Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

awesomeolion posted:

speaking of which, how do you give positive feedback at work? sometimes i say "nice job!" but then i run out of compliment steam pretty fast lol

I like making comments in public spaces. On a CR: "Really elegant solution, this will make it much easier to add new widgets in the future". Or in Slack: "Thanks to @teammate for adding the dev stack automation - this made it so simple to share my build with product and get buy-in for ${new feature}".

Use praise sparingly and only when you really mean it - when someone does something that makes life easier for you or your team, or when someone solve a particularly tough problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What is the job market like for junior web developers these days? Is it still hot? My wife makes good money in marketing but she works bullshit hours and spends way too much time in meetings and now that we're both WFH she's looking at my lifestyle as a software developer and thinking about making a change. I haven't been a newbie in a long time though so I have no idea what she could expect after re-training.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah it's still good, but not like what more senior people see. I still turn away bad ones so it's not like "free 100k job" just for claiming to know JavaScript and expect to be trained on the job. There are a bunch of boot camps now churning it front end people do the quality of the job will probably match the quality of the candidate.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I accepted an offer for my first software engineering gig!

The background check came back perfect except (I can see the results) that the start date on my last retail job is almost 3 years off. If I couldn't remember my start date and just guessed terribly, is that going to be OK or is this going to look really bad?

I imagine people forget dates all the time and discrepancies are common, but this is embarrassingly off.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

fawning deference posted:

The background check came back perfect except (I can see the results) that the start date on my last retail job is almost 3 years off. If I couldn't remember my start date and just guessed terribly, is that going to be OK or is this going to look really bad?

I imagine people forget dates all the time and discrepancies are common, but this is embarrassingly off.

It's a retail job. I can't imagine people caring. :shrug:

If it were another tech job, and the discrepancy was favorable to you, you might get some questions.

I track my dates by punching stuff into linkedin. This will also get recruiters pounding down your door.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

fawning deference posted:

I can't imagine anyone would actually care about the dates of the retail job, but it's up to the discretion of the people doing the hiring. I wouldn't.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Even 3 years? OK. Well even so, if they ask me what I did during that time, I don't know what to say. Should I just say I was a musician at the time as primary income and just forgot when I actually started the official job (this is the case)? Because then they will just think I pushed back the start date to cover that up.

I'm moreso just freaking out because I am bad under pressure and if they ask me I don't want it to seem like I'm lying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Well then tell the truth? Or just play it off like you didn't even realize you put the wrong date. Either way I would be surprised if anyone notices/cares.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Lockback posted:

Well then tell the truth? Or just play it off like you didn't even realize you put the wrong date. Either way I would be surprised if anyone notices/cares.
Yup. Numbers don't have a spell check, and if they're doing background checks you're far enough along that time spent in retail is not a big deal. The bigger issue is that if you don't catch any other minor issues now and they do, that's an uncomfortable conversation. I'd go over the information you sent with a fine-tooth comb to make sure.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Coco13 posted:

Yup. Numbers don't have a spell check, and if they're doing background checks you're far enough along that time spent in retail is not a big deal. The bigger issue is that if you don't catch any other minor issues now and they do, that's an uncomfortable conversation. I'd go over the information you sent with a fine-tooth comb to make sure.

Yup, everything else checks out perfectly.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I had a background check ding me for be off on a couple start dates by a month. I’m bad at keeping track of these things. It didn’t matter, they were only looking for major discrepancies.

And like ^^^ said, a background check normally means you’re pretty far along in the process, they basically want to hire you at this point.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd be surprised if they even mention it. The company that did my background check couldn't verify my high school and one of my previous jobs. If you're that far in the process already I doubt they would care about it.

In the event they do ask, just be honest and say you forgot when you started.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Romes128 posted:

I'd be surprised if they even mention it. The company that did my background check couldn't verify my high school and one of my previous jobs. If you're that far in the process already I doubt they would care about it.

In the event they do ask, just be honest and say you forgot when you started.

Yeah reiterating what everyone is saying, with my current job there was a bunch of stuff that couldn't be verified and the background check got submitted like 2 weeks late because I was on holiday and nobody told me about it

After they verify the core details of you being who you say you are and at least mostly having the experience you say you do you're fine

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is this where I ask a question like "What's the best UX boot camp for someone who has no experience in the field"?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I used to do background checks a long time ago and honestly employers most likely hardly care about your situation, HR usually has some predetermined criteria and being a little off on your past experience is probably no big deal. They probably just want to make sure you are who you say you are and not some felon.

