Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That could be it too; I spent way too much time levelling this 60" Vari and in the end I stopped noticing the shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stock stands tend to be designed to stop before the bottom of the monitor will hit the the top of the stand, so I have to imagine that the M32U stand will be a very poor fit for a 27" monitor in this situation. I'd try out one of the many stands on amazon first, tbh.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Stock stands tend to be designed to stop before the bottom of the monitor will hit the the top of the stand, so I have to imagine that the M32U stand will be a very poor fit for a 27" monitor in this situation. I'd try out one of the many stands on amazon first, tbh.

Yeah that's an extremely good point I hadn't thought about.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

Not a monitor but some people here may be interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC4RO7z9XaA

Already have a cum monitor thanks tho

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

I'm looking for a cheap external monitor for my laptop. 1080p is fine, 27 inches would be good but I'd take less if it was cheap enough, and something higher than 60hz would also be good. VESA mount would really be the biggest thing, because I want to get a stand on my desk and have it right at the back above my laptop.

There are ex-business monitors on ebay which take hdmi converters for like £50 and I might just go for that because this would mainly be for doing things like audio work and game dev on, not really gaming or watching movies - I'll probably get a TV for those things.

Is there a good REALLY cheap option that I should be looking for or should I just go for one of these cheap ebay sellers and take what I can get.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

roomtone posted:

I'm looking for a cheap external monitor for my laptop. 1080p is fine, 27 inches would be good but I'd take less if it was cheap enough, and something higher than 60hz would also be good. VESA mount would really be the biggest thing, because I want to get a stand on my desk and have it right at the back above my laptop.

There are ex-business monitors on ebay which take hdmi converters for like £50 and I might just go for that because this would mainly be for doing things like audio work and game dev on, not really gaming or watching movies - I'll probably get a TV for those things.

Is there a good REALLY cheap option that I should be looking for or should I just go for one of these cheap ebay sellers and take what I can get.

i mean £50 is hard to beat….

there appears to be a uk dell refurb store but the monitor section requires chatting with someone which seems sketch

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

i know the £50 is about as cheap as I'll find but I'd pay more for something with a VESA mount which these won't have.

I just don't want to pay £200+ for a monitor when I would rather do my gaming and movie watching on the couch with a TV which costs similar anyway.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I had higher expectations of the Alienware QD-OLED so all the technical downsides plus the appearance just make me want to buy the LG C2 instead. It even has HDMI 2.1 and GSync/Free sync.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

roomtone posted:

i know the £50 is about as cheap as I'll find but I'd pay more for something with a VESA mount which these won't have.

I just don't want to pay £200+ for a monitor when I would rather do my gaming and movie watching on the couch with a TV which costs similar anyway.

I bought an Acer CB272U to be an external monitor for my work laptop last year, and I think it was under $150 new when I got it, and I've been pretty happy with it. 27" screen at 1440p, 75hz refresh rate, freesync capable, with one DP and two HDMI ports. It's served me well, and is the one I take with me if I am housesitting or something for any period of time. With freesync it handles games pretty well, and while it isn't as nice as my main computer's 144hz monitor I find that 75hz feels more comfortable than 60hz, and the display quality on my cheaper Acer is perfectly acceptable.

And, nevermind. I just did a quick search and the price on that monitor appears to have gone inexplicably high for what it is, and Amazon UK had it listed for an absurd amount. Sorry about that. I'll go ahead and post this anyway as the general specs might be helpful as a reference point, even if the pricing has gone nutty.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp, looks like I’m keeping all 3 monitors

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Josh Lyman posted:

