Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Manager Hoyden posted:

From each according to their ability, to each several guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

if you think you should have to keep your weapons under lock and key if you have toddlers running around your house: congrats, you’re a far left psycho to every conservative. also if you don’t think it should be legal to stone cold stunner trans children on sight. conservatism is ironically pure idpol and that idpol is currently about loving the gun you just bought and don’t know how to shoot and also hating gays

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

i think if you're at the level of control over the us that you can establish a national registry of firearms, you're also at the point where the government isn't going to be using force on oppressed minorities

other way round, the only way the US ever makes a firearm registry is if they plan to turn it over to the right people so they can go cut down some tall trees

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

redneck nazgul posted:

i think if you're at the level of control over the us that you can establish a national registry of firearms, you're also at the point where the government isn't going to be using force on oppressed minorities

also the us has been transported to big rock candy mountain and we have universal health care and housing

*guitar strums*

In the big rock candy mountain
The body armor's thin
The bullets fly back out again as soon as they are in

We all got short-barrel rifles
Revolvers, glocks and clips
I'm goin' to stay
Where you kill all day

Where they repealed
The NFA
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

love 2 tell agents of the state which oppressed minorities are armed
we already pretty much do this for everything that isn't a bolt action hunting rifle or a double-barreled shotgun

same goes for concealed carry in most states that allow it

honestly, in the context of the 2nd amendment, not registering who is armed kind of defeats the purpose since if you're calling up a militia for national defense or whatever the poo poo right-wing militia types love to jerk themselves off about, you kind of need to know who is armed, otoh if you think enemy #1 is the US gov't then why the gently caress do you care what the constitution says anyway

here in the real world we are probably too restrictive on what weapons we allow the citizenry to obtain, and then not nearly diligent enough in requiring and enforcing that arms are secured and stored responsibly. but you will, on the one hand, never get trust from the gun people to do the latter (justifiably so, given the behavior of democrats on gun control issues over the last 30 years). and, you will never get democrats including even a lot of rank and file dem voters to budge on the former because they're loving idiots

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I very unironically believe a pro gun 'arm the people not the state' type could loving kill it in a dem primary as long as they wrap it in the proper idpol but I guess we can keep doing Beto poo poo.

that's how it worked for Hubert Humphrey

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

ah, Kos, or some say Daily Kos...

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Best Friends posted:

if you think you should have to keep your weapons under lock and key if you have toddlers running around your house: congrats, you’re a far left psycho to every conservative.
for all the myriad ways in which the typical conservative has debilitating brain worm psychosis equal to or exceeding that of the libbiest lib, not trusting the democrat party to deal fairly and in good faith on issues of gun control is not one of them. affluent liberals i.e. the college-educated democrat crowd that forms all of the leadership and these days most of the base, 100% wants to disarm the masses and every action they take on guns no matter how reasonable it seems, is a means to that end. fwiw I support a national registry of all firearms and random checks that they are stored securely and safely, but I absolutely do not trust the democrats to implement such a policy

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

fwiw I support a national registry of all firearms and random checks that they are stored securely and safely,

Just government agents coming into your house at random? Really?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

we already pretty much do this for everything that isn't a bolt action hunting rifle or a double-barreled shotgun

honestly, in the context of the 2nd amendment, not registering who is armed kind of defeats the purpose since if you're calling up a militia for national defense or whatever the poo poo right-wing militia types love to jerk themselves off about, you kind of need to know who is armed, otoh if you think enemy #1 is the US gov't then why the gently caress do you care what the constitution says anyway

here in the real world we are probably too restrictive on what weapons we allow the citizenry to obtain, and then not nearly diligent enough in requiring and enforcing that arms are secured and stored responsibly. but you will, on the one hand, never get trust from the gun people to do the latter (justifiably so, given the behavior of democrats on gun control issues over the last 30 years). and, you will never get democrats including even a lot of rank and file dem voters to budge on the former because they're loving idiots

the intent of the militia part of the second amendment was, when written, to have an accountable population of well armed white people in frontier towns in case they felt the need to go and do an incredible massacre of indigenous people the next county over, or after we pushed all of those onto land that wasn't worth conquering anymore then doing the same to the nearest group of freed black people trying to exercise their civil rights. which is why the militia component got quietly dropped in the 1970s in favor of whatever nonsensical frankenstein interpretation of the 2AM currently exists

it is completely impossible to address the guns question in this country without coming to terms with this history, which cannot be done peacefully, imo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vim Fuego posted:

they can have you zoom with a contractor and you show them your gunsafe and maybe your nuts if you are feeling bawdy

