Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Are the disks SAS? Cause you won't be able to use your onboard sata ports for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I finally did it. I have more hard drive space than I know what to do with. I've... made it...
Eh, I give it about a month.

Aware posted:

Are the disks SAS? Cause you won't be able to use your onboard sata ports for that.
You won't even be able to plug a SAS disk into a SATA-only compatible socket - there's keying that prevents that without considerable violence.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I finally did it. I have more hard drive space than I know what to do with. I've... made it...

Time to upgrade all your Linux ISOs to 4k remuxes!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Eh, I give it about a month.

Last time I successfully petitioned my wife for a new drive I was like "this should last me like another year!" and then I found myself pleading the case for another drive 3 months later.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

This is probably as good a place as any to ask - I'm running wireguard as a client on my TrueNAS box in order to provide access to it when I'm out and about. (This is documented on the official website so I'm taking it as read that this is a sanctioned use-case.) I'm behind a double-NAT setup in my current building which means that my prior solution of using the OpenVPN server built into my router no longer works, so Wireguard seemed like the most elegant solution. I have the server set up on a VPS and most of my devices including the NAS connecting to it as clients - it works great!

However, jails do that weird IP-spoofing thing where they all appear as their own network interface with its own IP address, which means I can't access plugins through the VPN. Is there a way to access them despite this? I assume installing a separate instance of Wireguard in each jail works, but that seems like a horrible redundant nightmare. It would be nice if there were some networking wizardry that wasn't also a horrible nightmare. Any ideas?

This is all very much a nice-to-have but it's been fun setting it up and would like to see whether it can completely deliver.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best way to move all my Synology data to a new Synology NAS? Just yank out the drives and put them into the new one? Some other method?

The NAS runs a bunch of Docker containers so I'd prefer if it wasn't a huge fuckup trying to set things up again.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the best way to move all my Synology data to a new Synology NAS? Just yank out the drives and put them into the new one? Some other method?

The NAS runs a bunch of Docker containers so I'd prefer if it wasn't a huge fuckup trying to set things up again.

Just putting them in the new NAS should work. That is a big selling point of the Synology line. I have done it with replacement units after one died without any hiccups. I forget, but there may be some network and/or security settings you have to put back manually like 2FA. Would still recommend a backup prior to moving them though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Maybe someone in the NAS thread can help me here.

We have a NAS at work from Small Tree. My biggest problem right now is I need to clear about 40TB worth of files from it. But I cannot just hit delete in MacOS and have the files go away.

If I hit delete on a folder, the folder will eventually give me some sort of error saying I cannot delete it. It's either something like "The operation can't be completed because the item ___ is in use" or an error about a file in the folder being locked. But that is BS, because I can keep deleting the folder, and eventually the folder will be deleted. It may take 5 or 6 times for a folder with 1000 items in it to delete, but it will delete.

So how can I fix this? The process of deleting files is just tedious, and it's a matter of hitting delete, waiting 10 seconds for an error, and hitting delete again. It has taken me about an hour to delete about 5TB worth of stuff, and I know there has to be a better way

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Astro7x posted:

We have a NAS at work from Small Tree. My biggest problem right now is I need to clear about 40TB worth of files from it. But I cannot just hit delete in MacOS and have the files go away.

If I hit delete on a folder, the folder will eventually give me some sort of error saying I cannot delete it. It's either something like "The operation can't be completed because the item ___ is in use" or an error about a file in the folder being locked. But that is BS, because I can keep deleting the folder, and eventually the folder will be deleted. It may take 5 or 6 times for a folder with 1000 items in it to delete, but it will delete.

Try coming in early in the morning before everyone else gets there, so the computer you're working on is the only on turned on and connected to the NAS? Hypothesis for that would be that these temporary locks are just from other PCs briefly touching the NAS to index stuff and that's why they clear the second time.

