Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

buttcrackmenace posted:

'71 :toot:

incidentally a terrible year for cars

'71 isnt super terrible yet. '73 is when everything starts sucking terribly but for a valid reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Large Testicles posted:

'71 isnt super terrible yet. '73 is when everything starts sucking terribly but for a valid reason

Agreed. It's also when GM made cars even bigger, and went to the unloved "colonnade" A-bodies. '71 is just when they started having to use SAE rather than gross HP ratings, so it looks like everything lost power that year.
1969 is a good year, because I was born, but style-wise I prefer 1970.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was born in 1980 and I can't think of a single good car that was made in that year.
Edit: It looks like the Quattro was released in 1980, so there's 1 at least.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 7, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was born in 1980 and I can't think of a single good car that was made in that year.

:colbert:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I’m aging gracefully, just like a 1983 Cadillac Cimmaron.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I'm from '76. That's right! MALAISE DAYS, BABY! The big three had to start actually caring about fuel efficiency and emissions but had no idea how to make a car that wasn't at least 3500 lbs empty. So it was year after year of giant but just utterly gutless garbage.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

AFewBricksShy posted:

RX7 was in its second year of production.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It looks good, but that 301 turbo was a dog. Neat idea, though. Basically the same as Buick's initial 3.8L turbo attempt: a draw-through turbo with a Quadrajet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Scratch Monkey posted:

I'm from '76. That's right! MALAISE DAYS, BABY! The big three had to start actually caring about fuel efficiency and emissions but had no idea how to make a car that wasn't at least 3500 lbs empty. So it was year after year of giant but just utterly gutless garbage.

:same:

My baby book had a section where my dad was supposed to put what the hottest car at the time of my birth was, and he wrote "Jensen Interceptor".

He's never been into cars and he disdains anything that isn't 60s-boxy. I have no idea where he picked that up.

I remember being like 12 and asking him what one looked like and he said "Sort of... like a ... bullet"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

No such thing as a perfectly good Ninja. I think they come with salvage titles right out of the factory.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm sorry I only seem to post Tesla stuff in here but lol

https://twitter.com/RyanZohoury/status/1512212226249314307?s=20&t=MxN6QgEzyVjbUjvoPm2xPg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

i've seen better paint on second-year design students' projects 😐

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Tesla

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nice to see the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust getting some market recognition finally

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Maybe it's because I'm looking at this on my phone so the pics are pretty small, but what's going on with the second one

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Maybe it's because I'm looking at this on my phone so the pics are pretty small, but what's going on with the second one

It's black paint that's so poorly done it's not just orange peel - it's definitely that, but it's also something else that looks like a repeated surface defect. It also has literally nozzle snot on parts of it (like when the paint nozzle is clogged and throws off chunks).

I could do a better paint job in sub zero temperatures with a used up piece of sandpaper and a half used can of krylon. And I'm a terrible painter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you look closely it actually appears like a thick tape applied over black trim.

Possibly black spray paint over packing tape.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

Possibly black spray paint over packing tape.

This could explain what I just couldn't quite figure out as a "paint prep problem" and is likely the right answer.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I am the bow hunter. I am the deer destroyer.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Nice to see the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust getting some market recognition finally

Don't compare the brilliant garage door bodywork of the i-Eagle Thrust with this disaster

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
I thought that all of the black area was lighting.

Seems like we're seeing reflections off of wavy plastic.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

If you look real close at the edges it looks like tape of some sort over it. The paint might be poo poo or it might be a thick plastic tape? Ppf? Clear something? Who knows. Definitely not a Tesla defender but I'm not 100% on that one.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Night Danger Moose posted:

If you look real close at the edges it looks like tape of some sort over it. The paint might be poo poo or it might be a thick plastic tape? Ppf? Clear something? Who knows. Definitely not a Tesla defender but I'm not 100% on that one.

That would be unacceptable on a SEMA show car, let alone a concept car from the “most valuable” car company in the world. That’s amateur hour poo poo and deserves to be roasted far and wide. How is it that people are lining up to buy $100k+ cars that have the build quality and quality control of early 2000s Hyundais? They’re all over my home town, like Camrys but somehow even more bland.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

charliemonster42 posted:

That would be unacceptable on a SEMA show car

Ummm.... yeah aboooout that......

(SEMA has a lot of very very very crap builds. That prototype Cybertruk aint even close to the disaster level of some of those "show" cars)

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I'll never set foot in a Tesla. I don't trust their build quality or the self driving bullshit.

My best friend bought one and asked if I wanted to go for a ride and I told him I'd rather not die in a lithium fire and he hasn't talked about his piece of poo poo car since.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Large Testicles posted:

I'll never set foot in a Tesla. I don't trust their build quality or the self driving bullshit.

My best friend bought one and asked if I wanted to go for a ride and I told him I'd rather not die in a lithium fire and he hasn't talked about his piece of poo poo car since.

