Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Liberty island is in NJ waters, but that's a matter of "this island with the statue is new york"

Now ellis island, on the other hand:

I'm assuming a border was demarcated based on a channel but then they used landfill to build out the island so that it went over where the channel used to be?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm assuming a border was demarcated based on a channel but then they used landfill to build out the island so that it went over where the channel used to be?

like liberty island it remained in the hands of new york when satan created new jersey in the 17th century and gave them the harbor. they then expanded the island in the early 20th century and nj sued

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kentucky is the only state where a portion of it cannot be accessed without traveling through a second state :eng101:

Georgia has something like this but it's actually connected so I don't think it works

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eiba posted:

Jesus Christ that's horrific.

Yeah, I guess if we're including territorial waters that's probably the only one that's completely non-contiguous (I hope). I didn't even know about that border and I feel my life has been made worse after seeing that.

Carter Lake, Iowa is almost as bad.

Theoretically you could swim across the Missouri River to get their, but practically speaking, it’s in the same boat as Kentucky Bend.

Liberty island is in NJ waters, but that's a matter of "this island with the statue is new york"

SCOTUS ruled that all the landfill parts of Liberty Island belong to New Jersey, but it’s both federal property and jointly administered, so there are a couple of layers on that mess.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The little piece of Kentucky mentioned is fully disconnected.

I did not actually say "What the gently caress." out loud when I parsed the map, but the emotion was there.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lol, it owns its specifically the landfill parts that are new jersey. I couldnt think of a funnier outcome

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kentucky is supposed to have the entire Ohio river with Indiana and (ironically) Ohio having none but because they dammed the river up both those states get like a tiny little 50 feet of river

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Lol, it owns its specifically the landfill parts that are new jersey. I couldnt think of a funnier outcome

Why does everyone hate on New Jersey so much, anyway?

NB: I'm not American.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's directly adjacent to the world's 11th largest city, which is a major cultural center, so a regional rivalry gets spread internationally.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Many people have a bad image for NJ because they only see the industrial hellscape around Newark airport.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Private Speech posted:

It’s new york elitism that became widespread due to its oversized influence on hollywood. Then consider that some really smart people decided it was good to build a lot of factories with stinky emissions directly next to the only major highway through North Jersey which means large exposure to NJ stink that reinforces it.

Most of NJ is a great state.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Private Speech posted:

Jersey Shore

The show, not the actual area

I grew up hating New Jersey but I've realized in the last few years that I only hate a very specific area of South Jersey, and there's so much more to the state. It's one of our most European polities.

Jersey drivers are the worst, though. I see a Jersey license plate I'm assuming they're going to gently caress things up somehow

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I only hate a very specific area of South Jersey

Lol why and which part

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You all keep talking about the view from NYC but I'm here to tell you about the view from Philadelphia: we hate loving Jersey people. Hate them like poison. We'd rather drink in a bar with Vladimir Putin and North Korean generals than anybody from loving Jersey.

Yes, you're talking about the view from the most populous city in the United States, but here's the view from the 5th largest city which is also part of your megalopolis.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In the early history of the US, New York got the name of the Empire State was because it aggressively tried to push its borders as far as possible, duking it out with every surrounding state, and stopping Vermont from being part of the initial US because they were still trying to lay their claim to that land. It's kind of ironic how today upstate New York is an often-forgotten thing in the shadow of the city, because they fought really hard to stake it out.

Their fight with New Jersey involved creatively redefining a river and an apocryphal boat race.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You all keep talking about the view from NYC but I'm here to tell you about the view from Philadelphia: we hate loving Jersey people. Hate them like poison. We'd rather drink in a bar with Vladimir Putin and North Korean generals than anybody from loving Jersey.

Yes, you're talking about the view from the most populous city in the United States, but here's the view from the 5th largest city which is also part of your megalopolis.

That area is basically the rich suburbs of Philly so

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Lol why and which part

It's a wide sloppy crescent that extends from Paulsboro to Trenton, mostly around the 130/295 corridor. Why? I don't know. Sometimes adults just inculcate hatred into young people and there's no real reason

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah tell me Camden is a rich suburb

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Camden is Philly in all but name

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The little piece of Kentucky mentioned is fully disconnected.