Alternately. does the NAS have SSH access, or a management UI that allows you to do operations directly? I'd answer that question for myself, but the result of looking up anything on their Knowledge Base is this:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Klyith posted:

Try coming in early in the morning before everyone else gets there, so the computer you're working on is the only on turned on and connected to the NAS? Hypothesis for that would be that these temporary locks are just from other PCs briefly touching the NAS to index stuff and that's why they clear the second time.

Alternately. does the NAS have SSH access, or a management UI that allows you to do operations directly? I'd answer that question for myself, but the result of looking up anything on their Knowledge Base is this:

Oh yeah, the link to the user manuals within my admin panel lead to the same broken page. Small Tree has great tech support, but at $250 for 2 hours of support time, it's a bit steep for issues like this that I can generally google and figure out myself.

Maybe next weekend I'll disconnect all the computers except one remotely and give that a try.

I actually had some success deleting files from Terminal using the "rm -rf" command, but I am getting "invalid argument" on some files that do not want to delete. Blah...

It's kind of working, but it's SLOW, and the NAS is running slow just trying to open folders while this terminal process is going on in the background. So I definitely don't want to hit delete on all these folders before work one day and then have it prevent everyone from working the rest of the day. I may try doing this again Friday evening and see if it resolves itself by Monday morning.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Astro7x posted:

Oh yeah, the link to the user manuals within my admin panel lead to the same broken page. Small Tree has great tech support, but at $250 for 2 hours of support time, it's a bit steep for issues like this that I can generally google and figure out myself.

Maybe next weekend I'll disconnect all the computers except one remotely and give that a try.

I actually had some success deleting files from Terminal using the "rm -rf" command, but I am getting "invalid argument" on some files that do not want to delete. Blah...

It's kind of working, but it's SLOW, and the NAS is running slow just trying to open folders while this terminal process is going on in the background. So I definitely don't want to hit delete on all these folders before work one day and then have it prevent everyone from working the rest of the day. I may try doing this again Friday evening and see if it resolves itself by Monday morning.

(obligatory "please make sure you have recent+tested backups before poking at it further" post)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I looked at the OP but it's 10 years old. Thanks to sleep deprivation I now have a 14TB external drive. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but I know I want to do backups of both my computers. Not sure if the drive is shuckable, what are my options for getting this accessible from the network? Are raspberry pis up to OpenNAS or something at this point? I know ideally I'd have a RAID setup but I am not going to buy another drive, I understand this won't be very resilient.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I looked at the OP but it's 10 years old. Thanks to sleep deprivation I now have a 14TB external drive. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but I know I want to do backups of both my computers. Not sure if the drive is shuckable, what are my options for getting this accessible from the network? Are raspberry pis up to OpenNAS or something at this point? I know ideally I'd have a RAID setup but I am not going to buy another drive, I understand this won't be very resilient.

Do you have any computer that’s always on and connected to the network?

A raspberry pi could share this as a samba share that you mount on your other devices and use as a backup destination, but I don’t think it would be worthwhile to run anything other than raspbian lite for that. It would also be pretty slow, a friend had an RPi 4 doing file server duty like that over Ethernet and it topped out at like 35MB/s. Much better to just share that drive from a desktop or possibly even a newer router.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

How does Ubuntu compare to FreeBSD for ZoL performance these days? Are there additional resource or performance overheads because of the GPL flag limiting direct integration? I think I remember reading that ZFS might have to duplicate some kernel buffers, etc.

If you want to go the “san” route and have iSCSI (with mirrored optane slogs) or nfs, piped over to another application host (ideally Linux) with direct-attach infiniband qdr, does FreeBSD have any advantages still in performance there over Linux? Supposedly they did have a good network stack which is why Netflix liked them iirc?

Probably nothing that is consumer relevant of course, just curious.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Who is good for IPMI and bios stuff on their server boards? Supermicro had some janky poo poo on my X11H C236 board. I had real trouble getting it to boot off nvme and it took some weird obscure unrelated setting (“bmc dma fix”). I guessed it based on some description of that as a dma error and that being an option?

