Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least you didn't have to travel anywhere for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Apparently the IT department was flooded somehow, so has relocated to the dental clinic, bizarrely. Monday is Asset Tagging day, but thankfully someone whipped up some barcodes to allow for quick entry. Also got to wipe a bunch of Force10 switch configs and replace hard drives on little Lenovo monitor/terminal combos. Most of today was spent replacing old laptop SSD's with more reasonably-sized ones. Presumably to keep them usable.

I figure I will start adding stuff about asset management and hardware storage upgrades to the resume now.

Gonna workshop AWS-East jokes too

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 8, 2022

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I had the worst interview of my career yesterday, I think. From the moment this dude opened his mouth it was clear I had no chance and he thought having to talk to me was a colossal inconvenience. Like I tried being friendly and starting a conversation and he cut me off to just flatly read the first question he was clearly reciting off of a list. He ran through that list of 4-5 questions, then we dove into a pointlessly short coding question. The interview was scheduled to take an hour, he rushed through it in 20 minutes and as soon as I said, "No I don't have any more questions for you right now," and started to thank him he cut me off with a clipped, "Thank you for your time, if there are next steps you'll hear about them shortly," and disconnected.

I was already going to pull my application based on that experience, so I'm honestly ok with that outcome (I'd also asked about the size of the team, since I'd interviewed a few years back and they've been almost continually hiring since....he said 30 engineers, no change in size, so obviously they aren't hiring to expand but have near-constant turnover).

I had a similar experience with a project delivery manager earlier in the week. Dude just seemed disinterested and checked out. He audibly sighed after I answered a question and before he asked the next one. Apparently the strenuous task of learning about a candidate was too much for him on this day? At one point (I'm pretty sure sarcastically) he re-used an analogy I used to express my soft skills in challenging situations. It was bizarre. gently caress 'em and move on imo.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Agrikk posted:

What is the current go-to router (and perhaps a wireless extender) for home wireless networking?

A vacation rental property of ours has just been renovated and I'll be purchasing a new router for it. The problem is that the outside cable box is at one end of the house (on the end of the house with the kitchen and living area) while the bedrooms are at the opposite end, so I'm concerned that a typical router might not have the coverage nor strength required to pass through 1-3 interior (drywall) walls to get to the back bedroom.

And since it's a rental, this has to be a simple design so the fewer extenders the better.

The TP-Link Archer series is the usual recommendation. They come in a range so just buy whichever suits your needs. Apparently the quality varies by hardware revision; I did get a lemon once, but the replacement has been solid.

You'd have to test to be sure, or do a predictive map, but honestly, I would try it with just the router first. Might cover you fine.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Agrikk posted:

What is the current go-to router (and perhaps a wireless extender) for home wireless networking?

A vacation rental property of ours has just been renovated and I'll be purchasing a new router for it. The problem is that the outside cable box is at one end of the house (on the end of the house with the kitchen and living area) while the bedrooms are at the opposite end, so I'm concerned that a typical router might not have the coverage nor strength required to pass through 1-3 interior (drywall) walls to get to the back bedroom.

And since it's a rental, this has to be a simple design so the fewer extenders the better.

Some of my friends had this exact situation with the cable drop/modem being at the far end of their condo with a brick and plaster wall separating it from the rest of the house. They got the Orbis with base station plus an extender (2 pack) and haven't had any issues since, compared to lots of issues before.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

codo27 posted:

Management has requested some sort of paging/alarm system where if they need to reach someone in a particular facility, they'll drat well sure know it. Management is off site and if they try and reach the facility manager and cant, they want to be able to send some sort of signal so that someone responds ASAP. Whats the best way to go about this?