EVs are less likely to catch fire than IC vehicles. Yes even Teslas. The reason you hear about every Tesla fire is because articles about Tesla bring a shitton more clicks than an article about a Camry catching fire.

I think its pretty sad that a garbage company like Tesla has established them self so much as THE company that builds EVs. When you tell someone that maybe they should get an EV because of high gas prices they're all like "I can't afford a Tesla!!!". Well get something else then! There are cheaper options you know! Even in the US!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Large Testicles posted:

Dude calm down.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Large Testicles posted:

It's one thing to never buy one, but refusing to get in one your friend owns is a little overboard.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Large Testicles posted:

Got his rear end!!!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My friend had a 3 briefly and the autopilot was constantly yanking the wheel in insane directions. I didn’t feel great riding in that thing and he got rid of it fairly quickly (although he goes through a ton of cars).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

david_a posted:

autopilot
My mom's Honda CR-V's lane following system sometimes picks up shadows on the road and tries to follow those instead of the actual lanes.

The most fun interaction that happens with regularity is sensing the shadows of the bridge above an underpass and steering the SUV toward the wall, especially since I'm in the right lane every time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

EVs are less likely to catch fire than IC vehicles.

Why is that? I'd love to know the answer.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yes even Teslas. The reason you hear about every Tesla fire is because articles about Tesla bring a shitton more clicks than an article about a Camry catching fire.

Perhaps, and I'm just some firefighter who has put out hundreds of cars over the years, it's because EV fires are nasty as gently caress just like all metal fires. Where I can put out a fully involved car fire in about 90 seconds with two dudes, 100 gallons of water and a few gallons of foam a fully involved ev fire is going to extend to the batteries. Cue needing a couple thousand gallons of water and several hours before it's safe enough to put on a tow truck.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My Tesla 3 has been fine, :shrug: I suppose someone had to get the golden ticket.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7GRjh44wH8

The last clip in this at 6:11. Giant rear end in a top hat escalates a fight from just flashing lights and horns to an actual fight while his kid is in the car and his wife pleads with him to stop.

He then supports it to a dashcam channel to show how right he was.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 11, 2022

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

Why is that? I'd love to know the answer.

Perhaps, and I'm just some firefighter who has put out hundreds of cars over the years, it's because EV fires are nasty as gently caress just like all metal fires. Where I can put out a fully involved car fire in about 90 seconds with two dudes, 100 gallons of water and a few gallons of foam a fully involved ev fire is going to extend to the batteries. Cue needing a couple thousand gallons of water and several hours before it's safe enough to put on a tow truck.

I'd guess several reasons. Some may skew the statistics a bit like the fact that EV tend to be newer cars so there aren't as much old rear end badly maintained beaters around like with IC cars (Although the Leaf and the Zoe have been sold for quite some time now and aren't exploding left and right).

I'd say with an EV its just much harder to actually get the fire started. There needs to be a manufacturing defect in the cells or mechanical damage to them. And even then Manufacturers are starting to build systems that can handle some cells starting to freak out and overheat without the whole car going up in flames. With an IC car you got all that piping and filters and pumps and if any of those hoses or connectors fail you start spraying flammable liquid everywhere. Especially with modern high pressure fuel system. Not saying that any fuel leak leads to a fire but if its in a bad spot poo poo goes south fast. Theres just a ton more points of failure on an IC car.
But yeah when en EV gets going it loving goes!

Kinda curios how Sodium-Ion batteries are gonna turn out. As far as i know those don't produce their own oxygen when overheating so the fire risk should be significantly lower even when the cells are compromised.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 11, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'd guess several reasons. Some may skew the statistics a bit like the fact that EV tend to be newer cars so there aren't as much old rear end badly maintained beaters around like with IC cars (Although the Leaf and the Zoe have been sold for quite some time now and aren't exploding left and right).

Yes. Newer. This is the reason.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'd say with an EV its just much harder to actually get the fire started. There needs to be a manufacturing defect in the cells or mechanical damage to them.

Exactly how do you think car fires usually start? By this, you seem to think EV fires start in the battery cells. While that happens, that's not USUALLY how it happens. Just like fuel tanks in ICE car's don't spontaneously explode.

Shai-Hulud posted:

And even then Manufacturers are starting to build systems that can handle some cells starting to freak out and overheat without the whole car going up in flames. With an IC car you got all that piping and filters and pumps and if any of those hoses or connectors fail you start spraying flammable liquid everywhere. Especially with modern high pressure fuel system. Not saying that any fuel leak leads to a fire but if its in a bad spot poo poo goes south fast. Theres just a ton more points of failure on an IC car.

Do you have any training or experience, or are you just posting what you think sounds right?

Because your feeling on this don't match up to my training nor my experience as a firefighter or fire investigator.

Stationary car fires usually start in the 12v electrical system. It's usually on older cars but not always. It's usually some manner of manufacturing defect often latent like a harness chaffing that takes a decade to finally fail enough to arc/heat and catch something around it (like carpeting) on fire.

