Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Thanks for the discussion everyone lol

I reformatted my question to the following in another thread:

The Demilich posted:

Opinions on speaker combinations in extension cabs, specifically what pairs well sound wise with 2x12" Celestion v30's (I have the Harley Benton G212v).
I play a baritone in A1 standard to give an idea about the range I dabble in. I can and do go lower and do sometimes, and I don't play with a bassist so I'm not worried about stepping on any toes.

I'm looking to increase my cabinets total wattage by adding an additional 8ohm extension cab to bring me up to a minimum of 200watts (I'm currently @ 120 watts with the x2 v30's @ 8ohms).
The reason for this is my amps maximum output is 200 watts, so I want to make sure I won't blow things out when maxing everything.

I'm open to any speaker size btw. I just want opinions on which speakers other players think sound great in tandem with what I have listed above, as I'd like to purchase speakers different from the v30's I currently own. Ideally I'd like to keep the dB sensitivity within +/-2 of 100db, as that is what the v30's are listed at.

Reading through the discussion here, it hit me to give my amp faq a once over and here's what it says:

Quilter posted:

Quilter Tone Block 202 is fully protected and can drive any load, or no load at all.
You can use your amp with a 16 ohm load.
You can use your amp with an 8 ohm load.
You can use your amp with a 4 ohm load.
You can even mix and match for example a 4 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm speaker.
Tone and Master Volume settings will vary somewhat, but it will play fine.

Can I run two cabinets with this head?
Absolutely! The amplifier has two speaker outputs so build your own modular system.
Plug one into the "bottom" speaker jack and one into the top.
Note: On guitar heads, the "4 Ohm" Jack has a special contact that increases the amplifier's output. This allows you to get additional headroom. So when plugging in a single 8 ohm cab plug into the bottom jack. ONLY plug the second cab into the top jack unless you have a single 4 ohm cab, then plug it into the top

So uh, I guess as long as I'm not riding past 4ohms into 2 ohm territory I'm fine and can mix and match as I please?

I really am unsure how to feel about this though. On one hand I'm unsure how this load discrepancy really affects my volume output. Is it drastic? No idea, and I can't personally test it. Moreso though, I'm wondering if throwing caution to the wind will screw me long term, like what if my amp dies and I'm unable to get a replacement that can handle these two different loaded cabs? Makes me feel uneasy having gear potentially being underutilized.

I'm wondering if it might be better to design this new extension cabinet a bit like the G212v wiring wise just so I can maximize my ability to pair both of my cabinets with other amps in the future.

The G212v is two 16 ohm speakers in parallel, so maybe that will be how this new cabinet is wired, with two 16ohm #" speakers in parallel totalling 8 ohms, minimum 100 watts. This leaves the door open for strange combinations and I'm open to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Now that I'm more informed, I feel like I can retool the question a bit.

I'm building an extension cab, and would like speaker opinions.
I'd like the cab to meet the following considerations:
  • Minimum combined wattage: 100 watts
  • Speakers: 2 speakers each at @ 16ohm (open to adjustment as long as it totals 8ohms)
  • Sensitivity: 100 dB (+/-2) (open to debate)
  • Speaker diameter: Open to any diameter
  • Ultimately I want opinions on what speakers will sound sexy with the v30's (each v30 is 60 watts/100db)

Here's where I get in my head and probably need help.

Things to keep in mind: posted:

Remember, your cabinets wattage should equal be double the amps peak wattage output as a safety measure so the speakers don't blow.

When pairing mismatched speakers, keep in mind that the maximum power handling capability of the cabinet is limited to the rating of the lowest wattage speaker.
(note: so you don't add the total wattage of the speakers being used. You double the lowest watt speaker.
Ex: 30-watt speaker + 65-watt speaker = 60 watts (30 watts x 2).]Not 95 watts.)