I dunno if the grass is any greener at Asrock or anywhere else. Seems like they might have more experience writing bios, but idk. It’s true at least supermicro’s config poo poo is crazy deep though, there’s all kinds of random hacks and toggles thrust right at you. And it’s a reasonably modern html5 client.

I have an Asus X99 WS/IPMI and the IPMI is truly deplorable, it needs JNLP from ancient Java versions / etc because web applets are 100% dead. I could not get any of the compatibility layers to work and finally I surrendered and installed XP and an ancient Java version in a vm. Download a one time use applet launcher file every time you want to connect. Sigh. I assume they have upgraded on newer hardware but lol.

You can put 256GB of used turbo lovely 2133 32GB LRDIMMs on it for like $500 though lol, and homelab poo poo is often more memory hungry than anything. And those WS boards (both asus and Asrock make similar boards) also come with tons of SATA for your shucking. And the 1660v3 is multiplier unlocked and ram unlocked, so you can punch it up to 4 GHz and 3000 speed rdimms on it if you want lol.

You can actually get the bones of a (admittedly low end) 256gb ram build under $900 with mobo and cpu and memory which is neat. I’ve got the cpu and mobo, I’d just need ram really…

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 8, 2022

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

If/when raspberry pis become available again, there's Pi-KVM. It's all HTML5, no Java webstart, and the software stack is fully open source.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

How does Ubuntu compare to FreeBSD for ZoL performance these days? Are there additional resource or performance overheads because of the GPL flag limiting direct integration? I think I remember reading that ZFS might have to duplicate some kernel buffers, etc.

If you want to go the “san” route and have iSCSI (with mirrored optane slogs) or nfs, piped over to another application host (ideally Linux) with direct-attach infiniband qdr, does FreeBSD have any advantages still in performance there over Linux? Supposedly they did have a good network stack which is why Netflix liked them iirc?

Probably nothing that is consumer relevant of course, just curious.
I have absolutely no idea, as I don't use any Linux whatsoever.
Having said that, I can't imagine there'd be much if any difference.

GPL potentially being incompatible with CDDL means that OpenZFS (not ZoL, that doesn't exist anymore) developers have to implement all sorts of extra code for offloading cryptography primitives to AES-NI on FreeBSD all that's needed is to use OpenCrypto which in turn can hand it off to either aesni(4), qat(4), or something else.
This, in turn, means there's a lot more code-reuse - and maybe more importantly, if there's a bugfix, feature addition or speed-up being implemented, ZFS will automatically get it as well, rather than the OpenZFS developers having to make it themselves.

For iSCSI, you have two options. There's either iser(8) which get your RDMA in case your NIC supports that (basically only Chelsio and maybe Mellanox NICs, I think?), or there's the ctld(8) which is the CAM target layer daemon, which makes use of the CAM implementation of SCSI with a bit of extra code to be able to handle the internet part of iSCSI - which is capable of multi-gigabits-per-second bandwidth even without RDMA (go look through my post history ITT for benchmarks, if you're curious).

Paul MaudDib posted:

Who is good for IPMI and bios stuff on their server boards? Supermicro had some janky poo poo on my X11H C236 board. I had real trouble getting it to boot off nvme and it took some weird obscure unrelated setting (“bmc dma fix”). I guessed it based on some description of that as a dma error and that being an option?

I dunno if the grass is any greener at Asrock or anywhere else. Seems like they might have more experience writing bios, but idk. It’s true at least supermicro’s config poo poo is crazy deep though, there’s all kinds of random hacks and toggles thrust right at you. And it’s a reasonably modern html5 client.

I have an Asus X99 WS/IPMI and the IPMI is truly deplorable, it needs JNLP from ancient Java versions / etc because web applets are 100% dead. I could not get any of the compatibility layers to work and finally I surrendered and installed XP and an ancient Java version in a vm. Download a one time use applet launcher file every time you want to connect. Sigh. I assume they have upgraded on newer hardware but lol.

