Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Some days our daughter wakes up all excited and ready to go to daycare. Others it's like we have awakened a demon. Last night she woke up a few times but this morning she's all chipper. The night before she slept through the entire night and was absolute hell waking up.

She already turning into a jerk. I picked her up from daycare yesterday and called my wife while driving home. After our conversation, our daughter goes: I like mommy and I like Juniper (dog), but I don't like daddy. Thanks kiddo, this has been a reoccurring theme lately. Don't know if it's because she rarely sees my wife right now, tax season, or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

sharkytm posted:

I watch my son sleep on the baby camera all the drat time. It's so peaceful.

...for about five seconds until they squinch up in a ball and start inchworming around the perimeter of the crib, right? No? Just me?

Kiddo's favourite nighttime trick is to roll so that she's facing 45 degrees leaning against the side of the crib with her arm wrapped around one of the bars, all while fully asleep.

Vaguely related: I discovered that I'm a high-loving-maintenance dad when things don't go to plan today. Kiddo's shaking off the remnants of a cold and has been having phlegmy coughing fits at night, and decided at 5:30 this morning that she was done sleep coughing and would like to awake cough now. Cue me trying to rock her back to sleep, failing, then being a grouchy mess until my wife took 10 mins out of her work prep to watch her while I made some pour over.

Three sips of drat good coffee made me capable of love again and then everything was back on track but man oh man I need to work on my morning adaptability

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ChickenWing posted:

...for about five seconds until they squinch up in a ball and start inchworming around the perimeter of the crib, right? No? Just me?

Kiddo's favourite nighttime trick is to roll so that she's facing 45 degrees leaning against the side of the crib with her arm wrapped around one of the bars, all while fully asleep.

Slowly inches towards the foot of the bed. Then will occasionally sit up, look around, then flop forward. Sometimes this means he faceplants into the footboard of the bed which he completely ignores and goes back to sleep.

I worked overnights for 2 years and only recently got off, so when working from home I'd watch him sleep the entire night. I know my kid's sleeping habits a little too well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Besides the obvious, gut level, knee jerk reaction of "you're putting your child in someone else's car" what are the pros and cons of hiring someone to drive your kid to daycare, is this even something you can pay someone to do? Both parents have really packed work schedules and it's 30+ minutes each way to drop off the kid in the morning and this new arrangement is not working for us, we're missing our important meetings in the mornings etc

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

BadSamaritan posted:

Conversely, my toddler threw her door open this morning and announced “I’M ALL DONE.” so I’d say the tone around sleep has changed.

Also I’d like to thank some unnamed kid in her preschool room for introducing the comedic concept of “____ eats doo doo” to her. Thanks, thanks.

Now that it's warming up here, we're at the park all the time. And my favorite thing is listening to all the little kid burns that get thrown around. So many doo doo eaters and butt faces.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So many kid conversations are comprised of various pitches and volumes of "no"

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Besides the obvious, gut level, knee jerk reaction of "you're putting your child in someone else's car" what are the pros and cons of hiring someone to drive your kid to daycare, is this even something you can pay someone to do? Both parents have really packed work schedules and it's 30+ minutes each way to drop off the kid in the morning and this new arrangement is not working for us, we're missing our important meetings in the mornings etc

At least for Lyft and Uber, they don’t allow unaccompanied minors iirc.
Source: stumbled over a post a few weeks back where a driver was ranting about how people don’t understand they are not allowed to take unaccompanied minors, but a casual google search seems to confirm that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah we were thinking about finding a college student (female?) that had 2 hours in the morning that could do this 5 days a week for like $15/hr, plus maybe be a evening babysitter once or twice a week? Am I asking the impossible. I was thinking about the logistics of buying them a dedicated car seat, insurance, etc. But yeah I guess under the covers they would effectively be a glorified Uber driver

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is finding a daycare closer to your home or work feasible?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

It's funny, after 4 I've fully adapted to functioning in a child-full environment. I can literally hold conversations over tantruming kids, etc. I've even developed the ability to laugh when all 4 are going at the same time - particularly fun when they harmonize their screeches.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sheri posted:

Is finding a daycare closer to your home or work feasible?

My wife and I have been openly discussing cash bribes to the daycare in our area

The problem is that this is a super LCoL area and daycare is seen as a luxury for stay at home moms, so there's very few 8-5 daycares in our area, most of it is 8-2 and the number of slots for 5 day a week is tiny, and we really need a 8-5 edit: we're in an 8-5 but it's on the other side of the city, we just need a bus service to get the kid delivered there as we're really working 50+ hrs a week

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 12, 2022

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

8 - 5 is rough. Mine is 7 - 6. I don't know what I would do if it started at 8 because I have to be on campus starting class at 8am. Thankfully the daycare I use is literally a mile and a half down the road from my job so I can roll up there at 7:45 and make class on time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The gently caress you gonna do with 8-2.

