Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eeepies posted:

I like watching trash isekais, and skeleton hero is fine for me.
Shield hero was at least two steps beyond what i could tolerate watching.

Skeleton Knight is generally on the right side of things, though I am honestly pretty loving angry about that cold open even after being warned about it. Shield Hero I just couldn't finish, even to see how much worse it might get, because it just kept piling up stuff that made me uncomfortable until I dropped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I do appreciate they're actually explaining game mechanics instead of letting you figure out for yourself like with the first anime but 1.5 eps of setup before your first duel feels like a lot for this type of show.

In the long run an extra ep of buildup probably won't feel that slow in a 50 ep card game anime but I like cards and i've barely seen any yet. :colbert:

light dramatically trying to play a card that he didn't have any resources for got a cackle out of me. the non-card stuff has felt very good, so ive been happy with the pacing except for when i realized ep 2 was ending just before we could have gotten some evos involved

but yeah, im excited because it at least looks like they're going to include different archetypes this season (I don't think they had any dirt rune decks show up for S1)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nemo2342 posted:

Skeleton Knight is generally on the right side of things, though I am honestly pretty loving angry about that cold open even after being warned about it.
Getting warned about it then going 0-100 immediately after was loving trash.

"Oh a warning. Yeah I think someone sai--OHH WTFFF"

And, if course, the "let's revisit from another POV" thing.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

FilthyImp posted:

Getting warned about it then going 0-100 immediately after was loving trash.

"Oh a warning. Yeah I think someone sai--OHH WTFFF"

And, if course, the "let's revisit from another POV" thing.

They really didn't need to show that twice. Hope that's the end of it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

First episode of Kono Healer, Mendokusai was good, so if you somehow still don't have enough comedy anime this season, give this one a try as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

shikimori's not just a cutie: the central two are very cute together, and i like that shikimori is allowed to be both 'badass' and a dork. the male lead is a little bit paper thin to start beyond his affection for shikimori. the two competitive friends (that probably like each other) could be a fun dynamic. i'm a bit disappointed by the production, it's pretty basic, the character designs are ok but the coloring and linework are a bit too soft, and it feels like the 'badass' moments are not being sold very well, either by staging or the quality of the layouts. the direction's pretty gentle (it's the same director as My Senpai is Annoying) and maybe that's playing into why the "she's so cool!" moments are not working for me. i'm a bit mixed on this so far just because I think it's cute, but it's not funny. i'm not ultimately sure if this is the right team for this, if that makes any sense. but i know nothing about the manga. the ED would make a great Rhythm Heaven stage - C+

love after world domination: almost in bold contrast to the previous, here we have very hard edged black inkwork all over. the quality of the animation is all over the place. there are moments of dynamic action but a lot of the cinematography feels pretty weak for a sentai parody. the fights are not really well staged and some of the titillating staging gets in the way of comprehensible narrative flow. it's not like a deal breaker or anything, it's just not the strong suit. there were a couple of off model drawings (even in the OP) that felt almost hand shakers quality, lol. but the main duo are what really matter here and... they're ok? in a rarity, the male lead is more interesting than the female lead, at least in this first episode. his intensity and hotbloodedness carry through to his romance which makes him a fun foil. desumi feels kind of like a less fun version of shikimori-san which... i would have expected the opposite given the more exaggerated nature of this show. also... i'm not sure about the overall gimmick of the show. it already felt a bit repetitive near the end of the first episode. i'm gonna need another episode to see if they settle into a formula or not. i do like that they have so little knowledge of relationships that they are resorting to online guides to know how to date, i think that's a cute quirk and honestly more fun than the 'threes company but punching' angle. - C+

healer girl: man this season is weird! the shows i expect to have rapid-fire pacing are languid, and the expected iyashikei anime is super uptempo with lots of quick cuts and very little space between lines of dialog. this show is also a musical, which rules, and they're having fun with it. characters ask each other their motivation and answer in extremely short songs (except for the blonde girl who has a whole rock opera). of course the MC has a "i was healed when I was a child!" backstory, and there's some good ol' 'senpai noticed me' yuribaiting. honestly though, not at all what i was expecting, in a 'pleasantly surprised' way (also directed by the FMA: Brotherhood director which is, interesting??). but still, why does it feel like every show is being accidentally sent to the wrong people? like a bunch of production heads all had matching suitcases with pitches in them, and each picked up a different person's suitcase when they left the room. - B-