You can put 256GB of used turbo lovely 2133 32GB LRDIMMs on it for like $500 though lol, and homelab poo poo is often more memory hungry than anything. And those WS boards (both asus and Asrock make similar boards) also come with tons of SATA for your shucking. And the 1660v3 is multiplier unlocked and ram unlocked, so you can punch it up to 4 GHz and 3000 speed rdimms on it if you want lol.

You can actually get the bones of a (admittedly low end) 256gb ram build under $900 with mobo and cpu and memory which is neat. I’ve got the cpu and mobo, I’d just need ram really…
IPMI is a specification for managing OOB BMCs, and basically all of the various OOB BMCs that vendors ship implement it - what differentiates the various vendors is if vKVM is implemented in Java (the old way), HTML+JavaScript (the new way), or some other solution.

AsRock don't write there own firmware, nor does Supermicro. Nor do they make their own OOB BMC chips or write the software for that either.
The firmware for both Asrock and Supermicro is written by AMI (American Megatrends), and both use ASPEED Technology chips for their OOB BMC - although I don't know who writes the OOB BMC RTOS', I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find that it's the same company like in the case of AMI.
I think Asus uses AMI too for their firmware, and they also use ASPEED chips for the OOB BMC - however, I wonder if they're using a different vendor, if the RTOS running on the ASPEED chip is that much worse.

There's like 3 companies (American Megatrends, Phoenix Technologies and Insyde - and you're only ever likely to encounter the first two) in the entire world who make firmware for motherboards, which is why - despite them looking very different, they're usually based on more or less the same software.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Took the plunge on TrueNAS Scale, mostly because I had to, my config was trashed on my Corral-upgraded instance.

Very pleased, overall. Importing the pool was painless and the plugin and hypervisor system works very well if you wanted to hyperconverge, and I may still migrate my plex over there. I kinda miss the quirkiness of BSD, but the tooling and community knowledge around linux should make everything a lot easier in the long run. Sorry, forums poster BSD. :smith:

For my next project, I wanted to do the Steam cache server thing--when I googled it, the Ars technica article from years ago was still the first thing that popped up, is that still considered the best way to do it? Skimming it, seems everything is still applicable other than them doing it in a Ubuntu 16 VM.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Maybe they cheaped out on the baby Xeon boards for IPMI because on all 3 of my C612 based 2011v3 SuperMicro boards, the IPMI is...not pretty but absolutely functional. Maybe just bad luck for you? :shrug:

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 8, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

As just a backup target, the Synology single bay enclosures are fine. You can add a second drive through usb to periodically backup the contents of the internal drive to later if you want. It's no no downtime ever, not a single bit lost in any case setup, but it's pretty reasonable and low hassle at the super budget end of things imo, especially compared to not having current backups at all.

It's my understanding raspberry pis have gone up in price some.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Should I get used 2133 LRDIMMs for $60 a pop or used 2400 RDIMMs for $70 a pop? For 32GB size.

I probably won’t notice a difference and eventually I’d like to get some better ram anyway, not thinking it’s worth 25% more for a slight clock bump and the RDIMM performance vs lrdimm?

I can justify maybe $500 ish on ram as a fun homelab toy for learning/etc, I could stretch to $600 or a bit more if the rdimms are really worthwhile, but beyond that I’d probably only buy 128gb if I had to buy more expensive stuff, to keep the cost down.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 9, 2022

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Crunchy Black posted:

For my next project, I wanted to do the Steam cache server thing--when I googled it, the Ars technica article from years ago was still the first thing that popped up, is that still considered the best way to do it? Skimming it, seems everything is still applicable other than them doing it in a Ubuntu 16 VM.

