Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I think NPC Invasions can involve time travel, in a way. There's two Hoslow brothers, one of whom you kill for volcano manor and the whip they both drop says it's a unique heirloom of their family, making you having two of them some sort of time paradox. You also invade members of the original roundtable hold who are almost certainly long dead. I'm not sure if it ever states that Rykard was eaten willingly or not but yeah he wants to eat strong people and absorb their power.

this would particularly make sense with respect to the Erdtree being a psychopomp that determines who gets reborn and who gets retained/imprisoned to further empower the tree. Rykard is in the early stages of creating a makeshift "tree" of his own, by devouring people's souls and sending some of them back out to peel off powerful loyal spirits in addition to more diplomatic methods of recruitment

a lot of speculation but it puts all his actions in context and just makes them morally unhinged instead of completely random "lol he's crazy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Finally beat the game. I like to get pretty into the lore when I play From games, so I took some notes while playing. Been writing up a timeline of the game for myself and while trying to piece things together, I came to this conclusion about some of the ancient civilizations in The Lands Between. Interested to see thoughts from any of the other lore fans on here. I will spoiler the sections pertaining to one of the civilizations, since they relate to one of the optional bosses in the game.

The game mentions 4 ancient civilizations that seem to be dated further back than others, but their history in terms of geography, time period, and interactions with the other societies is murky at best.
    - The Onyx/Alabaster Lords who were “a race of ancients with skin of stone who were said to have risen to life when a meteor struck long ago” [Onyx/Alabstor Lord’s Greatsword].
    - An unclear group of lords in an unclear geographic area who worshipped god known as The Scarlet Rot before it was sealed away [Mushroom Crown, Scorpion’s Stinger].
    - A civilization “gone to ruin” never give a name. They were the creators of all the mechanical constructs in the games. From literal item descriptions we know those to be The Golems, Imps, Watchdogs, Stonesword Keys, and Crystal Darts [Golem Greatbow/Greataxe, Various Imp Masks, Crystal Darts]. An interesting example of delivering narrative through gameplay mechanics, is that crystal darts make all construct enemies go berserk. Other than the literal item descriptions referenced above, there are some convincing aesthetic decisions that tie this civilization to a few more structures in the game—namely the visual motif of a stone structure with a magic light source that powers it similar to the Golems. This design appears in the intricate stone elevators found in the Divine Towers & Well entrances and the Waygates. The design is also utilized in the Evergaols & The Abnormal Stone Cluster enemies, but that issue is a bit more complicated, and I discuss below.
    - The Era before the Erdtree Era featured a society comprised of dragons & the subservient beastmen and was ruled by Elden Lords known as Dragonlords. The Dragonlord dynasty is a religious monarchy that utilized the same organization as The Golden Order (Celestial God—Physical Vessel—Consort/Elden Lord). Dragonlord Placidusax served as the Elden Lord, but the God & Vessel of this dynasty remain unknown [Remembrance of the Dragonlord]. It’s unclear where this dynasty was located geographically, with the only information being Placidusax’s Elden Throne was “at the heart of the storm beyond time”. Farum Azula is actually a mausoleum structure built for Placidusax’s corpse/slumber [Azula Beastmen Ashes] and does not indicate the area the actual active Dynasty reigned.

Let’s talk about a possible connection between these groups. Abnormal Stone Cluster enemies drop a ruin fragment of Farum Azula on death. If you look at the design of the abnormal stone cluster, you can actually see the ruin fragment, and it’s clear that fragment is the source of the purple light that is likely keeping the construct together. Of note, the most common place to find Abnormal Stone Clusters are the Evergaols, which also happen to be stone structures that have a purple glow when activated. I am going to use this to infer that whoever built Farum Azula also built the Evergaols and Abnormal Stone Clusters. If we take into account that Farum Azula is a mausoleum for Placidusax, it would be fair to infer that it was built while the Dragonlord dynasty was collapsing/dying. Whichever group is responsible for building Farum Azula, they were either a direct part of the Dragonlord Dynasty or a neighboring civilization that watched its demise.