deaimon: probably the first comedy i've watched today whose comic beats are actually hitting. seeing a shop owner entrust the future of his shop to a 10 year old feels less unrealistic after I watched a bunch of Old Enough episodes on Netflix. also, the first show that i've seen this season (at least so far) where the people making the show feel like the right fit. it does feel like it's gonna be a bit more barakamon than sweetness & lightning. we've got a dipshit slacker learning how to dad, and a kid forced to grow up too fast having to deal with his bullshit, and both have emotional baggage. Really nice backgrounds, well-illustrated confections, has that pleasant white highlighting and strong linework that reminds me of 2010s anime. It's got a good amount of comedy, drama and healing vibes, and after the last three shows... this had the look, the feel, and the execution of a legit, quality show. Kind of makes me want to dock my previous grades a little haha. - A-

heroines run the show: well... we're kind of back to the "weird art/budget" shows again. a shoujo about a spunky country bumpkin having to deal with two lovely pretty boys that hate each other... that's been a winning formula in the past. i like the character design of the MC, but the art is just so inconsistent!! other reviews i saw said this production was 'lush' but i didn't really come away with that impression at all. i know a lot of anime later clean-up wonky art on bluray releases, but the amount of art that's barely holding together this season across the shows I've seen is wild; the industry-wide lovely conditions for artists must really be having an impact. (also i saw shimmering on one drawing during a pan that makes me think this is a Flash production, and an older version of Flash at that haha) OK that's enough of that. I'm sure the average person is like "I don't even notice, who cares", it's just really sticking out to me this season, especially when a character is drawn outside of the conventional profile, 3/4 or front perspectives. let's talk the actual show. i think i need 3 episodes to know if this show's actually gonna be good. I can get on board with this protagonist, who is a little brash, messy and honest. and i appreciate that we already got to see some of the friend group that you usually have to wait until episode 3-4 of a shoujo to get introduced to. the downside to that is that we don't get to see enough of the dynamic between the main characters, since Hiyori doesn't end up getting the manager job until the final scene of the episode. a lot of the episode is dedicated to her culture shock coming to the big city, meeting new people, establishing her ambitions, and then just a couple of actual run-ins with the LIPxLIP idols. can't really give a fair grade on this yet, it's a work in progress for sure - C-

birdie wing: i knew this was gonna be fun from the onset and it wastes no time. only 5 minutes in and what seems like the main match of the episode is already set up. the main character intentionally has her caddy tee-off weakly just as a power move, and with one Golgo 13 esque sniper shot of the driver, Eve pulls off some happy gilmore ricochet poo poo and has won. it's only 9 minutes in. visually this is a step up from some of the other premieres. there are still some occasional odd/rushed drawings but for the most part, we've at least got animation where I wasn't constantly distracted by/focused on it. Two legit laughs, the intense zoom into the musculature and then blood cells of Eve, and the ultimate wager of the second match. This'll be a fun ride. - B

spy x family: anya is precious. the character dynamic between 'loid' and anya is already great, i'm curious to see how assassin wife will factor in in the next episode. this being cloverworks, i finally got some good fuckin food visually. I do think some of the (visual) comic timing could be better, but the writing is sharp and the character expressions/acting are great. a lot of better words will be said about this by other people. it's a good show. my roommate dared called this "anime despicable me" and they are now cancelled. - A

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Otome Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu episode 2
That school setting is extremely similiar to Bakarina.
Is there a specific otome game these stories are referencing, or is this another instance of web novel authors all copying each other's ideas until they're all writing about a game that never existed?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tamba posted:

Is there a specific otome game these stories are referencing, or is this another instance of web novel authors all copying each other's ideas until they're all writing about a game that never existed?

I haven't seen this one, but I read that part of the concept here, at least in the LN version, is that it's not a typical otome game, but rather an otome game designed by a company that mostly makes other kinds of games, and thus doesn't quite "get" how otome games are supposed to work.

