Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Taffer posted:

check my posts in the thread for lots of thoughts on the moonlander. It's overall a really good board but the thumb buttons aren't the best. If you wanna make heavy use of those (you should), might be worth looking at another board. I've got my eyes on the sofle v2 but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If you like lots of keys it's nice though. Really easy to have dedicated keys for whatever you want without having to go all-in on layers.

Ah great, I'll take a look! The little OLED screens are realistically certainly not useful but I'm into it.

E: realized I missed your most recent post about it, that's very helpful. I wonder how much realistically I would use the knobs versus a thumb cluster. I do see the argument for the latter, even if I like rotary encoders on principle.

Unsinkabear posted:

Any split board is an ergo board, but if you want Ortho and thumb clusters and poo poo then people seem pretty happy with the new Iris

I'll have to add some in stock notifications for it, ty!

foutre fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Electronaut posted:

A switch opener is ideal. Incase you haven’t seen/read, as you’ve found out the leafs on those are delicate and there is a specific technique to ensuring you don’t damage them when closing the switch up: compress the stem/spring before snapping the top down.

This is a good habit for taking apart every kind of switch - it makes the process a lot easier.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

ihatepants posted:

Zoom65 seems not great from early reviews. Check out this korean one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isE3RFyJpDQ&t=422s

The switches on the plate collide with the screws on the body of the base and can cause the switches themselves to pop off. That's such a huge design flaw.

I haven't seen that on any other reviews. I watched Taeha's build stream and while he had an initial issue getting screws in from not following the build guide, once it was built there weren't any issues and he was pressing pretty hard on them even without all the foam. He even said it was possibly too flexible, which is the exact opposite of that dude's "never got to feel the softness of the gasket"

The biggest complaints I've seen about that initial kit were the keycaps.

I agree the screw location looks pretty bad but if you have to force it really hard and the board doesn't flex nearly that much in normal typing then it's not really an issue, just a strange design. Maybe the dude had some unusually thin gaskets so it sat lower.

Regardless, I posted that pic to the IC thread on geekhack so we'll see if they respond. But who knows, maybe it's a giant piece of poo poo. I'll find out in a few months. :v

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nondescript Van posted:

I haven't seen that on any other reviews. I watched Taeha's build stream and while he had an initial issue getting screws in from not following the build guide, once it was built there weren't any issues and he was pressing pretty hard on them even without all the foam. He even said it was possibly too flexible, which is the exact opposite of that dude's "never got to feel the softness of the gasket"

The biggest complaints I've seen about that initial kit were the keycaps.

I agree the screw location looks pretty bad but if you have to force it really hard and the board doesn't flex nearly that much in normal typing then it's not really an issue, just a strange design. Maybe the dude had some unusually thin gaskets so it sat lower.

Regardless, I posted that pic to the IC thread on geekhack so we'll see if they respond. But who knows, maybe it's a giant piece of poo poo. I'll find out in a few months. :v

Yeah, I watched more stuff on the zoom65 and think I’ll order it tomorrow. Once I get the u4t’s in it, I won’t be tinkering with it. Going with the light blue, and finally found new XDA key caps I don’t think are clones that will look fly as gently caress.

These guys.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...arch-mainSearch

Are going to look great with this.

https://cannonkeys.com/collections/...=40791535485039

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Can someone recommend a good 100% sized keyboard, with onboard media control (next, previous, play, pause, volume, mute) with mechanical blue cherry keys, that has LEDs but not like obnoxious ones, and doesn't need proprietary fuckin' software to work? I have a razer synapse with "green" (blue) keys and I hate it so much.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The Electronaut posted:

A switch opener is ideal. Incase you haven’t seen/read, as you’ve found out the leafs on those are delicate and there is a specific technique to ensuring you don’t damage them when closing the switch up: compress the stem/spring before snapping the top down.

Yes, he made sure I knew that before selling to me. Unfortunately I have very large hands so it was difficult to extract my finger that was holding the stem down pre-top late enough in the process to be able to reach it from the top and continue pressing down.

That actually wasn't the issue though, the top point of the leaf (where the metal bends back down) that's supposed to slide up into the top piece of the switch housing kept snagging on the inner lip and bending itself into a right angle. This happened regardless of whether I successfully held the stem down or not. It seemed to be some kind of weird tolerance issue between the parts. Even after I determined what was happening and started watching and guiding that piece extremely carefully, I still had several more stubborn ones with a death wish that just absolutely would NOT stop catching no matter what I tried, until they successfully managed to trick me into thinking I was in the clear, pressing down, and turning them into a loving right angle. I finally got to a point where I could see it coming, stop, take things back apart and tug the metal loop ever-so-slightly outward, then put it all back together (now without snagging) and let the shape of the switch top push the metal loop bit into its correct position. There was no saving the bent ones though, after manually attempting to straighten them they basically functioned as a bobagum linear.

