Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol his dads a mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Relevant Tangent posted:

they didn't want to admit how badly they'd hosed up in the first place and were desperately hoping it would magically go away

The fundamental rift comes from how authorities must insist that droplet transmission is the primary way that COVID spreads, as opposed to aerosol transmission.

In essence, both are true, but anyone in a positions of authority refuses to accept aerosols as a prime-mover, or ignore it altogether, because to acknowledge aerosol transmission would mean that a lot of the things that we allow people to do nowadays, shouldn't be allowed.

If COVID only ever spread through droplets:

Most any kind of mask would do. Cloth mask, gaiters, surgical masks. Aerosol transmission would mean we need to be telling people that even surgical masks aren't enough and everyone needs to be wearing N95s / KN95s / KF94s (and that people need to cover their goddamn nose when they wear a mask)

Social distancing might be enough. Since you can't ballistically spit a droplet farther than six feet, then even if you were NOT wearing a mask, you still wouldn't be able to infect anyone. Aerosol transmission would mean that social distancing is only valuable in terms of reducing crowding in indoor areas by adjusting maximum capacity of a given space, but doesn't actually grant any protection on its own because the aerosolized particles can cross the room

Plastic barriers would work. If you put a physical barrier between my mouth and your face (not counting the mask), then I can't infect you, because the droplets always hit the acrylic pane between us. Aerosol transmission would mean that this doesn't actually work - at best, it would slow the rate at which any one space is "invaded" by aerosolized COVID, but it still means indoor spread is very possible, and indeed might even be worsened depending on how the barriers interact with airflow.

Ventilation would not be needed. If COVID isn't airborne, then there's no need to make sure fresh/filtered air is constantly being fed into a space. Aerosol transmission would mean that it would be irresponsible to allow for indoor dining without instituting some kind of ventilation/air-filtration standards. It would be irresponsible to allow for full-capacity workplaces, for the same reasons. It would be irresponsible to allow for face-to-face classes, for the same reasons, and so on

The moment that a health official acknowledges that COVID is airborne, they have to admit to themselves that not only have we been doing things wrong for two years running, it means we've been wasting time for two years. We should have been retrofitting as many spaces as possible with opened windows. We should have been giving away air filtration systems to any office, mall, or other indoor space that can't afford to have its windows opened. We should have been giving away N95s all this time and teaching people that some masks are better than others.

But that would be too much work, that would cost too much, and that would cause too many economically-valuable activities to have to be banned for safety reasons.

So we don't do it.

The government's moves to bury OSHA's COVID guidelines in Q1 2021, followed by the CDC's recommendation to drop masking in May of that year, just before the OSHA guidelines were set to come out, would be a conspiracy worthy of this thread.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

The fundamental rift comes from how authorities must insist that droplet transmission is the primary way that COVID spreads, as opposed to aerosol transmission.

In essence, both are true, but anyone in a positions of authority refuses to accept aerosols as a prime-mover, or ignore it altogether, because to acknowledge aerosol transmission would mean that a lot of the things that we allow people to do nowadays, shouldn't be allowed.

If COVID only ever spread through droplets:

Most any kind of mask would do. Cloth mask, gaiters, surgical masks. Aerosol transmission would mean we need to be telling people that even surgical masks aren't enough and everyone needs to be wearing N95s / KN95s / KF94s (and that people need to cover their goddamn nose when they wear a mask)

Social distancing might be enough. Since you can't ballistically spit a droplet farther than six feet, then even if you were NOT wearing a mask, you still wouldn't be able to infect anyone. Aerosol transmission would mean that social distancing is only valuable in terms of reducing crowding in indoor areas by adjusting maximum capacity of a given space, but doesn't actually grant any protection on its own because the aerosolized particles can cross the room

Plastic barriers would work. If you put a physical barrier between my mouth and your face (not counting the mask), then I can't infect you, because the droplets always hit the acrylic pane between us. Aerosol transmission would mean that this doesn't actually work - at best, it would slow the rate at which any one space is "invaded" by aerosolized COVID, but it still means indoor spread is very possible, and indeed might even be worsened depending on how the barriers interact with airflow.

Ventilation would not be needed. If COVID isn't airborne, then there's no need to make sure fresh/filtered air is constantly being fed into a space. Aerosol transmission would mean that it would be irresponsible to allow for indoor dining without instituting some kind of ventilation/air-filtration standards. It would be irresponsible to allow for full-capacity workplaces, for the same reasons. It would be irresponsible to allow for face-to-face classes, for the same reasons, and so on

The moment that a health official acknowledges that COVID is airborne, they have to admit to themselves that not only have we been doing things wrong for two years running, it means we've been wasting time for two years. We should have been retrofitting as many spaces as possible with opened windows. We should have been giving away air filtration systems to any office, mall, or other indoor space that can't afford to have its windows opened. We should have been giving away N95s all this time and teaching people that some masks are better than others.

But that would be too much work, that would cost too much, and that would cause too many economically-valuable activities to have to be banned for safety reasons.

So we don't do it.