So, who built the Evergoals & The Abnormal Stone Constructs? I think there are three arguments that could be made:
    -The Mechanical Construct Civilization built them because they are consistent with the same stone construct-magical light engine aesthetic motif seen in the Golems, Waygates, & Divine Tower/River Entrance Elevators. There are also stonesword key imps in Farum Azula.
    -The Alabaster/Onyx Lords built them because the purple light is the same purple hue gravity magic utilizes and this type of sorcery “originates” from the Alabaster/Onyx lords [Meteorite, Rock Sling, Gravity Well]. When the Abnormal Stone Clusters engage their self-destruct attack, they glow bright purple directly before exploding, and it basically resembles the Rock Sling spell. The Alabster/Onyx lords also already have another connection to the Dragonlord Dynasty in that both them & the dragons share the physical feature of stone skin [Gravel Stone, Any of the Defensive Talismans]. If this connection is true, we could then probably assume that Farum Azula levitates because of gravity magic.
    -All of the above is true because the Alabaster/Onyx Lords and The Mechanical Construct Civilization are one & the same entity.

I would really like the 3rd option to be correct, because it would be more elegant. Gravity magic being used to power elevators makes sense. If gravity magic is responsible for the Evergaol’s ability to wrap prisoners to an alternate dimension, then using that same tech for the Waygates is consistent. One issue with this theory is that the Divine Tower/ Well elevators & Waygates utilize a white light rather than a purple light, and From Software is usually not sloppy with their aesthetic design. If this turns out to be correct though, then it’s quite possible that the Stone Lords were simply part of the Dragonlord Dynasty, and 3 out of the 4 of these ancient beings are part of the same civilization.

What about the Scarlet Rot worshippers? Turns out we can link them as well via the legend of The Blind Swordsman, which also connects to The Erdtree Dynasty. There is a unique dungeon in Limgrave called the Highroad Cave. The boss is a special Golem construct named The Guardian Golem, which holds “a precious item” [Wherever Fextralife get their enemy descriptions]. This item is the Blue Dancer Charm, which states there is a legend of a fairy who bestows on a flowing sword upon a blind swordsman, who then uses the weapon to seal away an ancient god that was rot itself [Blue Dancer Charm, Flowing Curved Sword]. This swordsman would go on to become Malenia’s mentor [Prosthesis-Wearer Heirloom].

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

loquacius posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with the Banished Knights in Stormveil, specifically the guy near Rogier's chapel who has a greatsword and shield.

I'm using a greatsword and shield myself, and the problem is that (a) I don't have the stamina to block an entire combo of his, (b) if I dodge one attack, he just gets me with the next one, and (c) I keep getting staggered and stunlocked and I cannot for the life of me stagger him a single time, so whenever I get in a hit at least one (probably two) is coming right back at me.

Another problem is that when I do a search for "elden ring banished knight" I just get like a zillion results about their armor set so I can't use online resources like I have before.

Any tips???

Jump attacks are very strong and flinch enemies like banished knights fairly easily.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

loquacius posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with the Banished Knights in Stormveil, specifically the guy near Rogier's chapel who has a greatsword and shield.

I'm using a greatsword and shield myself, and the problem is that (a) I don't have the stamina to block an entire combo of his, (b) if I dodge one attack, he just gets me with the next one, and (c) I keep getting staggered and stunlocked and I cannot for the life of me stagger him a single time, so whenever I get in a hit at least one (probably two) is coming right back at me.

Another problem is that when I do a search for "elden ring banished knight" I just get like a zillion results about their armor set so I can't use online resources like I have before.

Any tips???

Jump R2 then roll away twice until another opening. A great sword should be enough to interrupt most attacks EXCEPT the stomp+whirlwind which sucks balls and you should always roll away for that one.

Also try light armour if you’re struggling w stamina, maybe the stamina flask as well.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
That specific knight you can just wait at the top of the ladder near him to walk by then run past him too.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

loquacius posted:

Any tips???

2H the GS and whack him with a jump. If he does the stormy-leapy-thing, wait a second and dodge into it (you can even get a free backstab here if you like). Most other attacks he performs, a jumping L2 or even L1 will interrupt him.

If this still doesn't make you happy, upgrade a dagger or misericorde and either parry (anything besides the storm weapon arts) or backstab (roll 2-3 times tops, stab in the back).

If you're getting hit with follow-ups after rolling, you're likely a) rolling backwards and b) spamming follow-up rolls. Almost always roll into attacks, and jump over some horizontal swipes for free damage. The second attack is delayed for most chains, and in general enemies will have a lot of delayed attacks designed to catch roll-spamming. Make sure you're not holding up a shield inbetween, so that you regenerate stamina.

