course of a season but from Saul's perspective. That seems to have been what a lot of people wanted the series to be from the start though.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hope they asked for a million each and got it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

stev posted:

I really hope so. I don't want to see the events of BrBa recapped over the course of a season but from Saul's perspective. That seems to have been what a lot of people wanted the series to be from the start though.

I'll be really surprised if this final season is some sort of compressed BrBa. They've got enough threads to close without that.

Although seeing Kim just out of the original shot of classic scenes would be quite funny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Although seeing Kim just out of the original shot of classic scenes would be quite funny.

It'd be like Orko from He-Man.

Or if they just seeshoehorn Kim into alternate takes of those classic scenes.

Walt: I am the one who knocks!
Kim, at his door: Oh, poo poo, I was just about to knock...

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 10, 2022

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think it's important to show what happened during breaking bad as it pertains to Jimmy and Mike. Not necessarily everything in BrBa mind you, just the things that are relevant to Jimmy during that time. Part of the show is his exile as Gene after BrBa and for the show to stand on its own you have to show why that happened, even if you don't need to go into the full play by at of Breaking Bad.

It also has to you know, point out what happens to Mike. Because he's a main part of the show. The ending of the show, which spans to post BCS, can't just be "watch Breaking Bad to see what happened to Mike in the middle of this show's timeline."

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 10, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I keep thinking 'how are they going to do it?!', but then I think 'well, given that most episodes are around 45 minutes long, you've still got well over 10 full hours of content and storytelling' and that sounds like a massive amount of time for anything, so... yeah, I'm not really concerned anymore.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Annabel Pee posted:

I think the reason they revealed it is to keep the chatter and speculation about that down. The spotlight should be on Saul after all.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

I keep thinking 'how are they going to do it?!', but then I think 'well, given that most episodes are around 45 minutes long, you've still got well over 10 full hours of content and storytelling' and that sounds like a massive amount of time for anything, so... yeah, I'm not really concerned anymore.

Yeah, once they bring them in, we'll be pretty much caught up with Gus and the cartel's plots, pretty much with mike's as well, so they could definitely devote more time to showing Saul's side of his dealings with Walt and Jesse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Whoa.

https://twitter.com/DavePorterMusic/status/1513192639570460675?t=q9x0QxGx53i0Bo6pxMsHkQ&s=19

Just for reference, in case anyone doesn't know, Dave Porter is the composer for Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.

:stare:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You probably want your composer to know what they're composing music for. Especially if you're just going to tell everyone a week before it releases anyway.

crazysim posted:

I think the reason they revealed it is to keep the chatter and speculation about that down. The spotlight should be on Saul after all.
But now people are just speculating about what their involvement will actually look like and when they'll show up. :shrug: They might have created a fireworks factory situation.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I understand why they're doing it and why not, but at the same time, it isn't making me want to watch the final season any more than I do already which is 'decently want to'. Walt and Jesse's stories are thoroughly and completely finished. Even beyond that. El Camino was fine but redundant, and I think their appearances here will be the same.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they are only doing all this because Vince was at some event and offhandedly said something like "why wouldn't you include them" or something along those lines, so now everyone wants clicks for this big scoop.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The nice thing is that if events of this season are running concurrently with Breaking Bad it's very easy to figure out where it falls in the timeline based on Walt's facial hair.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I don't think it'll be the whole season but maybe the back half. Kim and Jimmy will run their scheme on Howard, there'll be fall out and Kim exits the show for a bit while Jimmy goes full Saul, then back half starts and it's concurrent with BB up until probably the last two episodes where we fully catch back up to gene at the phone talking to the cleaner, only this time we see what he saw and what caused him to hang up and say he'd fix it himself-- Kim. They then pull one last con together. Or maybe that part starts the season off since there's always a Gene thing at the start of the season. Anyway that's about how I figure it will go.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Saul will stop to get his car washed. He'll be having a phone conversation while paying. For approximately 3 seconds, Bryan Cranston's full head of hair will appear out-of-focus on the right side of the screen while giving Saul his money back.