Looks good, it's similar to my setup but I put a few more monitors I don't need to look at so often on a row above as well. It's nice that 27" IPS monitors are about 2 feet wide so a 60"+ desk will handle them with a little bit of overhang on the sides or just angling the side ones.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Looks good, it's similar to my setup but I put a few more monitors I don't need to look at so often on a row above as well. It's nice that 27" IPS monitors are about 2 feet wide so a 60"+ desk will handle them with a little bit of overhang on the sides or just angling the side ones.
Ya it's definitely at the limit of what fits on my 63" desk but I think it's fine. I couldn't decide which of 2 monitors to return for backlight bleed/IPS glow, but the BLB/glow doesn't really appear unless I have a black desktop wallpaper, and $250 to keep the 3rd monitor seemed worth it. Amazon sent it when I requested a replacement, but since I'm not going to return it, it'll be interesting to see whether they charge me the $235 purchase price or the current $250 price.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

This is the one true monitor setup and I will never ditch it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I am a proud monitor monogamist. One monitor for life.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have four at my desk, but because I have two machines at my desk and one of them is permanently attached to the second machine, and I like to have a lot of open windows for development.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Shumagorath posted:

This is the one true monitor setup and I will never ditch it.

I've tried this setup and the other two monitors are just too far out of my field of view for my taste. I've got a three monitor setup now with two 27 inch monitors on a single dual mount, and a third 38 inch ultrawide above them.

On that note, I am looking for a 4k hdr monitor for media consumption, so streaming services, youtube, twitch, and some browsing and so on. I've already got a good gaming monitor but my other monitor is two dvi and one display port old. Plus a non-standard vesa mount placement making it either too high or too low next to my other monitor.

There are so many choices out there right now, does anyone have any advice on what would be good in the less than $900 dollar range?

Edit:

My gaming monitor is a 27" ASUS ROGPG279, with thin bezels. Looking for a similar sized bezel.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 11, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I am a proud monitor monogamist. One monitor for life.

You know that's not natural right? Our brains didn't evolve to have just one monitor, we're wired for polymonitor lifestyles.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

You know that's not natural right? Our brains didn't evolve to have just one monitor, we're wired for polymonitor lifestyles.

You have to look at the level of monitor dimorphism to really estimate the expected ratio.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If color accuracy is important you might want to take a look at the Asus ProArt lineup. I own a 24-inch 1920x1200 as my second monitor (for working on images, reading comics, etc) and love it. They're super accurate and reasonably priced. This model is 4K, 32 inches, and USB-C. I'm not sure if it would power your Mac or not, though, so you might need to do a bit of research.

They also have a few 27-inch models which might be worth looking at. Three feet seems like an in-between viewing distance where either size might work, but I'm sure other people here have more experience with both and can comment.

Ended up grabbing the 1440p version of what you posted. Kind of sad I couldn't find one used but it wasn't too much more than what people were asking from Amazon. Thanks!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

VelociBacon posted:

Spoken like the monitor fuckboy that you are.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it normal for an IPS screen to have weaker brightness in some areas? My LG 34GN850 (ultrawide) is somewhat darker in the top + bottom 1-2 centimeters, especially in the middle. It's apparent on whites. I've had it for a few months and was on the fence about returning it from day 1... It's not a massive difference.. but noticable.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 12, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Screen uniformity issues are not too uncommon, though usually it's only slight and barely noticeable. If you're noticing it regularly and it's bothering you, then I'd return it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

space time is prolly my fav youtube

nice setup but three is def too many for me personally, i have a difficult enough time keeping track of two as useful as they are

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My office standardized on the Lenovo P44w-10 (43" 3840x1200, 32:10 ultrawide, 144Hz, 1800R curve). It seems discontinued / unavailable anywhere.

I couldn't find a newer version--is there a go-to 3840x1200 (or 32:10 if everyone's doing higher-res) replacement?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hed posted:

My office standardized on the Lenovo P44w-10 (43" 3840x1200, 32:10 ultrawide, 144Hz, 1800R curve). It seems discontinued / unavailable anywhere.

I couldn't find a newer version--is there a go-to 3840x1200 (or 32:10 if everyone's doing higher-res) replacement?

lg and others have a number of 3840x1600 (21:9 ish) out there if that would work

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Space Time owns and all the goons should watch it on their respective fancy monitors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Space Time owns and all the goons should watch it on their respective fancy monitors.