Also consider choosing between heavy weapons and holding up a shield. The benefit of big sticks is that they stagger when 2-handed or powerstanced, but they take a lot of stamina and equip load to do that. Both things a shield competes for (also shields kinda boring except for parrying, ngl).

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
decided to try the haligtree and spent ages trying to make sure I had everything upgraded and my loadout was optimal after a couple of botched respecs I didn't plan out well enough, wound up immediately falling off and dying because of the dootmen shooting at me. Immediately quit out and decided to try again when I have a day off work in a week

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My instinct is always to roll to the side, but this just gets me combo'd, especially from the whirlwind thing. I'll play around with dodging into stuff, and I actually haven't been jump-attacking so far but that seems like it'll be an important strategy if I keep rolling STR. The idea of jumping over sword strikes is an especially good tip. Thanks guys :tipshat:

I taught myself to dodge-roll fighting the Night's Cavalry in Weeping Peninsula, and side-rolling worked wonders there because he was weak on the side he wasn't holding his flail on, but it sounds like it's a bad idea in the general case.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
If I could have one more question answered it'd be why tf are vulgar militia so small, like what are they? Humans? Goblin freaks?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

this is fantastic work

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

That specific knight you can just wait at the top of the ladder near him to walk by then run past him too.

or if you're cool, jump from the right spot outside where the grace is over the pit onto the roof and then down from there (make sure it's a running jump though) and ignore the birds too

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Yupp, although it sounds like an odd move to have your spy wear a team jersey.

In news nobody should care about :
I've been experimenting with builds that aren't beaten to death entirely. Discovered that curved swords in general, but Bandit's Curved Swords particularly (still have to try out Shamshir, since it's annoying to get more than one) are really, really good when dual-wielded. Easy enough to forget even if you started as a warrior.

You can run them many ways too, and still do metric assloads of damage. Right now I'm running Sacred or Flame Art (Sacred Blade for Farum Azula seems solid) with 60 Faith at lvl 120, and each sword pops out 600-odd AR that comes out pretty fast. The jump attack seems to be able to connect incredibly early, and the running attack can move you pretty far and stays out for a while without making you immobile. The R2 comes with the classic cancel-into-backflip, but will hit twice if charged. For all-out damage, Winged Sword Insignia (don't have the better version yet), Sacred Blade on one sword + whatever buffs you want to run. The output can really, really be scaled up to be nutso.

For the Banished Knights, I've been mostly just backstabbing and parrying them with a misericorde. They're really weak to both those, and you can swap the crit ring in and fire off RKR/determination before stabbing if you really want to flex.

Playing around with things, daggers seem to have a 3-hit powerstance L1

i dislike powerstance daggers for that reason.

I like curved swords though. scavenger sword is my fav. it has innate bleed so the jumping and running L1s that have 4? hits will proc bleed almost immediately. or you can add frost or whatever effect you want to it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?lang=en-GB

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

loquacius posted:

My instinct is always to roll to the side, but this just gets me combo'd, especially from the whirlwind thing. I'll play around with dodging into stuff, and I actually haven't been jump-attacking so far but that seems like it'll be an important strategy if I keep rolling STR. The idea of jumping over sword strikes is an especially good tip. Thanks guys :tipshat:

I taught myself to dodge-roll fighting the Night's Cavalry in Weeping Peninsula, and side-rolling worked wonders there because he was weak on the side he wasn't holding his flail on, but it sounds like it's a bad idea in the general case.

The sides are fine, just pay some attention to the direction of the swing. Generally rolling through the swing will make the timing more generous. And you also want to of course more-and-more be in a good position to punish after 1 or 2 rolls.

Many things are avoidable with a perfectly timed roll in almost any direction. But a very half-assed roll in the correct direction, or jump over a horizontal swing/stomp, will be much, much more generous and therefore also leave you more time to punish.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

loquacius posted:

Any tips???