Is there such thing as a switch closer, to do this assembly part for you with precision as well?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Does a hotswap, split ergonomic board with a machined case exist that isn't the ergodox? Seems like most ergos are frankenstein-ish and the cases are usually just 2 3d printed layers.

Bonus points for via compatibility

E: looking sopecifically for a 65%

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 10, 2022

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Unsinkabear posted:

Assembled my Bobas today and damaged the tactile leaf on more than a few of the switch bases.

You could try posting on Mechmarket asking for spares. I have a few myself if you happen to be in Australia

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
How much do brand names matter when buying a keyboard? There's like a million retailers on Amazon, but I don't know if it's going to last. I'm basically trashing this Razer keyboard because I'm exhausted with wrestling with Razer Synapse.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

Does a hotswap, split ergonomic board with a machined case exist that isn't the ergodox? Seems like most ergos are frankenstein-ish and the cases are usually just 2 3d printed layers.

They sometimes appear as a group buy, like the Corne-ish Zen (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116368.0) or Manibus (https://blank.computer/). Also the Cornelius might run again one day, though it's not a split (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109741.0)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Screama posted:

You could try posting on Mechmarket asking for spares. I have a few myself if you happen to be in Australia

I'm in the US (unfortunately) but I appreciate the offer!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

E: looking sopecifically for a 65%

Do you mean metal or just a high quality case in general? These sites sell a few prebuilts with fancy cases. Not group buys so you won't have to wait.

https://falba.tech/
http://ergomech.store/shop

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

Can someone recommend a good 100% sized keyboard, with onboard media control (next, previous, play, pause, volume, mute) with mechanical blue cherry keys, that has LEDs but not like obnoxious ones, and doesn't need proprietary fuckin' software to work? I have a razer synapse with "green" (blue) keys and I hate it so much.

I think the GMMK Regular will fit your needs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Boba Pearl posted:

How much do brand names matter when buying a keyboard? There's like a million retailers on Amazon, but I don't know if it's going to last. I'm basically trashing this Razer keyboard because I'm exhausted with wrestling with Razer Synapse.

If it's well reviewed in 100+ reviews it's probably safe to buy

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Boba Pearl posted:

Maybe you could drop some of the brands/keebs that you're looking at? There are lots of keyboards that have mechanical blue switches and in the 100% layout, but I'm not so familiar with ones with dedicated media buttons.

Afaik these are some good brands to look out for that do pre-built keyboards: Leopold, Ducky, Varmilo, Royal Kludge (if you're on a budget). Also there's a lot of hype for Keychron but by all accounts their QC is spotty and their customer service is atrocious, so you'd really roll the dice with it. I'm not sure if any of their models come with media buttons though.

But also

Eric the Mauve posted:

If it's well reviewed in 100+ reviews it's probably safe to buy

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Aren't all Amazon results wildly unreliable, both good and bad? I don't think keyboards are immune to idiots dinging the score of good things they couldn't figure out, or manufacturers purchasing or bribing good reviews of sketchy things.

Those GK models that all have unadvertised hidden microphones in them, for example. Good reviews when last I looked. Would not recommend, though

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 10, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I realized I can hook my phone up to my computer and use that as for my media buttons and volume with touch portal. So I guess I only need a 65% keyboard, I was looking at this one right now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JCPN4TM/

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I don't have personal experience with Royal Kluge boards but everything that I've seen, (here, Reddit, YouTube vids) have said that RK boards are pretty good value for money. Hotswap board on something so cheap is neat. My two gripes would be is that it doesn't support VIA/QMK (this probably doesn't matter if you don't care for a lot of customization of function layers), and that it looks like it has north facing switches which potentially causes an issue with Cherry profile keycaps where they key caps on row 3 (your home row) collide with the switch housing.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Are there any other plastic TKLs comparable in quality to the NK87 EE? Looking for the same layout too if possible.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Someone a while back mentioned waiting for Ducky to release the One3 in white or black. I've been waiting for the same.

It looks like they're finally getting around to it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcNwrxEvdct/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It would be nice if Ducky started doing 75% at some point, they do every other form factor 60% and up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need to get a new keyboard for work, and I want a decent-to-nice one because the crappy Logitech they provided for me is utter garbage and makes me want to die when I use it (also no dip switches for macos input). I got the tenkeyless MK Disco in late 2017, and I'm considering just bringing that in to work and upgrading at home. It's Cherry browns, though, and work is an open plan office. Do people find Cherry browns disruptive in open offices?

