Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Twitter is such a cesspit it manages to piss me off when I've not used it actively for like 3 year, oh want a better look at this picture? gently caress you you click on the twitter photo and then immediately get shoved to twitter.com with an unskippable log-in box right over the picture you wanted. Oh you clicked on a thread in the something awful app? Don't start reading it just yet, give it 20 seconds to load in a bunch of vaguely referential tweets which are on average about a twentieth as funny or interesting as the person posting them thought they were

anyway, this isn't a new opinion, i think the consensus on the internet or forums like this is twitter is really bad but do us a favour, if you still have the app, or the bookmark or even an account, just get rid of it, just go cold turkey, and uninstall it and pretend like it doesn't exist, its' not heroin, you'll have a rough 20 minutes before the next internet novelty distracts you and you'll find yourself emotionally and mentally much better off until you want to click on a 25 year old picture of a local club legend football player and twitter says "gently caress you, get an account"

You can just not click the clearly labeled Twitter threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Social media as a whole is kind of bonkers

It's catastrophically harmful at the personal and societal level and yet very few people will actually give it up. It makes it even worse that vulnerable populations seem to drink the poison harder than anyone else. I honestly think that social media is like the number two danger to the the human population behind climate change

In fifty years we're going to talk about social media the same way we talk about leaded gasoline or patent medicine today

Nah because it's a system of control, in the Deleuze sense

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

You can just not click the clearly labeled Twitter threads.

its literally this. people with no self control who doomscroll constantly rather than getting up from the magic box and doing something else

Anyone whining about twitter: Have you considered not interacting with it?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

unfortunately twitter makes people stupid and then they post here

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

alexandriao posted:

its literally this. people with no self control who doomscroll constantly rather than getting up from the magic box and doing something else

Anyone whining about twitter: Have you considered not interacting with it?

You can't help but interact with Twitter (and other social media outlets) if you're interacting with, say, these forums. I personally don't get most memes and Twitter things and TikTok is still an absolute anomaly for me. To me these don't have much to do with these fine forums I've now spent more than half my life on, but these forums are now just this little hidden niche thing on the Internet overshadowed by the massive leviathan of social media, and almost everyone here interacts with that more than this.

I don't click on Twitter threads because for the most part I just don't understand what is happening. Honestly, Twitter confuses the gently caress out of me. People seem to be able to read it, but the few times I click on a Twitter link I feel I'm thrown in the middle of a massive conversation with no context and no real idea of how the conversation flows from there. But people here use Twitter, they're going to share Twitter things, and if I want to not just be completely lost I kind of have to interact with it at least a little.

It's not about having "self control". It's about being part of the conversation you're part of.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hawowanlawow posted:

unfortunately twitter makes people stupid and then they post here

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

credburn posted:

You can't help but interact with Twitter (and other social media outlets) if you're interacting with, say, these forums. I personally don't get most memes and Twitter things and TikTok is still an absolute anomaly for me. To me these don't have much to do with these fine forums I've now spent more than half my life on, but these forums are now just this little hidden niche thing on the Internet overshadowed by the massive leviathan of social media, and almost everyone here interacts with that more than this.

I don't click on Twitter threads because for the most part I just don't understand what is happening. Honestly, Twitter confuses the gently caress out of me. People seem to be able to read it, but the few times I click on a Twitter link I feel I'm thrown in the middle of a massive conversation with no context and no real idea of how the conversation flows from there. But people here use Twitter, they're going to share Twitter things, and if I want to not just be completely lost I kind of have to interact with it at least a little.

It's not about having "self control". It's about being part of the conversation you're part of.

I dunno how you're able to maintain "twitter is a trashfire and all the content on there is worthless" and also "i dont understand anything anyone says on twitter"

surely the second precludes the first :P

and even if you are, im not sure how the first one doesn't also cancel out the second. why would you want to participate in a conversation if it's all just worthless?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It is insanely hosed up that France produces a bunch of action movies and boner comedies every year but the only French movies that get released in America are the lovely arty ones. District B13 is better than movie Jean Luke Godard ever made

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Which of these movies would you rather watch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0_7IXbI_1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USPxWRiFAIE

Guess which one is available in America

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It is insanely hosed up that France produces a bunch of action movies and boner comedies every year but the only French movies that get released in America are the lovely arty ones. District B13 is better than movie Jean Luke Godard ever made

I don't know what the hell District B13 is but I'm with you. I've given Godard enough chances to prove himself, and each time his films come up short.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know what the hell District B13 is but I'm with you. I've given Godard enough chances to prove himself, and each time his films come up short.

It’s a dystopian sci-fi thing where France walled off the ghettos but then the mob ruler of one of the walled ghettos gets his hands on a nuclear missile so a cop who knows parkour has to work together with a parkour criminal to get the nuke back and beat the bad guys with parkour moves.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

It’s a dystopian sci-fi thing where France walled off the ghettos but then the mob ruler of one of the walled ghettos gets his hands on a nuclear missile so a cop who knows parkour has to work together with a parkour criminal to get the nuke back and beat the bad guys with parkour moves.

