Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

put them all in jail imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Recoome posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-12/strawberry-farmer-loses-200k-as-pickers-go-into-covid-isolation/100977738

I guess I stopped following a lot of COVID-related poo poo after Jan but I'm surprised WA is so far behind the times. I think QLD and WA both did a pretty good job, but QLD had the timing right as it wasn't really feasible to do a lot of that inhumane restriction poo poo that WA ended up pulling.

Get w/ the times WA.

All 40 staff tested positive in the same week. That's impressive.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Capt.Whorebags posted:

That's awesome, Chicken Parmi.

bowmore posted:

Mate you're so talented

Thaaaaank yooooooou

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I can't believe that complete joker Albanese couldn't remember the... what was it? The bloody... cash... amount.

Mate, you want to be prime minister, and you can't even remember the bloody cash amount? Scoff dot bloody gif, mate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Albo can't remember the RBA cash rate.
Scomo can't remember the 500,000$ of taxpayers money he paid to settle a complaint from the woman one of his ministers sexually assaulted.

Guess which one made the front page

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

There's a front page?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Glad that Scomo openly supporting candidates pushing transphobic policies is all but completely shielded from scrutiny because Albo FORGOT MONEY NUMBER!!!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Holy gently caress I'm anxious

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Paingod556 posted:

I'm sure someone explained this back when the Senate changes came down, but whats the deal with exhaustion - is it better to put in votes for parties you do not want at all, or exhaust before you reach them?

I think someone explained that it depended on if they were minor or major parties, no idea which for which though.
it can be worthwhile to put preferences down for parties you do not want at all in the senate if:
-there's at least some reasonable chance the party will win a seat
-you ultimately prefer it over other bad parties that also have some reasonable chance of winning a seat

like if you think palmer is horrible but ultimately him getting a seat is a better outcome than one nation winning a seat then you can give palmer your last preference before exhausting to help achieve that outcome

but if you don't give a poo poo either way then it's fine to exhaust

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
eventually you make yourself such a small target they start bringing bigger guns and that's what this Numbah Blundah situation seems like to me

Just a few weeks ago scomo nearly blinded himself pretending to be a blue collar worker lmao

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Anidav posted:

Holy gently caress I'm anxious

Six weeks.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Wheezle posted:

Six weeks.

Yeah hopefully what we're seeing is our slow news cycle where this was the very co-incidentally chosen political story to drop - never mind the 500k tax paid hush money for Tudge's extramarital affair with a staffer Morrison says he knows nothing about, or the straight up transphobic women's sport ban.

Just know Morrison hosed up in the past and will gently caress up again.

Edit: Forgot to mention nobody knows Tudge's status... is he still a cabinet member? Who knows.

woofbro fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 12, 2022

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

abigserve posted:

eventually you make yourself such a small target they start bringing bigger guns and that's what this Numbah Blundah situation seems like to me

Just a few weeks ago scomo nearly blinded himself pretending to be a blue collar worker lmao
gonna combo it into asking albanese if he disavows his radical misogynist online fanbase

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...bb18337d523fe1c

quote:

Renowned ABC host Leigh Sales has deleted her Twitter account a week after interviewing Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

Sales has previously been vocal against online abuse, penning an article in late 2021 calling out online trolls, revealing she was being abused at an hourly rate on Twitter.

“It is non-stop, personal, often vile, frequently unhinged and regularly based on fabrications,” she wrote.

“It has the effect of an angry phone call from a politician magnified thousands of times over.

“Anyone who can stomach wading into mentions of @leighsales will find that virtually hourly, I am abused for doing my job, with a stream of tweets goading me to quit, demanding the ABC sack me, telling me I’m useless, stupid, biased and incompetent.”
https://twitter.com/PatsKarvelas/status/1513610850573053953
https://twitter.com/bairdjulia/status/1513706772430979075

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
ALP actually made a policy announcement today

quote:

Labor has not committed to an additional increase to the jobseeker payment and has dropped plans for a review into the rate, the shadow assistant minister for the treasury, Andrew Leigh, has said.