We use MIR3 alerting paging SaaS service. May be a bit overkill though if you have less than 10,000 recipients.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Our cable comes into my home office in one corner of the house. I had a TP-link Archer and it was fine for years since most things are on the first floor or right above my office, but once Covid hit and there were 3 people working/schooling from home and spread out in the house we had some issues. I ended up going with a Ubiquiti WAP and ER-X router. The WAP seemed a little bit stronger, but I could also put it higher up in the ceiling, and splitting WAP and router into 2 devices really helped.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I had a similar Archer experience. After moving into the house it started being really unreliable, especially with the tv trying to stream. I think something was actually broken internally, either hardware or the firmware was corrupted, because after a while it would just lock up if I tried rebooting it over the network instead of power cycling it (I was lazy and didn't want to walk upstairs).

We switched to an AX6600 instead and haven't had a single problem since, plus I actually get signal out in the backyard now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It took me that entire post to realize you weren't having extremely specific issues when trying to stream Archer.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I just want to brag about this pc I acquired

I9 9020X cpu
GTX 3080
32GB RAM

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

I just want to brag about this pc I acquired

I9 9020X cpu
GTX 3080
32GB RAM

I too am gaming strong these days. One of us.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We just got done spending an ungodly amount of cash on two new computers at home, our lga 1556 systems were still technically okay but was getting to the point where cpu heavy stuff felt real bad.

I still feel guilty but it looks like we’ll be waiting at least two more years for components to have a chance to be reasonably priced and I ain’t waiting that long.

12th gen i7 and a 3080 under this hood!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I just grabbed a ryzen 5600g and that seems to be doing the job pretty nicely. Will add a graphics card when pries arent stupid.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm keeping an eye on cards, hoping to pick up a 3060 for my brother but those seem to be in the highest demand right now and I'm not near a Microcenter so I can't pick one up in person.

My 1070ti is getting old but it still does what it needs to do, I just wish that I could predict how prices are going to go rather than it being so unpredictable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’ve been buying 3060s from Best Buy and selling at cost to friends. Sold 4 so far and just got another this past weekend.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Agrikk posted:

Had a similar problem because our house has 3 floors and the WIFI router was located in one corner of the house, where the cable modem is. Put in a Ubiquiti Amplify with the two extenders and it's been rock-solid since. It also auto-updates, which is nice.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Last day at work, leaving everything in order before I start the process of moving to my next job. Its a massive 23 hour drive to get there. Not a whole lot of money extra from what I'm getting but has a higher cap and I'm going to save 10k+ a year in cost of living. Hopefully I can leverage the position to find a spot back in the island like I originally wanted, should be easier since the department has a bigger presence there.

I know a lot of people hate working customer support, but I love interacting with people and solving their issues, and since I make a game out of solving new problems it never feels like work. You really get a feel about what an impact you do in an organization when everyone starts messaging you kind words about all the help you've provided them in the few years you were there. My dream job would be some sort of amalgamation where you do like 50% customer support, 25% system admin and 25% security work and actually get paid well to do it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

is my org the only one where even IT People don't know the difference between an incident and a request

alg fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 11, 2022

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

alg posted:

is my org the only one where even IT People don't know the difference between an incident and a reuest

Nope

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

alg posted:

is my org the only one where even IT People don't know the difference between an incident and a request

Your situation is the norm as far as my experience shows.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

alg posted:

Work with your service management team so that people can't just create incidents. A generic intake form that can triage whether something needs to be a request or incident will at least weed out the obvious misclassified stuff.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Ticketing systems can't even get it consistent. Zenesk swapped (hardcoded too) the definition of incident and problem from itil defined ones.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

alg posted:

Here everything is a request because incidents require you to fill out more information before you can submit the ticket.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Today I learned Juniper and Force10 switches have different CLI's vs Cisco ones. My knowledge is useless!!!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Vargatron posted:

Here everything is a request because incidents require you to fill out more information before you can submit the ticket.

I think this is why people do requests instead of incidents in my org too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This is not a snarky response, but a genuine question: Why should I, as an IT Person, care about the distinction between an incident and a request.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For me I have a 5 day SLA on most requests, but if those come in as an incident my SLA is dropped to a day and breaches are automatically sent to director tier management.