Oh yeah. I remember that. If it's easy to set up maybe I'll give it a go. Between my Rig, Deck, and my partner's lil laptop we've now got multiple Steam devices in the house. I'll trade some excess space to lighten my datacap hits, any speed boosts are icing.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
My Skylake era AsrockRack board has been great except that it uses said Java based KVM and it sucks poo poo and it's a huge pain in the rear end every time I need to use it. You go to hell java web start

If current boards have a competent HTML5 solution that's great and I'd still consider it for my next one. But dang if that PiKVM--once it's all set up--doesn't look nicer to use than any I've seen.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I can confirm that the PiKVM works well. The bonus is that you don't have to shell out for a mobo with onboard BMC and can just attach it to whatever desktop parts you have already.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Chilled Milk posted:

My Skylake era AsrockRack board has been great except that it uses said Java based KVM and it sucks poo poo and it's a huge pain in the rear end every time I need to use it. You go to hell java web start

Ugh yes I have this same problem. Luckily I have an old Linux laptop and configuring the security settings on it is just a config file. But every time I need it I scramble around trying to remember how the hell I got it to work the last time I needed it. When I actually need IPMI is usually the absolute worst time to try and figure it out all over again.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Crunchy Black posted:

Maybe they cheaped out on the baby Xeon boards for IPMI because on all 3 of my C612 based 2011v3 SuperMicro boards, the IPMI is...not pretty but absolutely functional. Maybe just bad luck for you? :shrug:
Not sure how I did it, but my Supermicro X10SRM-F IPMI originally needed JNLP/Java Web Start, but after a BIOS update and some poking it has now has a functional(if awkward) HTML5 IPMI console.

Which is good because the BIOS boot options won't allow setting an NVME stick as the default boot device, so if I don't manually select it on a restart the console greets me with "this is a truenas data drive, not a boot drive". :v:

A major newbie-ish question: I confess to just throwing a bunch of never-used 1TB SSDs from a failed startup into one zpool, so with a faulted drive do I need to replace it with the exact same drive model? Or can it be any other SSD with the same capacity and similar latency?
Samsung and Amazon both agree that the specific drive model is "no longer available new", and I'm paranoid about used SSDs with no history.
edit: never mind, I'm dumb

Mecha fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 10, 2022

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

withoutclass posted:

When I actually need IPMI is usually the absolute worst time to try and figure it out all over again.

Yeah exactly. And, I already run Fedora on my desktop, that probably does make it easier than trying to figure it out on Windows. I think I used Toolbx to install the specific JRE it wanted. Of course, it's the one thing I didn't seem to document in my getting anal about documentation era. Well, surely I'll remember to re-figure that out *before* I need it next.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SamDabbers posted:

I can confirm that the PiKVM works well. The bonus is that you don't have to shell out for a mobo with onboard BMC and can just attach it to whatever desktop parts you have already.

Did you buy it before the chip shortage, and if so what sort of price did you pay?

I just had a look and it is £139 just for the header. Even with the poo poo-island tax, chip-mageddon extra, and the war-footing surcharge, it is still hella pricey, even if you have a pi for it.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Adolf Glitter posted:

Did you buy it before the chip shortage, and if so what sort of price did you pay?

I just had a look and it is £139 just for the header. Even with the poo poo-island tax, chip-mageddon extra, and the war-footing surcharge, it is still hella pricey, even if you have a pi for it.

I bought the hat from the Kickstarter so paid about $140 for it, and already had a Pi4 from before the chip shortage to attach it to.

I agree it is pricey in absolute terms for a pi appliance. The commercial equivalents from e.g. Lantronix are ~5 times more expensive, and buying a new motherboard with a non-upgradeable onboard BMC also has a price premium vs using the hardware you already own. I expect this to be my remote admin solution for at least 2 or 3 generations of NAS hardware to amortize the cost.

You can use the PiKVM software with a UVC video capture device, or source the CSI HDMI capture chip yourself for less if you want, but the integrated package is pretty compact and convenient.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Thanks for the info. I completely agree regarding the value of it. I've had a closer look at it and it looks great actually.
I worded my question badly really. It's not that it is costly compared to the alternative devices, or having to forgo using some free stuff you might have to hand, it's more that I'm a poverty peasant at the moment.

