Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Doing a Slaanesh campaign for the first time. The developers must have had a great time writing all the random events and voice lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arghy posted:

I mean WH2 was pretty loving amazing and the modders filled in for all the devs failings so honestly all they need to do is give us a giant map and modding tools then the price will be worth it.

This is true! Just have to be patient. I still play and have fun.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

your crappy cosmetic items can be validated by the game servers themselves at the cost of nothing, or your crappy cosmetic items can be validated by a syndicate of profiteering GPU-hoarders at the cost of an acre of rainforest.

that's it. that's the entire choice.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

How do you think they get those pictures of monkeys? Rainforests.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Nash posted:

Doing a Slaanesh campaign for the first time. The developers must have had a great time writing all the random events and voice lines.

My favorite voice line of any of the demon factions is tzeench’s iridescent horror saying, “it’s……….. ME!”

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm liking Cathay way more than I thought I would, they play kind of like the Dawi but actually fun and not so slow you can take a nap during a charge order.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Cathay is great. Celestial Dragon Guard Crossbows are insane.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Cathay feels a lot better once you realize that their "maintain formation" toggle is a literal trap option that makes all of their infantry 30% worse so you should immediately turn it off on every single unit that has it.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
You can also download this mod to make formation attack not suck: Cataph's Formed Defence

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

that little guy that yells “Sega!” how much to own that how many acres

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Gonkish posted:

https://thegeek.games/2022/01/25/total-war-warhammer-iii-nft-sega-ca-pc/

Apparently Sega's trying to speedrun the "lose all the goodwill you've built up over the past 6 years, any%" category. gently caress NFTs.

I can understand them "looking into it" because Sega forces them to, but if any of that poo poo actually ends up in the game I'd never play another CA game just out of principle. Any company that dabbles in NFTs is tainted forever, unless they quickly reverse their course and come out with a public apology for even suggesting this poo poo is a good idea. Sega is a dogshit company and everyone knows it, but CA still has some brand value that could be lost forever with this.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Warhammer 3 NFT?
More like, uh... Not Fun Totalwar!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gonkish posted:

https://thegeek.games/2022/01/25/total-war-warhammer-iii-nft-sega-ca-pc/

Apparently Sega's trying to speedrun the "lose all the goodwill you've built up over the past 6 years, any%" category. gently caress NFTs.
For what it's worth, this is old news. Sega made some statements about "investigation their options" regarding NFTs and the play-to-earn model back in December. There was a backlash. And then in January the CEO made some corporate-speak statement that basically translated into "Yeah, we're not doing anything with NFT right now. Please stop yelling at us."
There's been no news regarding Sega & NFTs since then. Realistically they probably judged it to be to great of a risk and are waiting to see what'll happen with Ubisoft.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Lol what is Ubisoft doing? Assassin monkeys?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Twigand Berries posted:

Lol what is Ubisoft doing? Assassin monkeys?

They did some lovely NFT skins for a ghost recon game and got really mad when nobody wanted the skins and people yelled at them a lot over doing it.

Mercrom posted:

You can also download this mod to make formation attack not suck: Cataph's Formed Defence

This stops them from getting massacred ultra fast but it doesn't address units in formation doing a lot less damage because they're constantly shuffling to maintain formation instead of attacking the enemy, so the unit still ends up shittier than if it wasn't turned on in the first place.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 10, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is the new winds of magic system just totally RNG whether the zone you're in gives you mana or not?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kanos posted:

They did some lovely NFT skins for a ghost recon game and got really mad when nobody wanted the skins and people yelled at them a lot over doing it.

UBISoft dropped NFTs from Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and announced that the NFTs can't be sold, have zero value, but that UBISoft is still going to put NFTs into other games lmao. Also all employees still working on Breakpoint got their own free NFT haha.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It always was but the big difference now is that you actually have a pool of reserves you can build by channeling or being in a high magic region and if you spam magic in a fight but don't refill it you're at the mercy of moving through high winds zones. If you neglect this it'll feel like you're constantly rolling the bad side of the coin but if you have a spare turn or extra move it's worthwhile to toss more magic in the gas tank for later fights, so to speak.

Definitely experiment with it a bit, once I got it I "got" it.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I said come in! posted:

UBISoft dropped NFTs from Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and announced that the NFTs can't be sold, have zero value, but that UBISoft is still going to put NFTs into other games lmao. Also all employees still working on Breakpoint got their own free NFT haha.

Wait I thought the whole grift about NFT's was the illusion you fully owned whatever you've purchased?

NFT's are planet-killing stupid scams already but this seems extra stupid :psyduck:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Goddamn some of these maps loving suck rear end to defend--what's the point of having 3 towers in stupid locations connected to a really dumb point that's impossible to defend? Here's an overlook that is out of range of the point, maybe the enemy will walk off the capture point and come into the range of the overlook so you can shoot them? Here's one of the maps limited towers with a 30 degree LoS into the corner of a map that no one would ever want to be in.

