Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I don't even know what the point of Diallos is

"Hey I lost my servant or finger maiden or whatever, the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"
"ah gently caress they killed my girl, I'll kill them for this, the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"
"yeah I decided to join up and kill people, the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"
"yeah I was pretty bad at that, I'm out of here, the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"
"the jars tell me my hands are soft. the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"
"I failed to protect the jars. the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"

Just an absolute failure of a man

Pitiable sort, one might say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Something I like about Dragonlord Placidusax is that if you look at his model you can see that in addition to his two currently existing heads he seems to have lost three additional heads at some point and still has the the neck stumps. It brings to mind the hands and finger motif that's used throughout the game, and similarly you have the parallel of the two fingers and later on the 'missing' three fingers for the lord of Frenzied flame route that together make up the total of five. So does this all imply that beings elevated by the gods are deprived of that which makes them whole to keep them weaker and more controllable?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Malaria posted:

How do you all get so much lore out of this game?

I am basically at the end, and have the faintest idea of wtf is going on in the game.

I learned more reading this thread than in the game.

Detailed item descriptions combined with an urge to gather everything.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sockser posted:

"Hey I lost my servant or finger maiden or whatever, the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"
"ah gently caress they killed my girl, I'll kill them for this, the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"
"yeah I decided to join up and kill people, the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"
"yeah I was pretty bad at that, I'm out of here, the tale of house hoslow is told in blood"

hes a rube that gave up his revenge plot because the people who wronged him told him he was handsome and strong. it's really funny tbh

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
he's a naive dumbass in over his head, being used by higher powers with no interest in his survival, who eventually rejects them and signs on with a group of subaltern misfits who need and deserve his help even if this proves to be just as self-destructive

poor guy, but i'm built different. anyways, off to link the First Flame!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

more seriously every single NPC in Elden Ring is characterized by their burning desire for something that will destroy them, often (although not always) knowingly. the whole world has suicidal ideation, possibly as Marika's circumstances are reflected in everything and everyone around her

it's also extremely Arthurian; "the land and the king are one"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Malaria posted:

How do you all get so much lore out of this game?

I am basically at the end, and have the faintest idea of wtf is going on in the game.

I learned more reading this thread than in the game.

smh, you probably didn't even talk to the furtive pygmy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Beasteh posted:

Gonna post this here since Dist came on and commented below the vid

God, who gives a gently caress about this poo poo anymore. It's not even Elden Ring, it's Thirteen Frame Perfect Glitches Known as The Zip: A Questionable Spectator Sport. Like, okay, wonderful, you've figured out how to break a piece of software over your knee, but there's no real crossover anymore between this and content for people who actually want to watch the game being played. I can appreciate that it's a technical achievement and it requires skill to do, but at this point an "Elden Ring Speedrun" has virtually nothing to do with the actual video game anymore.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Well it's funny that you should say that because there are categories for this game, like all remembrances/all bosses besides the now-ludicrous any%, but they may still involve too much bullshit zipglitching for your liking

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phenotype posted:

God, who gives a gently caress about this poo poo anymore. It's not even Elden Ring, it's Thirteen Frame Perfect Glitches Known as The Zip: A Questionable Spectator Sport. Like, okay, wonderful, you've figured out how to break a piece of software over your knee, but there's no real crossover anymore between this and content for people who actually want to watch the game being played. I can appreciate that it's a technical achievement and it requires skill to do, but at this point an "Elden Ring Speedrun" has virtually nothing to do with the actual video game anymore.

a) it's cool in its own right

b) while you can obviously distinguish the extreme ends, there isn't really any clear boundary between "real" and glitch runs. you can draw a line but it's always going to be a fairly arbitrary one

c) there are other categories of speedrun that make for better spectator sports!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And they're doing it on CURRENT patch!

Well since you can zip past all the bosses, you kinda don't need Hoarfrost anymore and apparently it adds more stability.

e: ninja'd by Dist himself a lot of posts ago

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's other speedrun categories if you want to see people playing the game

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Any% in speedruns has never been about "playing the game" but finishing it as fast as possible.

There's a category "all remembrances" which will likely function similarly to "all bosses" of previous Souls games for events and stuff.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

skasion posted:

You’re forgetting the Nox of the Eternal Cities, who are to my mind the most interesting of the ancient civilizations. Their ruins are absolutely gigantic, exist above and below ground, and they were apparently in conflict with the Greater Will. What’s more, they seem to have had some similarity to Ranni’s dark moon ideology. Reading between the lines, it sure seems like they were an advanced civilization which got nuked into subterranean bunkers by alien aggression, to the point of deliberately meteor-bombing them with Astel to gently caress them over even once they were underground.

i'm inclined to agree with this assessment, i think astel was let in to the underground on purpose during the war with the stars. the place he ended up is Literally Gatekeeping the area Ranni needs to bring on the age of stars. Astel guards the elevator to the south-westernmost rise in Liurnia, where Ranni's personal Two Fingers are.