Also side note, background checks is why I tell everyone immediately around me to be cautious about what they post on the internet. Some companies will pay extra for social media checks to make sure you aren't racist or something and I have seen a lot of problematic ones. At my current company someone turned down a great candidate because of the stuff they posted on youtube.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Mescal posted:

Is this where I ask a question like "What's the best UX boot camp for someone who has no experience in the field"?

UX (as in user experience design) or web development? I assume you mean web development, as in learning the basics of Javascript, HTML, and CSS. In that case, I would highly recommend App Academy, which is where both my wife and I went. A few others in this thread have gone as well, and I'm always happy to chat and answer questions!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Also side note, background checks is why I tell everyone immediately around me to be cautious about what they post on the internet. Some companies will pay extra for social media checks to make sure you aren't racist or something and I have seen a lot of problematic ones. At my current company someone turned down a great candidate because of the stuff they posted on youtube.

Even just as someone who is a non-manager part of the hiring process, I am personally checking to see if I can find social media profiles to make sure someone isn't a fascist or something. Fortunately, haven't found any so far.

I will never understand people who post that kind of stuff on LinkedIn of all places.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Magnetic North posted:

Even just as someone who is a non-manager part of the hiring process, I am personally checking to see if I can find social media profiles to make sure someone isn't a fascist or something. Fortunately, haven't found any so far.

I will never understand people who post that kind of stuff on LinkedIn of all places.

They're in a bubble where that's normative. By posting it, they exclude themselves from a lot of opportunities to leave that bubble.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Magnetic North posted:

I hadn't thought so, either, but the pandemic did expose a few conspiracy theorists among former coworkers on LinkedIn. None of them were terribly surprising, but they knew to keep it under wraps until that point.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
LinkedIn has become just as toxic as Twitter and Facebook.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

recruiters should be checking linkedin so they dont accidentally hire someone who posts things on linkedin other than a resume

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Recruiters can barely make it to their own calls on time, asking them to do anything approaching independent thought is asking a lot of them

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

cum jabbar posted:

I hadn't thought so, either, but the pandemic did expose a few conspiracy theorists among former coworkers on LinkedIn. None of them were terribly surprising, but they knew to keep it under wraps until that point.

Yuuuup. Removed three old contacts just in 2022 for posting fashy nonsense. And one of them is loving retired. What is he still doing on LinkedIn?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
another rejection today after getting to the last round of a ~10 hour interview process. i'm exhausted. I just want to crawl up in a ball and die. this is the 3rd time in a month I was expecting an offer letter, and instead got a rejection email.

after moving to the west coast, i'm pretty confident when i say interviewing with CA-based companies is just so much harder than the east coast, despite the fact that JavaScript/React code being the same everywhere you go. i just can't wrap my brain around it. it's just all CRUD apps. why are all of these west coast interviews just round after round of live coding?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

teen phone cutie posted:

~10 hour interview process.

jesus christ

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Someone I know did about 20 hours of interviewing for a non coding position. This poo poo is getting wild.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
"Nobody wants to work!"

I'm never leaving my job

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Wasting time is in vogue right now. I got a homework assignment from a position that ended up being about 8 hours in the end, of which 2-3 was me not knowing something that I admitted I didn't know and they still wanted me to try. Then the internal recruiter called and said they wanted changes. I just about hit the loving ceiling. I wanted to tell them to get hosed but I also just want the job search to be over with, but this has to bode poorly for the position. If they are this disrepectful of my time, how are they going to behave when I'm an employee?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

teen phone cutie posted:

another rejection today after getting to the last round of a ~10 hour interview process. i'm exhausted. I just want to crawl up in a ball and die. this is the 3rd time in a month I was expecting an offer letter, and instead got a rejection email.

after moving to the west coast, i'm pretty confident when i say interviewing with CA-based companies is just so much harder than the east coast, despite the fact that JavaScript/React code being the same everywhere you go. i just can't wrap my brain around it. it's just all CRUD apps. why are all of these west coast interviews just round after round of live coding?