Gonna see if there's a mod that moves control of everything to the central point so i don't need to bother trying to defend these half rear end capture points. Why the gently caress didn't they just make the towers entity spawns that you can place like a summoned unit? You can't gently caress up placing summoned units and you could just have a fixed amount of summoned towers per defensive battle so you don't gotta waste resources on fixed map placements.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arghy posted:

You can't gently caress up placing summoned units

AI could. They aren't too bad at using melee summons but they aren't great either. A fixed ranged tower and emplacements? Yeah they definitely can gently caress that up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You don't even own whatever NFT you buy, you own the link to wherever the .png is stored lol

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

AI could. They aren't too bad at using melee summons but they aren't great either. A fixed ranged tower and emplacements? Yeah they definitely can gently caress that up.

Eh just make a script for the AI to spam it inside the final capture point or a central one, those usually have good LoS and i can't imagine it being more complicated then getting them to try and work with the current system.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Capitalism is diverting gaming from 3D gently caress simulators and now I’m a communist

like gambling beats loving who would have guessed

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

To not totally derail the thread maybe someone should mod daemonettes with slot machine arms rather than sexy crab claws

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Azran posted:

You don't even own whatever NFT you buy, you own the link to wherever the .png is stored lol

That's the scam of NFT's, yes. Even before you factor in the rugpulls and pump'n'dump scams.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Been trying out a few mods so far.

Our own Mazz had come up with the T4 minor settlement mod and someone continued in the spirit of his work in WH3. For Kislev, a particular benefit is that you can upgrade the market building to T4, which in addition to more money also boosts the output of any trade goods produced in the province by 25%. This could be pretty good in certain places I'm sure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Wait I thought the whole grift about NFT's was the illusion you fully owned whatever you've purchased?

NFT's are planet-killing stupid scams already but this seems extra stupid :psyduck:

its especially hilarious after defenders insisted you would be able to take these to any video game.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Dr Christmas posted:

I think the thing where the death of the single model within the Exalted Bloodletter unit that counts as the lord of the Blood Host no longer causes the army to disappear once that battle is done. I had a battle where I got that popup, and did some experiments where I suicided the leading unit before winning a battle, and the army was still there afterwards. After those battles, the unit returned with a teensy number of models despite being wiped out. It isn't in the patch notes, but I guess it's fixed.

It's still sort of broken. If you lose that unit on a settlement battle that you raze (for either skulls or a new army), it nukes the army. This completely destroyed my momentum on the game I started up and haven't touched it since after doing some experimenting to confirm it.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ugh my first round of mods, forgot how terrible vanilla TW is haha. The AI being immune to attrition yet there's a thing in kislev that causes attrition is loving dumb so i got the mod that changes their loving 60% reduction to 10%. The respec mod so confederating doesn't mean you now have a useless lord. I was gonna get the titty demonette mod until i realized that the author wanted them to be more feminine and i'm sorry but slaanesh does not kink shame--i want a male boob and an exposed breast not just more boobs.

Kinda surprised no one made a sexy sentinel yet.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I did. It looks ...

my god...

it looks like YOU, Arghy!!!

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

I said come in! posted:

its especially hilarious after defenders insisted you would be able to take these to any video game.

This is genuinely the stupidest part of the pitch (not the reality, but the pitch itself). Anyone who has experience in the video game industry will tell you that you can't even keep up with supporting/making your own content. In what loving world are you supporting someone else's content? Hell, how many games have pitched being able to carry your characters across games in a series and then ended up having to ditch it? Complete insanity.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm having fun playing some demon campaigns with the change starting settlement mod. Demons up in the demon wasteland felt pretty boring, it's much more fun when it's Slannesh corrupting the empire or Khorne cutting a path through the Ork badlands.

The chaos wastes are a bit bland in that respect, most other biomes have a bunch of different races spread all over, but the wastes are just demons, demons and more demons with maybe some chaos warriors, and pretty much only inhabitable by demons. Will probably be less of an issue in IE, but in this one it feels like half the map is taken up by demon stuff.

I'm playing with the no minor settlement battles mod too and enjoying it much more this way. Ideally T3 settlements would still have them, will have to wait on a mod for that.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Kanos posted:

This stops them from getting massacred ultra fast but it doesn't address units in formation doing a lot less damage because they're constantly shuffling to maintain formation instead of attacking the enemy, so the unit still ends up shittier than if it wasn't turned on in the first place.

I disagree. Adding 10 melee defense turns it into a defensive stance which would only make it bad for Khorne. Not for a faction with ranged units and magic to do most of the damage.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Mercrom posted:

I disagree. Adding 10 melee defense turns it into a defensive stance which would only make it bad for Khorne. Not for a faction with ranged units and magic to do most of the damage.

Agree with this take. I'd absolutely use this for my screen units, that's HUGE to MD, potentially even broken. 10 MD is a massive boon, doing a tradeoff where you're not going to get as much unit coverage because of the cohesion if you try and charge seems very fair. Just turn it off if you're using them offensively.