A great deal of the backstory of the game is the Greater Will (or maybe just the Erdtree) clamping down on competitors:

- Genocide of the Great Caravan by sealing them underground, due to their 'heretical' beliefs (nomadic merchant's set descriptions)
- Making a pariah of any priest who sees the flame of ruin within the faith (prophet start + description of the flame sling spell)
- War on the Nox
- Defeat and sealing of the Scarlet Rot civ (builders of the ruins in the lake of rot I think) by the blind swordsman
- War with the Dragons and Beastmen (the previous civilisational order, mentioned a bunch of times in the beastmen items + malformed dragon set + dragon knight's weapons)
- War with the Fire Giants (which ironically might have been a mercy killing, given that a few of the giant items mention the fire giants being Cursed to guard the flame of ruin before the Erdtree came along)
- War with the Carians and Raya Lucaria, which gave way to a fairly one-sided alliance (Rennala and Radagon's marriage), inducting a 'safe' version of star and moon study into the golden order to try and keep sorcerors in check.
- Forbidding Primeval Current research (Sellen's questline, I don't know if the Primeval Current is a rival outer power or maybe just the source of all things)
- Even the Shattering can be seen this way. Marika had given birth to multiple Empyreans, aka vessels for outer gods. Combined with the decline of the Erdtree's vitality, it was pretty clear that both her and it's time had come. The shattering hosed up Ranni's plan with the Black Knives and rune of death, took Malenia from Miquella's side, which allowed Mohg to steal Miquella from the Haligtree, taking out two competitors with one move (the haligtree and malenia's scarlet bloom)

and then if you buy into my crackpot theories:
- the attempt by the erdtree to replace the fire aspect of the Greater Will with the moon aspect in the Golden Order, as an attempt by the Erdtree to avoid being burned as part of its necessary lifecycle
- this ties together the genocide of the Great Caravan (who saw and eventually called into the world the Frenzied Flame) and the explusion of priests who see flame in the faith
- the Three Fingers, via Hyetta, tell you that the Greater Will made a mistake in the current order and that it needs to be torn down and started again.
- that is interesting because it's essentially the same conclusion that the Noble Goldmask reaches, that the golden order is flawed and must be repaired

there are a lot of moving parts and different motivations between the greater will - erdtree - marika, because i think despite being intended to be a unified expression of the greater will, marika AND the Erdtree have their own motivations.

edit: holy poo poo this is so helpful to my Dumb rear end Theory

khwarezm posted:

Something I like about Dragonlord Placidusax is that if you look at his model you can see that in addition to his two currently existing heads he seems to have lost three additional heads at some point and still has the the neck stumps. It brings to mind the hands and finger motif that's used throughout the game, and similarly you have the parallel of the two fingers and later on the 'missing' three fingers for the lord of Frenzied flame route that together make up the total of five. So does this all imply that beings elevated by the gods are deprived of that which makes them whole to keep them weaker and more controllable?

you have no idea

also the Old Lord's Talisman i think shows the dragon in his intact state

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 12, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

more seriously every single NPC in Elden Ring is characterized by their burning desire for something that will destroy them, often (although not always) knowingly. the whole world has suicidal ideation, possibly as Marika's circumstances are reflected in everything and everyone around her

it's also extremely Arthurian; "the land and the king are one"

Hey now there's.....uhm.....

And maybe....

Kenneth?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

he's a naive dumbass in over his head, being used by higher powers with no interest in his survival, who eventually rejects them and signs on with a group of subaltern misfits who need and deserve his help even if this proves to be just as self-destructive

poor guy, but i'm built different. anyways, off to link the First Flame!

Do we ever find out who killed him?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

people can appreciate what they want but they might as well be doing timed button combos on the start menu screen, im not really sure how it relates to elden ring at all

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Jar-Bairn has a line about "poachers" who hunt jars for their innards, and there's some other lore that suggests Minor Erdtrees are fed corpses with a particular eye towards Living Jars (which is why you find piles of dead/empty living jars scattered around them sometimes), but nothing more definite than that to my knowledge

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I was watching an All Remembrances run the other morning and was disappointed that it's largely Torrent glitching through terrain and turning off boss AI.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

edit: holy poo poo this is so helpful to my Dumb rear end Theory

you have no idea

also the Old Lord's Talisman i think shows the dragon in his intact state

Something that I don't know about Placidusax I need clarification on, he was stated to be Elden Lord in the past, I already noted a tenuous connection between him and the two fingers which are the heralds for the greater will, but was he himself a proxy for the greater will and simply abandoned in favour of Malika and the rest?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Found a video that sums up my opinions about it pretty well. Extreme highs and extreme lows all in the same game.