Cool!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mode 7 posted:

Glad that Scomo openly supporting candidates pushing transphobic policies is all but completely shielded from scrutiny because Albo FORGOT MONEY NUMBER!!!
let's be honest there wouldn't be any scrutiny of morrison doing that on a slow day, the media loves the culture war poo poo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

gonna combo it into asking albanese if he disavows his radical misogynist online fanbase

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...bb18337d523fe1c

Crosses name off list

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seemlar posted:

ALP actually made a policy announcement today

Labour party continue with it's core belief that you can't win an election if you run on having actual policies.

God the next weeks few weeks are going to be a slog to get through.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nat MP David Gillespie’s views on why elderly people should be forced on to the Indue card. “It is for their own good , for their safety”. “ Much safer for the elderly instead of cash“. The even nastier sting in the tail,”It isn’t your money it’s taxpayers money.”

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So put all MPs on indue then.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Scott Morrison accuses Anthony Albanese of only seeking photo ops and being unable to answer hard questions.

:ironicat:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Scott Morrison accuses Anthony Albanese of making GBS threads himself at the Engadine Maccas.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
You can't rape and rob someone at gunpoint for their Indue card, you can only rape them at gunpoint. Based on a true story, which was frankly horrific.

Tudge is still in cabinet, but doesn't have a portfolio, though no one has replaced him as Education Minister, except someone was filling him for him - who was a total idiot, except now apparently he was never the new Education Minister. Also, the investigated themselves and found Tudge did nothing wrong, though it's hard to say that with certainty as his ex-staffer wouldn't participate in the investigation as she didn't think they would investigate fairly. And even though they decided they did nothing wrong, they're paying her out half a million of tax payer money.

If the LNP win with a scandal this big it's just a joke. A huge loving joke. I'll start dressing as a medieval knight and running under the gently caress Me Party, with the only policy being that they're already loving us anyway, so if you vote me in I'll just gently caress myself.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

That's awesome, Chicken Parma.

ftfy

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Konomex posted:

If the LNP win with a scandal this big it's just a joke.
lol

They got through brittany higgins, they will get through this. Australians are loving stupid and have shithouse memories.

I mean, the beetrooter is the deputy PM.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Murdoch media is going to do what they do, and the ALP is still thoroughly cowed. The LNP might manage to lose, but it's despite those efforts.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Going to be one of the least satisfying "I told you so" moments when scomo coasts through to another election victory, but at least I put my money where my mouth is this time so the Australian media are going to indirectly finance a new stereo for me :3:

Christ I hope I'm wrong though

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RE: Gotcha questions.

Does anyone remember a few elections ago when the Labor leader was asked how much a litre of milk was, and couldn't answer. There was a big kerfuffle about how "out of touch with ordinary Australians" he was. The then Lib leader, (I want to say Howard), was asked the same question a few days later and gave an overly specific answer, (like $1.17 for example) supposedly to prove he was a down to earth battler who still bought his own milk, and not to show that he had a staffer rush out and tell him the exact price from the nearest supermarket.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

aejix posted:

Christ I hope I'm wrong though

Same. I’m hoping Labor manage to not gently caress up this time, but we live in the dumbest timeline where every event must play out to the stupidest possible conclusion, so, we’ll see.

