Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Open world game design is different from linear game design. I think the lack of quest log or markers is a detriment in an open world game. Morrowind solved the problem of not having a marker by describing to you where to go, and the previous Soulses solved it by not having your interactions be very complicated (the last time you meet Siegmeyer you have a couple options that affect how his quest ends, but other than that you just have to talk to NPCs when you meet them).

Hell, even Breath of the Wild (previous pinnacle of showing you where to go through architecture and world design) has quest markers. It's just part of what you have to do when you make an open world game, no matter how janky Miyazaki-sama wants it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If Elden Ring had a meticulous journal like Morrowind it would be so much better. It can be done without the floating arrows!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elden Ring could do something as simple as NPCs not being vague, cryptic pieces of poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elden Ring should gave your character the smallest piece of characterization and have them make a bestiary that updates with monsters, bosses, and NPCs you encounter.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Elden Ring is like the exact perfect example of why lobotomy arrows exist, “figure it out rear end in a top hat” in a 100-hour-long game sucks.

The only stuff you need to do in Elden Ring does have the arrows, though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'd at least like NPCs to be able to remind me what they want. I talked to one who had some whole plan for me, but shortly afterwards I forgot it and went to ask again and she just said "..."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The map drawing in Persona Q 2 is already painfully finicky, and I'm not even out of the first dungeon yet.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

If Elden Ring had a meticulous journal like Morrowind it would be so much better. It can be done without the floating arrows!

Yeah I think the journal approach is probably the best- just have somewhere you can look up all the prompts you've gotten. As mentioned Breath of the Wild does that (none of its subquests are terribly complex either), and you can do that and still be mind-bending and enigmatic.

Paradise Killer is a murder mystery game that does a good job of this, it gives you meticulous details of everything you've learned in conversation, which is a lot because the entire game is talking to characters with some light platforming and exploration thrown in.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

this scene was how the forums became aware of the game and it hit like a meteor strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52CKHbf2C3U

^This fight happens after a character is confronted with acknowledging his sister's suicide, in case it wasn't wacky enough without context.

I wish Elden Ring had more music. I miss the boss music from Bloodborne or Ash Lake from DS1, everything kind of blends at the moment.

I don't understand why fall damage is a thing when it seems like you have "Worringly deep drop that is actually ok with no damage" and "instant death" with zero in-between. Sometimes it feels like the dungeons have different fall damage rules to the over world.
The double jump on Torrent keeps tripping me up trying to negate falls like other platformers, when instead I get a little air hop two feet from the ground and then die, lol

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RareAcumen posted:

Elden Ring should gave your character the smallest piece of characterization and have them make a bestiary that updates with monsters, bosses, and NPCs you encounter.

I don’t agree with the quest log but an Elden ring bestiary would be rad if for no other reason, it’d flesh out the lore/backstory even more and I dig that stuff

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
imagine investing so much self-worth in whether or not you can find things in a game that you call them "lobotomy arrows"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

DrSnakeLaser posted:

^This fight happens after a character is confronted with acknowledging his sister's suicide, in case it wasn't wacky enough without context.

I wish Elden Ring had more music. I miss the boss music from Bloodborne or Ash Lake from DS1, everything kind of blends at the moment.

I don't understand why fall damage is a thing when it seems like you have "Worringly deep drop that is actually ok with no damage" and "instant death" with zero in-between. Sometimes it feels like the dungeons have different fall damage rules to the over world.
The double jump on Torrent keeps tripping me up trying to negate falls like other platformers, when instead I get a little air hop two feet from the ground and then die, lol

Fall damage in Elden Ring is consistent, but it's extremely counter-intuitive

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm pretty sure your character in Elden Ring and the Souls games (although probably not Bloodborne) is nowhere near sane and conscious enough to keep a journal. Like, I could be wrong but I always got the impression that Hollows and Tarnished are baaaaarely holding on to any semblance of sanity. Bloodborne gets weird with it in that the whole plot kinda deals with trying to balance your beasthood and mania with actual human goals.

For an actual thing-dragging-this-down tied to an earlier discussion, I've been trying to jump into Planetside 2 with some friends and it's just bizarre to play an FPS with so much chest-high architecture that doesn't have mantling.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Frank Frank posted:

I don’t agree with the quest log but an Elden ring bestiary would be rad if for no other reason, it’d flesh out the lore/backstory even more and I dig that stuff

I think you can buy info from merchants about certain enemies and that's as close as it gets

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Frank Frank posted:

As it happens I have an exhaustive google doc written on just this subject. Non-canon of course but I could post it if there’s interest?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Rockman Reserve posted:

For an actual thing-dragging-this-down tied to an earlier discussion, I've been trying to jump into Planetside 2 with some friends and it's just bizarre to play an FPS with so much chest-high architecture that doesn't have mantling.

What's mantling?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I replayed XCOM 2 with the War of the Chosen expansion and there's just not enough diversity in it for me. By the time you finish you'll probably have completed more or less the entire tech tree and have two or three units of each class allowing you to unlock all of the class skills. It shows you the global stats at the end and my playthrough was actually only about 75% as long as average, and I was still able to see pretty much everything it had to offer. The game feels like it should be highly repayable but there's just not much that would make my second run any different from my first run.

credburn posted:

What's mantling?