But IIRC, there is a specific older otome game that a lot of these LNs are based on to a degree. I don't remember what it's called, though.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think Angelique is the OG otome game series that a lot of this stuff riffs on

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

shikimori's not just a cutie: the central two are very cute together, and i like that shikimori is allowed to be both 'badass' and a dork. the male lead is a little bit paper thin to start beyond his affection for shikimori. the two competitive friends (that probably like each other) could be a fun dynamic. i'm a bit disappointed by the production, it's pretty basic, the character designs are ok but the coloring and linework are a bit too soft, and it feels like the 'badass' moments are not being sold very well, either by staging or the quality of the layouts. the direction's pretty gentle (it's the same director as My Senpai is Annoying) and maybe that's playing into why the "she's so cool!" moments are not working for me. i'm a bit mixed on this so far just because I think it's cute, but it's not funny. i'm not ultimately sure if this is the right team for this, if that makes any sense. but i know nothing about the manga. the ED would make a great Rhythm Heaven stage - C+

love after world domination: almost in bold contrast to the previous, here we have very hard edged black inkwork all over. the quality of the animation is all over the place. there are moments of dynamic action but a lot of the cinematography feels pretty weak for a sentai parody. the fights are not really well staged and some of the titillating staging gets in the way of comprehensible narrative flow. it's not like a deal breaker or anything, it's just not the strong suit. there were a couple of off model drawings (even in the OP) that felt almost hand shakers quality, lol. but the main duo are what really matter here and... they're ok? in a rarity, the male lead is more interesting than the female lead, at least in this first episode. his intensity and hotbloodedness carry through to his romance which makes him a fun foil. desumi feels kind of like a less fun version of shikimori-san which... i would have expected the opposite given the more exaggerated nature of this show. also... i'm not sure about the overall gimmick of the show. it already felt a bit repetitive near the end of the first episode. i'm gonna need another episode to see if they settle into a formula or not. i do like that they have so little knowledge of relationships that they are resorting to online guides to know how to date, i think that's a cute quirk and honestly more fun than the 'threes company but punching' angle. - C+

From the manga, I think I dropped the first one because it felt like the conceit just ran itself into the ground so I hope the friends and other cast help shore it up. The second one has a much bigger and more diverse extended cast and each lead has their own circle of people to interact with that keeps things going and interesting.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tamba posted:

it's, an incredibly popular game. it just never got an english translation so it's unknown over here

it especially explains all the villainess manga cause the villainess of angelique was herself a popular enough character for later entries to flesh her out and make her a playable character with her own mode, iirc

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The couple stuff in Shikimori is cute, but everything else feels kinda bland. It's only the first episode so I'll stick with it and see if it gets any better. Agreed on the ED making a great Rhythm Heaven stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vralhT8x3I

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I do follow the manga so maybe I'm biased knowing how it goes later but I did enjoy Shikimori-san. Agreed that the ED is very cool though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Part 2 of the 4-head trilogy (In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki) seems alright. I'll keep on watching it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

light dramatically trying to play a card that he didn't have any resources for got a cackle out of me. the non-card stuff has felt very good, so ive been happy with the pacing except for when i realized ep 2 was ending just before we could have gotten some evos involved

but yeah, im excited because it at least looks like they're going to include different archetypes this season (I don't think they had any dirt rune decks show up for S1)

Dirt rune was what the magician guy played no?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he did but also he looks like a background character except for having a fancy coat

marumaru
May 20, 2013

first episode of shokei shoujo was very promising. i did not see that coming.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally watched Birdie Wing, this is everything I ever wanted from a golf anime. Hope it keeps this up.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

I did lol at the idea that a kid who's entire life is dedicated to football wouldn't recognise a guy who played in a top European league and for the Japanese national team 10 years ago, like shinji kagawa just turns up on the beach to no reaction

Haven't properly got into a footy anime since giant killing so will give this one a bash

I think they had the brother give a toss up line saying that he was too young to remember him or something but that was still lol.