Don't go over 2x the lower wattage speakers handling capability

Weber speakers were recommended in the other thread and I'm very interested in those given this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6pC6ZzTWj8

Edit:
I realized that you're supposed to double the speaker wattage not be equal to or greater than it, so I'm only 120w out of 400w, not 200w.

So since I'm using two separate cabinets, one of which is capped at 120w, I will need to make up the remaining difference in the other cab I guess.

Maybe a Werewolf 15" @150w & a Black Shuck 12" @200w (both @12ohm wired parallel totaling 300w) would work? 120w+300w=420w.

Weber doesn't list sensitivity or specs on their speakers though, so I've no idea how the v30's would fair in the mix. Think these cabs would work together?

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 13, 2022

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
You're over complicating this. At the same time, when it comes to Quilters and Class D power, it's not the most straightforward either. Someone who has more time and inclination can explain why, but the short version is to not worry so much about wattage matching, as these amps are designed to handle a wide range of conventional speakers. A single 60 Watt Celestion is perfectly usable for a Tone Block 202.

The impedance is much more important.

E: if you want distortion for musical purposes, there's probably many out there who will advocate getting lower wattage speakers. They won't blow, but they'll clip more easily

the tingler fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 13, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I'm not sure what your goals are here. If you just don't want to risk blowing speakers, the easiest solution is to get higher wattage speakers and then never worry about it.

I've never played through a Quilter amp so I'm not super familiar with them but based on videos I'm seeing, they aren't particularly high gain. Are you putting a fuzz or preamp pedal in front of it for extra doom?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

My goals are I want to add more speakers to my mix, and different ones than what I already have.
I also want to make sure I can take full advantage sonically of what I have, as my amp is currently capable of pumping out more power than my cabinet can handle, so that needs to be rectified.

Alterations to my tone come directly from my pedal board. I custom built my board to match the physical layout below:

Only thing out of date from the look of this is the guitar pickups, but basically everything listed here is what I'm working with.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm more of a collector these days than a serious musician (ok I was never a serious musician). Some years back I picked up a white bronco AC15 and the thing has honestly probably been turned on less than 3-5 hours in its life. Finally take down one of my Jacksons just now to try and eke out a few riffs but before I even plug into the amp, its emitting this sort of WoWoWoWoW sorta sound. Reverb is set to 0, so I'm sorta confused here. When I plug in, its the same thing. This raising any alarms for anyone? I never did learn a great deal about amps. The thing is pristine and as I said, has seen little use. Dormancy have something to do with it maybe?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
First port of call would be checking the tubes, likely a preamp valve needs replacing

polar
Nov 3, 2003
I wonder if that is normal on amps with a tube tremolo.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
My ‘69 Super Reverb has a similar issue. It’s probably one of the filter caps.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone here knowledgable about Telefunkens? I'm consideirng a Concertino (101/105/205/305) since I want a nice looking vintage receiver that also receives shortwave. It's not a tube amp, late 60s, early 70s era stuff.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I grew up around them. Honestly if looks are a consideration and perfect fidelity is not, anything that survived 50 years functional is probably gonna keep working extremely adequately. Maybe it'll need new caps but also maybe it already has them. Maybe you'll need an adapter to get a TRS signal but RCAs have been around since the 30s.

That being said this is probably the thread you're looking for:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Just had to post my luck. Just yesterday, both of my amps have decided they need new tubes. I found what I needed from a seller on eBay but dude’s in Ukraine so the shipping might take a while. Does this count as helping the war effort?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

stoopidmunkey posted:

Just had to post my luck. Just yesterday, both of my amps have decided they need new tubes. I found what I needed from a seller on eBay but dude’s in Ukraine so the shipping might take a while. Does this count as helping the war effort?

Get multiples while you can

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I now actively want to sell my Electric Amp MV120 head because I've been out of work for over a year and need the rent money but I'm so burned out on insultingly pushy low-ballers on anything I've tried to sell over the past few years.