It's a kind of lymphoma iirc

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

credburn posted:

What's mantling?

It's an anti-inflammatory.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

:darksouls:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm pretty sure your character in Elden Ring and the Souls games (although probably not Bloodborne) is nowhere near sane and conscious enough to keep a journal. Like, I could be wrong but I always got the impression that Hollows and Tarnished are baaaaarely holding on to any semblance of sanity. Bloodborne gets weird with it in that the whole plot kinda deals with trying to balance your beasthood and mania with actual human goals.

You make a good point but surely they're not? Like, people ask you to do side quests and talk to you and you're allowed to buy things from people and go to blacksmiths and such. Like, have you ever walked somewhere with NPCs and everyone pulls out their weapons assuming you're Hollow? People are generally pretty friendly to you, no one suspects you of being dangerous.

And there's also your class options.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've noticed whether or not a game is collectively considered bad for having quest markers/radar pips/whatever the gently caress has no actual relation to those elements existing or their overall quality of implementation. It's just dumb tribalistic bullshit and the thrill of getting to take swings at easy targets.

Battleborn.jpg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wasn't ready for how fast Sekiro would be reusing zones.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

I replayed XCOM 2 with the War of the Chosen expansion and there's just not enough diversity in it for me. By the time you finish you'll probably have completed more or less the entire tech tree and have two or three units of each class allowing you to unlock all of the class skills. It shows you the global stats at the end and my playthrough was actually only about 75% as long as average, and I was still able to see pretty much everything it had to offer. The game feels like it should be highly repayable but there's just not much that would make my second run any different from my first run.

There are a lot of good mods out there that target this problem, providing additional tech paths and enemy paths to up the challenges and variety. They are perfect, but they also aren’t any buggier than the base game was. :)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the little thing dragging down video games in general is i went from elden ring to monster hunter rise to sekiro and now i can't keep any of their control schemes straight in my head

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress Nintendo for being the last holdout for the japanese style controller button configuration. I've been playing stuff on my switch for a couple of days and after switching over to my PS5 i keep loving canceling stuff because i push the wrong button!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

DrSnakeLaser posted:

If you fall less than 15m you take zero damage. If you fall between 15m and 19.99m you take like 10%-50% of your max hp as fall damage, depending on the height. If you fall 20m or more you die, and nothing can prevent this. There are some parts of the world with irregular terrain on cliffs just at the cutoff height so if you fall off one place you take 50% damage but if you went off at a slightly different angle you die.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also your horse can double-jump which cancels your apparent downward velocity, but this doesn't affect falling damage in any way.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Toss a rainbow stone over the edge. If it shatters, you gon die.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

DrSnakeLaser posted:

This is also a thing that annoys me about the new Deus Exes. Adam can either fall and be fine, fall and lose almost all of his health, or fall and die, without much indication of what is which.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

DrSnakeLaser posted:

One of the first things Borderlands 3 does is tell you there is no fall damage, but some drops will just instantly kill you, whether it's because it's clearly meant to be some unreachable far drop or just an out of the way place the game failed to prevent you from reaching. loving hell, don't tell me there's no fall damage and then present me with cliffs to jump off of.

Philippe posted:

This is also a thing that annoys me about the new Deus Exes. Adam can either fall and be fine, fall and lose almost all of his health, or fall and die, without much indication of what is which.

I like how in Deus Ex you could fall and break both your legs and still be a master stealth cyberpunk assassin, oozing around on the floor and through vents like a paralyzed dog.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

I've noticed whether or not a game is collectively considered bad for having quest markers/radar pips/whatever the gently caress has no actual relation to those elements existing or their overall quality of implementation. It's just dumb tribalistic bullshit and the thrill of getting to take swings at easy targets.

Battleborn.jpg

Pretty much, yeah.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

credburn posted:

I like how in Deus Ex you could fall and break both your legs and still be a master stealth cyberpunk assassin, oozing around on the floor and through vents like a paralyzed dog.

This is how I finished the tutorial, having blown both my legs off with explosive barrels. The infinite power of nano-augmentation!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i think the wind in ghost of tsushima is my favorite "quest arrow" in games

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Barudak posted:

I wasn't ready for how fast Sekiro would be reusing zones.

?

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

cohsae posted:

Toss a rainbow stone over the edge. If it shatters, you gon die.

If it doesn't shatter you might still die if there's a death plane.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Elden Ring has fake floors that you have to be online to get messages for or attack the floor in petulant gamer rage to find, this poo poo’s a self-parody at this point

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
someone post the tweet of the guy attacking an illusory wall like 50 times to get it to open

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Elden Ring has fake floors that you have to be online to get messages for or attack the floor in petulant gamer rage to find, this poo poo’s a self-parody at this point

It also has invisible floors that you have no idea are actually there.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

It also has invisible floors that you have no idea are actually there.

Dark Souls 1 did this too.

The invisible floor in the one dungeon I think is telegraphed pretty well.

The one for the mage tower is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

Dark Souls 1 did this too.

The invisible floor in the one dungeon I think is telegraphed pretty well.

The one for the mage tower is awful.

And this was a bad system there too