Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bottom Liner posted:

these rule what is wrong with you

They did say it was their favorite.

Personally mine is Mazes & Monsters, where the lesson is "RPGs will destroy your brain... if your brain was weirdly susceptible to destruction and was just waiting for a catalyst of any kind."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

theironjef posted:

Personally mine is Mazes & Monsters, where the lesson is "RPGs will destroy your brain... if your brain was weirdly susceptible to destruction and was just waiting for a catalyst of any kind."

The more you learn about this hobby and/or industry the more you realize how accurate this actually is.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Power Puff Girls gets everything wrong about chemistry, you can't create three superpowered little girls from things like sugar and spice, did the writers consult ANYONE before they wrote this???

I sure hope someone got fired over that blunder!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have a Master's degree in chemistry and I can confirm that you can create three superpowered little girls from things like sugar and spice

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kai Tave posted:

The more you learn about this hobby and/or industry the more you realize how accurate this actually is.

i mean. yes, if your brain is weirdly susceptible to outside influence and you're like the Dean from community then you should probably not be playing DnD

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Andrast posted:

I have a Master's degree in chemistry and I can confirm that you can create three superpowered little girls from things like sugar and spice

Really? I took a 102 level course once and they said it took some pretty gnarly additives.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

not ones that are the size of a wal-mart

also jesus christ guys, i didnt say the content was bad, I really liked the show growing up. I stated it was my favorite example of writers not knowing what DnD is but writing about it anyway. I think there was an episode of dexter where one of his targets kidnapped a woman and dressed up as a minotaur and dumped her in a small makeshift maze in his basement because of DnD which was also pretty good

Are you sure you're not thinking of Venture Bros

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Venture Bros

Nah that reference was kind of lame since it mostly served as a punchline for the Soriyama revenge joke - revenge for giving him fake weed, loving his bitch or beating the poo poo out of him, but Rusty's cardinal sin was he cucked him in a game of DnD

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Startup culture with the hustleharder bros are all about grafting whatever buzzword is the new hotness onto their bullshit and waving it in the hope that a VC will see it. Here's hoping this jerk at least takes millions from suckers like Kissinger and Betsy Devos.

theironjef posted:

Ugh, my dad was a detective in the 80s and 90s and he expressly forbade me playing the game because of Satanic panic. He thought this movie was a documentary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Nah that reference was kind of lame since it mostly served as a punchline for the Soriyama revenge joke - revenge for giving him fake weed, loving his bitch or beating the poo poo out of him, but Rusty's cardinal sin was he cucked him in a game of DnD

See the difference is that the writers there clearly know what D&D is and more importantly the people who play it

See also Dexter's Laboratory, which even shows how a power tripping adversarial DM sucks compared to one who wants everyone to have fun

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Startup culture with the hustleharder bros are all about grafting whatever buzzword is the new hotness onto their bullshit and waving it in the hope that a VC will see it. Here's hoping this jerk at least takes millions from suckers like Kissinger and Betsy Devos.

Ugh, my dad was a detective in the 80s and 90s and he expressly forbade me playing the game because of Satanic panic. He thought this movie was a documentary.

My Jehovah's Witness neighbors gave my mom a bunch of pamphlets when they found out I was playing D&D, which were actually well-researched enough to have page citations in the books for things like playable assassins, demons, devils, etc. My mom asked me what the deal was, so I showed her how, like, the page that supposedly had human sacrifice rules actually had, IDK, rules for how much coins weigh and how to charter a ship, and she concluded the pamphlets were just weird religious hysteria... which of course they were, but I might have neglected to explain the difference between the 1e PHB and the 2e PHB.

Years later she somehow stumbled on the infamous Dead Alewives "I'm attacking the darkness!" skit with the note "Please tell me this is not what you're doing when you play that game," so I think she realized it was all a bit silly.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I got into the only face-to-face DnD group I've ever had because my sister watched the episodes of Community about DnD and got interested, so I agreed to run it for her and some friends and we ended up having an amazing time. So I am in favour of it being on TV. Though I think those Community episodes are pretty accurate to what DnD is like, at least filtered through the sitcom lens of everything being extreme.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

HopperUK posted:

I got into the only face-to-face DnD group I've ever had because my sister watched the episodes of Community about DnD and got interested, so I agreed to run it for her and some friends and we ended up having an amazing time. So I am in favour of it being on TV. Though I think those Community episodes are pretty accurate to what DnD is like, at least filtered through the sitcom lens of everything being extreme.

The uncomfortable Drow blackface is 100% accurate, at least.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

Mostly I remember the DM whose shtick was 'wore silly hats.'

GimpInBlack posted:

The uncomfortable Drow blackface is 100% accurate, at least.

Every time I see a Drow now I think of Shirley saying "So we just going to ignore this hate crime?"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- grown men are scared their dnd characters will be killed by other DnD characters

This was actually part of the oldest school D&D games. You built fortresses because the game ran In real time and the other party's could raid your loot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBsxmHs070

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Dawgstar posted:

Mostly I remember the DM whose shtick was 'wore silly hats.'

