Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What happened with Alonso? When I was watching he was at 6th or 7th place, made an early pit stop and then ~fart~.

e: woah motogp snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

spaceblancmange posted:

Found Tony on Motorsport.com

:staredog:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

busalover posted:

What happened with Alonso? When I was watching he was at 6th or 7th place, made an early pit stop and then ~fart~.

e: woah motogp snipe

He hosed his tyres, huge graining on the front tyre. Everyone is getting their heads around how these new wheels/tyres work and Alpine got it very wrong

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Double posted

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It’s truly incredible how often these people confuse constitutionally protected freedom of speech as applying to private platforms

Not even breaching the topic of which countries besides America actually have freedom of speech

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

spaceblancmange posted:

Wokeula 1

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

spaceblancmange posted:

good to see he's alive and well

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

I wonder if he will join Mazepin’s league of cancelled drivers

Perhaps he will control his narrative

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

italian quid posted:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

your friend wicka posted:

Perhaps he will control his narrative

:dudsmile: Sounds about right.

And whether you’re gonna laugh at Toto or not, he absolutely has it right that a race director shouldn’t be the main character to the degree Masi became.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

italian quid posted:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

harperdc posted:

:dudsmile: Sounds about right.

And whether you’re gonna laugh at Toto or not, he absolutely has it right that a race director shouldn’t be the main character to the degree Masi became.

a situation F1 created itself when it decided that every team - race director interaction should be broadcast to the universe

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
we all love big tony and scuderia ferrari itt

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Remember when Charlie had to do that drivers press conference after Vettel rammed Lewis and then swore at him, and he was sat there like a beloved uncle who's not mad just disappointed? See, also; those youtube drivers briefings where it's just Grosjean bitching about minor infringements.

I have to wonder if someone decided to broadcast Masi's radio reactions because he was such a pain to work with and they wanted to expose this. :tinfoil:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Max Verstopped-en

Still working this one out but it's going to be good.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I am now partial to the names Strolldanado and Latifanado

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

ilmucche posted:

baku. recently, but watch 2017,2019,2020,2021 they're all amazing

Ok I am watching 2017 right now and this is an absolutely amazing clusterfuck. There's already been a safety car within a safety car and parts are flying off cars left and right.

Also, it said it was Max's 4th retirement in the last 6 races when he went out. Lmao.

Aaaand there's a red flag.

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 12, 2022

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
whats up with alboin I thought you had to change tires once

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

styls trill epic posted:

He did on his last lap.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

styls trill epic posted:

He changed his tyres on the very last lap.

I think there are Rules over points for when the pit lane runs alongside the start finish line though.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

net work error posted:

Max Verstopped-en

Max Verstoppen

Max BeStoppin

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

net work error posted:

Max Verstopped-en

I like it, reminds me of when his car stopped. lol

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

spaceblancmange posted:

I like it, reminds me of when his car stopped. lol

Which time? Bahrain or Austrailia?

Can Max only finish races in repressive theocratic ethnostates where he feels comfortable? Think about it his last real win before Saudi was in Texas.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Abisteen posted:

Ok I am watching 2017 right now and this is an absolutely amazing clusterfuck. There's already been a safety car within a safety car and parts are flying off cars left and right.

Also, it said it was Max's 4th retirement in the last 6 races when he went out. Lmao.

Aaaand there's a red flag.

lance stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

acidx posted:

lance stroll driver of the day

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lol if Williams start him on mediums and box him lap 1 for hards next time they're predicted to last that long.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 12, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

busalover posted:

He was on medium tyres which turned out to be poo poo, and he got stuck at the back of the stroll train burning his rubber off. It's why he was on the radio complaining that gasly needed to hurry the gently caress up and pass Stroll.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

It’s only Cancel Culture if it comes from the Cancélle Region of France. Otherwise it’s just Sparkling Consequences.

irl lol

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So why is it a rule that cars have to change tyres at least once? If it's physically possible to go the whole race on one set why not let that happen?

I know why they do change, but why is it mandatory?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Aphex- posted:

So why is it a rule that cars have to change tyres at least once? If it's physically possible to go the whole race on one set why not let that happen?

I believe it's mainly for the show.
Pitstops force teams to make strategy calls, have faster and slower stints and of course there is the danger of a botched pitstop.

There's already too much tyre saving in F1 as it is.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Watching cars drive around in formation actively avoiding racing each because they're trying to conserve tires at all costs sounds even more boring than a formula one race.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Makes sense tbh

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How so? I’ve been around race tracks enough to know race control doesn’t want any vehicle on track that they didn’t give specific permission to during a session. I’ve had tracks refuse me riding a moped around them even when sessions were closed and track was empty. It makes obvious sense to have tight control on what vehicles are cruising around.

Sorry this was days ago and about Vettel on scooter.

Everything you say is right but the rules say people are allowed on track driving OR walking with permission of only a marshal, which Vettel says he had.

So he broke nothing but $5k is cheap publicity.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Aphex- posted:

Makes sense tbh

There was actually a year (2005 iirc) when they banned tyre changes. That died when Kimi flat spotted a tyre so badly that a few laps later it snapped his suspension.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Aphex- posted:

Before we had Pirelli we had Bridgestone, who considered it a matter of pride to makes tyres that lasted forever, with no variation in performance. This also happened to be an era of when F1 cars were bad for racing. The two compound rule was a way of forcing pitstops and different strategies.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 12, 2022

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Aphex- posted:

Makes sense tbh

It also more or less popped up after refueling was banned. Before that, refueling alone was a very important piece of strategy, and while the car was sitting there getting fueled, changing the tyres was a no-brainer as most of the time, if it wasn’t a splash-and-dash stop, the refueling took longer anyway.

When all that was banned, FIA found out that pit stops can shake things up, made Pirelli introduce different tyres which teams could freely pick from (I think it was five or six tyre compounds at one point) before the race. It just changed in recent years that only three compounds of slicks are available.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Dudley posted:

There was actually a year (2005 iirc) when they banned tyre changes. That died when Kimi flat spotted a tyre so badly that a few laps later it snapped his suspension.

On the last lap I think

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

More pitstops means more chances to talk about Pirelli

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

net work error posted:

More pitstops means more chances to talk about Pirelli

Albon…good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

tuo posted:

When all that was banned, FIA found out that pit stops can shake things up, made Pirelli introduce different tyres which teams could freely pick from (I think it was five or six tyre compounds at one point) before the race. It just changed in recent years that only three compounds of slicks are available.

It was actually 7 dry compounds at its peak, that hilarious period where even the softs were lasting too long so Pirelli introduced 4 different types of soft. Also an ultra hard that I don't think was ever used just so they could say they weren't just focusing on making softer tires.