"Incident closed, please fill out a service request."

Incidents also bypass the normal approval process for service requests which audit does not like.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There is no distinction between an incident and a request where I'm working currently. They call in the tier 0 help desk, they speak with an agent the agent generates a request with number for them and then the either sit on it for 2 weeks or send it to us immediately, either way it becomes an incident when we get our hands on it.

When people call us in directly I just generate an incident request since its what I'm used to seeing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Last day at work, leaving everything in order before I start the process of moving to my next job. Its a massive 23 hour drive to get there. Not a whole lot of money extra from what I'm getting but has a higher cap and I'm going to save 10k+ a year in cost of living. Hopefully I can leverage the position to find a spot back in the island like I originally wanted, should be easier since the department has a bigger presence there.

I know a lot of people hate working customer support, but I love interacting with people and solving their issues, and since I make a game out of solving new problems it never feels like work. You really get a feel about what an impact you do in an organization when everyone starts messaging you kind words about all the help you've provided them in the few years you were there. My dream job would be some sort of amalgamation where you do like 50% customer support, 25% system admin and 25% security work and actually get paid well to do it.

That’s great! Good luck with the new role.

I think you’re right on the customer support roles. It sounds like being a AWS TAM is exactly what your dream job is. Some sort of advanced customer support that requires the technology chops.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

This is not a snarky response, but a genuine question: Why should I, as an IT Person, care about the distinction between an incident and a request.

different SLAs, different reporting

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think you’re right on the customer support roles. It sounds like being a AWS TAM is exactly what your dream job is. Some sort of advanced customer support that requires the technology chops.

My company does not do much with AWS, but they have been poaching people from us. Not really front line support, but more people who were high level customer focused problem solvers. I am guessing that for the right person they will throw a lot of training their way.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Every org I've been a part of just has half assed ITIL implementations because the C Suite just wants to see metrics and doesn't actually want to improve the business using the metrics. This is also why we have like 400 classifications for tickets and they constantly bounce between teams because nobody "handles that category".

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

That sounds exactly what I would think of as my dream job. Definitely will try to train into it later down the road.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SubjectVerbObject posted:

My company does not do much with AWS, but they have been poaching people from us. Not really front line support, but more people who were high level customer focused problem solvers. I am guessing that for the right person they will throw a lot of training their way.

I think I'd like to work for AWS one day?

I do a lot with security work within AWS, heavily use a lot of the security services day to day, and would love to do nothing but that. Instead I end up babysitting a lot of teams and explaining to them why they shouldnt have wide open security groups for their instances or asking why they keep making rogue IAM users.

Thats probably the job at AWS too though. But if they paid me more!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

alg posted:

different SLAs, different reporting

Ah, stuff I don't care about then.

Supposedly the Helpdesk and T2 have some SLAs, but once anything gets to T3 (where I am) it's just a "ticket" and there are no SLAs and no reporting so we just work the ticket and move on with our lives (we get very few tickets).

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
ITIL is pretty lame but if you can’t understand the difference between a request and an incident please learn English

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Ah, stuff I don't care about then.

Supposedly the Helpdesk and T2 have some SLAs, but once anything gets to T3 (where I am) it's just a "ticket" and there are no SLAs and no reporting so we just work the ticket and move on with our lives (we get very few tickets).

And it's usually a much more interesting problem too

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I only care because the management above me cares intensely about the reports the ticketing system generates and if I play their dumb ITIL games they stop bugging me about it.

Death to all management!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Also

Incident: Someone cant do their job because something is broken.

Request: Someone cant do their job because they don't have a tool they need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

the distinction is important because when you analyze the reporting and see consistent incidents with a system or application, you know where to devote resources to fixing problems. having your people constantly putting out fires, especially with an old, legacy system, is not an optimal way to work.