A valued ancestor on the road to the professional DM's mask.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

HopperUK posted:

The only episode of that show I ever saw was Chevy Chase powertripping over the players with a super OP antagonistic player character, and the others having to find a way to defeat him It was wild how realistic it was.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man oh man I just watched that Recess bit. Pretty standard Eddie Deezen nerd voice, has all the hoary tropes of game nerds (other nerds afraid of the main nerd because his character is high level, nerds never going outdoors, etc) but can we all agree that the bullies calling the nerds "The pale kids" and "Those pale-y pale-y pale ones over there" rings out real weird when there's a Black nerd in the group? The 90s, dang.

Also I love how they have to crank the dial of nerdery up to like "You have to wear a robot hat" to get past the fact that half the original Recess gang are already stereotypical D&D nerds.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

theironjef posted:

I remember watching it with my parents and assuring them that D&D was not actually like that. Aside from seeing Tom Hanks in a role that will surprise and touch you, it was based on a book that was based on a true story of a mentally ill kid who went to Michigan State University at age 16 and made his first of several suicide attempts in the steam tunnels there. He didn't even live to see age 18 but he had played D&D once so avast, moral panic off the starboard bow!

homullus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 12, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's probably how liches feel about us just breaking into their houses and getting ourselves killed.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Power Puff Girls gets everything wrong about chemistry, you can't create three superpowered little girls from things like sugar and spice, did the writers consult ANYONE before they wrote this???

If you actually paid attention you'd know it was Chemical X with gave them their super powers, which as we all know DOES give things super powers, SMH. Honestly, the real failure of chemistry was the dude just having a big glass jug of it hanging over his chemistry cookpot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Omnicrom posted:

If you actually paid attention you'd know it was Chemical X with gave them their super powers, which as we all know DOES give things super powers, SMH. Honestly, the real failure of chemistry was the dude just having a big glass jug of it hanging over his chemistry cookpot.

Ah, but if you watch the show you realise it was really the fault of the Professor's pet monkey, who happened to be named Mojo

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah, but if you watch the show you realise it was really the fault of the Professor's pet monkey, who happened to be named Mojo

Really it was a cascade of poor safety choices that lead to this happening, him doing SCIENCE at home in an unregulated laboratory, him putting the container of Chemical X in a glass flask, him keeping said glass flask suspended from the ceiling above his work area, him doing SCIENCE underneath that same flask, him having a poorly trained monkey in the laboratory, him having the poorly trained and rambunctious monkey in the room with him when he did SCIENCE... At any one of those points Professor Utonium could have avoided a laboratory accident by simply working within accepted safety standards.

This is why we have OSHA people.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
My parents played D&D together while they were dating. I even found the loving badass dragon poster my mom drew for their campaign last time I visited. :smugdog:

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
https://twitter.com/AdiraSlattery/status/1513941487909670912
hahahahahahahaa

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

They should have sent a poet.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
He's 100% the kind of marketing shitbird who is probably wishing he thought of it first.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I am not surprised in the slightest but this still hit me like a smack in the face. loving Daniel Fox. Of course.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

He's 100% the kind of marketing shitbird who is probably wishing he thought of it first.
He is absolutely kicking himself for not thinking of "character sheet NFTs" first.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/martindubu/status/1513944297606889472

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I suspect that Mr Fox would find that tremendously flattering.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is not surprising, really, but I did not expect it.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

DressCodeBlue posted:

My parents played D&D together while they were dating. I even found the loving badass dragon poster my mom drew for their campaign last time I visited. :smugdog:

Can we see the dragon poster?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, that really is fitting. The only thing he's ever done with a claim to fame was a game that had already been done and with maybe an improvement here or there (I don't know, I own Zweihander because it just turned up in my DTRPG library one day but I sure didn't buy it) but mostly just tries to be loud and important about the field he is ostensibly working in.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Apparently he's made public comments about how dumb NFTs are. So this would be surprising if you ever thought he had a sincere belief about anything other than whatever gets him the most clicks, votes, or fame at the exact moment to his specific audience.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

LaSquida posted:

Can we see the dragon poster?
I took a pic but it's been 5 years and I can't find it. :smith:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I guess it's possible he's just trolling them and/or gathering research for some kind of expose, but I don't give enough of poo poo to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

Man, that really is fitting. The only thing he's ever done with a claim to fame was a game that had already been done and with maybe an improvement here or there (I don't know, I own Zweihander because it just turned up in my DTRPG library one day but I sure didn't buy it) but mostly just tries to be loud and important about the field he is ostensibly working in.

He managed to make Warhammer more racist and gross, which is pretty impressive.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Me too. From hazy old memories, I think there was basically a time when you couldn't touch anything RPG related online without him offerring a free copy of Zweihander and picked it up then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Mors Rattus posted:

He managed to make Warhammer more racist and gross, which is pretty impressive.

really? can you give any examples? i have a copy of warhammer fantasy 4th ed and a friend just bought zwiehander, i'd like any ammunition to bring to the table to use my books over his....
oh wait, i read that as he made a more racist warhammer....