Those guys are huge assholes. You might try an ash of war with good stagger potential. Spinning slash or impaling thrust (with a great sword) are both really good for breaking enemies stance and neither should be terribly hard to land. You should be able to interrupt most of the knight’s moves with those, and a couple of them will open them up for a critical.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

So I finally made it to the Lake of Rot last night and I raised up all the pillars before I fell off the tall ones and the Godskin rear end in a top hat killed me before I could heal up.
Since I raised that platform it doesn't seem like I can get back up onto it now. Do I have to find a new path up or is there a way back onto the platform that I'm just not seeing?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Should be a ladder there

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Video Nasty posted:

So I finally made it to the Lake of Rot last night and I raised up all the pillars before I fell off the tall ones and the Godskin rear end in a top hat killed me before I could heal up.
Since I raised that platform it doesn't seem like I can get back up onto it now. Do I have to find a new path up or is there a way back onto the platform that I'm just not seeing?

There's a ladder you can use to climb back up.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Those guys are huge assholes. You might try an ash of war with good stagger potential. Spinning slash or impaling thrust (with a great sword) are both really good for breaking enemies stance and neither should be terribly hard to land. You should be able to interrupt most of the knight’s moves with those, and a couple of them will open them up for a critical.

Yeah, I was dicking around with the ones in CFA last night using different weapons, and holy poo poo it's really hard to fight them with a straight sword and shield, or even two straight swords. For the last 70 hours I've been jump-attack staggering things with big maces or greatswords, and I basically haven't learned how to deal with these kinds of enemies when they don't even acknowledge it when I hit them.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Megasabin posted:

Finally beat the game. I like to get pretty into the lore when I play From games, so I took some notes while playing. Been writing up a timeline of the game for myself and while trying to piece things together, I came to this conclusion about some of the ancient civilizations in The Lands Between. Interested to see thoughts from any of the other lore fans on here. I will spoiler the sections pertaining to one of the civilizations, since they relate to one of the optional bosses in the game.

The game mentions 4 ancient civilizations that seem to be dated further back than others, but their history in terms of geography, time period, and interactions with the other societies is murky at best.
    - The Onyx/Alabaster Lords who were “a race of ancients with skin of stone who were said to have risen to life when a meteor struck long ago” [Onyx/Alabstor Lord’s Greatsword].
    - An unclear group of lords in an unclear geographic area who worshipped god known as The Scarlet Rot before it was sealed away [Mushroom Crown, Scorpion’s Stinger].
    - A civilization “gone to ruin” never give a name. They were the creators of all the mechanical constructs in the games. From literal item descriptions we know those to be The Golems, Imps, Watchdogs, Stonesword Keys, and Crystal Darts [Golem Greatbow/Greataxe, Various Imp Masks, Crystal Darts]. An interesting example of delivering narrative through gameplay mechanics, is that crystal darts make all construct enemies go berserk. Other than the literal item descriptions referenced above, there are some convincing aesthetic decisions that tie this civilization to a few more structures in the game—namely the visual motif of a stone structure with a magic light source that powers it similar to the Golems. This design appears in the intricate stone elevators found in the Divine Towers & Well entrances and the Waygates. The design is also utilized in the Evergaols & The Abnormal Stone Cluster enemies, but that issue is a bit more complicated, and I discuss below.
    - The Era before the Erdtree Era featured a society comprised of dragons & the subservient beastmen and was ruled by Elden Lords known as Dragonlords. The Dragonlord dynasty is a religious monarchy that utilized the same organization as The Golden Order (Celestial God—Physical Vessel—Consort/Elden Lord). Dragonlord Placidusax served as the Elden Lord, but the God & Vessel of this dynasty remain unknown [Remembrance of the Dragonlord]. It’s unclear where this dynasty was located geographically, with the only information being Placidusax’s Elden Throne was “at the heart of the storm beyond time”. Farum Azula is actually a mausoleum structure built for Placidusax’s corpse/slumber [Azula Beastmen Ashes] and does not indicate the area the actual active Dynasty reigned.

Let’s talk about a possible connection between these groups. Abnormal Stone Cluster enemies drop a ruin fragment of Farum Azula on death. If you look at the design of the abnormal stone cluster, you can actually see the ruin fragment, and it’s clear that fragment is the source of the purple light that is likely keeping the construct together. Of note, the most common place to find Abnormal Stone Clusters are the Evergaols, which also happen to be stone structures that have a purple glow when activated. I am going to use this to infer that whoever built Farum Azula also built the Evergaols and Abnormal Stone Clusters. If we take into account that Farum Azula is a mausoleum for Placidusax, it would be fair to infer that it was built while the Dragonlord dynasty was collapsing/dying. Whichever group is responsible for building Farum Azula, they were either a direct part of the Dragonlord Dynasty or a neighboring civilization that watched its demise.

