Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/charlie_savage/status/1513478733675573249?s=21&t=km1bPwDclYQMDVx8f8X1dg

As someone who used to have dumbass views as teenager on international law and the ICC…I support this fully and I’m pleasantly surprised at the broad support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/charlie_savage/status/1513478733675573249?s=21&t=km1bPwDclYQMDVx8f8X1dg

As someone who used to have dumbass views as teenager on international law and the ICC…I support this fully and I’m pleasantly surprised at the broad support.

So we're going to stop threatening to invade anyone who hosts ICC proceedings?

e: Nope, we're apparently still legally obligated:
https://2001-2009.state.gov/t/pm/rls/othr/misc/23425.htm

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 12, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It was a surprisingly popular vote lol

Take a look

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1072/vote_107_2_00140.htm

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

You forgot the catastrophic full-body muscle seizures that can break bones and lock you up so hard you can't breathe, even if you aren't already drowning in your own drool. My first reflex for a real no-poo poo confirmed exposure to a modern nerve agent would be going for my sidearm, not my mask. I learned way, way too much poo poo about "treating" CBRNE attacks as a medic to ever want to go out like that. Probably the only thing off the top of my head that might actually be worse than playing dig for buried treasure as I put up camp in the Chernobyl forests for a month.

The rumor concerning Novichok is that it's a nerve agent with long-term knock-on effects, but given that such claims are under the umbrella of "Big Bad Russian Weapons" I'm thinking they might've just managed to make VR (not virtual reality, but quite literally Russian VX) into a slightly better form of VX, which is already deadly *enough*.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yea, any support for the ICC from the US is only there so long as the ICC doesn't investigate or prosecute warcriminals from the US or it's allies and does investigate and prosecute warcriminals from nations hostile to US foreign interests.

So fairly worthless and fleeting.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The senate is the saucer in which bills go to cool or whatever the hell, and also here’s a reminder that South Carolina had a vehement segregationist there for decades

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lake of Methane posted:

I learned recently that ~50% of the nuclear fuel for US reactors generating electricity on the grid comes from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan (recall Rosatom and Uranium One).

The industry has already asked the US to not put sanctions on fuel.

Is the US still under the Carter Administration rule barring it from re-processing spent fuel rods?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Isn’t the reason we aren’t using our Uranium and rare earths is that it’s incredibly rough on the environment? So why gently caress up our own land when we can just pay idiots to do it to themselves? I know that means there would be a dearth of materials until we started the mines but it’s not an insurmountable obstacle?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s extremely expensive to operate an uranium or REM mine to EPA standards.

Not impossible, just really, really loving costly.

So it’s much better to find a country with a more business friendly regulatory framework and then ship to market. These countries often also have a lower overall cost of labor, so it’s win win really!

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
If we really wanted to, we could quite easily get our Uranium from friendly countries.

One of the world's largest uranium producers is just up north in Canada.

They have one of the highest grade uranium mines on the planet (MacArthur river), and it was shut down until just recently because of the low spot price for uranium.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
god grant me modern canadian folk punk about selling natural resources to the us i want it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGOiWVP-0OE

edit: the gently caress does SA still not have automatic inline youtube embeds

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Also Canada has been producing commercial-grade power reactors that can run on loving *anything* for decades. Natural uranium, spent fuel from reactors that need enriched fuel, MOX fuel... poo poo, India has been using the thorium fuel cycle in their CANDU-derived reactors and it's been working just fine.

We should be selling everyone the reactors and the fuel to go with them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

god grant me modern canadian folk punk about selling natural resources to the us i want it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGOiWVP-0OE

edit: the gently caress does SA still not have automatic inline youtube embeds

it does, unless you turned the off in the options

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

Also Canada has been producing commercial-grade power reactors that can run on loving *anything* for decades. Natural uranium, spent fuel from reactors that need enriched fuel, MOX fuel... poo poo, India has been using the thorium fuel cycle in their CANDU-derived reactors and it's been working just fine.

As far as I know India (and maybe China) are going all in on thorium reactors for their future energy needs to try to wean off fossil fuel based power.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Carth Dookie posted:

As far as I know India (and maybe China) are going all in on thorium reactors for their future energy needs to try to wean off fossil fuel based power.

Which is in some ways kind of a worry - seems they are taking fossil fuel dependency a lot more seriously than others.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which is in some ways kind of a worry - seems they are taking fossil fuel dependency a lot more seriously than others.

Ive though that if you've got a population density like India/China and unfavourable geography that makes wind/solar impossible to meet energy needs then Thorium salt reactors aren't the worst idea, but a bunch of Russian dudes stomping around Chernobyl kind of makes me rethink that position a bit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Carth Dookie posted:

Ive though that if you've got a population density like India/China and unfavourable geography that makes wind/solar impossible to meet energy needs then Thorium salt reactors aren't the worst idea, but a bunch of Russian dudes stomping around Chernobyl kind of makes me rethink that position a bit.

not like those two countries are going to go to war right

right

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Unless there have been developments I'm not aware of, the thorium cycle involves breeding it up and then running the resultant Uranium through a conventional reactor.