Mine is 6-6 I didn't know that wasn't the norm :psyduck:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Renegret posted:

Mine was 6-6 pre-covid, they’ve since gone to 7:30-5:30 and I’m not convinced they’re ever going back. It would be so. much. easier. if they opened at 7. Waitlists are crazy around here though so I’m just going to have to deal with it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a 6-6 but they're 30 minutes away, one way which is basically useless as that's two hours daily. Doubly so because we're both WFH so any daycare is never on the way to anywhere, it's just useless commuting and (IMO) needless wear and tear on our cars

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
You may want to ask around your own social network to see if any people are just watching kids for money. You may get better results if you know anyone hooked into like a church network. Results may vary.

You could also look at your states child care accreditation list and see if there are places nearby you simply don't know about.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks never thought of reverse searching via accreditation

We just moved into the area from one coast to the other so our network so far consists of our next door neighbor Phyllis who has memory problems and our lawn guy Johnny :smithicide:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Our daycare can't switch our half-time daughter to a full-time schedule for another month. I have no idea why this is an issue, just bring out another drat cot, she's already in the loving class.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

nachos posted:

Our daycare can't switch our half-time daughter to a full-time schedule for another month. I have no idea why this is an issue, just bring out another drat cot, she's already in the loving class.

Because daycares have ratios of staff: kids that they have to maintain based on the age of the kid.

So depending on the days or hours that she is there they might already be at the max ratio for the other times when she's not currently.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Half time like days of the week? Because if you're M/W/F then there's another kid who you don't know exists that's T/Th. Together in the book keeping they're considered one full time kid.

Probably works that way with time if you're picking up before nap but that's not how mine works. Here you pay and get the whole day, except it's extra if you want to drop off before 8 because of the extra staff needed.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

sheri posted:

Because daycares have ratios of staff: kids that they have to maintain based on the age of the kid.

So depending on the days or hours that she is there they might already be at the max ratio for the other times when she's not currently.

Hmm probably why half of the kids in her class randomly migrated to another class a couple weeks ago. They must have had at least double the current class size for the last couple months so they sure as hell didn't care about ratios until very recently.

Renegret posted:

Half time like days of the week? Because if you're M/W/F then there's another kid who you don't know exists that's T/Th. Together in the book keeping they're considered one full time kid.

Probably works that way with time if you're picking up before nap but that's not how mine works. Here you pay and get the whole day, except it's extra if you want to drop off before 8 because of the extra staff needed.

5 days a week, she just comes home at 12:30 when all the other kids start napping

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And yeah your ratio is the single most important rule in daycare and being caught out of ratio is a big loving deal. The building's licensor will drag them over the coals for it. Your license also stipulates how many rooms you have, the age range of each room, and how many kids are allowed in each room.

So you can't, for example, convert an infant room (4:2 ratio, max 8 kids) to a pre-k room (6:2 ratio, 12 kids) on a whim just because you have a infant space but a wait list on pre-k.

Staff scheduling in daycare is loving bonkers

e:

nachos posted:

Hmm probably why half of the kids in her class randomly migrated to another class a couple weeks ago. They must have had at least double the current class size for the last couple months so they sure as hell didn't care about ratios until very recently.

5 days a week, she just comes home at 12:30 when all the other kids start napping

Also possible that there's other kids who leave at that time, so kids get moved across classrooms and a teacher goes home. You're not going to pay an entire teacher to stay just for 1 kid, it's a net loss for the center.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 12, 2022

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I usually have to check a few rooms when we pick up to find our oldest. Towards the end of the day as kids get picked up, they shuffle kids around in order to minimize staff while still maintaining the state minimum ratios. They don't want to pay 5 teachers to watch 5 kids in 5 rooms, so they consolidate as best they can.

Sometimes she's in the next room up, sometimes she goes in to the next room down. She absolutely loves the next room down, because she spent like 2 years straight with that teacher... they were in the 2-3 room together, and soon after our daughter moved to the 3-4 room the teacher moved as well.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
These dang kids got me sick again. They both had another respiratory infection turned ear infection, and then I got it. Lost my voice on Sunday, it’s very hard to parent when you can only whisper. Last night I slept for all of one hour before being woken up by my ear popping, then a bunch of ear juice leaking on my pillow. It kept popping and leaking all night, I didn’t sleep at all, ended up calling in sick AGAIN. Daughter was wide awake from 2-4am and ended up screaming about wanting a particular blanket, and waking up the baby. They slept for another hour before it was time to get up. Took the now healthy kids to daycare and took myself to urgent care and my ear drum is perforated, and apparently bubbling. Got in a nice couch nap though.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

My wife and I have been openly discussing cash bribes to the daycare in our area

The problem is that this is a super LCoL area and daycare is seen as a luxury for stay at home moms, so there's very few 8-5 daycares in our area, most of it is 8-2 and the number of slots for 5 day a week is tiny, and we really need a 8-5 edit: we're in an 8-5 but it's on the other side of the city, we just need a bus service to get the kid delivered there as we're really working 50+ hrs a week

I don't think it would be crazy to use a "driving babysitter" that way, if you can find someone you trust/like.

My sister-in-law did something similar back when her kid as in a 8-14 daycare and she was working full time. (This was in Denmark, and for how progressive the Danish are, they apparently still assume that moms will work part-time so there are virtually no full-day daycares.)