Aaron Paul's cameo will be voice-only as Saul gives him advice on his arraignment.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aaron Paul is in his 40s now. I know the show plays things fast and loose with the actor's ages but it'll be jarring seeing him play a 25 year old again.

Jesus, it's been nearly 15 years since this thing started. Almost a god drat decade since Felina. :corsair:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dont worry they have the original actor who played drew sharp filling in for him on set and cover it up with adr and deep fakes

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i wonder if walt will have the bald cap

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i wonder if walt will have the bald cap

Biggest question on my mind too. It looked weird on El Camino

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
They show up during the Gliding Over All time skip during a period when Walt tried growing out his hair again and Jesse looked especially weathered because of the Drew Sharp thing

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

stev posted:

Aaron Paul is in his 40s now. I know the show plays things fast and loose with the actor's ages but it'll be jarring seeing him play a 25 year old again.

Jesus, it's been nearly 15 years since this thing started. Almost a god drat decade since Felina. :corsair:

jesse isn't even supposed to be 25. that's just the age he looks in s1. he's supposed to be 19 for most of the show and maybe 20 by the end of breaking bad. mike even refers to him as a teenager in el camino.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 10, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

roomtone posted:

jesse isn't even supposed to be 25. that's just the age he looks in s1. he's supposed to be 19 for most of the show and maybe 20 by the end of breaking bad. mike even refers to him as a teenager in el camino.

Jesse was born in '84, so he's 25 by the time of Felina / El Camino.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On middle aged teens, I got two words for ya. Luke Perry. It ruled. Season 1-6 of Beverly Hills 90210 are a masterpiece.

Can't wait for BCS season 6, good times ahead. In general Odenkirk can do no wrong. He's so entertaining at all times. I watched a really old Tom Green's house interview with him recently on youtube, good stuff.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Jesse was born in '84, so he's 25 by the time of Felina / El Camino.

looks like this was established in the episode of BB crawl space in s4. they probably decided to put that in at that point since they had made aaron paul look older with his style and jesse grow up a lot by that point. mike does refer to him as a teenage millionaire in el camino, but i suppose this was a perspective thing where to mike, he might as well be a teenager.

fair enough!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

roomtone posted:

El Camino was fine but redundant, and I think their appearances here will be the same.
This isn't the first time I've heard this opinion, but it's always been a bit weird. Like, yes, we didn't "need" El Camino. It didn't bring a whole lot to the Breaking Bad Universe. But it was pretty compelling on its own.

If what's being said is that it wasn't especially compelling I wouldn't argue, but I'll never get the idea that it was "redundant," when the whole thing has always been about the experience.

On the subject of cameos going forward: If you're even going to pretend this show is at all stand-alone, which so far it pretty much has been, you'll at least need a montage to explain how Saul became Gene. Jessie and Walt will need to be in that montage. As above, I don't think it will add anything to Walt's or Jessie's stories, and I don't think it has to. I think expecting it to try isn't all that reasonable. It's going to be something to put us in the right frame of mind to appreciate Gene's story, which is where this all has to end.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

This isn't the first time I've heard this opinion, but it's always been a bit weird. Like, yes, we didn't "need" El Camino. It didn't bring a whole lot to the Breaking Bad Universe. But it was pretty compelling on its own.

If what's being said is that it wasn't especially compelling I wouldn't argue, but I'll never get the idea that it was "redundant," when the whole thing has always been about the experience.

It isn't really about how compelling it was in of itself - like I said, I think it was fine and entertaining to watch, but all of it could be easily extrapolated from the ending of Breaking Bad as it was. We just got an extra two hours to watch what Jesse did immediately after escaping, and in the end, he ends up basically in the position everyone imagined he would be in, starting afresh.