At least I’ll put money on it this time.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Does anyone remember a few elections ago when the Labor leader was asked how much a litre of milk was, and couldn't answer. There was a big kerfuffle about how "out of touch with ordinary Australians" he was. The then Lib leader, (I want to say Howard), was asked the same question a few days later and gave an overly specific answer, (like $1.17 for example) supposedly to prove he was a down to earth battler who still bought his own milk, and not to show that he had a staffer rush out and tell him the exact price from the nearest supermarket.

https://junkee.com/scott-morrison-national-press-club-bread-milk-price/320790

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I swear "parmie" has been the most annoying thing moving from Melbourne to Tassa Tassie.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Waleed Aly UNLEASHES on Anthony Albanese in damning interview where he blasts his 'lack of competence' - as he clashes with Labor MP over '$300billion' spending bonanza
Mr Albanese referred to his lack of knowledge as 'a mistake' 15 times on Tuesday
Waleed Aly asked if it was 'not an error, but might reveal a lack of competence?'
Shadow Treasurer said government doesn't want to talk about the cost of living

PUBLISHED: 21:11 AEST, 12 April 2022

Waleed Aly has again unleashed on Labor leader Anthony Albanese for not knowing Australia's unemployment or cash rates, blasting his 'lack of competence'.

It was the second night running that the Project Host ripped into a Labor Shadow Minister over Mr Albanese's shocking gaffe on Monday.

Mr Albanese referred to his lack of knowledge as 'a mistake' 15 times during a press conference on Tuesday.

Aly asked Shadow Treasurer Jim Chalmers if he could see that Mr Albanese's gaffe might be 'not an error or a failure of memory, but it might reveal a lack of competence?'

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

gently caress the media.

It amazes me how the project, abc and maybe seven west will attack the libs, right up until the election date is called and then do this massive almost robotic switch to ignoring the faults of the LNP and just sledging on the opposition from all angles.

There are angles to critique Labor and it shouldn't involve making it blatent that your donors or media mongul bosses have switched your programming.

But anything for a pay check Waleed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BrigadierSensible posted:

John Howard made a point of having a list of current grocery staples and their prices on him at all times. His politics may have been awful but he was a good politician in a way we haven’t seen from the Liberal party at least since.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It's chattering classes level poo poo / media desperately trying to convince itself it's relevant that barely anyone is listening to anymore. Albo's "gaffe" aint changing anyone's minds.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
who stabs someone at the easter show i mean seriously.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Wasn't it just this Feb that Scott was in trouble for "not knowing the price of living" because his wife did the shopping?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Lord Bude posted:

John Howard made a point of having a list of current grocery staples and their prices on him at all times. His politics may have been awful but he was a good politician in a way we haven’t seen from the Liberal party at least since.

Obligatory preface: Howard was a piece of poo poo as a man and a politician.

But he was absolutely clued in on all the stuff he might need to know to maintain his image as a friendly old granddad. He'd get up around 5am and read through every major newspaper, go on his little jog and then do a whole bunch of TV and radio spots to constantly 'touch base' with his supporters.

He had the whole thing down to a fine loving art and it kept him in the PM's office for 11 years.

And may we never see his loving like again.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hey does anyone else remember people taking the piss out of Howard because he lived at home till his 30s or some poo poo

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

gently caress the media.

It amazes me how the project, abc and maybe seven west will attack the libs, right up until the election date is called and then do this massive almost robotic switch to ignoring the faults of the LNP and just sledging on the opposition from all angles.

There are angles to critique Labor and it shouldn't involve making it blatent that your donors or media mongul bosses have switched your programming.

But anything for a pay check Waleed.

Lol tv entertainers are all rich as gently caress, of course they all want the libs to win.

This is probably the biggest blind spot in Western culture - the notion that entertainers, who are all sufficiently loaded that they and their extended families could probably never work again and still expect a higher standard of living than 99.9% of the population, aren't the moneyed elite, and aren't gonna do everything they can to make sure the party least likely to touch their money gets in.

I'm sure Aly will have something to say when the hard right eventually stop fumbling around and actually get a knife in Morrison, and which point anyone darker than a sheet of A4 Reflex is going to become public enemy #1 - but for all we know he's bought the compound next door to Peter Thiel's over the Tasman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Rogue former Queensland LNP MP George Christensen has abandoned his plan to retire from ­parliament at the May 21 election and will run instead as a One ­Nation candidate. Which seat is not yet announced (he was in Dawson).