This is really underselling the amazing parkour action.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PHUO: Godard is a pretty poo poo director. He lacks faith in his own abilities to put a coherent picture on screen, so he retreated into meaningless abstractions and distractions in the guise of "Avant-garde" to insulate himself from criticism.

Aside from his shot composition, which is impressive, his actual craft is sophomoric at best. And the philosophy imbued in his films is less than even that. The most absolutely trite Marxists juxtapositions paired with some half understood Sarte. I've seen more interesting criticism in twitter screen caps. Dudes been coasting off Breathless for decades. Once people start revising their opinions on the movement Truffaut and Varda will be the figures people study not Godard

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

PHUO: Godard is a pretty poo poo director. He lacks faith in his own abilities to put a coherent picture on screen, so he retreated into meaningless abstractions and distractions in the guise of "Avant-garde" to insulate himself from criticism.

Aside from his shot composition, which is impressive, his actual craft is sophomoric at best. And the philosophy imbued in his films is less than even that. The most absolutely trite Marxists juxtapositions paired with some half understood Sarte. I've seen more interesting criticism in twitter screen caps. Dudes been coasting off Breathless for decades. Once people start revising their opinions on the movement Truffaut and Varda will be the figures people study not Godard

Every time I've watched one of his movies I've gotten a very powerful sense that the guy is an rear end in a top hat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Watching movies and thinking about directors. What a life.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hitchcock was fat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hitchcock was fat.

Psycho absolutely holds up even if you know the twist. It's so well done that at the beginning even though I fully knew what was going to happen I still found myself rooting for this big city lady in over her head and this nebbishy small town hotel clerk to hit it off.

The Birds has no birds until literally 50 minutes into the movie.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Disco Pope posted:

In the UK thing, I feel like the tea thing has become inverted, with the middle-class liking their Tassimos and named coffees from coffee shops or young professionals on the go but a basic dark brown tea with sugar in a mug being the preserve of tradesman or with a bacon roll in a cheap cafe.

There are sleepy time teas and herbal teas and stuff, but I feel those are categorically different to a cup of Tetley with a splash of milk and one sugar in a Sports Direct mug.

God drat say what you want about Americans but British people literally seem like the most class obsessed people on the planet.

Just like drink caffeine. Its cool and addictive, but honestly good. Jesus.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

yeah i never liked him either. always feels like i could be watching bunuel or bergman or even fellini or something instead if i wanted that kind of movie

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my wife does movie stuff and always puts on godard and i watch it with one eye and complain about the lack of car chases and helicopter scenes

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FishBulbia posted:

God drat say what you want about Americans but British people literally seem like the most class obsessed people on the planet.

Class is an inescapable part of life everywhere, to ignore it is silly as it still makes up a lot of our lives.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shibawanko posted:

my wife does movie stuff and always puts on godard and i watch it with one eye and complain about the lack of car chases and helicopter scenes

Me, watching My Dinner With Andre: “so when are they going to start the car chase?”

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

they think if they mention the word class it makes them sound smart

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

they think if they mention the word class it makes them sound smart

i smell middle class off you

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thats an insult

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Wait so being poor or rich is good but in between is bad

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

alexandriao posted:

i smell middle class off you

nobody cares

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Josef bugman posted:

Class is an inescapable part of life everywhere, to ignore it is silly as it still makes up a lot of our lives.

Yeah but products which essentially cost the same price are not a good way of judging class.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

FishBulbia posted:

Yeah but products which essentially cost the same price are not a good way of judging class.

Why are there coffee shops and not tea shops? Why are coffee and tea marketed differently? Why do some professions have coffee breaks and others tea breaks?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Some of you guys sound like the kids from La Chinoise . Your constant need to try to turn everything into some deep seated class conflict serves to do nothing but distract you from actual issues that matter to actual people

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

let's take the infinite bounty of all of human creative enterprise and reduce it to this one thing

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Disco Pope posted:

Why are there coffee shops and not tea shops? Why are coffee and tea marketed differently? Why do some professions have coffee breaks and others tea breaks?

most cafes sell both and professions either have breaks or are salaried.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

let's take the infinite bounty of all of human creative enterprise and reduce it to this one thing

Makes it easier, gotta admit that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There are only a handful of movies made before 1980 that are worth watching.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's only a handful made after 1980 worth watching actually

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Jaws

Gaius Marius posted:

Jaws 3

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jaws, the exorcist, and Good bad and the ugly were the only ones i had on my list

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Honestly, I'd take most of the movies made before 1980 to most of the movies made after 2000, with all the ADHD blockbusters and CGI.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No point in seeing Jaws when you can watch Shark Attack 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-OQfjfSVY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Gaius Marius posted:

So you both agree that 1980 was a year of cinema gold?

Huh, Empire Strikes Back, The Shining, Flash Gordon, Blues Brothers, Airplane!, Can't Stop The Music, Smokey and the Bandit 2 - pretty good year for movies.