Then there's the matter of upgrading at home. I'm kinda torn between getting a 100% or sticking with 80% and buying a separate numpad/macro pad for Final Fantasy purposes. Any recs for both kinds, as well as numpads/macro pads? Nothing all that much fancier than the MK Disco.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

incogneato posted:

Someone a while back mentioned waiting for Ducky to release the One3 in white or black. I've been waiting for the same.

It looks like they're finally getting around to it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcNwrxEvdct/

Might've been me, I like some kind of neutral color. I'm basically waiting on this release.

Except I don't want a mini, I want full size.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I need to get a new keyboard for work, and I want a decent-to-nice one because the crappy Logitech they provided for me is utter garbage and makes me want to die when I use it (also no dip switches for macos input). I got the tenkeyless MK Disco in late 2017, and I'm considering just bringing that in to work and upgrading at home. It's Cherry browns, though, and work is an open plan office. Do people find Cherry browns disruptive in open offices?

Then there's the matter of upgrading at home. I'm kinda torn between getting a 100% or sticking with 80% and buying a separate numpad/macro pad for Final Fantasy purposes. Any recs for both kinds, as well as numpads/macro pads? Nothing all that much fancier than the MK Disco.

Sound tolerance will always hinge on your neighbors and environment. My manager's MX Browns and my MX Clears were tolerable in our pod, but the entire floor was VERY open plan - rows of desks, if you wanted quiet you were expected to get a conference room - so there was no expectation of silence, and everyone had headphones. I'd say give it a shot but I'd be ready reverse course if anyone complained. Being able to use a mechanical keyboard at work isn't a hill I'm willing to die on professionally, though I don't have RSI or a condition that could change the calculus

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pollyanna posted:

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Sound tolerance will always hinge on your neighbors and environment. My manager's MX Browns and my MX Clears were tolerable in our pod, but the entire floor was VERY open plan - rows of desks, if you wanted quiet you were expected to get a conference room - so there was no expectation of silence, and everyone had headphones. I'd say give it a shot but I'd be ready reverse course if anyone complained. Being able to use a mechanical keyboard at work isn't a hill I'm willing to die on professionally, though I don't have RSI or a condition that could change the calculus

Said it better than I could have.

To add some content, when I was in an open-plan office it seemed like you could hear everyone type on the garbage-tier Dell keyboards we were supplied with. The people that had "upgraded" to the "ergonomic" keyboards were even louder than that, given that the hump in the "ergo" keyboard they were assigned seemed to just create an even bigger hollow space for the sound to resonate in. In this environment I chose to bring in a GMMK with Box Navies, and nobody cared. One of my friends a couple rows away said that they could tell when I was typing vs. other people because it sounded different, but that was about it.

I did worry about the noise for the first couple weeks but then I stopped thinking about it altogether. I had that keyboard in that open area for about a year or so before COVID sent us all home and I never made it back there. So, YMMV but it depends on what the environment is like now, what the expectations are, and all that. But since you already own the board, might as well take it in and see if anyone says anything or even seems to notice.

Edit: I got a quieter keyboard for my new office area, a Keychron in browns, since my BOX Navy board became my WFH board. Seems about the same noise if not less than the garbage-tier Dell keyboards we get by default. Joke's on me, though, nobody is ever in the shared office with me so I could have brought anything I wanted and nobody would be around to care.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 11, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just lol if you don't rock a Model M at work

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah you'd be surprised how loud some people can bang it out on your typical rubber dome office keyboard.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

rubber domes hurt my ears because they sound like poo poo

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Who makes a high quality keyboard with MX Blues that I can get a set of blank keycaps for?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I was interested in getting another keyboard setup and using Boba U4/U4Ts. However, they seem to be sold out everywhere in the US. But, I was reading around and saw that Durock shrimps compared favorably to them. Has anyone tried both? I have 3203 and g05 lube and switch films so if I need to use those to match or exceed U4s that’s not a problem.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

So I was interested in getting another keyboard setup and using Boba U4/U4Ts. However, they seem to be sold out everywhere in the US. But, I was reading around and saw that Durock shrimps compared favorably to them. Has anyone tried both? I have 3203 and g05 lube and switch films so if I need to use those to match or exceed U4s that’s not a problem.

https://stupidbulletstech.com/collections/accessories

small seller but I've ordered from him before and he's an official gazzew vendor

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The Royal Kludge ended up being perfect for my needs, thanks everyone.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Nondescript Van posted:

https://stupidbulletstech.com/collections/accessories

small seller but I've ordered from him before and he's an official gazzew vendor

This guy's website drives me nuts. His page for the clear top RGB U4s opens with a helpful quote from Gazzew about the slot vs no-slot versions of the clear Boba tops, and how they will affect RGB SMDs differently. The listing then does not allow you to choose which version to buy, nor does it tell you which one it his he's actually selling. Every time I checked, this dude was the only one who still had the clear top version in stock, and I imagine it's because people don't want to lay out fancy switch money without knowing what they're buying. He's the reason I decided to just buy the components from Gazzew and do it my drat self.