"I know you said $2000 firm but would you take $450?" type poo poo. Absolutely sick and tired of it.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
amp prices are insane right now you may be able to get something for it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Catastrophe posted:

I now actively want to sell my Electric Amp MV120 head because I've been out of work for over a year and need the rent money but I'm so burned out on insultingly pushy low-ballers on anything I've tried to sell over the past few years.

"I know you said $2000 firm but would you take $450?" type poo poo. Absolutely sick and tired of it.

To be fair, you can buy a brand new brand name Matamp GT120MV for under $2k USD.

Just take the EL84's out and sell THEM for $2000. With the tube amp panic that's more likely to sell lol

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

The number was just an example

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The amp price increases have been crazy - I bought my DSL40CR for $675 a year ago (retailing for $750), and now they're retailing for $1050.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I’ve been watching Orange Thunderverbs for no good reason because I have one, and the 50 watt seems stable at 1500. Fun amp, but niche.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've always wanted a Thunderverb because doom, and doom alone. Too bad they don't make them any more.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

The amp price increases have been crazy - I bought my DSL40CR for $675 a year ago (retailing for $750), and now they're retailing for $1050.

I have a little DSL 1. The Marshall DSL series is genuinely good stuff. I had a Marshall TSL previously that I just couldn't agree with but the DSLs are *chefskiss*

EDIT: This well known goofy dude agrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMaSIOePZs

e: My choice for live high-gain guitar is still my Engl e530, though. The thing is so dry it's incredible. It's like playing with sound that's like a light switch. On/off/on/off/on/off so unbelievably fast if you're playing fast metal. The 530 is insanely quick. You may not notice it if hearing it but playing it will definitely show off any mistake you make in playing in immediate glory.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 12, 2022

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Catastrophe posted:

I have a little DSL 1. The Marshall DSL series is genuinely good stuff. I had a Marshall TSL previously that I just couldn't agree with but the DSLs are *chefskiss*

EDIT: This well known goofy dude agrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMaSIOePZs

Also gonna go on record to say even within the JCM2000 range the DSL series is generally considered far superior to the TSL series, and the new DSL range is based on the 2000 DSL range.

I've played all three. I'd be happy with either DSL, TSL seemed like a lot of options and none hit home quite as easily as the DSLs, for whatever that is worth. The TSL in no slouch, but honestly had a lot of options I don't think anyone needed.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Also gonna go on record to say even within the JCM2000 range the DSL series is generally considered far superior to the TSL series, and the new DSL range is based on the 2000 DSL range.

I've played all three. I'd be happy with either DSL, TSL seemed like a lot of options and none hit home quite as easily as the DSLs, for whatever that is worth. The TSL in no slouch, but honestly had a lot of options I don't think anyone needed.

Yeah, that's how I ended up with amps like my Electric where it just has a few knobs and then GO! This is my old TSL combo. I didn't like that it sounded too good. Does that make sense? Like I wanted something that wasn't so smooth and had more snarl. Soooooo.... I ended up with an early Peavey 5150. I want to go on record right away to state that I should be punched in the face for how I eventually sold that amp.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:frogon:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Back when DSLs were becoming truly ubiquitous my old buds and I took our guitars into a Loud Lounge with one. It blew us all away, one after another. It had all the gain we could use, a decent clean sound, great break-up tone, and it was amazingly quiet. We all wanted to take it home.

We spent the rest of the visit trying to get a single tone out of the TSL and we gave up.

And best of all, the magic only lasted that one visit. Went back to play the DSL again another day and it was good. Just good.

I won't try to explain it. Apparently after that DSLs took over to the extent that backlash started against them? If I'd bought one, that woulda bummed me out.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The problem with the 2000 DSLs is that some runs had thin circuit boards that could short and catch fire.

The problem with TSLs is they cost a lot more but weren't a lot more satisfying for most people. If someone gave me a TSL head I would never complain.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the guitar thread because I forgot there was an amp thread.