Edit: Did some quick testing on this, simple jade warriors v jade warriors. The ones with the improved formation mod on (Team A) significantly outperformed the other unit that had it toggled off (Team B). When Team B was down to half HP, Team B still had ~79% of their HP. This divide only got worse as time progressed. Having the formation mode on for your front lines/screens is objectively superior to not having it on.

Edit 2: Some more testing. Anti-infantry will still gently caress them up hard, bloodletters chew through them, the gap was much lower, but their MA is much higher. You'll still really need to be mindful of it. I think I might actually just keep this mod installed, its absolutely not busted on lower tier stuff. It might get a little nutty on higher tier units and you stack some modifiers, but it feels like a really fair tradeoff.

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 11, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mercrom posted:

It's not just a flat buff to melee defense, though. If it was just "if this toggle is on, gives the unit +10 melee defense" it would be an incredible god tier buff. The +10 melee defense in the mod is a retrofit to compensate for the fact that the unit maintaining formation means that guys are shuffling around and not fighting, which means the enemy is hitting them unopposed and frequently can focus multiple models on one Cathayan model because the unit isn't matching contours with the enemy. If the enemy is strong and can kill your infantry at a relatively fast rate, it's even *worse* because the infantry will be moving to retain the formation even more often.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TaintedBalance posted:

This is genuinely the stupidest part of the pitch (not the reality, but the pitch itself). Anyone who has experience in the video game industry will tell you that you can't even keep up with supporting/making your own content. In what loving world are you supporting someone else's content? Hell, how many games have pitched being able to carry your characters across games in a series and then ended up having to ditch it? Complete insanity.

The code is already done, in the blockchain. Its why they're so revolutionary, you just plug them right into the game, and you're ready to go

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Alright the removing attrition resistance from the AI mod is loving amazing for kislev. The AI is handling it really well they went from straight up ignoring it to either loving off or taking the appropriate stances. No more random rear end armies just chilling in your territory playing tag with your armies now they take attrition and are forced to either slow down and allow you to catch them or leave. I might grab the rifts dealing less corruption one next because all of the AI doesn't even have T4 settlements past turn 100 because they didn't have any loving growth.

After playing enough defensive sieges i gotta say they're worse than TW2 just because they have the potential but it's all loving horribly done. Wall towers next to giant blockers where you can hide siege towers then waltz right up and dock on the walls, giant cluttered fields with random rear end barricades, overlooks that should be great but are easily bypassed, giant confusing lay outs that stretch the defender thin instead of being fun to defend. My favorite was trying to hold the walls that got bypassed instantly because the enemy infantry just ran through my infantry towards the capture point. Slow factions are gonna be so hosed and there will never be an instance of where you wanna hold the walls.

Why isn't every map a zig zag path to the final capture point with some break out paths being able to be blocked with barricades??

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
*printing out another Arghy post, shredding it to powder, arranging it into neat lines on my desk* mmm yea that’s the stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Arghy posted:

Alright the removing attrition resistance from the AI mod is loving amazing for kislev. The AI is handling it really well they went from straight up ignoring it to either loving off or taking the appropriate stances. No more random rear end armies just chilling in your territory playing tag with your armies now they take attrition and are forced to either slow down and allow you to catch them or leave. I might grab the rifts dealing less corruption one next because all of the AI doesn't even have T4 settlements past turn 100 because they didn't have any loving growth.

After playing enough defensive sieges i gotta say they're worse than TW2 just because they have the potential but it's all loving horribly done. Wall towers next to giant blockers where you can hide siege towers then waltz right up and dock on the walls, giant cluttered fields with random rear end barricades, overlooks that should be great but are easily bypassed, giant confusing lay outs that stretch the defender thin instead of being fun to defend. My favorite was trying to hold the walls that got bypassed instantly because the enemy infantry just ran through my infantry towards the capture point. Slow factions are gonna be so hosed and there will never be an instance of where you wanna hold the walls.

Why isn't every map a zig zag path to the final capture point with some break out paths being able to be blocked with barricades??
I ought to get the attrition mod, I was thinking about that one. Another fun note about forcing the AI into raiding stance to avoid attrition-in raiding stance the army has reduced ambush detection so its easier to catch them with their pants down.

Agreed that several siege defense maps are frustrating due to layout. There's a lot of redundant sections, like a split path where you can build a barricade on one section but not the other (so the AI will just bypass one, it's really not that helpful in slowing them down). Some maps have lots of places to build barricades, but I seldom have the supply to spare because putting down T2/T3 towers is usually a safer investment.

Shrine/trap wards should be able to be placed anywhere, just have it tied to the nearest control point. I feel shrines would make more sense near Wall sections or gates when applicable.

I think the best compromise would have been to need to build towers and barricades ahead of time then have shrines/traps/bombardment abilities which you can spend supply on. Maybe give a few lores the ability to summon barricades or towers temporarily in the rekevent slots as well.