Edit: just saw a footnote under "housing style" about through-hole LED support, so they're with-slot. Way to make it hard to find, though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I was randomly browsing social media the other day and the Damapad popped up - a small mechanical keyboard (macro keyboard is the term I think?) that had a knob. Wasn't available here in Malaysia so I ended up looking around for alternatives to the same idea.

Anyway long story short I ended up at the in-stock Atlantis PS17 - basically a numpad that can be programmed with VIA, plus knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtogNiaMlkQ

Any caveats with this? Purpose-wise I just want a physical volume button (I change volume a lot, mostly as and when people stay outside my room and if my cat decides to nap next to me on the desk). For the buttons, I don't stream thaaaaat often but I figure these could be my "Streamdeck" replacement, and it could just be my normal numpad otherwise.

Alternatively, am open to other models that functionally do the same programmable buttons + knob thing, just to see if there are any designs I like better or features I hadn't considered.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 12, 2022

mes
Apr 28, 2006

fletcher posted:

Who makes a high quality keyboard with MX Blues that I can get a set of blank keycaps for?

I'll throw out there that I've owned a number of Leopold keyboards and have been happy with them. No programmability but they offer function layers for media keys and some basic DIP switch configuration to swap some of the keys around. Their layouts are standard and would be compatible with most key sets.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Artelier posted:

So I was randomly browsing social media the other day and the Damapad popped up - a small mechanical keyboard (macro keyboard is the term I think?) that had a knob. Wasn't available here in Malaysia so I ended up looking around for alternatives to the same idea.

Anyway long story short I ended up at the in-stock Atlantis PS17 - basically a numpad that can be programmed with VIA, plus knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtogNiaMlkQ

Any caveats with this? Purpose-wise I just want a physical volume button (I change volume a lot, mostly as and when people stay outside my room and if my cat decides to nap next to me on the desk). For the buttons, I don't stream thaaaaat often but I figure these could be my "Streamdeck" replacement, and it could just be my normal numpad otherwise.

Alternatively, am open to other models that functionally do the same programmable buttons + knob thing, just to see if there are any designs I like better or features I hadn't considered.

This thing is only $50? I want one for Zoom/Teams meetings.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Gay Retard posted:

This thing is only $50? I want one for Zoom/Teams meetings.

Where are you seeing that? I couldn't find it for sale in USD anywhere

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Unsinkabear posted:

Where are you seeing that? I couldn't find it for sale in USD anywhere

Here's an aliexpress link. Looks interesting.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Zarin posted:

Said it better than I could have.

To add some content, when I was in an open-plan office it seemed like you could hear everyone type on the garbage-tier Dell keyboards we were supplied with. The people that had "upgraded" to the "ergonomic" keyboards were even louder than that, given that the hump in the "ergo" keyboard they were assigned seemed to just create an even bigger hollow space for the sound to resonate in. In this environment I chose to bring in a GMMK with Box Navies, and nobody cared. One of my friends a couple rows away said that they could tell when I was typing vs. other people because it sounded different, but that was about it.

I did worry about the noise for the first couple weeks but then I stopped thinking about it altogether. I had that keyboard in that open area for about a year or so before COVID sent us all home and I never made it back there. So, YMMV but it depends on what the environment is like now, what the expectations are, and all that. But since you already own the board, might as well take it in and see if anyone says anything or even seems to notice.

Edit: I got a quieter keyboard for my new office area, a Keychron in browns, since my BOX Navy board became my WFH board. Seems about the same noise if not less than the garbage-tier Dell keyboards we get by default. Joke's on me, though, nobody is ever in the shared office with me so I could have brought anything I wanted and nobody would be around to care.

Thanks! Think I’ll bring in my MK Disco and see how it goes, then if it doesn’t work I’ll try out that Keychron (which hopefully comes with a C-to-A wired adapter, no Bluetooth allowed at work). If it does, then I might just get a K10 for myself…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

mes posted:

I'll throw out there that I've owned a number of Leopold keyboards and have been happy with them. No programmability but they offer function layers for media keys and some basic DIP switch configuration to swap some of the keys around. Their layouts are standard and would be compatible with most key sets.

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you know a good place to get a set of blank keycaps that would fit a Leopold?