There haven't been really any good footy anime since Giant Killing. Ao Ashi is probably the best ongoing footy manga ongoing right now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Shokei Shoujo is great, when I read the description I thought it would be more of a comedic parody but it's actually much closer to Madoka in tone. I like how the main character is basically Ryougi Shiki from Tsukihime. The setting/world building is really fantastic.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm going to beat online discussion into calling it Executioner

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I want to check out Summer Time Render when it comes out because I'm always on the lookout for a good mystery anime and this seems like it will skew in that direction. Other than that all the stuff I was interested in has come out so heres some thoughts:

Ya boy Kongming! - As everyone has said this is really fun. It's not afraid of how goofy the premise is and promises to be an unapologetic good time. The music sections are pretty good, I like the reference to The Three Kingdoms and the OP slaps hard.

Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road - A promising first 2 episodes. The premise is very strong, a world where Isekai protagonists show up constantly and cause disasters when their obligatory OP Isekai power goes out of control. It's a fun twist on the formula and I loved the flashback sequence. The production looks solid too. Episode 2 felt weaker due to being a set-up episode and they're laying it on really thick with the connection of the 2 leads but overall looking forward to more. Also it's yuri so yah.

Machikado Mazoku S2 - Man, I don't know if it was me but I just could not get into this for some reason. The pacing just felt off and none of the jokes landed for me. I really loved the first season so I don't know if there's a difference or my tastes have just changed since then but I might end up dropping it if my impression stays in the next episodes.

Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi - Unfortunately another miss. It seems like it's a reverse yuri anime where the main character is struggling to accept her forbidden straight feelings. I like regular yuri so I have no interest in this.

Kaguya-sama S3 - Surprise, the third season of the great show that everyone knows is great is still great.

Spy X Family - A very solid first episode, but I thought that it needed a bit more energy. I remember the manga being more dynamic and downright goofy at times with the humor. I felt the same about Komi-san tbh, in terms of production quality it's very impressive but it just lacks a bit of charm. Sometimes shows can be too polished, you know? It didn't help that there's a lot of scenes without any background music or where its very quiet, making them feel flat. I must be unsatisfied if I'm complaining this much but it was still good and the material is excellent so I'll definitely keep watching.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 10, 2022

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Dirt rune was what the magician guy played no?

I completely forgot the existence of that brother

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Kaguya-sama - Its like these wonderful idiots never left.

Spy x Family - Episode 1 was very good but a bit sparse at times, I assume things are going to pick up once the "mother" shows up. I'm a huge fan of Cold War spy lit so my biggest laugh came early from the name "Berlint". Its so lazy it's wonderful.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In Otome mob I kinda like the plot seems to be sticking to keeping our MC as an outsider looking in who only partakes in some light meddling to the extent it's like we and the MC are watching a stage play. It's oddly interesting especially given that the "plot"/timeline of the actual otome game is a little off. The art style is kinda overdone/uncanny which is unfortunate, in general I feel like the premise has potential to have had a more serious spin that I would've liked to have seen.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raenir Salazar posted:

In Otome mob I kinda like the plot seems to be sticking to keeping our MC as an outsider looking in who only partakes in some light meddling to the extent it's like we and the MC are watching a stage play. It's oddly interesting especially given that the "plot"/timeline of the actual otome game is a little off. The art style is kinda overdone/uncanny which is unfortunate, in general I feel like the premise has potential to have had a more serious spin that I would've liked to have seen.

For some reason I get the feeling that the new girl is going to end up being the MC's sister through some contrived explanation of her also isekaing in.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Strange Quark posted:

Personally I only watch bad anime (mha s4) when I get baited by the concept of something I like being in it (the dad/twink ship) that then ends up having a total of maybe ten minutes of screen time in the anime (thanks dogsicle)

ah, the so-called "BL stream effect"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Huh. I like that there's at least two shows this season with canonically gay main characters.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

kirtar posted:

For some reason I get the feeling that the new girl is going to end up being the MC's sister through some contrived explanation of her also isekaing in.

Yeah looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
From what i remember of the manga version which I read bits of a long time ago, Otome mob's protag-kun gets increasingly dragged into the main plot of the game despite wanting to stick to being Background NPC #72.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Spoilers? Like I get that maybe that doesn't feel like a spoiler but it kinda is?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 11, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's the basic premise of the story and also completely obvious.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nephthys posted:

Machikado Mazoku S2 - Man, I don't know if it was me but I just could not get into this for some reason. The pacing just felt off and none of the jokes landed for me. I really loved the first season so I don't know if there's a difference or my tastes have just changed since then but I might end up dropping it if my impression stays in the next episodes.

