Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

On one hand it would be horrible for Finland if that buildup actually amounted to anything other than sabre-rattling, but at this point I believe that Russia is going to have its poo poo pushed in again if they do try something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Zil posted:

Its a nice leisurely stroll in the forest until the snowbanks start speaking Finnish.

yeah but

THIS time the ragtag russian army is gonna fool everybody by invading in mid-June.

Take THAT you sauna-using NATIONALISTS with sensibly insulated homes and enviable bicycling infrastructure

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they realizing no one is buying it.

I guess we know where the Tuva Volksturrm is headed.

seriously though i would be shocked if they stupidly tried some kinda of military engagement there too.

Would they not be welcomed with flowers as liberators? :ohdear:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Waffle House posted:

As a result of the internet's ubiquity, I am becoming increasingly aware that the human cultural landscape is very, very uneven, and it's caused by not only language barriers but connection timeouts.

Nice av. You too?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Stoatbringer posted:

Would they not be welcomed with flowers as liberators? :ohdear:

something something bigger GDP country something

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Seems like rolling "gently caress off and die"-sized missiles to the borders of/actually in a country is a good reason for that country to also start drafting more men as soldiers to teach them how to use guns and be on the lookout for invaders, which is Probably A Bad Thing for the country trying to use said missiles, especially when there's already a clusterfuck of a war that has been going No Bueno more often than not for said country trying to sneak missiles into position, but what do I know

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Is it possible for a country to invade itself, without technically classifying it as a civil war, maybe because some intel got ludicrously hosed up?

Seems right up Russia's alleyway tbh

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Time to denazify those Finnish lands!

Seriously though, it seems like this would be an incredibly stupid move, in a war already full of incredibly stupid moves, to start poo poo with Finland. Would Russia really be that dumb or is it just sabre rattling? Though I'm not sure what sabre rattling would achieve here to be honest, but I'm not a strategic genius

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Yes Russia, open up a whole new war while your existing one remains inconclusive and your army is underperforming at a rate unprecedented in history.

This is going to go well for you.

Russian General: "How tough can Finland be? They're not even in NATO!"

Hydraulic Press Channel Guy, distantly: "And here weee gooo!"

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

EorayMel posted:

Seems like rolling "gently caress off and die"-sized missiles to the borders of/actually in a country is a good reason for that country to also start drafting more men as soldiers to teach them how to use guns and be on the lookout for invaders, which is Probably A Bad Thing for the country trying to use said missiles, especially when there's already a clusterfuck of a war that has been going No Bueno more often than not for said country trying to sneak missiles into position, but what do I know

there aren't many men left in Finland that haven't been properly trained to use guns, I guess we could train the rest :shrug:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Steadiman posted:

Seriously though, it seems like this would be an incredibly stupid move, in a war already full of incredibly stupid moves, to start poo poo with Finland. Would Russia really be that dumb or is it just sabre rattling? Though I'm not sure what sabre rattling would achieve here to be honest, but I'm not a strategic genius

That's what's so loving stupid about it. If it's just saber rattling it's loving dumb as it'll just push Finland even closer to NATO. If it's saber rattling with intent then it's even loving dumber because if Russia does attack they're gonna get their poo poo kicked in!

It's lose - lose-even-worse, so why do it at all???? It's baffling

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Steadiman posted:

They aren't going to do poo poo. They just need to make some noise to show how mad they are about NATO expansion.

Of course there's like a 1% change they've completley lost their marbles and will try to open a second front.

cyanidewolf posted:

there aren't many men left in Finland that haven't been properly trained to use guns, I guess we could train the rest :shrug:

Train the women too :getin:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Finland going 2 for 2 with the Spring War.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

mobby_6kl posted:

They aren't going to do poo poo. They just need to make some noise to show how mad they are about NATO expansion.

a LOT of people said this in early February.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Cthulu Carl posted:

Russian General: "How tough can Finland be? They're not even in NATO!"

Hydraulic Press Channel Guy, distantly: "And here weee gooo!"

Hydraulic Press Channel Guy also is a confirmed forgotten weapons fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZP9XH8bZs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Of course there's like a 1% change they've completley lost their marbles and will try to open a second front.

It is possible that Putin is so incredibly brain-broke he legitimately thinks he can conquest Finland, despite being bogged down in Ukraine, because he drank his own Kool aid about how strong Russia is.
I doubt it though. That's next-level insanity.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

EorayMel posted:

Putting all valuable assets WEST of Vyborg while doing public dickwaving during staging is also the worst possible place to do that, since your army's starting position is already in artillery and passive SIGINT range, on a relatively narrow stretch of land. So basically you start the war by getting each and every position where your Tuvan granpa's or gang-pressed conscripts had an active radar, cell phone, or radio shelled.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Steadiman posted:

Begining to suspect that Putin is looking for suicide by war because he is too big a coward to off himself.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I can't even imagine what sort of equipment Russia could even bring to use against Finland right now. Like nothing useful and if they don't have actual air coverage their poo poo will get pushed in so hard they will be wishing it was just 30 guys on ATVs blowing their tank columns up.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

KitConstantine posted:

It's lose - lose-even-worse, so why do it at all???? It's baffling

Since the beginning of this mess we've pretty much learned Putin is probably close to, if not on par, with being as loving dumb as Trump. That's pretty hard to do, but here we are.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Remember that infographic about Russia's super high tech cyberpunk hexagon armor?