Anyway: ignoring completely factors about reactor design and intrinsic safety:

Do the math per in terms of fatalities per GWe vs. coal.

Still not compelling? Do it again, this time assume everyone in Bangladesh drowns on the coal side of the ledger. Then recognise that this is a likely understatement of the human cost of BAU.

On energy, our choices* are getting pretty bleak, pretty quickly. "But ~radiation~" is getting pretty played out for me.

*: That involve a planet on which we can thrive existing in 100 years

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 12, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Oh I mean I'm fully on the nuclear train, just that it kinds of makes me wonder to see this from them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

it does, unless you turned the off in the options

I never turned it off, but I did just learn that it was an option that can be turned on.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

IPCRESS posted:

Unless there have been developments I'm not aware of, the thorium cycle involves breeding it up and then running the resultant Uranium through a conventional reactor.

Still not compelling? Do it again, this time assume everyone in Bangladesh drowns on the coal side of the ledger. Then recognise that this is a likely understatement of the human cost of BAU.

On energy, our choices* are getting pretty bleak, pretty quickly. "But ~radiation~" is getting pretty played out for me.

Oh make no mistake, I see nuclear as necessary for both countries, it's just when I think of the potential dangers, I hadn't considered cretins hucking missiles at it one of them until now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

for me that's always been the real tragedy of chernobyl, the knock-on effects will kill far more than even the worst-case estimates of deaths

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yknow if i had to dig a trench and live in it for a month and the choice was between chernobyl and a dried up coal ash pond, idk which one I would choose. probably chernobyl tbh

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cimber posted:

I wonder why Ukraine doesn't send small sabotage teams into Russia and have them dick with the Russian train lines. A few pounds of c-4 on a track with a pressure detonator? That's going to give their engines some serious heartburn.

https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1513821648394334209

Clearly Ukrainian high command is reading SA and listening to me.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Alternatively, the Russians did it themselves.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wickerman posted:

It's crazy that this is an option.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's one way to make sure you don't get deployed back into Ukraine

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Wickerman posted:

I'll go with the first option, that my military genius is recognized for what it is. :agesilaus:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

If they’re entertaining.

https://twitter.com/cher/status/1513796265229754368

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah CANDU is basically a safer RBMK, it can burn practically anything and is an impressive unit.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

IPCRESS posted:

hell factoring in construction accidents nuclear is safer than solar on that metric

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

hell factoring in construction accidents nuclear is safer than solar on that metric

And has a stronger impact to emissions because it can run 24/7-365 for years between refuels, and in a smaller footprint.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

As obviously high as that tweet is I find myself agreeing with basically everything.

I'm not sure of how many times I've found myself agreeing with Cher, but I'm confident it's a low number.

Does Jane Fonda have any Ukraine hot takes?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jane Fonda should operate an s300 in ukraine

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

As obviously high as that tweet is I find myself agreeing with basically everything.

I'm not sure of how many times I've found myself agreeing with Cher, but I'm confident it's a low number.

Does Jane Fonda have any Ukraine hot takes?

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1513743766099841027

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dude doesn't know the first loving thing about soldiering. Unironically the best thing he can do for Ukraine is to coordinate English language propaganda with their Foreign Ministry.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

A.o.D. posted:

Dude doesn't know the first loving thing about soldiering. Unironically the best thing he can do for Ukraine is to coordinate English language propaganda with their Foreign Ministry.

He's not speaking in terms of actually planning to go, so much as that he can't shake the thought of it. He fled the country on foot, and he understandably has doubts. And I think that anyone can understand that impulse to join in a desperate fight, rather than just do the sensible thing and watch it play out in the news.

quote:

The actor/filmmaker happened to be in Ukraine working on a documentary when Russia first invaded. While he’s been back in the United States since March, Penn said he plans to return to Ukraine at some point, although he doesn’t know when due to the ongoing war, as well as his own apprehensions: “I’m not an idiot,” he said, “I am not certain what I can offer.”

Penn continued: “The only possible reason for me staying in Ukraine longer last time would’ve been for me to be holding a rifle, probably without body armor, because as a foreigner, you would want to give that body armor to one of the civilian fighters who doesn’t have it or to a fighter with more skills than I have, or to a younger man or woman who could fight for longer or whatever.”

He added, “[I]f you’ve been in Ukraine [fighting] has to cross your mind. And you kind of think what century is this? Because I was at the gas station in Brentwood the other day and I’m now thinking about taking up arms against Russia? What the gently caress is going on?”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, let him go.

I don't hate Sean Penn but I'm loving sick of him chiming in on everything like he's Bono and it's still the '00s.

Just stuff him in a flight full of useful equipment so we're not wasting fuel just to drop his rear end off.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Sure Sean.
I'm sure you'd be REAL useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

Nah they already have quality translation people and voiceover people who aren’t insufferable.