The sitter picked her kid up every afternoon and took her to the park or whatever, and had her home by the time the SiL got home. Cost a fair bit of cash as I understood it, but her boss wouldn't let her do part-time so it was this or go jobless.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hadlock posted:

Idk dude at this point I'd look at how to push back on work rather than figuring out how to get your toddler to daycare by paying someone. You're a computer toucher. If your job isn't giving you the time to drop your kid off at daycare maybe a hunt for a new one that does is in order.

Renegret posted:

Fwiw most public schools run between 7/8-2/3

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's so nice to be able to play outside again without the whole snowpants situation

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

. If your job isn't giving you the time to drop your kid off at daycare maybe a hunt for a new one that does is in order.

Oh ho ho, no they've been amazing at letting me put family first, and given me a raise in the last quarter

At this point childcare has become a point of contention for me and my wife and we're both resolved to just throw money at this problem in favor of our marriage

I put up a $3 Craigslist ad and already got 4 replies, two of which look promising

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Koivunen posted:

These dang kids got me sick again. They both had another respiratory infection turned ear infection, and then I got it. Lost my voice on Sunday, it’s very hard to parent when you can only whisper. Last night I slept for all of one hour before being woken up by my ear popping, then a bunch of ear juice leaking on my pillow. It kept popping and leaking all night, I didn’t sleep at all, ended up calling in sick AGAIN. Daughter was wide awake from 2-4am and ended up screaming about wanting a particular blanket, and waking up the baby. They slept for another hour before it was time to get up. Took the now healthy kids to daycare and took myself to urgent care and my ear drum is perforated, and apparently bubbling. Got in a nice couch nap though.

I’m kind of surprised the build up to your perforated ear drum wasn’t more painful. I’ve had that happen three times and it was terribly painful each time.

I feel like I was this close to ear infection #3 for the year with the last illness. I can’t wait for the weather to improve (also because it’s like 8 degrees outside right now lol).

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Oh ho ho, no they've been amazing at letting me put family first, and given me a raise in the last quarter

At this point childcare has become a point of contention for me and my wife and we're both resolved to just throw money at this problem in favor of our marriage

I put up a $3 Craigslist ad and already got 4 replies, two of which look promising

Is care.com still a thing? We hired babysitters from there for our wedding (years ago), if they're still doing background checks that might be an option?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alarbus posted:

Is care.com still a thing? We hired babysitters from there for our wedding (years ago), if they're still doing background checks that might be an option?

Yeah we actually started out with a temporary nanny from there, she was awesome, but ended up deciding that our daughter should be in daycare with kids her age. Kind of burnt that bridge with that particular nanny when we let her go to put the kid in daycare. I'll put something up there again, that was a great experience

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I was in an Uber recently with a lady who told me about how she also drives for this kid-only service, so it definitely exists. I think the one she did was called HopSkipDrive - but I’m sure this is geo-dependent to a large extent.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I watched the first episode of Old Enough on Netflix and let me tell y'all i doubt the ogre toddler could pull it off.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess I haven't yet gotten to the point where I'm nostalgic about my daughter being little, or scared by her growing up fast, or anything. Sure, she's only 3½ yet, but my wife is already talking about how she want another little one and I'm like "no, babies are annoying and this kid is only getting more fun as she grows". I feel like we're only now getting into the fun part and I loathe the thought of going through another three years of baby/toddler-dom.

you're not alone. my kid is 6 and i still think babies are annoying. kids are pretty cool though!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

citybeatnik posted:

I watched the first episode of Old Enough on Netflix and let me tell y'all i doubt the ogre toddler could pull it off.

The show is a weird combo of incredibly cute and terrifying.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

King Hong Kong posted:

I’m kind of surprised the build up to your perforated ear drum wasn’t more painful. I’ve had that happen three times and it was terribly painful each time.

I feel like I was this close to ear infection #3 for the year with the last illness. I can’t wait for the weather to improve (also because it’s like 8 degrees outside right now lol).

Oh trust me it was quite painful. Then all night long all the crackling and popping was like getting stabbed in the ear and throat with an ice pick repeatedly.

Thanks to the ear drops and antibiotics, last night was much better. I actually slept! AND my baby stayed in his crib until 5am!!!! He woke up three times but I was able to put him back in his crib each time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

citybeatnik posted:

We also watched that and it just made me feel bad about how far behind my kid must be only being exposed to me all day five days a week who does everything for him and is sitting here posting on something awful instead of teaching him to walk a mile alone to buy groceries.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

davebo posted:

We also watched that and it just made me feel bad about how far behind my kid must be only being exposed to me all day five days a week who does everything for him and is sitting here posting on something awful instead of teaching him to walk a mile alone to buy groceries.

I mean if you can send him alone to get groceries that gives you more posting time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"I'm back! They didn't have the jalapeno Cheetos so I got regular"

"So which store are you going to check next?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Emily Spinach posted:

I mean if you can send him alone to get groceries that gives you more posting time.

*adds "running errands for me" to milestone list*