Do any of those suits exist/did or do exist but then got pawned under the table by some officer needing more cigarettes, probably with the schematics?

That would really bring the room together

Philthy posted:

Since the beginning of this mess we've pretty much learned Putin is probably close to, if not on par, with being as loving dumb as Trump. That's pretty hard to do, but here we are.

I think he surpassed Trump in that department tbh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SRQ posted:

It is possible that Putin is so incredibly brain-broke he legitimately thinks he can conquest Finland, despite being bogged down in Ukraine, because he drank his own Kool aid about how strong Russia is.

yeah. i sorta think he might try to start poo poo on the border or some poo poo but idk. like i feel like put probably realizes its now or never "maybe if i open a second front, the west will back off" i assume he has enough men to try for it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

We already do that; women were cleared for unrestricted front line service ~15 (?) years ago. The military service is voluntary for them, though.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

putin really reminds me of Scar. Yeah, the bad guy from lion king, I’m not afraid to go there

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I can't believe the loving PPSh is a copy of the Finns' Suomi design. I've been playing videogames that credited the Russians for years, thank you to whoever posted that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomi_KP/-31

That's like my favorite firearm in the Nazi Zombies game mode. Fix it, MicroBlizVision :argh:

PS: Yes, this is correct:

Hasselblad posted:

Begining to suspect that Putin is looking for suicide by war because he is too big a coward to off himself.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

EorayMel posted:

Remember that infographic about Russia's super high tech cyberpunk hexagon armor?

Do any of those suits exist/did or do exist but then got pawned under the table by some officer needing more cigarettes, probably with the schematics?

That would really bring the room together

They, along with T-14 Armata variants and few other wunderweapons are parade showoff poo poo only.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Yeah that's what's giving me pause from fully believing the obvious saber rattling thing. Surely they must know it's completely pointless to bark loudly if everybody has seen what a shambles your war is and how insane it would be for you to start a second war on an entirely different front. Who's gonna believe they're a threat at this point if they're just huffing and puffing loudly? I mean I'd certainly not underestimate Russia's military power quite yet but they're not nearly as menacing anymore as their own mythology would want you to think.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

frumpykvetchbot posted:

yeah but

THIS time the ragtag russian army is gonna fool everybody by invading in mid-June.

Take THAT you sauna-using NATIONALISTS with sensibly insulated homes and enviable bicycling infrastructure

I’ve been to Finland in June. The mosquitoes are going to bleed them dry.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

"If we simply wage war on enough countries, NATO and/or THE WEST will simply donate all of their resources to defending the countries we attack, thus we only need to then attack One More Country after they altruism'd themselves into being stretched too thin and unarmed on the countries we attacked before, thus we can achieve our true objectives and usher 1,001 years of glorious russian rule. It is an arms race they simply cannot hope to win."

- Vladimir Putin, probably

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i sorta think he might try to start poo poo on the border or some poo poo but idk. like i feel like put probably realizes its now or never "maybe if i open a second front, the west will back off" i assume he has enough men to try for it.

Opening a second front by attacking a European Union member will surely get NATO and the EU to back off. Certainly.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Waffle House posted:

PS: Yes, this is correct:

Is it too early to speculate what would go down if he fell out a window? What would things look like, who/what would fill that vacuum? I mean, its not like NK where the next lunatic in the dynasty line would step in, right?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 11, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

EorayMel posted:

the missiles are large but they're full of hobby grade parts!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Opening a second front by attacking a European Union member will surely get NATO and the EU to back off. Certainly.

never said it was good thinking.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

EorayMel posted:

"If we simply wage war on enough countries, NATO and/or THE WEST will simply donate all of their resources to defending the countries we attack, thus we only need to then attack One More Country after they altruism'd themselves into being stretched too thin and unarmed on the countries we attacked before, thus we can achieve our true objectives and usher 1,001 years of glorious russian rule. It is an arms race they simply cannot hope to win."

- Vladimir Putin, probably

Yeah, and attack the one country that has been unblinkingly training troops and filling its caves and strategic positions with absolutely loving everything it has been able to afford for the last 70 years for this exact thing to happen, from this exact direction.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I don't like this gradual and wholly unsurprising escalation of arms no sir I don't like it one bit

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I know and I was one of them :downs: but

SRQ posted:

you can kind of see why they thought this would be possible with Ukraine, but they literally have 80% of active military resources committed there already. I don't think even russia has brain worms powerful enough to do it even if they think losing 500 tanks in a month is their operation "going according to plan"

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Zil posted:

Its a nice leisurely stroll in the forest until the snowbanks start speaking Finnish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_pVrIshxA

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, and attack the one country that has been unblinkingly training troops and filling its caves and strategic positions with absolutely loving everything it has been able to afford for the last 70 years for this exact thing to happen, from this exact direction.

So you admit the blood-thirsty Finns are expressly anti-Russian. And all that weapon build-up is basically the same as a first strike aggression.

So much de-nazification and de-militarization to do! Must poor old Uncle Volya do everything himself to right all the evils in this world?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

If Russia were to do anything it probably wouldn't be a full scale military assault, it'd be some missiles hitting Helsinki and/or sinking some ships. I suspect they would just try to punish Finland for daring to think of joining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tarkus posted:

If Russia were to do anything it probably wouldn't be a full scale military assault, it'd be some missiles hitting Helsinki and/or sinking some ships. I suspect they would just try to punish Finland for daring to think of joining.

Which would backfire incredibly most likely.