This is the monitor thread, so what's your dot pitch for this show?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got an old 27" 1080p 120hz 3dvision monitor that I keep around for the infrequent ps3 3d bluray, and I'm getting sorely tempted to mount it in portrait mode to complement my pair of 27" 1440p displays. I've got a big desk but I think that might be too much...

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

lg and others have a number of 3840x1600 (21:9 ish) out there if that would work

Thanks! While the color and resolution (and TB4 hub) part of the big daddy LG looked great, the brightness (300 nits vs 380 on the incumbent) was already less than the current Lenovo ones which scared me off since our offices are so bright. So I ordered the Lenovo Y44w-10 which despite the gamer branding seems identical in specs to the P44w-10.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Hed posted:

So I ordered the Lenovo Y44w-10 which despite the gamer branding seems identical in specs to the P44w-10.

Yeah they are the same outside of the stand and accent colors. Though they should've gone EOL at the same time. Where'd you find a Y44w?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm considering getting an LG C1 as my living room TV/monitor; I'm a big Steam Link user so it'll be spending a lot of time on static images, web browser windows in certain places and so on, definitely very conducive to possible burn-in; as a percentage of time under use it's going to be static browser windows much more than games or movies. I've seen conflicting info on how big a problem this can be is for the C1. Any thoughts on that? I've also seen that purchasing from Best Buy might be a good idea because of more generous warranty replacement terms for this issue, is that still the case?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mozi posted:

I'm considering getting an LG C1 as my living room TV/monitor; I'm a big Steam Link user so it'll be spending a lot of time on static images, web browser windows in certain places and so on, definitely very conducive to possible burn-in; as a percentage of time under use it's going to be static browser windows much more than games or movies. I've seen conflicting info on how big a problem this can be is for the C1. Any thoughts on that? I've also seen that purchasing from Best Buy might be a good idea because of more generous warranty replacement terms for this issue, is that still the case?

The burn in for desktop use does appear to be real, especially if the primary use is static browser windows. Both Linus and Wendell reported some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWrFEU_605g

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's my concern. Usually have a Youtube/video window snapped on the left and other stuff on the right and it sits like that from morning until evening when I relocate to the bedroom. But maybe I can go with a Samsung QLED display given the better bright room performance (I have a lot of windows/reflections going on) which would eliminate the burnin concerns as well as let me get the 'honkin chonkus' 85" model for not much more than the LG 77"... Man I miss my old plasma TV.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 13, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If nothing else, the taskbar is always there. And I feel like most people who have 27" 1440p monitors or greater typically use split windows--I almost always do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

If nothing else, the taskbar is always there. And I feel like most people who have 27" 1440p monitors or greater typically use split windows--I almost always do.

I actually never do, 32" 4k and 27" 1440p monitors here. Do you use special software for that or just size the windows up yourself and they somehow remember where to go?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I use ClassicShell and hide/popup the taskbar from the left ~_~ but there's a lot of static elements on the screen, left side Youtube/video window area is up basically 18 hours a day every day unmoving (aside from the content itself OFC. But the screen as a whole is also just 'on desktop' much of the day, very long static use. Basically worst case for burn-in..)

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 13, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

VelociBacon posted:

I actually never do, 32" 4k and 27" 1440p monitors here. Do you use special software for that or just size the windows up yourself and they somehow remember where to go?

Windows will split the screen for you if you just grab a title bar and drag it to an edge or corner. I use it rarely but with a different workflow it might be super useful.

You can get more functionality out of DisplayFusion if you wanted other stuff.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Windows will split the screen for you if you just grab a title bar and drag it to an edge or corner. I use it rarely but with a different workflow it might be super useful.

You can get more functionality out of DisplayFusion if you wanted other stuff.

you can also use the win + arrow keys to do the same

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

Yeah they are the same outside of the stand and accent colors. Though they should've gone EOL at the same time. Where'd you find a Y44w?

It was on Amazon so it’s probably refurbished or stolen. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

VelociBacon posted:

PowerToys is a thing again and has configurable zones you can snap windows to.