Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/SocDoneLeft/status/1513492056634761222

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'm not either, but I'd guess it has a lot to do with the fact that New Jersey's biggest population centres are suburbs of either New York or Philadelphia, so it's a state mostly characterised by sprawl, a stereotype of suburban middle-class aspirations similar to the stereotypes about e.g. Essex in England and of course the shores.

No, if anything those are Connecticut's stereotypes. Stuffy (and moneyed) suburbs in the orbit of other state's cities.
Jersey stereotypes are trashy, tacky, and very very Italian-American. And their sprawl stereotypes focus on stuff like chemical plants and rat king highways.

The latter is dead loving true btw, driving around northeast Jersey's highway system is loving hellish.

EDIT: Upon looking into Essex stereotypes nevermind, had it right the first time!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is a strange game, the only way to win is to not play.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Turkey should be removed, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Platystemon posted:

Turkey should be removed, too.
Hungary too while they're at it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hungary too while they're at it.

Now that’s thinking four-dimensionally.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Tei posted:

This is a strange game, the only way to win is to not play.

Pretty sure Finland is worried about a certain somewhere deciding to play games regardless of consent.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Happy to see the notorious Swingers Counties of Småland are appropriately noted as MILF territory.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Grape posted:

Pretty sure Finland is worried about a certain somewhere deciding to play games regardless of consent.

I am not a expert, but I think is good to have a buffer zone between the two blocks. Sharing a border mean things like planes "checking" the reaction times of the other block. A accident or somebody trigger happy would quickly lead to a situation where is in the hands of politicians to de-escalate or escalate the accident into war.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Washington Post is trash, but here's some good snark:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/08/whom-it-may-concern-nato-is-already-russias-border/

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If this war has proven anything, it's that Belarus should just be considered a constituent part of the Russian Federation at this point.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Tei posted:

I am not a expert, but I think is good to have a buffer zone between the two blocks. Sharing a border mean things like planes "checking" the reaction times of the other block. A accident or somebody trigger happy would quickly lead to a situation where is in the hands of politicians to de-escalate or escalate the accident into war.

1. Tell that to the Finns.
2. They've lived as a buffer zone for like 80 years, meaning recent events are seismic enough to make them change their minds about that being viable or intelligent.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

how exactly does the inland empire work that its a complete non-entity in the american cultural consciousness even less than say Hartford but also the 13th largest metro area. why isn't it just merged with LA? It's really big in area sure because you're including the entire county so why is it one metro area then? i don't understand it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tei posted:

You mean a buffer zone is good to prevent the kind of thing that is currently happening? Also, they are just bad, period. And what about just not doing those things? They are not inevitable.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Tei posted:

1) NATO and USSR/Russia have bordered each other for years with no buffer zone.

2) Planes "check" each other's response time all the time without bordering each other. The US does it to Russia, Russia does it to the US. The USSR even shot down a commercial flight because they thought it was a spy plane. The difference is they "check" NATO countries with lightly loaded fighter planes or bombers generally, but they have "checked" non-NATO countries with planes with nuclear warheads on them. You tell me which you'd rather have overhead

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people don't hate people from new jersey, they just hate italians

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Certainly a Take on the Falklands.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Las Malvinas son World Cup Winners

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Alaois posted:

people don't hate people from new jersey, they just hate italians

Unless from NY, RI, or CT, in which case it's classist inter-Italian hatred.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

how does England share a land border with France?

if the Falklands don't count as "England" (and they shouldn't) then neither should Gibraltar

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Las Malvinas are closer to Uruguay’s capital than to Argentina’s.

The implications are clear.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

oxford_town posted:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

oxford_town posted:

if the Falklands don't count as "England" (and they shouldn't) then neither should Gibraltar

Post-Brexit UK is England.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Wikipedia says the Chunnel is "defined as a 'Land Frontier', and not widely recognised as a Land Border", so therefore the map about World Cup winners sharing a continguous border is Incorrect and I am upset.

Groda posted:

Post-Brexit UK is England.

Currently we still have our claws into the colonial possessions of NI, Wales, Scotland, and Kernow. Would an independent Wales be feasible? I can see indy Scotland and a united Ireland, but not Wales. (Sorry to the Welsh nationalists.)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

TFW when you hate Norway, Gotland, Aland, Zeeland, Albania, and Yugoslavia (except Slovenia), but love the rest of Denmark and Sweden.

I really can't figure out why Sweden and Denmark are on that map, but Norway isn't. Or what the that bureau off the coast of Latvia is supposed to be. Or why they have a bureau in what appears to be a small farming village in Latvia. Or what mutation happened to northern Greece.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

oxford_town posted:

The map seems to be based on noticing of the France/Brazil border.
They should have made it clear if they consider England to border France, Spain or both.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Saladman posted:

TFW when you hate Norway, Gotland, Aland, Zeeland, Albania, and Yugoslavia (except Slovenia), but love the rest of Denmark and Sweden.

I really can't figure out why Sweden and Denmark are on that map, but Norway isn't. Or what the that bureau off the coast of Latvia is supposed to be. Or why they have a bureau in what appears to be a small farming village in Latvia. Or what mutation happened to northern Greece.

And for some reason they draw Södertörn as an actual discernible island southeast of Stockholm... which it technically is, though no one who lives there would ever know.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

oxford_town posted:

Wikipedia says the Chunnel is "defined as a 'Land Frontier', and not widely recognised as a Land Border", so therefore the map about World Cup winners sharing a continguous border is Incorrect and I am upset.
They don't specify a land border in the OP... hth...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Europe and South America share a contiguous border because you can go from European coast to South American coast without crossing any non European or non South American territory.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
And also French Guiana is an integral, indivisible, eternal part of La République Française, of course.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Saladman posted:

looks like a EU map with MNK partners (whatever that is) colored in, leaving a handful of countries as grey.

also lol Scotland all hosed up

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Scotland looks like a discount Netherlands

Netherlands looks like they got greedy with the land reclamation

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

looks like a EU map with MNK partners (whatever that is) colored in, leaving a handful of countries as grey.

also lol Scotland all hosed up

Croatia’s in the EU tho

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/LarrereMathilde/status/1513545680249368576

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not a single Parisian district (?) voting Le Pen. Makes sense considering the city's demographics, but it's still striking. Marseille actually does have a few working-class areas where the FN does well, if I remember correctly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

Not a single Parisian district (?) voting Le Pen. Makes sense considering the city's demographics, but it's still striking. Marseille actually does have a few working-class areas where the FN does well, if I remember correctly.

Is it really just the rural areas that are voting for fascists again? We really must get to 100% urbanization asap.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
3/5 of these would've broken the streak: it's fate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it really just the rural areas that are voting for fascists again? We really must get to 100% urbanization asap.

I don't think that's quite correct, most of the support for the Front National seems to be coming from economically depressed areas, e.g. the mining basin in the north. It's not specifically a rural phenomenon. Paris just happens to be particularly unreceptive to the FN, as it consists mostly of educated middle-class professionals and (the descendants of) non-European immigrants, neither group being likely to turn out for Le Pen.

That's my take on it, at least.