Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I just spun the DADAWAH album from earlier and wanted to say it is indeed great. Thank you for sharing, goons. I think I'll get "Who is William Onyeabor?" next time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sporklift posted:

Here is some good old fashioned dumb vinyl poo poo.

https://vinylblade.com/product

I dig it.

I've tried two browsers and that page just loads a logo that doesn't do anything and the scrollbar goes up and down to no avail

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

Is there a website that just tells you when new records are released on vinyl? Now that new releases are almost completely decoupled from when they’re pressed it’s a pain to try and figure out when stuff I want is actually coming out aside from following artists on Twitter and getting lucky seeing the announcements. Does Discogs have something like that?

I just ordered an album from last summer and an album from last fall this week and the only reason I knew to was because I saw a tweet for the former and thought “man I’m still pissed that Silk Sonic isn’t on vinyl yet” and googled to see if there were any announcements for the latter

I just use Newbury Comics new release listings.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

I've tried two browsers and that page just loads a logo that doesn't do anything and the scrollbar goes up and down to no avail

I had it do that on mobile too. If I scrolled hard enough I could tell there's something under that splash screen with info, but god only knows what it is.

Going through CDs today and I have sinned, for I like Expose- Exposure more than Pointer Sisters- Break Out. I think it's because of the synths tbh.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this could also go in stupid music poo poo because it's stupid

this is the cheapest vinyl copy of siamese dream (any pressing) on discogs

and it's still a hundo

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

hexwren posted:

Turbinosamente posted:

I had it do that on mobile too. If I scrolled hard enough I could tell there's something under that splash screen with info, but god only knows what it is.

Glad it wasn't just me. Just tried it on desktop comp and same thing, lol (Firefox.)

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Gonna blame this one on Wraith. Picked up this Broadcast release today and it's real fuckin good.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

My favorite bands newest record came in the mail today. Got the four side print long sleeve coming too.

This is Rule 36 by Intercourse.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

hexwren posted:

Oh sorry. Guess the auction ended and they got rid of the page. Too bad it really showed off the piece.

https://www.complex.com/music/the-weeknd-mschf-playable-out-of-time-saw-blade-record-collaboration

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Went to Goodwill today and saw price signs that all records were now $4 each. Good luck unloading all those white gospel and 1960s Christmas records with that price point, guys.

…I did find an OG pressing of the Spartacus soundtrack which I begrudgingly accepted $4 was an ok price for it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Pretty decent haul from the record show in GB today

middle right is Trust by Elvis Costello, it was a free toss-in because it didn't have a jacket so I made one myself :)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

CaptainBeefart posted:

Gonna blame this one on Wraith. Picked up this Broadcast release today and it's real fuckin good.

hell yes broadcast owns and this little reissue/release series is great

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I bought a box of records at an auction this weekend for cheap. There was about 15 keepers, but nothing notable except this sweet K-Tel cover art.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

It's me: the guy that spent too much money on that Tool boxset.

Hilariously it doesn't even fit on my record shelf since I have back spacers. I have no idea what the gently caress I'm going to do with this thing.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

JAMOOOL posted:

Pretty decent haul from the record show in GB today

middle right is Trust by Elvis Costello, it was a free toss-in because it didn't have a jacket so I made one myself :)

I don't know if it's good or bad that I recognized Trust immediately (I really dig that album), but either way you did an awesome job on that!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ralf und florian is one of my favorite electronic albums full-stop so that's a solid pull right there

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
lol thanks, actually not the first time I've had to do that :)

the guy with the R&F had a lot of insane rarities, including some original Can 12"s and Amon Duul IIs, plus first press VdGG stuff and some Yes bootlegs I've never seen. dude has an ELOY license plate if you wanna know what level he was on. there was a lot of stuff I really wanted but had to limit myself to just that one, which he listed at $50 but gave to me for $40, perhaps because I was willing to have a 15 minute conversation about Peter Hammill with him

that seems to be common at record shows around here, after you pick out what you want they always give you a deal, even if you don't try to haggle. but if you ever pick out like $70 worth of stuff and say "I'll give you $50 for all 3" there is like a 99% chance they say yes

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I went to a record store on Saturday in a neighboring town. I'd never been there, never even heard of it. The guy had an entire wall of vintage receivers and turntables, and several shelves of speakers.

I ended up picking up Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin after Sin (both Judas Priest) and Spectres (Blue Oyster Cult). My wife got a few albums too, and a couple of CDs.

The big ticket item I bought, though, were a pair of Advent speakers. I've had some early nineties Pioneers (CS-G203s) that I got cheap off of Craigslist, but after doing some research have found out that most Pioneer speakers are actually garbage. The good ones (HPMs) are even considered overrated by many. Seeing as that was the weak spot in my system, I discussed what I was looking for with the owner and he steered me towards a few choices and let me listen to them. They're refoamed and they sound pretty fantastic. A lot less muddy and bassy than the Pioneers (though it might help that they're not on the ground).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Got some weens

other disc is blue

bootleg cause real one is way too expensive

I have a The Pod shaped hole in my heart.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife just got in on the whole vinyl trend now. She got a very cheap player for the office, and bought herself her first two (non-Christmas) records. Knowing how we tend to be collectors, I can see this turning into a problem.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

IUG posted:

My wife just got in on the whole vinyl trend now. She got a very cheap player for the office, and bought herself her first two (non-Christmas) records. Knowing how we tend to be collectors, I can see this turning into a problem.

