Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I just use mRemoteNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
actual question: how do you have so many nowadays? i feel like actually sshing into the individual servers is just, less and less common nowadays, so figuring out the usecase im missing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

actual question: how do you have so many nowadays? i feel like actually sshing into the individual servers is just, less and less common nowadays, so figuring out the usecase im missing
this freebsd install has been upgraded since 4.0 until now across four sets of hardware, and i don't remove entries unless the key changes and i can out-of-band-verify that that was intentional
still, after a quick check, more than half look like servers i still log into at least once every year

i'm not sure how it's such a foreign concept to have lots of servers that you access

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rufus Ping posted:

Unsurprisingly it's all rigged up using horrific shell scripts https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Programmable-Completion.html

Poopernickel posted:

It's actually not part of bash. Tab completion scripts are almost always packaged separately and aren't part of Bash at all. Bash knows how to execute an entry script function in response to a tab, and that's it. The rest is all external.

There's a standard bash-completion package on most distros. Systemd's completion scripts are managed separately. They're an optional component when building systemd from source.

:oh:

well, terrible or not under the hood, I still enjoy it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the correct way to implement command completion would be to embed an ELF note in the executable that indicates that it can complete its own commands and then exec the program passing it the arguments and the completion point

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Lady Radia posted:

wait do y'all just memorize every hostname you have to SSH into or the stupidly long chain of commands to connect to random containers in k8s or your local docker cluster??? genuinely confused as to why y'all hate aliases like this

why the gently caress would you need to connect to random containers

the point is that they’re the nth modern reinvention of batch jobs, they have an input and an output and an error log and if something goes wrong you’re either doing development and can attach, or you’re doing forensics so you’re looking at the logs so you can reproduce and attach

if you’re connecting to random containers you’re doing something wrong

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

a command completion system that i can't add things to on the fly because the system is incomprehensible is pointless to me

that's why i love tcsh so much, it just uses regular expressions - so if you find a new command you want to add completions for, it's a tiny bit of effort to add it instead of having to work with some completely bonkers syntax that expects you to be a programmer and possibly work in a third language

I won’t lie, I was elated when Wilfredo managed to make tcsh the default shell on Mac OS X, it was my default until the need for a non-csh shell became overwhelming and I finally gave in and switched to zsh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

but what if they dont use the same private/public keypairs?!?!

I have a bit of stuff in my ~/.ssh/config (which IMO should be the default) telling ssh to look in ~/.ssh/hosts/ for a directory containing keys for the host I’m connecting to and also at my “global” keys

so if I do need host-specific keys, I can just put them in a directory named for the host instead of updating my config—or point to another directory via a symlink, if necessary

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

the correct way to implement command completion would be to embed an ELF note in the executable that indicates that it can complete its own commands and then exec the program passing it the arguments and the completion point

no, it’d be for the executable to have a section that describes the command the executable represents and the arguments and parameters it takes—in both programmatic and human-readable ways—using a consistent and well-defined format

then anything that wants to use the executable can read that metadata to construct its invocation, including interactive user prompts and online help (VMS), and possibly even noise words (TENEX)

do it right and you can even allow syntax to differ based on the human language involved (AppleScript)

with AppleScript you could flip a script from English to Japanese to French using a pop-up menu and it’d Just Work, the only things that wouldn’t change would be your own variable names, string literals, comments, etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for the newbies the trick to distinguishing this thread from the average linux users slapfight is to look for the posts where people unironically express their love for systemd

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i just put the hostnames for the 1-2 things i ssh to frequently into /etc/hosts

for everything else there's "k exec -it"

also i keep one ssh private key per client machine and don't move them between machines

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Why the gently caress are you using ssh when Ansible exists?
code:

$ ansible limit="myhosts*" -a "/sbin/reboot" -f 10

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Why would anyone want to use a csh derivative?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mustache Ride posted:

Why the gently caress are you using ssh when Ansible exists?
code:

$ ansible limit="myhosts*" -a "/sbin/reboot" -f 10

....... Ansible uses ssh..........

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lol linux users are a treasure :allears:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

eschaton posted:

why the gently caress would you need to connect to random containers

the point is that they’re the nth modern reinvention of batch jobs, they have an input and an output and an error log and if something goes wrong you’re either doing development and can attach, or you’re doing forensics so you’re looking at the logs so you can reproduce and attach

if you’re connecting to random containers you’re doing something wrong

well yes, sshing to containers is explicitly because you're debugging something went wrong, that's the whole point????