For non-stationary ignitions it's also usually the 12v electrical system due to mechanical damage.

EVs have the same 12v electrical system.

Actual gasoline is not often a contributor. It may be a contributing factor/second point of ignition on things with both and electrical fault and fuel leak/spilling. The amount of fuel under the hood of a car, regardless of high pressure fuel systems or a mechanical pump from the 40s is minimal and causes no real difference. Gas vapors burn quickly and are simply gone. Fuel tanks rarely light off, even in fully involved car fires. Tanks are surprisingly well designed on modern cars. Some have problems. Sometimes impact damage just takes out an entire tank and you have nothing but fuel all over the road and it goes up in a big woof. But it's rare.

And back to EVs: when they are fully involved like this their batteries very often do go woof. And keep on burning. And strip oxygen from the water we are using to suppress the fire and burn even hotter to the point where we have to use hundreds of gallons per minute for an extended period of time to have a chance at reducing the temperature enough to stop the fire. This is very much like trying to put out magnesium fires. Old VW beetles were always a pain in the rear end. Higher end cars often still have magnesium wheels. Higher enter convertibles have magnesium structures in the tops. None of this is as bad or as much as an EV battery fire.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I suspect there’s a disconnect here. You as a firefighter are bringing your knowledge of ALL vehicle fires. Most laypersons probably assume fires start after accidents.

My layperson brain would assume an ICE vehicle is more likely to ignite after an accident but batteries also don’t like being punctured.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

Yes. Newer. This is the reason.

Exactly how do you think car fires usually start? By this, you seem to think EV fires start in the battery cells. While that happens, that's not USUALLY how it happens. Just like fuel tanks in ICE car's don't spontaneously explode.

Do you have any training or experience, or are you just posting what you think sounds right?

Because your feeling on this don't match up to my training nor my experience as a firefighter or fire investigator.

Stationary car fires usually start in the 12v electrical system. It's usually on older cars but not always. It's usually some manner of manufacturing defect often latent like a harness chaffing that takes a decade to finally fail enough to arc/heat and catch something around it (like carpeting) on fire.

For non-stationary ignitions it's also usually the 12v electrical system due to mechanical damage.

EVs have the same 12v electrical system.

Actual gasoline is not often a contributor. It may be a contributing factor/second point of ignition on things with both and electrical fault and fuel leak/spilling. The amount of fuel under the hood of a car, regardless of high pressure fuel systems or a mechanical pump from the 40s is minimal and causes no real difference. Gas vapors burn quickly and are simply gone. Fuel tanks rarely light off, even in fully involved car fires. Tanks are surprisingly well designed on modern cars. Some have problems. Sometimes impact damage just takes out an entire tank and you have nothing but fuel all over the road and it goes up in a big woof. But it's rare.

And back to EVs: when they are fully involved like this their batteries very often do go woof. And keep on burning. And strip oxygen from the water we are using to suppress the fire and burn even hotter to the point where we have to use hundreds of gallons per minute for an extended period of time to have a chance at reducing the temperature enough to stop the fire. This is very much like trying to put out magnesium fires. Old VW beetles were always a pain in the rear end. Higher end cars often still have magnesium wheels. Higher enter convertibles have magnesium structures in the tops. None of this is as bad or as much as an EV battery fire.

You are weirdly confrontational about this. Sorry about talking about car fires i guess?

The, i think often cited, NFPA study says a lot of fires are caused by mechanical malfunction and that flammable liquids are often the first thing that ignites. But that obviously for moving cars and not stationary ones. Yes it also says that older cars catch fire a lot more often. I don't think anyone has collected the data on older EVs about that. Stuff like Leafs, Zoes and Model S are approaching that 10 year mark where, i think, a lot of people let maintenance start to slide so it will be interesting to see how they fare.

I'm perfectly willing to be educated about this stuff from someone obviously knowledgeable. Maybe just try to sound less like a dick about it? We're all friends here trying to talk about burning down cars!

Oh also a question. Is it not relatively common for EV fires to start after a crash because of a damaged traction battery? Couldn't find anything about that really. I would have guessed that would be a pretty common case compared to the other car systems.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 11, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

You are weirdly confrontational about this. Sorry about talking about car fires i guess?

I'm weirdly confrontational when someone kramers in with completely false authoritative sounding statements such as:

Shai-Hulud posted:

EVs are less likely to catch fire than IC vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Motronic posted:

I'm weirdly confrontational when someone kramers in with completely false authoritative sounding statements such as:

So, what starts stationary EV car fires? If it's related to the 12V battery system, what is happening? A car in a front impact collision that bends the hood and shorts the positive and negative terminals would make sense to me, but I'm not sure what other situations would start one.

I know that early 2000s F150s had recalls for engine bay fires caused by the cruise control module, but I don't know the specifics.