They crammed in more chapters than they usually do. I'd give it the three episode test to see if they calm down the pacing.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rudoku posted:

They really didn't need to show that twice. Hope that's the end of it.

Yeah, there was absolutely 0 reason to put it in as the cold open just to give the MC a one-liner before they cut to the OP. The 2nd time at least is used to help define the MC's character, though I thought it was a pretty lovely way to do it even in the LN.

The 7th Guest posted:

A lot of the sentai stuff is actually anime-original; the manga just kind of assumes you know how sentai stuff works and omits it. The real focus tends to be on the interaction between the main couple and their respective circles, especially Desumi's coworkers.

Tamba posted:

First episode of Kono Healer, Mendokusai was good, so if you somehow still don't have enough comedy anime this season, give this one a try as well.

It was so dumb in all the best ways. So far I'm enjoying the way they're expanding the source material.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's the basic premise of the story and also completely obvious.

I mean no, not from the synopsis on myanimelist anyways:

quote:

Office worker Leon is reincarnated into a particularly punishing dating sim video game, where women reign supreme and only beautiful men have a seat at the table. But Leon has a secret weapon: he remembers everything from his past life, which includes a complete playthrough of the very game in which he is now trapped. Watch Leon spark a revolution to change this new world in order to fulfill his ultimate desire... of living a quiet, easy life in the countryside!

It's certainly not billed as it's premise; I suppose the plot as described up thread is inferable because that's how these stories usually go, but that's relying on pre-existing knowledge of tropes; that a plot element is predictable doesn't mean it's not a spoiler to call attention to it; especially if ones post includes the phrase, "If I remember from the manga correctly" that just seemed ill-advised about any currently airing show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hmm, this guy is going to spark a revolution to change the world? well i guess it won't involve interacting with the game plot at all

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I wonder how some people get through the OPs and EDs of shows without getting tetchy about spoilers. Because everything I said was obvious just from looking at the end credits sequence. Yeah I mentioned I read some of the manga but I only vaguely recall what happens and didn't give any specifics beyond "the protagonist interacts with the plot of the game he's in", which isn't a spoiler, it's a description of how a story works.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 11, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

dogsicle posted:

hmm, this guy is going to spark a revolution to change the world? well i guess it won't involve interacting with the game plot at all

The full sentence starts with that as setup in order to execute its joke. It's priming the reader's expectations in order to subvert them, doing so by ending with "of living a quiet, easy life in the countryside!" Yes, We can imagine and infer that yes obviously the game's plot will feature in the plot of the anime, I'd agree that's a given; but we don't actually know in what ways, how it does so, especially from just the synopsis; it could've gone any number of ways. We have several different examples of how it can do so; Katarina and Eliza which share similar DNA take very different approaches in how they interact with the plot of the "game".

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I wonder how some people get through the OPs and EDs of shows without getting tetchy about spoilers. Because everything I said was obvious just from looking at the end credits sequence. Yeah I mentioned I read some of the manga but I only vaguely recall what happens and didn't give any specifics beyond "the protagonist interacts with the plot of the game he's in", which isn't a spoiler, it's a description of how a story works.

I mean you're kinda assuming a lot here, namely not everyone really fully pays attention to the OP/ED, especially for a lower budget show like this one. I don't think it's fair to say that what you wrote was just "protagonist interacts with the plot of the game", because as I wrote above, we don't know to what extent he does get involved. We can guess or make assumptions but still my initial reply was also pretty milktoast in all honesty; I never said or acted like it's a huge deal or anything, I only expressed that it's kinda a spoiler because you're confirming the direction the show is going.

What's done is done and that's my 2 cents.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

im going to be honest and say my eyes glazed over most of your post but

"I mean you're kinda assuming a lot here, namely not everyone really fully pays attention to the OP/ED, especially for a lower budget show like this one."

is very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i think it's a very basic ask of people to watch the thing they want to discuss

im more used to people taking Discourse Screencaps from twitter and springboarding from that though so props for a new angle at least