So, who built the Evergoals & The Abnormal Stone Constructs? I think there are three arguments that could be made:
    -The Mechanical Construct Civilization built them because they are consistent with the same stone construct-magical light engine aesthetic motif seen in the Golems, Waygates, & Divine Tower/River Entrance Elevators. There are also stonesword key imps in Farum Azula.
    -The Alabaster/Onyx Lords built them because the purple light is the same purple hue gravity magic utilizes and this type of sorcery “originates” from the Alabaster/Onyx lords [Meteorite, Rock Sling, Gravity Well]. When the Abnormal Stone Clusters engage their self-destruct attack, they glow bright purple directly before exploding, and it basically resembles the Rock Sling spell. The Alabster/Onyx lords also already have another connection to the Dragonlord Dynasty in that both them & the dragons share the physical feature of stone skin [Gravel Stone, Any of the Defensive Talismans]. If this connection is true, we could then probably assume that Farum Azula levitates because of gravity magic.
    -All of the above is true because the Alabaster/Onyx Lords and The Mechanical Construct Civilization are one & the same entity.

I would really like the 3rd option to be correct, because it would be more elegant. Gravity magic being used to power elevators makes sense. If gravity magic is responsible for the Evergaol’s ability to wrap prisoners to an alternate dimension, then using that same tech for the Waygates is consistent. One issue with this theory is that the Divine Tower/ Well elevators & Waygates utilize a white light rather than a purple light, and From Software is usually not sloppy with their aesthetic design. If this turns out to be correct though, then it’s quite possible that the Stone Lords were simply part of the Dragonlord Dynasty, and 3 out of the 4 of these ancient beings are part of the same civilization.

What about the Scarlet Rot worshippers? Turns out we can link them as well via the legend of The Blind Swordsman, which also connects to The Erdtree Dynasty. There is a unique dungeon in Limgrave called the Highroad Cave. The boss is a special Golem construct named The Guardian Golem, which holds “a precious item” [Wherever Fextralife get their enemy descriptions]. This item is the Blue Dancer Charm, which states there is a legend of a fairy who bestows on a flowing sword upon a blind swordsman, who then uses the weapon to seal away an ancient god that was rot itself [Blue Dancer Charm, Flowing Curved Sword]. This swordsman would go on to become Malenia’s mentor [Prosthesis-Wearer Heirloom].

this is super interesting.

my initial read on the alabaster lords was that they were the ancestors of the Nightfolk race, given that they also bleed silver, but I've since changed on that. this might help with your work, but i'm piecing together stuff about the Nox, another one of the prior civilisations who now lives underground.

The Nox worshipped the night sky in the age when fate was determined by the stars. I think this is a very literal state of affairs: formerly fates were linked to the stars, and by reading the stars you could read the future. The items that mention this are stuff like the astrologers set, astrologers cane, and some spells.

The Erdtree supplanted that state of affairs. The stars were sealed away, and their role was taken over by the Golden Order, the new determiner of fate. There is no true night in elden ring, even though there is a day/night cycle. It's still almost daylight bright at night, just gloomy, and there are no stars.

Now you would think that that is what drove the Nox underground to their false sky, but it's not. They were explicitly banished there by the Greater Will for some transgression, and I think I know what it was: everyone's favourite summon.

The description of the mimic tear states that it was an attempt by the eternal city to create an artificial lord. The nox await the age of stars, and their lord of night (paraphrased from the nox armour again), but I imagine were not too keen on waiting for the stars to be restored naturally and wanted to make something to kill radahn and release the stars. I don't think the Greater Will would be jazzed about this, and so sealed them off in the underworld just in case. Remember, you can't access either of the Nox towns until the stars have already been released.

There's a few types of mimics in the underground cities, but the main variety of note is the type that turns into player-style NPCs. They all turn into naked nightfolk, who bleed silver, much like the description of the player race once said. What is interesting is that the Nox, while resembling nightfolk physically (they at least have the same skin tone), do not bleed silver.

So my theory of the nightfolk player race is that they are descended from escaped mimics. There are a few ways out of the eternal cities despite there not being many ways in. Over time in the light and surface order of the Erdtree their mimic biology changed to more resemble the 'acceptable' human form in the Golden Order, leading to the loss of shape-changing powers and silver blood. It sounds like a big jump, but the Erdtree is explictly said to be responsible for present form of things, and minor changes in its health have led to stuff like the Omens and Misbegotten.