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Vim Fuego posted:

imagine this in the context of a worker state, not a bourgeois dictatorship. in that case yes I do

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the intent of the militia part of the second amendment was, when written, to have an accountable population of well armed white people in frontier towns in case they felt the need to go and do an incredible massacre of indigenous people the next county over, or after we pushed all of those onto land that wasn't worth conquering anymore then doing the same to the nearest group of freed black people trying to exercise their civil rights. which is why the militia component got quietly dropped in the 1970s in favor of whatever nonsensical frankenstein interpretation of the 2AM currently exists

it is completely impossible to address the guns question in this country without coming to terms with this history, which cannot be done peacefully, imo
well in that context you still need to know who actually has guns so my point stands

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the modern equivalent is one guy posting himself into a frenzy and doing a lone wolf mass shooting event so it becomes somewhat contradictory

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

World War Mammories posted:

ah, Kos, or some say Daily Kos...

Daily Koos

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
just skimming, dunno what the convo is really about but I wanna chime in to say that guns rule and are very fun. I found some half rotten mandarin oranges in my pantry this morning and shot them on my lunch break. they made a satisfying target.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

the hell we do lol

like I really don’t even disagree with many of your conclusions but this just isn’t right. between NICS being required to purge background checks within 24 hours and private party holes big enough to drive a truck through, and the majority of states moving to “constitutional carry” it’s really wild to say that the US has anything approaching a list of firearm owners. there are plenty of states where you can buy any non-NFA gun you want without anyone in the government knowing it.

gun laws in the US may be the classic example of “laws protecting the in-group and binding the out-group”. it’s legal for me to get a pistol from a private seller and CCW it around without any oversight. but if i was previously convicted of possession of marijuana because I was unlucky enough to be born in an over policed out group? now I’m doing big crimes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

copy posted:

Good Voter, you've done well, the election cycle is near its end. Now I will show you mercy. You will vote, forget the campaign, and awake under the morning sun. You will be freed from this terrible Voter's Dream.

Still lingering about? What's wrong? A voter, unnerved by a few pivots? Heh heh... No matter, without fear in our hearts, we're little different from the republicans themselves. What are you still doing here? Enough trembling in your boots. A voter must vote.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Crowsbeak posted:

Speaking of burning it to the ground. (As I do not doubt God wills).https://mobile.twitter.com/politico/status/1513132210769088515

lol, and furthermore, lmao

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

between NICS being required to purge background checks within 24 hours
okay

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Manager Hoyden posted:

From each according to their ability, to each several guns

On the fourth day of creation, God created fire arms, ammunition, targets, and the other types of second amendment items (Genesis 1:14–19). The number of self protection items God created on the fourth day is staggering. Scientists currently estimate there to be 2 trillion fire arms in the USA, with about 100 million fire arms in each city. That would mean the number of fire arms is somewhere around 10 to the 20th power (“How Many guns Are on My Block?” by Shoot Myown Balls ch, Live Science online, updated 5/24/18, accessed 10/28/20).

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

the concluding quote of the article is "you have to give them a reason to show up now" and lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DoubleDonut posted:

but if we forgave student debt inflation would be worse!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

ex post facho posted:

the concluding quote of the article is "you have to give them a reason to show up now" and lol

The idea of "how dare people expect something from/for a vote" is absolutely baffling, to me. Why the gently caress else would you haul your rear end out there in the often poo poo weather to wait in an often poo poo line to vote for always lovely people unless they were promising you something?

Another baffling thing is Dems continued insistence of grabbing the hot iron that is gun control. Yes, it still burns; no, it will not make people forget that gas doubled and everything else costs more than it used to as well.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Corporate wants you to strongarm and bully a bunch of teenagers into voting for us

Give them an attitude adjustment to the real Democrats and learn to love it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

The idea of "how dare people expect something from/for a vote" is absolutely baffling, to me. Why the gently caress else would you haul your rear end out there in the often poo poo weather to wait in an often poo poo line to vote for always lovely people unless they were promising you something?