Give it enough time, and the problem will solve itself once the river eventually finds the shortest possible path across the peninsula, and the river bend becomes an oxbow lake! :pseudo:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

In the early history of the US, New York got the name of the Empire State was because it aggressively tried to push its borders as far as possible, duking it out with every surrounding state, and stopping Vermont from being part of the initial US because they were still trying to lay their claim to that land. It's kind of ironic how today upstate New York is an often-forgotten thing in the shadow of the city, because they fought really hard to stake it out.
It's always forgotten that Vermont started as a rebellious country outside of the British Empire and they were not part of the 13 colonies because New York believed they were unlawfully rebelling against its authority. They had their own little army, created to fight against New York, and we had to convince that army to fight on our side. Vermont at one point fought against the United States, and the British Empire, simultaneously, and they won. They had their own currency. They were independent a lot longer than Texas was.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1513285847365341194

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Private Speech posted:

I think of the overall Tri-state/NYC metropolitan area it just gets most of the negative stereotypes dumped on it. Some of it deserved. Lots of it just running gags.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I've spent enough time in the various portions of south jersey to have a non-specific hatred of it.

Camden's probably the best part of south jersey.

Lmao they wish they were the rich suburbs of philly

the rich suburbs of philly are "We were rich before this country was created" rich

"Please do not look our horse in the eyes, its food cost more than you make in a year" rich

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GoutPatrol posted:

Many people have a bad image for NJ because they only see the industrial hellscape around Newark airport.

Whats with the yellow salient and blue enclave north of what I think is Staten island?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That technically I think is Newark Bay? Hudson County is a peninsula.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Vavrek posted:

I did not actually say "What the gently caress." out loud when I parsed the map, but the emotion was there.

Amateurs.

Two German exclaves in Belgium.

The Vennbahn cuts through them.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 11, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Where’s the one that’s just one house?

e: Rückschlag, south of there, 50.5976, 6.2474, or, if you prefer, Auf Aderich 33

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 11, 2022

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Private Speech posted:

I'm not either, but I'd guess it has a lot to do with the fact that New Jersey's biggest population centres are suburbs of either New York or Philadelphia, so it's a state mostly characterised by sprawl, a stereotype of suburban middle-class aspirations similar to the stereotypes about e.g. Essex in England and of course the shores.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Private Speech posted:

The drivers from NJ are unbelievably bad, their license plate is piss yellow, their state is shaped like a turd and smells like one too, they import trash to dump in landfills, and everyone from the more populous parts of the state are arrogant assholes while people from the less populous states are the worst kinds of hicks.

Jersey Shore

The show, not the actual area
Nah this hatred runs much deeper and longer than that. The show only made it worse.

Jersey drivers are the worst, though. I see a Jersey license plate I'm assuming they're going to gently caress things up somehow
My man.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Nah this hatred runs much deeper and longer than that. The show only made it worse.
Crazy that it made it worse, when the people on the show were above average Americans.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you're not familiar with the area, it's hard to overstate the impact of Jersey drivers on your perceptions. If you live in the Delaware Valley and drive, someone with a bright yellow New Jersey license plate on their vehicle will almost kill you on a very regular basis. Over months and years of these encounters a certain bad feeling does build up, it can't be avoided.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'm not either, but I'd guess it has a lot to do with the fact that New Jersey's biggest population centres are suburbs of either New York or Philadelphia, so it's a state mostly characterised by sprawl, a stereotype of suburban middle-class aspirations similar to the stereotypes about e.g. Essex in England and of course the shores.

From what I've heard English people talk about people from Essex, it's a very similar stereotype.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wonder if they’ll ever merge Austin and San Antonio

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Badger of Basra posted:

It's not even listed as a combined statistical area so probably not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Private Speech posted:

It is the only place ive ever driven where someone used a sidewalk as a right hand turn lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Probably not officially but the next time MLB and the NFL expand, they'll be treated as one market so they don't have to give franchises to both cities.