A functioning, younger Erdtree would probably be able to force something human-like into something human.

Where this is neat is that if your player character is a Nightfolk, and you beat the game, it means Nokstella's gambit of creating an artificial lord paid off.

also with regard to your issues of colour coding with the elevators, it's worth noting that the enhanced versions of the golems also use a blue glow effect, so both blue and purple light are within the wheelhouse of that historical era.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This talk of the knights reminds me - I was a little sad at how quickly stealth gets forgotten in this game. Really early on, there's some thrilling guerilla warfare going on with pulling enemies and watching for patrol routes and making big use of stealth backstabs. The first ruins/camp you are likely to encounter can play out like Metal Gear Solid 5 at low levels. And then you just kind of forget about hiding in bushes and smash/blast everything after about 3hrs.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I was still using sneak and upgraded to invisibility and silenced footstep stuff later, and then was wondering why everyone was having problems with Ordina, Liturgical Town because I just snuck up on everything and stabbed them :)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

this is super interesting.

my initial read on the alabaster lords was that they were the ancestors of the Nightfolk race, given that they also bleed silver, but I've since changed on that. this might help with your work, but i'm piecing together stuff about the Nox, another one of the prior civilisations who now lives underground.

The Nox worshipped the night sky in the age when fate was determined by the stars. I think this is a very literal state of affairs: formerly fates were linked to the stars, and by reading the stars you could read the future. The items that mention this are stuff like the astrologers set, astrologers cane, and some spells.

The Erdtree supplanted that state of affairs. The stars were sealed away, and their role was taken over by the Golden Order, the new determiner of fate. There is no true night in elden ring, even though there is a day/night cycle. It's still almost daylight bright at night, just gloomy, and there are no stars.

Now you would think that that is what drove the Nox underground to their false sky, but it's not. They were explicitly banished there by the Greater Will for some transgression, and I think I know what it was: everyone's favourite summon.

The description of the mimic tear states that it was an attempt by the eternal city to create an artificial lord. The nox await the age of stars, and their lord of night (paraphrased from the nox armour again), but I imagine were not too keen on waiting for the stars to be restored naturally and wanted to make something to kill radahn and release the stars. I don't think the Greater Will would be jazzed about this, and so sealed them off in the underworld just in case. Remember, you can't access either of the Nox towns until the stars have already been released.

There's a few types of mimics in the underground cities, but the main variety of note is the type that turns into player-style NPCs. They all turn into naked nightfolk, who bleed silver, much like the description of the player race once said. What is interesting is that the Nox, while resembling nightfolk physically (they at least have the same skin tone), do not bleed silver.

So my theory of the nightfolk player race is that they are descended from escaped mimics. There are a few ways out of the eternal cities despite there not being many ways in. Over time in the light and surface order of the Erdtree their mimic biology changed to more resemble the 'acceptable' human form in the Golden Order, leading to the loss of shape-changing powers and silver blood. It sounds like a big jump, but the Erdtree is explictly said to be responsible for present form of things, and minor changes in its health have led to stuff like the Omens and Misbegotten.

A functioning, younger Erdtree would probably be able to force something human-like into something human.

Where this is neat is that if your player character is a Nightfolk, and you beat the game, it means Nokstella's gambit of creating an artificial lord paid off.

also with regard to your issues of colour coding with the elevators, it's worth noting that the enhanced versions of the golems also use a blue glow effect, so both blue and purple light are within the wheelhouse of that historical era.

Thanks for thoughtful response. Some questions:

1. When you refer to the night folk as an option for the player race, what do you mean? I thought you might be referring to starting class, but I don't see that as an option?

2. Can you tell me where the golems glow blue instead of red? That would be really helpful, because it definitely would strengthen the final part of the theory.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I think NPC Invasions can involve time travel, in a way. There's two Hoslow brothers, one of whom you kill for volcano manor and the whip they both drop says it's a unique heirloom of their family, making you having two of them some sort of time paradox. You also invade members of the original roundtable hold who are almost certainly long dead. I'm not sure if it ever states that Rykard was eaten willingly or not but yeah he wants to eat strong people and absorb their power.

the hoslow weapon is unique to their house, not that there is only one of them. The other members of the roundtable hold you hunt are Tarnished that have lost their grace, or are simply not visiting the hold while the player is.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mercury_Storm posted:

I was still using sneak and upgraded to invisibility and silenced footstep stuff later, and then was wondering why everyone was having problems with Ordina, Liturgical Town because I just snuck up on everything and stabbed them :)

It's definitely viable, it just seems to go away a bit. But yeah, moat humanoid enemies seem ro have patrol routes, so skulking for backstabs is usually an option! But also, my pre-release game was a Sekiro replay, so I might have just been carrying behaviour over.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Phenotype posted:

There's a ladder you can use to climb back up.