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

linux, trying to debug network egresses from my container: aw poo poo time to deploy a new image to log out the result of another network connection, if only i could go into the container and test a couple random curls

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i once again petition the mods to move this thread to shsc so we can start a new linux thread which consists entirely of misspellings of names of distros.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i once again petition the mods to move this thread to shsc so we can start a new linux thread which consists entirely of misspellings of names of distros.

no

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Uchintu u piece of poo poo

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
wheres yourrr red hat hat

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

linux, trying to debug network egresses from my container: aw poo poo time to deploy a new image to log out the result of another network connection, if only i could go into the container and test a couple random curls
i thought the devops meme was simply to throw away all errors and restart the instance, because everything boots so quick now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

no

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i thought the devops meme was simply to throw away all errors and restart the instance, because everything boots so quick now

lol i mean. whatever works in prod tbqh.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

lol i mean. whatever works in prod tbqh.
because nobody's ever invented tools for doing debugging in production or anything like that

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

this IS a thing and its also my 24/7 living nightmare. if the containers are throw away then the cloud providers treat the hardware they run on like its throw away too. so there is loads of subtly underperforming hardware out there that customers are likely to end up on.

constantly I’m pulled into issues that tend to center around mild packet loss and lovely application code not taking that into account so minor packet loss turns into multi second long delays in processing requests

im usually paged with “its slow” and by this point people have been restarting containers at random for days before throwing their hands up and escalating.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i think there's something horrifying about the internalized "just always retry your network calls, who KNOWS what can happen" that's become standard

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

yummycheese posted:

this IS a thing and its also my 24/7 living nightmare. if the containers are throw away then the cloud providers treat the hardware they run on like its throw away too. so there is loads of subtly underperforming hardware out there that customers are likely to end up on.

constantly I’m pulled into issues that tend to center around mild packet loss and lovely application code not taking that into account so minor packet loss turns into multi second long delays in processing requests

im usually paged with “its slow” and by this point people have been restarting containers at random for days before throwing their hands up and escalating.
i might've been ever so slightly sarcastic

dtrace has been working on solaris for decades and for freebsd since 2007

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

yea the “who cares, just retry” logic is cool when there might be a thousand containers all with the same bad retry logic code deployed to prod

Then when some service sees a problem it efficiently gets ddos’ed by the fleet because you can just rapidly retry if doesn’t respond immediately right???

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Lady Radia posted:

well yes, sshing to containers is explicitly because you're debugging something went wrong, that's the whole point????

are you .,.. actually sshing to the container? as in it is running ssh?

if you live in a normal world you exec into the container either from the host it’s running on or preferably remotely using kubectl

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my homie dhall posted:

if you live in a normal world you exec into the container either from the host it’s running on or preferably remotely using kubectl

this is some "beep boop i am incapable of nuance or parsing context" level posting lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i did however have a colleague who built a db2 container with sshd set up

(it's just a scratch db for tests and the test automation needs to ssh into the db2 "machine" for a reason i don't know of)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

my homie dhall posted:

carry on then posted:

this is some "beep boop i am incapable of nuance or parsing context" level posting lmao

sorry friend i will be more clear in the future. namaste

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

carry on then posted:

I’m a goon and a yosposter, what do you expect

but also I’ve seen this before on more than one occasion

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

anyway "legacy servers" being the answer to the weird ssh behavior (weird because i don't like it!!!) makes sense.

ive been using mac server (vm) a bit at work to try to get a build machine for our mobile devs going recently, and i have to say it, weirdly enough, makes me miss linux.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

yummycheese posted:

Just build that understanding into your application. You should be able to run it on a potato. Backblaze is good evidence that consumer-grade hardware with redundancy is cheaper than enterprise-grade hardware.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

my homie dhall posted:

I’m a goon and a yosposter, what do you expect

but also I’ve seen this before on more than one occasion

funy containre

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

Just build that understanding into your application. You should be able to run it on a potato. Backblaze is good evidence that consumer-grade hardware with redundancy is cheaper than enterprise-grade hardware.

it is unfortunate that there is no market for reliable hard drives any more. price insensitive users use ssds. price sensitive users throw redundancy at the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Sapozhnik posted:

sorry to hear about your neuro-motor issues but please try to avoid using slurs in the future, namaste

In all sincerity thanks for calling me out on that - I didn't think using that word through here, and am lucky enough to not bare the weight of what it alludes to. I'll do better not to use it in the future.

But yeah, anyways, I try use aliases sparingly because I don't want to end up hard coding them into something I want to share outside of one of my machines, but for system maintenance and such I really prefer some systemd commands to be shortened.