Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think I posted it before but if you can get your head around enjoying Michael Jackson's music then you can watch a video from Beau and get something out of it (if you want).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ugh I'm sorry too jeebus chrimbus

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/halbritz/status/1512926266827100167
https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1513115142049116165

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Somewhere a sergeants major is seeing his elvis hair and is furious he can't yell at that staff sergeant.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I feel like long hair made it his life's mission to push the militaries more arbitrary rules and i applaud him lol. Just the constant don't break the box don't break the box! Im not in not!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, I agree. But I know some CSM or SGM out there is melting down because they seemingly learn how to spot out of regs hair at sergeants major school. It's gotta be at least a week of classroom and a week of live fire range.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh, I agree. But I know some CSM or SGM out there is melting down because they seemingly learn how to spot out of regs hair at sergeants major school. It's gotta be at least a week of classroom and a week of live fire range.

from what this thread has taught me, thats a Sergeant's Major(does the possessive work the same as the plural?) primary purpose

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

... am I being gaslit? Since when is it Sergeants Major.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Does the major belong to the sergeant? Or is it sergeants' major being the major belongs to multiple sergeants?

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 11, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Carteret posted:

... am I being gaslit? Since when is it Sergeants Major.

I've heard it both ways and seen it written both ways. I think if it's broadly plural, it's sergeants. Singular or individual, sergeant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Those locks are incredibly easy to decode by putting tension in the shackle and finding position where each code wheel has the most slop. You could teach it to a monkey.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Those locks are incredibly easy to decode by putting tension in the shackle and finding position where each code wheel has the most slop. You could teach it to a monkey.

So not Officers then? :v:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I've heard it both ways and seen it written both ways. I think if it's broadly plural, it's sergeants. Singular or individual, sergeant.

The full title would be sergeant major so the plural would be sergeant majors. Putting the plural at sergeants would indicate the major is separate or theres a comma (sergeants, major or major sergeants) if it was spoken. At least in English it would be a little funny to break it up like that.

Or at least that's how I would read it but I'm basically illiterate.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

lightpole posted:

The full title would be sergeant major so the plural would be sergeant majors. Putting the plural at sergeants would indicate the major is separate or theres a comma (sergeants, major or major sergeants) if it was spoken. At least in English it would be a little funny to break it up like that.

Bold assumption that English has to make any sense whatsoever, or actually have any kind of internal logical consistency.

It's sergeants major, and I'm angry I still know that.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Bold assumption that English has to make any sense whatsoever, or actually have any kind of internal logical consistency.

I hate this language

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/paraga/status/1513354622466867201?t=lPgisWCjJtsEhc8OUzKmLw&s=19

:lmao:

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

from what this thread has taught me, thats a Sergeant's Major(does the possessive work the same as the plural?) primary purpose

a Sergeant Major's primary purpose

the primary purpose of several Sergeants Major

technically instead of that second one you can do an s-apostrophe plural possessive but in practice it's clearer writing to avoid that when dealing with postpositive adjectives

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It is sergeants major. Major modifies sergeant. They are NCOs. Same with Sergeants First Class. And Privates First Class (you shorten it to “privates” rather than “classes” or “first classes”).

Where it goes different is people saying the acronym. Everyone says “PFCs” not “PsFC” when speaking the acronym.

Also courts martial. And Brothers Grimm.

But the wrong version is spoken often enough that no one really calls it out unless in formal setting like writing a script for a ceremony or something.

And years past as in “The mill stopped operations due to a mechanical failure several years past” rather than “several year pasts.”

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

lightpole posted:

I hate this language
Blame the French

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Blame the French

They are stupid too and have random silent s in their words.

I tried to fight the system in elementary school and make the language make sense but I got in trouble and gave up.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hoo boy, I can already hear the FOX pundits getting triggered over this :lol:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

lightpole posted:

The plural in the UK is sergeant majors. I hate that I googled it to confirm my suspicions earlier, but I thought it was something we carried over from the brits and was used the same. Turns out we're weird and moved the plural.

But look at us, learning something. Even if it's pointless and dumb.