I've got really lucky though and don't actually need one after all (though I'd love one just to tinker)

I just noticed that the x11 SM board I bought to replace my horribly expensive to run x9 actually has ipmi. It was listed wrongly and I contacted the guy to explain that the "-f" models have ipmi and are worth more that he was selling them so he has thrown in 32GB of ecc ram.
It was only £80 and included an unknown i7. I got more for the outgoing x9 electricity guzzler so all is well
To be fair dual xeons and 128gb of ram was overkill even before the price rise. It was going to cost something like £40+ per month just idling. gently caress that. I wish we had cheap electric so I could have a totally unnecessary rack of old weird stuff. That would make me happy. That would fill the void huh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
An alternate version of the PiKVM is the “BliKVM” and it is available on ali express: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003262886521.html

Unfortunately it requires a Pi CM4 which are super hard to come by as well.

Jeff Geerling had a video on it and it looks pretty nifty.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

That was cool, I've only seen his main channel before.
The NAS video he has there is even more wholesome. It features his Dad again, and a frozen custard interlude.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

SamDabbers posted:

I expect this to be my remote admin solution for at least 2 or 3 generations of NAS hardware to amortize the cost.

Yeah that's how I look at it. It's reusable, and because the only real heavy lifting is that HDMI capture, which is adequate, it's in theory perfectly capable for as long as you can compile updates for the Pi 4. And past that it ought to be fine too if you've isolated it properly, but that's still like what 10-15 years of runway? aarch64 aint goin away too soon.

I've just been thinking about it because of my own board situation. I started out with a mini-itx build that naturally overgrew my Node 304. It got transplanted into a 4U case so now I have tons of room, but I'm still constrained by the limited i/o and 2 ram slots. So I've just been trying to decide where along price/performance/efficiency curve it's worth it to just get a new CPU+Board or try and find something used for my Xeon (E3-1245 v5). I wouldn't be mad if there were good Ryzen boards with ECC support I could do a hand-me-down with my desktop's 3900x, and the power consumption on that made sense

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How many people ITT have one of the TrueNAS vendor devices? I'd be looking at a 33% premium after currency conversion and taxes, but would I save much space and power over a DIY in a Silverstone case?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
33% in freedumb dollar tax is a lot even with the current chip crunch. I'd roll my own.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

How many people ITT have one of the TrueNAS vendor devices? I'd be looking at a 33% premium after currency conversion and taxes, but would I save much space and power over a DIY in a Silverstone case?

They sure look nice and easy, but I just couldn't stomach the premium.

I ran "dirty" for a while with a not really supported HBA which eventually caused me problems (but no data loss or downtime) and I'm still 100% happy with my choice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm a total hypocrite so while I'd never support anybody running a self-build NAS without support in a commercial setting, my home solutions are thrown together out of whatever is cheapest.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My synology power brick...supply? Thing was lost in the move, looks like there are some on amazon but I trust those about 0. From what I've read online (couldn't talk to a customer service rep today) synology will not sell me a new one over the phone. What is my best option

It's a DS418 with the standard (i think) 4 pin cylindrical thing

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hadlock posted:

My synology power brick...supply? Thing was lost in the move, looks like there are some on amazon but I trust those about 0. From what I've read online (couldn't talk to a customer service rep today) synology will not sell me a new one over the phone. What is my best option

It's a DS418 with the standard (i think) 4 pin cylindrical thing
This looks like them selling directly through Newegg? Or is that going to have the same problem with garbage being mixed in with legit stock like Amazon? I've never bought anything there.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a couple of old junker 256gb SSD HDs kicking around and am thinking about throwing a pair into my desktop and RAID 0'ing them for Steam games, ostensibly to take some I/O load off my main NVME, but mostly just for kicks.

It's a Linux system, so is there anything I need to worry about beyond just throwing the drives in there and mashing them together with mdadm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

This looks like them selling directly through Newegg? Or is that going to have the same problem with garbage being mixed in with legit stock like Amazon? I've never bought anything there.

$80 shipped, lmao :downsgun:

Thanks, ordered