I don't know your situation exactly, but I had the same problem. Lots of rejections, a lot more than I was expecting considering I thought I knew my stuff. Turns out I actually do! When I asked for feedback everyone basically said the same thing; Nobody wants to return to office, so any job that doesn't require you to go into the office is absolutely inundated with valuable, experienced candidates. With two hour commutes being common on the west coast, it's no surprise that they're flooded with people not wanting to go back.

One company mentioned that they're doing super-long grueling code interviews because they really just can't find differences between top candidates. They told me that the reason they picked someone else over me was because their company is currently experiencing really rapid growth, and the other candidate was from a company who had also gone through that so they knew they could adapt. Everything else was virtually equal. The HR rep at that particular company said they had six people reach final round interviews, when pre-covid they were lucky to get two. It was narrowed down to me and that other guy, and he won.

At that point though, what the gently caress was the point of all the coding interviews if the thing that set us apart wasn't even code related??? Surprise, people with 5+ years of experience all pretty much know how to code!

What a nightmare this whole thing has been. The job I got is also temporary, since they also have a nebulous "We'll be going back to the office eventually" policy, and as soon as that happens I'm out and I get to do this poo poo all over again.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Vincent Valentine posted:

The HR rep at that particular company said they had six people reach final round interviews

That's so loving rude and entitled to string that many people along for that long.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
I know this is kind of not the right thread for this, but does anyone else find programming really frustrating sometimes? I like programming - guess I should say I like computer science - generally but it seems like programming in general is kind of a mess. Everything seems designed to replicate business documents, and so doing even solitary development work sometimes feels like I'm working with a large number of a people in a big corporation. IDK if this is a fair perception or if it's just a result of me having a particular set of problems, but goddamn. Also, software developers seem to have absolutely massive loving egos. Maybe that's just me reading Reddit and Hacker News. Again, IDK.

Just venting. It seems that there is a very particular kind of politics in the software development industry that totally contradicts the image the industry puts forward. Which is a shame because I really like theoretical computer science. Is this fair?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You might need to elaborate on some of your complaints here.

What does it mean to be "designed to replicate business documents"?

What is "the image the industry puts forward" that you feel is contradicted by software development politics?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The thing about reading reddit/hackernews/etc is that people who post there care a lot about programming. While people with massive egos aren't exactly rare, I can say most people just want to center divs, collect a paycheck and then go home to watch TV.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my average project I only care enough that I don't want it to come back to make my life or my coworkers lives annoying. The same thing to a lesser extent for other developers when I'm reviewing stuff, unless I absolutely know this is gonna ruin my day eventually, I'll suggest fixes, but probably not fight much over them unless you somehow pissed me off in the response.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Compared to other professional that are known for egos, software engineers are on the exact opposite spectrum where a significant number have imposter syndrome. You'll always find a few that have huge egos, either because they are the best in their pond or think they are. I think it's likely that this correlates strongly to those that post online about it.

I don't know where you are in your career, but computer science and software development are two very different things and it's the latter that you need to at minimum tolerate, if not enjoy, if you want have a career in it and not hate life.

asur fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 16, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I've been lucky. Everyone I work with is cool and I like my job. 8 months into moving from automated testing onto development and somehow I'm the guy in charge of the backend/database and explaining poo poo to guys with 20+ years of experience.

Like all jobs, programming is bullshit and nonsense and you can copy and paste things all day as long as you understand what it's doing.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

asur posted:

You'll always find a few that have huge egos,

Sysadmins, mostly.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Welp, you were all right. I got cleared today and am officially hired! I start next Monday. Hell yeah.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Posted about this in BFC's negotiation thread, but figured I'd solicit advice here as well, just in case:

After many long months of trying, I finally landed an offer at a new company... only downside is that they have not told me how much they are offering. It is a big tech company that we all know, so their salary data is readily available via levels.fyi (sort of... data for my region is somewhat sparse), but despite saying I was being offered, the recruiter left the onus firmly on me to give my expected TC value first before moving on from here. Anyone have any advice moving forward? I'm used to the company giving an initial number when they make an offer, so this is a bit strange for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
You don't really have a real offer yet imo, but they are basically trying to figure out how little they can offer you because they do want to hire you.

Listen to whatever the negotiation thread says, but do not low-ball yourself. Especially not based on some nebulous region thing. Some companies pay differently by region. Some don't. But don't talk yourself into some weird "I like in X so Y is just too much!" self fulfilling prophecy.