I've given up on the apostrophe location, if any.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/inrangetv/status/1512994321351340033?s=21&t=jK4pbZkE357ulpADvoMgXg

:sherman:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 11, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Checkmate Davisites.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

Checkmate Davisites.

:911::vince:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://i.imgur.com/tnwNb4A.mp4

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/mbutyaka/status/1322426974107820032

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

mlmp08 posted:

It is sergeants major. Major modifies sergeant. They are NCOs. Same with Sergeants First Class. And Privates First Class (you shorten it to “privates” rather than “classes” or “first classes”).

Where it goes different is people saying the acronym. Everyone says “PFCs” not “PsFC” when speaking the acronym.

Also courts martial. And Brothers Grimm.

But the wrong version is spoken often enough that no one really calls it out unless in formal setting like writing a script for a ceremony or something.

And years past as in “The mill stopped operations due to a mechanical failure several years past” rather than “several year pasts.”

What about for the Navy, Pettys Officer?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Elviscat posted:

What about for the Navy, Pettys Officer?

Officers, petty.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

IPCRESS posted:

Officers, petty.

They sure are.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Petty is an adjective modifying officer, from the French "petit" meaning "not really". The analogy here is the "first/second/third class" part of the title, where the plural is "petty officers first class".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The way I think of it is that a sergeant major is a sergeant, not a major.

lightpole posted:

They are stupid too and have random silent s in their words.

I tried to fight the system in elementary school and make the language make sense but I got in trouble and gave up.

French is such a terrible language that they spend large amounts of their time not pronouncing significant parts of it.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 11, 2022

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Petty is an adjective modifying officer, from the French "petit" meaning "not really". The analogy here is the "first/second/third class" part of the title, where the plural is "petty officers first class".

Petit means small, actually. Or little.

Lieutenant is in lieu of.

Then there’s the whole capitaine / commandant thing which ugh gently caress European French.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A.o.D. posted:

French is such a terrible language that they spend large amounts of their time not pronouncing significant parts of it.

To be fair, I also spend large amounts of my time not pronouncing French.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

So, reading between the lines, the lawyers sat Elon down and said "if you're on the board, you will be sued if you poo poo-talk Twitter online" and he chose poo poo-talking over actual governance. Whatever else he is, he is a poster's poster.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Notahippie posted:

So, reading between the lines, the lawyers sat Elon down and said "if you're on the board, you will be sued if you poo poo-talk Twitter online" and he chose poo poo-talking over actual governance. Whatever else he is, he is a poster's poster.

Apparently if you're on the board you can only buy up to a 14.9% stake in the company. The way the announcement from Twitter is phrased, this happened because Musk wants to buy even more of Twitter.

Potentially a controlling interest! Wouldn't that be fun. :smithicide:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Apparently if you're on the board you can only buy up to a 14.9% stake in the company. The way the announcement from Twitter is phrased, this happened because Musk wants to buy even more of Twitter.

I haven't looked into Twitter in quite a while, is it still hemorrhaging money?
Cuz I'm all for Musk sinking a ton of money into an overvalued tech company that can't figure out how to monetize its business. Hopefully one of these stupid rear end companies will go up in flames and take him with it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/09/us/politics/biden-border-immigration.html

The new story about the immigration failures is that things weren't done quickly because Biden's immigration officials were too busy fighting each other over how to deal with immigration issues. They claim that even now there won't be a decisive solution to the problems because they still haven't agreed on a unified plan to solve it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bengy81 posted:

Hopefully one of these stupid rear end companies will go up in flames and take him with it.

SpaceX's record does have some spots and Bezos took a ride Elon has to too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kesper North posted:

This morning, to wake myself up, I read about Poison Pills because that's basically where this nonsense is all headed:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/poisonpill.asp

Unless just Elon retreats into the lift of a significant shareholding shitposter, the Twitter board probably needs to pass some poo poo to ward off an Elon Musk hostile takeover. The Twitter Market Cap is ~38B, and Elon's worth ~274B, so he very well could try to buy enough stock to get 50%+1. Then again, the SEC would likely *again* have a word about that kind of thing.

Or Elon's about to dump the poo poo at a mild gain for the lulz.