Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Going with teams that weren’t tied to existing clubs would have been loving insane imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
MRP is hosed.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
The other issue with expanding at the rate they have is the lack of umpires at amateur level.

Gill said heading into this season that they were around 6,000 umpires short across the country.

So excluding goal umpiring (which are rarely done by real umps) let's say you'd need a minimum of 4 umpires per game - 2 boundary and 2 field, and let's conservatively say they'd umpire 2 matches each on a weekend, that's an order of magnitude of 3,000 matches a week around the country which can't go ahead due to a lack of umpires.

Obviously this affects both the existing men's leagues as well as the rapidly growing women's leagues, which causes a crunch for bringing in new talent to the game.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

monolithburger posted:

MRP is hosed.

AFLW is hosed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

The other issue with expanding at the rate they have is the lack of umpires at amateur level.

Gill said heading into this season that they were around 6,000 umpires short across the country.

So excluding goal umpiring (which are rarely done by real umps) let's say you'd need a minimum of 4 umpires per game - 2 boundary and 2 field, and let's conservatively say they'd umpire 2 matches each on a weekend, that's an order of magnitude of 3,000 matches a week around the country which can't go ahead due to a lack of umpires.

Obviously this affects both the existing men's leagues as well as the rapidly growing women's leagues, which causes a crunch for bringing in new talent to the game.

As someone who refs amateur sport, why on earth would you want to ref amateur sport?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Going with teams that weren’t tied to existing clubs would have been loving insane imo.

100% agreed. Not only would it have resulted in a fraction of the current audience, but the clubs also have lots of infrastructure and support staff that are massive resources for their AFLW teams. If the teams weren't tied to specific clubs then that wouldn't have really been possible.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NPR Journalizard posted:

As someone who refs amateur sport, why on earth would you want to ref amateur sport?

Some people just like to be threatened by bogans alright, don’t shame

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Gils Gone

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-12/gillon-mclachlan-to-step-down-as-afl-boss/100984490

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Thank gently caress, can take the stand rule with him.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
That's deranged behaviour.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Yeah that's hosed up

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Just your average south Australian, lucky he didn’t put Hamish in a barrel

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

:eyepop:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I know they say many CEOs are psychopaths but loving hell

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
We Need to Talk About Gillon

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I assumed that was fake because surely there's no way that's real right

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Who is writing that? "Not that he was a troublesome kid," ummmmm

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If you search his name and cattle crush there are enough mentions of the story, although at a glance I didn’t see a version with the bit about his mum included, which is what imo puts it into actual psychopath territory rather than abusive bully brother

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chairchucker posted:

I assumed that was fake because surely there's no way that's real right

It's got some Michael Clarke's autobiography excerpts about it, but it has terror instead of comedy, so I don't know

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I wish I got paid to do Max Laughton's job.

I can take numbers and push out random bullshit metrics too!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

He used to post here

I like his articles

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 13, 2022

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Getting real Jesse Hogan vibes from all the hype about Luke Jackson's contract situation and what he's worth

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

He used to post here

I like his articles

dshban also used to (still does?) a wrestling podcast that I used to listen to, good times

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

"He's just an excitable boy"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can we stop this agenda to make it a night grand final? Pretty sure majority do not want this.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm fine with a night grand final

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Why though, you don't get to celebrate it afterwards? Personally it'd probably be on at a better time internationally for me, but I just don't see the need or desire to change it. Having it mid afternoon was always alright and I don't understand what the fuss is around "needing" to change it as opposed to suggesting it be changed.

ps. if we're changing things and doing twilight GFs, then interstate GFs should be on the card after last year. If it's two non-vic teams in the Grand Final then gently caress playing it in Melbourne.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
No night grand finals. No!!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Diet Crack posted:

ps. if we're changing things and doing twilight GFs, then interstate GFs should be on the card after last year. If it's two non-vic teams in the Grand Final then gently caress playing it in Melbourne.

This 100%

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Diet Crack posted:

Why though, you don't get to celebrate it afterwards?

What kind of celebrations do you need to do in the immediate aftermath? Is there a combination of needing immediacy and day time hours?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: interstate GFs.

Personally the best and fairest option for me would be to do it like the US does it with Superbowls, and FIFA does with Champions League Finals.

i.e. At the start of the year you say, the 2022 GF will be in Melbourne. And if it is a Port vs Freo GF, then gently caress em, they play in Melbourne. But the 2023 GF will be in Adelaide, and if it is a Essendon vs Richmond GF, then gently caress them too, they play in Adelaide. Then in 2024 it moves to Sydney, and let's say it is now a Hawthorn vs Brisbane GF, those two teams also have to play at an interstate venue. And so on and so forth moving the GF to a different state every year. Perhaps even on a regular rotating schedule.

So if you are lucky enough to have a "home" GF, then good luck to you, but it is a matter of timing and luck. Also every state gets to reap the benefits of supporters travelling, and the whole Grand Final circus and all the benefits/hoopla that come along with that.

I don't see many problems. All states have a big enough ground to accommodate the GF, (some bigger than others, but thems the breaks), all states have at least 2 teams, so it is mathematically possible to have an all "home" non Vic GF. And when it is in Perth, those on the Eastern side of the country can pretend it is a twilight GF due to time difference.

Edit: I also dislike night Grand Finals. But with no real reason to it. I just like the biggest game of the year being played on a Saturday afternoon is all. YAY me and my old man opinions.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Morning final.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I like being able to have a bbq before watching the Grand final and I also like being able to watch the Grand final and then go and do something after.

At the end of September, afternoon is way better for both.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Diet Crack posted:

I prefer day GFs but if his is what it takes to get interstate GFs as well then I'll take it!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sorry for the double post.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/nothing-has-changed-lumumba-stops-communications-with-collingwood-20220413-p5ad4f.html

But in breaking news, Collingwood is still racist, and this time it is not only Lumumba saying so. Leon Davis and Andrew Krakouer have added their voices.

To be fair, did anyone expect anything to actually be done about the "Do Better" report? Given the state of Collingwood, (and indeed football in general), despite how much noise was made, nothing was going to be done. Publicly announcing you are going to do something is a hell of a lot easier than actually doing something.

Hell, look at the way that Collingwood and Eddie hosed up the announcement of the report. Self serving weasel mouthed toadies more concerned with how they look than with dealing with or confronting their past behaviour, or the welfare of the indigenous people at the club.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Starting to look like Australian organisations are really bad at not being racist. :/

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

Starting to look like Australian organisations are really bad at not being racist. :/

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Chairchucker posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

yeah :/