Oh let me tell you...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

IUG posted:

Throw away your other collections. Problem solved

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

CatBlack posted:

Got some weens

other disc is blue

I have that PG too, I've heard though that it isn't actually a bootleg? idk either way it sounds pretty good, a lot better than the Plains I keep accidentally buying

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CatBlack posted:

Got some weens

other disc is blue

I really regret not buying The Pod.

So. Um. Where might one aquire. Bootleg Pure Guava?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

JAMOOOL posted:

I have that PG too, I've heard though that it isn't actually a bootleg? idk either way it sounds pretty good, a lot better than the Plains I keep accidentally buying

I'm pretty sure it's a bootleg because it has a similar sticker to my other death grips bootleg. But yeah, it sounds perfect and better than the plain god ween satan i have.

sporklift posted:

I really regret not buying The Pod.

So. Um. Where might one aquire. Bootleg Pure Guava?

heres 2 stores I know of:
https://lunchboxrecords.com/products/ween-pure-guava-yellow-lp?_pos=1&_sid=0c7977978&_ss=r
https://rollinrecs.com/products/ween-pure-guava?_pos=1&_sid=adb675e78&_ss=r

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I take it Ween are not like King Gizzard who occasionally endorse bootlegs for some albums?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

I take it Ween are not like King Gizzard who occasionally endorse bootlegs for some albums?

I really don't know what their deal is. They seem to be fine with live bootlegs at least. Their merch store is always out of stock. I think they just really hate the business side of things which is kinda weird because they aren't rolling in the cash and they have a rabid fan base that would probably buy official stuff. All my ween stickers and shirts have been bootlegs because they don't offer poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

I really don't know what their deal is. They seem to be fine with live bootlegs at least. Their merch store is always out of stock. I think they just really hate the business side of things which is kinda weird because they aren't rolling in the cash and they have a rabid fan base that would probably buy official stuff. All my ween stickers and shirts have been bootlegs because they don't offer poo poo.

I don’t think they’ve ever had great management and they were probably obnoxious to deal with anyways.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Schnitzel Records puts out the official Ween reissues if you wanna go official, but I don't think any of 'em are currently in print. They were hyping an official Chocolate and Cheese probaby at least a year ago, but nothing's come of it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I startled collecting vinyl records at the start of the pandemic. Today I finally finished cataloguing it on discogs, and was shocked to see that I have nearly 80 records by now. I thought that had to be a mistake, maybe they were counting each disc of multidisc albums, like Convocations by Sufjan Stevens is 5 discs. Surely they counted that as 5 instead of 1? So I counted each album one by one. Nope, I indeed do have nearly 80 records. Not sure how that happened. It's making me realize how many my friends have where their collection fills an entire wall. I'm on 1.5 of those square Ikea shelves.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

I startled collecting vinyl records at the start of the pandemic. Today I finally finished cataloguing it on discogs, and was shocked to see that I have nearly 80 records by now. I thought that had to be a mistake, maybe they were counting each disc of multidisc albums, like Convocations by Sufjan Stevens is 5 discs. Surely they counted that as 5 instead of 1? So I counted each album one by one. Nope, I indeed do have nearly 80 records. Not sure how that happened. It's making me realize how many my friends have where their collection fills an entire wall. I'm on 1.5 of those square Ikea shelves.

Just wait until you have so many that you smell them the minute you walk in the door. And they’re in the basement.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Just wait until you have so many that you smell them the minute you walk in the door. And they’re in the basement.

One time my brother told me that my bedroom smells like a library.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

In other news, after having not been to record stores in over two years I finally did that and I went slightly overboard.

These were not part of that bonanza but I got them recently and can't remember if I posted them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Awww man a Screaming Females record, I should explore their back catalogue more.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

sporklift posted:

gently caress.

https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/third-man-records-announces-vault-package-52-sleep-dopesmoker

And by gently caress I mean I absolutely don't need this but I totally want it.

From a couple pages back, but drat if I couldn't wait to sign up to the vault again to get this. Because I absolutely need another copy of this, ha.

Can someone remind me the best way to cancel my Vault sub to not get pinged for the next quarterly package? Should I wait until after the cutoff for Sleep to do so? Or can I just cancel now?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Question, how do you guys deal with some records being pushed back when you reinsert a record onto the shelf? I'm thinking of just getting some wood and gluing it to the back of the shelf to keep records from being pushed back.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Nihonniboku posted:

Question, how do you guys deal with some records being pushed back when you reinsert a record onto the shelf? I'm thinking of just getting some wood and gluing it to the back of the shelf to keep records from being pushed back.

Paint stir sticks from the hardware store are a common cheap/free solution.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

sporklift posted:

Paint stir sticks from the hardware store are a common cheap/free solution.

That's a good idea, thanks. Here I was ready to go to Home Depot and ask them to cut some wood for me or something.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Nihonniboku posted:

That's a good idea, thanks. Here I was ready to go to Home Depot and ask them to cut some wood for me or something.

I used 1x1 wood and screwed it in place but I have heard people using the paint sticks or dowels and just gluing or taping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How would I find a place to tune up my player? I suspect that my Audio Techinca LP-60 is paying slightly too fast (and the manual doesn’t show any kind of calibration adjustments). I used some iOS app that said it was playing at 34/46 rpm, and one 7” I ripped to my computer came out a few seconds shorter than the MP3 download of the same song.