I’m looking to probably get a Helix some time in the future. However I currently have an Orange AD15. I live in an apartment so it’s gotta be all headphones.

Is there any way I can get the Orange into the mix with the Helix? Obviously I could put the Helix in front but then I couldn’t use the amp/cab sims, it would just be an effects board.

A bit of reading led me to believe that you need an amp with an effects loop to do the 4 cable method.

TLDR: will the AD15 and Helix ever play nice together if I have to use headphones. Or is it one or the other?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A load box such as the two notes line that has an output at line level, send that into the helix.

The thing about that setup is if youre using the AD15 with the helix then the helix effects become redundant anyway surely? and if you really need to record at headphone level I would just use the helix entirely without the amp.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 29, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

massive spider posted:

A load box such as the two notes line that has an output at line level, send that into the helix.

The thing about that setup is if youre using the AD15 with the helix then the helix effects become redundant anyway surely? and if you really need to record at headphone level I would just use the helix entirely without the amp.

I don’t need to record, just play along to stuff. Yeah figured just using the Helix is the easiest option would just be nice to incorporate my AD15 if possible without swapping cables etc.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If you have the helix set up right you wouldn't really need to swap cables. Just have the AD15(+loadbox) in one of its loop and then separate patches for different things that bring into the loop or exclude it.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I've always wanted a Thunderverb because doom, and doom alone. Too bad they don't make them any more.
I ran two Thunderverb 200s on bass for about a month lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAL_14qLOas

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

dumb question - can I damage an amplifier by playing a eurorack level signal into it? I can't think of why (like its just gonna distort, right?) but I'd rather ask first than finding out this is the secret to releasing the magic smoke

its a 90s fender solid state combo if that matters for some reason

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

JamesKPolk posted:

dumb question - can I damage an amplifier by playing a eurorack level signal into it? I can't think of why (like its just gonna distort, right?) but I'd rather ask first than finding out this is the secret to releasing the magic smoke

its a 90s fender solid state combo if that matters for some reason

Does it have an FX loop? Most of those 90s fenders have line level FX loops so it should work fine in there.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

It does... but its a Princeton Chorus so sticking things in the stereo loop is half of what I'm after. I mean I have converters/DI poo poo to get it to reasonable levels, but I kinda like solid state distortion on synths, so I'm wondering.... what if I didn't?

I guess the return is still gonna get me the spring and chorus, maybe that's enough.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You aren't going to damage anything putting an audio signal into it, no. The amount of signal you'd have to put into it to damage it is not audio but power.

If your eurorack is outputting a signal hot enough to power home electronics I'd be more cautious of that.

It might just sound like poo poo. Or it'll be fine. Impedence matching etc etc but also older amps had multiple inputs that were just different impedences/signal level inputs. People would often plug into whatever for tonal reasons.

See old amps with a Mic and Instrument input and you can just plug the guitar into the mic in for a different sound.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Soldano SLO mini... lookin mighty tasty...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

muike posted:

Soldano SLO mini... lookin mighty tasty...

The Friedman mini is great, I bet the SLO mini is mighty fine. I've been thinking about how to justify it, where I could get a little cab for it, and where to put it but have not yet sold myself on it, especially having just got the 5150 Iconic 40W.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Agreed posted:

The Friedman mini is great, I bet the SLO mini is mighty fine. I've been thinking about how to justify it, where I could get a little cab for it, and where to put it but have not yet sold myself on it, especially having just got the 5150 Iconic 40W.

All the mini heads Boutique Amps Distribution did are based on the same power amp architecture and they all sound awesome. If you like the Friedman or the SLO but want something with a different flavor of aggressive the Diezel and Bogner rip as well.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

I kinda want all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've never played a Soldano irl but I can confirm this mini one is one of the gnarliest sounding high gain solid state amps I've ever used. It definitely likes some guitars more than others though, my lower tuned guitars sounded best