As the only other party and the lesser of two evils, the dems see the votes as something they are due. This is not an exchange, it is tribute being delivered to an overlord.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DUMBORATS!!!!!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

dems going out in 2022 and stepping on that big ol gun control rake is proof that things are back to normal

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Biden’s solution is to buy a shotgun for gun control

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Vim Fuego posted:

If you have a one of those atf licenses to own silencers and poo poo i guess they do this already lol

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Another baffling thing is Dems continued insistence of grabbing the hot iron that is gun control. Yes, it still burns; no, it will not make people forget that gas doubled and everything else costs more than it used to as well.

they're smarter so of course you should vote for them! they say all the correct things! just look at how they did in the debates.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

thinking about it: its the dem's versions of racism. they can't take give their constituents anything, they can only take away from others

thing is, one of those things is a brain rot that has poisoned this country since before it was founded and the other is gun control

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lastgirl posted:

Corporate wants you to strongarm and bully a bunch of teenagers into voting for us

Give them an attitude adjustment to the real Democrats and learn to love it

remembering how biden's concession to the bernie wing of the party was "we'll reduce the age of medicare from 65 to 60"

did they even do that?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

remembering how biden's concession to the bernie wing of the party was "we'll reduce the age of medicare from 65 to 60"

did they even do that?

died in house subcommittee on health

Dems are the Near Enemy

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Morbus posted:

died in house subcommittee on health

:cheers:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Liberalism is a complete project, there is nothing left to build. The thing left to do is manage the status quo. Therefore while you can tinker with the edges of existing practices because they "aren't fair" (read that as "aren't monetarily rewarding the right people"), you can't tear them down and build them anew, even if they were erected last year by the republican administration.

If you want something done politically, that is to say if you want to construct a political project, the liberals are not your party. They simply aren't here to do that because their entire worldview is constructed on the foundation that the liberal society as it is currently configured is mostly good and morally correct by virtue of being birthed by the institutions which exist. This is an inarguable tautology, that what we have is good and moral because it came from a system that can only produce good and moral things. Neither are in question.

It is not coincidence that the last time democrats did anything domestically (The War on Poverty/Great Society), they weren't wholly in the tank for liberalism. Now that the USSR is gone, now that liberalism is the hegemonic system for economic (and thus social) society, they are nothing but a party dedicated to doing nothing.

Lest you get confused and believe that then their purpose is to oppose republicans and the conservative project, that too arises from within the same moral and good institutions so while they are evil and bad for wanting, then doing evil and bad things, they spring forth from the institutions so opposition is weak and dismantling is out of the question.

ClassActionFursuit has issued a correction as of 11:33 on Apr 12, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

if you missed this yesterday, here’s a great rebuttal to “we just need more votes to pass good things!”

https://twitter.com/erininthemorn/status/1513538700231286794?s=21&t=7Inzf6ei1z1z7SPY61l94Q

https://twitter.com/erininthemorn/status/1513539990822793224?s=21&t=7Inzf6ei1z1z7SPY61l94Q

then the dems (even some of the state reps) come and tell her she’s wrong and to shut up, actually, and she needs to work on educating those that may still need a nudge in the right direction!

https://twitter.com/erininthemorn/status/1513686629814312964?s=21&t=7Inzf6ei1z1z7SPY61l94Q

https://twitter.com/erininthemorn/status/1513685604323713038?s=21&t=7Inzf6ei1z1z7SPY61l94Q

https://twitter.com/jpenamelnyk/status/1513673834146287625?s=21&t=7Inzf6ei1z1z7SPY61l94Q

cowards are incapable of raising a finger at WHICH democrats are blocking this and they straight up killed the whole thing before voting so no one had to go on record and vote no

this is the Democratic Party. this is what they want you to vote for nationally. this is why they will get destroyed in 2022. they are a party of nothing. they are worse than republican because I at least know republicans WILL make my life worse.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Why wouldn't they keep grabbing that iron? Stuff like canceling student debt or legalizing weed is broadly popular, so there's an infintessimal chance it might result in actual legislation or, god forbid, people believing Better Things Are Possible.

Gun control speaks to a big pool of ignorable donors without generating enough popular pressure or enthusiasm to actually rock the boat. The electoral losses were coming anyway, and the dems that matter will remain safe. It's perfect.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I don't know how I picked that idea up but as a 90s kid I definitely internalized the idea that a politician doing something that would benefit people and inspire them to vote for them would be bad. Which led me to be a college libertarian because if politicians can't do good things then why should they do anything at all before I eventually realized that politicians actually could do good things and just choose not to and the problem is the ideology that government can't do good things, not government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002