The government's moves to bury OSHA's COVID guidelines in Q1 2021, followed by the CDC's recommendation to drop masking in May of that year, just before the OSHA guidelines were set to come out, would be a conspiracy worthy of this thread.

so instead they’re culling the poor with extra steps. :nsa:

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

welp now i'm a sandy hook truther. they false flagged that school and groomed some of those kids to protest against the constitutionally guaranteed right of self defense

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BasicLich posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Epstein] welp now i'm a sandy hook truther

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

literally anything would be better than the current jokeline

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
out of the mouth of babes

remember when they called him the Hogg Child

I remember another Hog Child:

that's right, Babe: Pig in the City

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Leana Wen was a Rhodes Scholar, haha

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's just strike busting, OP. Everything looks like a nail when you've carried the union busting hammer for so long. The sick/disabled workers (and those avoiding becoming so) are the union on strike. That's the way the entire monied class sees it

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Fly Molo posted:

lol his dads a mod

so does his Twitter introspection eventually lead him to realize that the horrors his dad likely helped inflict on others are similarly terrible to what he experienced or…

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BasicLich posted:

welp now i'm a sandy hook truther. they false flagged that school and groomed some of those kids to protest against the constitutionally guaranteed right of self defense

wrong school massacre

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking of emma gonzalez and how her brief parkland kid profile totally evaporated

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mameluke posted:

Thinking of emma gonzalez and how her brief parkland kid profile totally evaporated

wasn't she the one most interested in screaming at democrats?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
finally got round to watching Under the Silver Lake last night, extremely This Thread content

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Barry Foster posted:

finally got round to watching Under the Silver Lake last night, extremely This Thread content

one of the best a24 movies, and they tried to bury it as hard as they could. direct to streaming in january! zero marketing! but of course it's a miracle it was made at all.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

BasicLich posted:

sandy hook was real, but still lol that the official story is still that he shot himself in the back of the head with a jammed gun

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shear Modulus posted:

lmao

why'd he tweet this, i wonder if he's not in on the op

https://www.twitter.com/cuttlefish_btc/status/842170381284872193

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Mameluke posted:

She's doing crypto now.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

inferis posted:

sandy hook was real, but still lol that the official story is still that he shot himself in the back of the head with a jammed gun

What's the theory on who got him then? Co-conspirator who escaped?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
First guy on scene lost it.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladin posted:

so does his Twitter introspection eventually lead him to realize that the horrors his dad likely helped inflict on others are similarly terrible to what he experienced or…

probably just makes him decide he needs to be a tough killer to protect the ‘sheep’ just like his dad. the world’s a cruel place, and so on, that sort of hosed up cliched poo poo. :nsa:

quote:

The Glock was found, apparently jammed, near Lanza, and the rifle was found several feet away from him.[83] A 9mm SIG Sauer P226, which was not fired during the incident, was found on Lanza's person.[85]

uhhh which gun did he use to kill himself? the rifle, and it just bounced several feet away?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

little timmy johnson from the aqua room was actually a very short undercover operator named hank florez. he iced the shooter with his concealed service weapon before blending back into the crowd. sadly his mission to root out a russian mole at the school known as "putin's hand" had to be scrapped, leading directly to the election of donald trump.

florez was last seen trying to apologize to a unidentified woman who kept screaming about "her turn"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1513714666953867266?s=20&t=d6EQPWPUyi-xkkdaLYpOlg

Lmao (???)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Parkland shooting was to remind cia parents they have soft points.

gently caress off

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sandweed posted:

She's doing crypto now.

really lol all I can find is that they now go by "X" and use they/them pronouns, nothing about any recent causes

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

brace's dad is not intelligence, i know because i asked my dad

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Fly Molo posted:

uhhh which gun did he use to kill himself? the rifle, and it just bounced several feet away?

Not saying this isn't suspicous but I've done some rifle drill and seen a few AR-15s getting spiked into the concrete, they can get a good bounce sometimes if they hit right

IIRC they usually flew the furthest when they landed on the butt

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hot date tonight! posted:

Not saying this isn't suspicous but I've done some rifle drill and seen a few AR-15s getting spiked into the concrete, they can get a good bounce sometimes if they hit right

IIRC they usually flew the furthest when they landed on the butt

well yeah it seems like a plausible explanation. falling bodies do all kinds of poo poo.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

First responder capping Lanza does seem plausible on the face of it, but I thought they had eyewitnesses who saw him shoot himself...?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mdemone posted:

First responder capping Lanza does seem plausible on the face of it, but I thought they had eyewitnesses who saw him shoot himself...?

there is nothing more unreliable than an eyewitness

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I've heard that people do sometimes do weird things like double shoot or whatever, which could explain the jam. The behind the head thing depends a lot on the angle.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mdemone posted:

If a first responder capped him, why not claim it? Seems like a fine opportunity for some copaganda.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Azathoth posted:

If a first responder capped him, why not claim it? Seems like a fine opportunity for some copaganda.

if it was execution-style you'd potentially want to spare the shooter the ordeal of an investigation & possible trial

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
bodycam footage might show him surrendering or something.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd believe the gun jamming after being fired in an awkward position, it can happen when not holding it well in a normal grip (limp wristing)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

Leana Wen was a Rhodes Scholar, haha

It's just strike busting, OP. Everything looks like a nail when you've carried the union busting hammer for so long. The sick/disabled workers (and those avoiding becoming so) are the union on strike. That's the way the entire monied class sees it

:nsa:

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Originally posted this in the wrong thread I assume because the FBI hacked my computer and changed the URL

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

this thread seems like it'll be good for my already donkified brains

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

the first tweet in this thread lol

selec
Sep 6, 2003

smarxist posted:

the first tweet in this thread lol

lmao this dude posted a long whiney “why not me?” screed whining about Chapo a few years back. I was like “Dude you have to put yourself out there, fame and opportunity don’t just parachute into your living room” and he replied with his bandcamp, which was the most boring, mediocrely written and recorded white dude/acoustic guitar poo poo i had ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

No, can't say I've had that experience David