I'm pretty focused on stories knowing how to pace themselves and knowing when to end, which I know not everyone is - so many times I've thought about shows after they finish a season and thought, well, there are 3 unnecessary episodes here, or whatever - and people will respond who cares because it's more of the show. I don't like that because I think it dilutes the actual story and makes the best stuff less impactful because I'm now partly preoccupied with the meandering road to get there. Timewasting and bad storytelling hangs over the good, for me.

So with El Camino, it just felt like it was running on the fumes BB left behind. I didn't think it was necessary to tell that part of the story for Jesse, because they didn't do anything unexpected. If your bar is whether it was entertaining or not, then it works. It had some fun sequences. If you wanted something that was a meaningful or unexpected continuation of Jesse's story, then I don't think it worked. I think it exists because the creators wanted to return to the characters but didn't want to risk loving anything up retroactively, and because Netflix knew people would watch it. Content for the sake of business and the personal wishes of the creators, rather than for the story.

It's TV so every show has stuff like this, even BB repeats itself and has filler episodes, but that's why El Camino was redundant to me, specifically. It filled in some gaps that were better left to live in the imagination.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 11, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
S3 e10 on my rewatch and I just noticed something. Why the hell would Chuck have an electric range and not a gas one? I know he's putting on a show that he's "cured" but would he go the lengths of replacing a gas stove? Maybe there was a scene I missed but I would think a gas oven and probably even a propane grill would be a central part of his domestic setup?

And, man I love Michael Mckean but god drat I hate Chuck and his smug, hateful prick face. My first watch, I had sympathy for him since he's obviously mentally ill but the extent he goes to just for sheer spite makes me want to punch him in the teeth. When Howard gives him his settlement check, you can see how pissed off Chuck is that he doesn't get his chance to inflict whatever he considers revenge to be.

Also, bonus points to the way the cut/directed Kim's car crash, which I thought was masterful

EDIT: I also thought there were interesting parallels between the way Chuck methodically and compulsively tears his loving house apart looking for electricity and the scene where Mike disassembles his car to find the tracking device. And when he flips off all the breakers...doesn't Chuck get hot? They're in NM and he's in there wearing a sweater with no AC running.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 11, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

S3 e10 on my rewatch and I just noticed something. Why the hell would Chuck have an electric range and not a gas one? I know he's putting on a show that he's "cured" but would he go the lengths of replacing a gas stove? Maybe there was a scene I missed but I would think a gas oven and probably even a propane grill would be a central part of his domestic setup?

And, man I love Michael Mckean but god drat I hate Chuck and his smug, hateful prick face. My first watch, I had sympathy for him since he's obviously mentally ill but the extent he goes to just for sheer spite makes me want to punch him in the teeth. When Howard gives him his settlement check, you can see how pissed off Chuck is that he doesn't get his chance to inflict whatever he considers revenge to be.

Also, bonus points to the way the cut/directed Kim's car crash, which I thought was masterful

EDIT: I also thought there were interesting parallels between the way Chuck methodically and compulsively tears his loving house apart looking for electricity and the scene where Mike disassembles his car to find the tracking device. And when he flips off all the breakers...doesn't Chuck get hot? They're in NM and he's in there wearing a sweater with no AC running.

Afaik, New Mexico gets real fuckin cold in the winter. Even I, as an east coast Canadian, was surprised to learn just how cold it can get there. I was all set to react to it like 'pfft, you think that's cold?', but drat, I was shocked. Something like 40° Fahrenheit (4° Celsius, that measuring standard that makes sense), which is juuuuuuust above freezing; that's a normal temp for their winter.

Also, I could have sworn I saw a gas stove in Chuck's place. I remember seeing the fire being lit off the pilot light.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Chuck was insane. Thats the gist of why any of his behaviors or circumstances didn't add up.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

he’s got a pretty robust kitchen, i could see him having one of each and feeling real proud of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Also, I could have sworn I saw a gas stove in Chuck's place. I remember seeing the fire being lit off the pilot light.

It was definitely electric because it stood out to me but like the other guy said maybe he had two because I thought I remembered watching him cook with gas at some point too. But that may have been during the flashback scene with his ex wife.