Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's like school shootings. As utterly incomprehensible as completely unpreventable from keeping on happening again and again using any means imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Home Depots definitely have sprinklers and then they have rack sprinklers in places where it's needed like paints/solvents/etc. The racks are spaced/designed to discourage the flames from jumping between aisles. This can only do so much, however.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Home Depots definitely have sprinklers and then they have rack sprinklers in places where it's needed like paints/solvents/etc. The racks are spaced/designed to discourage the flames from jumping between aisles. This can only do so much, however.

At the end of the day, it's still a building full of all the things a small fire needs to grow and thrive. Haters and sprinklers can't keep down a sufficiently motivated fire when it has these sorts of opportunities for advancement into an inferno.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
As someone said earlier, in things like department stores, sprinklers exists more as a way to allow people to escape then to stop fires.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

As someone said earlier, in things like department stores, sprinklers exists more as a way to allow people to escape then to stop fires.

And reduce insurance rates!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And reduce insurance rates!

I think most large companies like that are self-insured.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

binge crotching posted:

I think most large companies like that are self-insured.

Not if they can help it. Why absorb the inevitable cost yourself when you can make someone else do it?

Remember, the primary purpose Red Hat plays in the computer ecosystem is to allow people to sue them for downtime, which allows for the corporate adoption of linux with risk adverse companies.

Its just standard practice to offload as much cost as possible when you are a giant corporation, and insuring poo poo like this is one way.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When you're large enough that problems only affect one area of the business, and you can amortize that loss over the entire rest of the company that's still making profit, you save money overall by self-insuring. That's literally how insurance works, they aim to charge you more than they pay out when spreading those losses over all their other clients that didn't suffer whatever disaster they're insured against.

Something like "our head office computer systems went down" is likely to affect the entire company, so is something you'd want to carry insurance for. "One store burned down" isn't really going to affect the profitability of your other stores, so if you have enough stores to spread that risk over then you can quite reasonably just self-insure and save money. Maybe you carry some cheap overage insurance that only pays out if like three stores burn down in a year or something, just to mitigate any worst-case scenarios.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ra2sq5os2M1qigfjt.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r9n1glum4n1zurqo3.mp4

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm just going to assume that no lessons were learned this day.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jabor posted:

When you're large enough that problems only affect one area of the business, and you can amortize that loss over the entire rest of the company that's still making profit, you save money overall by self-insuring. That's literally how insurance works, they aim to charge you more than they pay out when spreading those losses over all their other clients that didn't suffer whatever disaster they're insured against.

Something like "our head office computer systems went down" is likely to affect the entire company, so is something you'd want to carry insurance for. "One store burned down" isn't really going to affect the profitability of your other stores, so if you have enough stores to spread that risk over then you can quite reasonably just self-insure and save money. Maybe you carry some cheap overage insurance that only pays out if like three stores burn down in a year or something, just to mitigate any worst-case scenarios.

From personal experience, TI will sue over a single fab out of 100 worldwide going down, caused by a bug in a single server. (Iirc HP actually ended up eating the cost of that very minor $100mil outage)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The rear end in a top hat racing the motorbike in the white car who ran the red light may have learned a lesson the hard way. The motorcycle guy probably just thinks he's now provably immortal.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

I drew a lot of bladed weapons as a teenager and I am extremely jealous that this guy turned it into a career path.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DiHK posted:

I drew a lot of bladed weapons as a teenager and I am extremely jealous that this guy turned it into a career path.

Dude even had like... 6 episodes of a show on the Discovery Channel

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DiHK posted:

As a teenager I did a couple of weeks of apprenticing with a rural blacksmith, and jesus gently caress is it hard work. It was fun to turn iron into steel and hammer out a knife or something like that, but the abuse your body takes is crazy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I know a few blacksmiths, and like welding you can't go through airport security anymore after a few years of it because of all the metal shards embedded in your skin, and the degree of physical labor will end up destroying your body pretty quick.

All thay said, every one of them says it's worth it for the satisfaction of being able to make that stuff

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
This guy is one of my favorite things on YT, he does super fun stupid weapons.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

that friggen face blade at the end lmao

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Especially in anything you're gonna get the sprinkler or deluge discount, self insurance is usually a matter of carrying the insurance expertise to insure yourself. It's more a vertical integration than a functional excellence question in a weird way. There's a lot of right to operate concerns in various jurisdictions that require properly documented insurance and documenting insurance is the hard part if you're otherwise a cash flush enterprise.

Then you insure the insurance.

Getting an SLA contract from some IT provider for running things that are otherwise off the shelf or free in the jnternet isn't not insurance. But you're also not going to face legal action if your POS goes down and you don't get it working again soon (plus or minus some weird stockholder stuff). It's more functional excellence: you get to blame someone else if something happens to something you're not even in the business of doing to begin with.

If your building burns down without a sprinkler and insurance and someone got hurt and can't recoup damages because the company is now insolvent because also the goods are ruined, that's a rare case you might actually lose the protection of incorporation. There is usually some form of right to operate laws to actively enforce against ever getting to that point and if you do, being able to go after people instead of corporations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I wanna blare this out of my truck when I have a sketchy load. Having a bunch of crap tied down in the back of my truck is a frikken magnet for tailgaters.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DiHK posted:

I drew a lot of bladed weapons as a teenager

funny, while you were doing that, I was slammin' rear end.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

well while you were partying he was drawing the blade

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

That’s the Ukraine coat of arms he's tracing at 0:30. The Russians are f*cked.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is apparently a 15 person space company that wants to go to Mars in two years. Per the linked article, the founder says you don't have to be smart to do so, you just have to work hard.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/04/pythom-space-tests-its-rocket-with-questionable-safety-practices/

See how many safety issues you can spot in their test fire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GkzxeDQRj0

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is apparently a 15 person space company that wants to go to Mars in two years. Per the linked article, the founder says you don't have to be smart to do so, you just have to work hard.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/04/pythom-space-tests-its-rocket-with-questionable-safety-practices/

See how many safety issues you can spot in their test fire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GkzxeDQRj0

They went Elon one better, implementing both a fart noise *and* a giant stink cloud

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

That’s what NASA has been missing: the proper grindset

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Can your ego be big enough to escape Earth's gravity?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Head so far in the clouds it crosses the Karman line

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Apparently the guy behind that rocket has climbed Everest a bunch and I guess he thought "well space isn't that much farther away than the top of this mountain, it's gonna be easy!"

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

LifeSunDeath posted:

funny, while you were doing that, I was slammin' rear end.

I'd come back with something clever but it's absolutely true. I got laid twice in HS.

edit:

By popular demand posted:

Can your ego be big enough to escape Earth's gravity?

Let me check my notes...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hughes_(daredevil)

No.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Top of mt.Everest - 8,848.86 m
Top of atmosphere - 10,000,000 m

Yup, nearly there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

I'd come back with something clever but it's absolutely true. I got laid twice in HS.

Still, impressive if you were homeschooled

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

:drat:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:buddy:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

By popular demand posted:

Top of mt.Everest - 8,848.86 m
Top of atmosphere - 10,000,000 m

Yup, nearly there.

what if, and hear me out, what if we launched rockets from the top of everest!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

AceClown posted:

what if, and hear me out, what if we launched rockets from the top of everest!

Excellent idea. We can use balloons airships to carry the rockets from the factory to the launchpad!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ra6s51bjkg1r0uzl6.mp4

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

As a bearded weirdo-steampunk-blacksmith myself, I want that respirator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

350lbs.