Yeah, I was dicking around with the ones in CFA last night using different weapons, and holy poo poo it's really hard to fight them with a straight sword and shield, or even two straight swords. For the last 70 hours I've been jump-attack staggering things with big maces or greatswords, and I basically haven't learned how to deal with these kinds of enemies when they don't even acknowledge it when I hit them.

Straight swords have Square Off which is super strong there against both the banished knights and beast men. Square off and unsheathe, despite being the basic, default skills of their weapon classes, are both incredibly good complements to light, quick weapons like straight swords or katanas.

Disco Pope posted:

This talk of the knights reminds me - I was a little sad at how quickly stealth gets forgotten in this game. Really early on, there's some thrilling guerilla warfare going on with pulling enemies and watching for patrol routes and making big use of stealth backstabs. The first ruins/camp you are likely to encounter can play out like Metal Gear Solid 5 at low levels. And then you just kind of forget about hiding in bushes and smash/blast everything after about 3hrs.

There were some points in the game where I forgot about stealth, but plenty of late game areas still seem designed with sneaking in mind. The placement of banished knights in Farum Azula, for example, seems to clearly encourage sneaking up and backstabbing most of them.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm always creeping around in stealth my first run through any dungeon or catacombs. Even if you're not watching patrol routes for backstabs, enemies don't spot you as quick and you have more time to notice stuff up ahead and laser beam it to death.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Megasabin posted:

***interesting discussion of ER lore***

That was very interesting. I was feeling a little burned out banging my head against the wall that is Malenia, but I feel like that's piqued my interest to explore out in a different way in the game and dig around some of the corners I haven't uncovered yet.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Thanks for thoughtful response. Some questions:

1. When you refer to the night folk as an option for the player race, what do you mean? I thought you might be referring to starting class, but I don't see that as an option?

2. Can you tell me where the golems glow blue instead of red? That would be really helpful, because it definitely would strengthen the final part of the theory.

1. when you pick the 'base template' for your character you can pick from a set of appearances that have lore descriptions. there's some really interesting stuff in there, because you can pick the same numen race as marika and the black knife assassins.

2. the blue glowing golems are in caelid in front of the Colosseum where the giant jar is. they're preceded by a ton of the little ruin snake creatures, which also adds to your theory, and that little area is mainly accessible by a long magic elevator in the siofra deep river. So all the technological elements of your theory are together in one little area.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Wait, huh? So how does Rykard's thing work, anyway? Maybe I missed stuff when I was going through there, but I only have the vaguest idea of what they're up to in Volcano town. Rykard made a pact with a giant serpent, right? Who's actually another outer god like the Greater Will? And then he let the serpent eat him and now he's the face inside the serpent? So when he wants you to join the famaleee, he really wants to eat you and what, absorb your power? So then if Henricus gets eaten by the snake, then he gets spit out as a Recusant phantom to attack you? I don't get the deal with all the other recusants in the manor, unless they're just not as worthy as you are and never got introduced/eaten by the snake.

Hell, even Rya's quest was a little weird -- I went back to her after exploring the dungeon a bit and she's apparently really depressed to find out what I saw, but like... what did I even see? All I did was whack some weird snails and a Bloodhound Knight and found my way to a church. I'm not sure what sort of horrors I was supposed to find behind the secret passage but it didn't seem any worse than Stormveil castle.

I believe that because of when the invasion happens in the game that Henricus is just basically ahead of you in the volcano manor 'questline'. if the invasion still happens even after you finish that storyline then i guess it is just some kind of time travel thing.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Wow only 161 new posts in the last 17 hours. RIP Elden Ring 2022-2022.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

WR is down to under 7 minutes now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuUEk6e1LOE

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Gonna post this here since Dist came on and commented below the vid

quote:

This time I'm going to give a thorough explanation of what is going on in this category as this run was insane.

To start off, this run is done on CURRENT Patch as we believe it has more stability, and this falls into the UNRESTRICTED Any% category on https://www.speedrun.com/eldenring
This category allows ALL use of glitches and the ability to ALT+F4 the game to achieve the Wrong Warp. This allows us to enter Farum Azula and is why you see the game close during that segment.
The zip glitch further explained below is also extremely hardware dependent and requires a stable 60 fps as well as stable frametimes.

The run has pretty much come down to a test of a runners patience, nerves and the ability to perform 13 FRAME PERFECT glitches known as "The Zip". This zip glitch allows us to teleport a wide range of distances using a combination of blocking, holding walk, and pressing W to move forward with a combination of 139 frames. If the two actions add up to 139, you teleport, and this distance can vary depending on the combination. The longer you hold W, the further you go. Some zips are so precise, that you need the walk and block duration to line up perfectly, which makes them double frame perfect :)

I'm not even done yet, as we also have a newfound discovery which is the reason why we no longer have to fight bosses. This is thanks to speedrunner SeekerTV, and it is known as the "Megazip". This is done by performing a normal zip, and pressing W to walk forward again within a 12-14 frame window after the initial zip. This nearly quadruples your momentum launching you significantly further.

We can use this megazip to kill Maliketh as well as Elden Beast. We don't fully understand what is going on behind the scenes, but we believe that by going far enough away from a boss arena, the platforms deload and the bosses begin to fall to their demise. In normal circumstances, we wouldn't be able to use this as our character would normally die before the boss does. This is due to the inherent fall timer in Elden Ring which will kill you after roughly 13 seconds of falling. However, by doing a mid-air attack we can actually reset this timer allowing us to fall even longer than the normal 13 seconds. This buys us just enough time to fall for long enough where the boss will die before us.

Maliketh "Megazip" requires extremely specific positioning and angles as to have your character get "zipped" high enough where you can fall for roughly 8 seconds before attacking. If you launch too high, the game wont let you attack. If you launch too low, you will die before the boss does. You also have to deal with performing a frame perfect glitch under high pressure with an angry Maliketh trying to kill you :)

The Elden Beast "Megazip" is a bit easier as we start as the Vagabond class, which has enough starting equipment that we can reach "Heavy Equip Load". (We also use this for the second zip of the run). This heavy equip load causes zips to go roughly 8% further and allows us to get just enough distance enabling us to more consistently to kill Hoarah Loux. It is a blessing that he has a cutscene, as when his first phase dies, it teleports us saving us from very imminent death. Elden Beast takes a bit longer to fall for whatever reason, and lucky for us the timing lines up perfectly where we can get piledrived by Hoarah Loux and receive the "God Slain" message indicating Elden Beast is dead right as the screen fades to black.

The final boss is now dead and we are teleported to the final platform where we can beat the game. Radagon gets to survive, as the only trigger check for being able to activate the Statue is whether or not Elden Beast is dead. Hope this explanation helps and thank you for watching!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

guy's absolutely loving insane and also quote =/= edit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Megasabin posted:

ancient civilizations

You’re forgetting the Nox of the Eternal Cities, who are to my mind the most interesting of the ancient civilizations. Their ruins are absolutely gigantic, exist above and below ground, and they were apparently in conflict with the Greater Will. What’s more, they seem to have had some similarity to Ranni’s dark moon ideology. Reading between the lines, it sure seems like they were an advanced civilization which got nuked into subterranean bunkers by alien aggression, to the point of deliberately meteor-bombing them with Astel to gently caress them over even once they were underground.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

"The tale of house hoslow is told in blood" is such a grrm line that I rolled my eyes the first time I heard it. Then they said it again, and again.

Words are wind, nuncle.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

good poo poo

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
as a braindead button toucher incapable of deeper thoughts beyond when to dodge and when to stab, i love the lore posts so much

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

1. when you pick the 'base template' for your character you can pick from a set of appearances that have lore descriptions. there's some really interesting stuff in there, because you can pick the same numen race as marika and the black knife assassins.

I completely missed that option until way late in my first playthrough even after messing around with my character's appearance a bunch

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

That speed run explanation is loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

How do you all get so much lore out of this game?

I am basically at the end, and have the faintest idea of wtf is going on in the game.

I learned more reading this thread than in the game.