His deconstruction of exactly why a lot of the boss fights are poorly designed is spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEyjdc-DIb8

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phenotype posted:

God, who gives a gently caress about this poo poo anymore.
I do, I think it's interesting.

buffalo all day posted:

people can appreciate what they want but they might as well be doing timed button combos on the start menu screen, im not really sure how it relates to elden ring at all
They're performing the button combos in the From Software title "Elden Ring" hth

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 12, 2022

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was watching an All Remembrances run the other morning and was disappointed that it's largely Torrent glitching through terrain and turning off boss AI.

well yeah even if it's more content than any% it's still content through the lens of doing it as quickly as humanly possible using every dirty trick in the book

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

It's interesting in the way that exploiting any system or loophole is interesting. Like a dumb example that popped into my brain is phone phreaking... You could say "yeah but it's just blowing on a whistle" but what's interesting is how it's exploiting the system to lead to the result you want. And how people find this stuff in the first place.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

GreatGreen posted:

Found a video that sums up my opinions about it pretty well. Extreme highs and extreme lows all in the same game.

His deconstruction of exactly why a lot of the boss fights are poorly designed is spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEyjdc-DIb8

One thing I disagree with Anderson on is that I think Torrent does not need i-frames on his dash at all, the trade off with fighting on Torrent compared to on foot is that you are faster but don't have brief invincibility on the dodge, and you can kind of exploit the getting off animation to give you that invincibility if you need it. The horseback fights work because you are physically moving out of the way of danger and have the speed to do so, and not just rolling through deadly attacks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Torrent doesn't need i-frames on his dash, his speed alone (and lack of stamina bar) is already a huge incentive to use him, but if he had i-frames on his dash there would be far fewer situations where optimal play involves constantly mounting and dismounting your horse, which looks incredibly stupid.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

skasion posted:

You’re forgetting the Nox of the Eternal Cities, who are to my mind the most interesting of the ancient civilizations. Their ruins are absolutely gigantic, exist above and below ground, and they were apparently in conflict with the Greater Will. What’s more, they seem to have had some similarity to Ranni’s dark moon ideology. Reading between the lines, it sure seems like they were an advanced civilization which got nuked into subterranean bunkers by alien aggression, to the point of deliberately meteor-bombing them with Astel to gently caress them over even once they were underground.

I do mention the Eternal Cities, but I don't mention the Nox, because I do not think the Nox are the original inhabitants of the Eternal City. I list the Ancient Dynasty of the Eternal City, of which you only see a singular NPC, their priests known as the Claymen. The Ancient Dynasty of the Eternal City is destroyed by Astel, Naturalborn of the Void, who came on a falling meteor long before the Nox ever arrived in the Eternal City. Astel is also likely the reason the Dark Moon is no longer present in the Eternal City.

I don't have the item citations on me at this time, but the Nox are a civilization who lived above ground, came into conflict with the Golden Order, and then were banished below ground. I believe they found the ruins of the Eternal City with some of their silver tear technology intact. But the Nox appears to have nothing to do with the Claymen, who are directly stated in the two Claymen Spells to be part of the original ancient dynasty.

i'm inclined to agree with this assessment, i think astel was let in to the underground on purpose during the war with the stars. the place he ended up is Literally Gatekeeping the area Ranni needs to bring on the age of stars. Astel guards the elevator to the south-westernmost rise in Liurnia, where Ranni's personal Two Fingers are.

A great deal of the backstory of the game is the Greater Will (or maybe just the Erdtree) clamping down on competitors:

- Genocide of the Great Caravan by sealing them underground, due to their 'heretical' beliefs (nomadic merchant's set descriptions)
- Making a pariah of any priest who sees the flame of ruin within the faith (prophet start + description of the flame sling spell)
- War on the Nox
- Defeat and sealing of the Scarlet Rot civ (builders of the ruins in the lake of rot I think) by the blind swordsman
- War with the Dragons and Beastmen (the previous civilisational order, mentioned a bunch of times in the beastmen items + malformed dragon set + dragon knight's weapons)
- War with the Fire Giants (which ironically might have been a mercy killing, given that a few of the giant items mention the fire giants being Cursed to guard the flame of ruin before the Erdtree came along)
- War with the Carians and Raya Lucaria, which gave way to a fairly one-sided alliance (Rennala and Radagon's marriage), inducting a 'safe' version of star and moon study into the golden order to try and keep sorcerors in check.
- Forbidding Primeval Current research (Sellen's questline, I don't know if the Primeval Current is a rival outer power or maybe just the source of all things)
- Even the Shattering can be seen this way. Marika had given birth to multiple Empyreans, aka vessels for outer gods. Combined with the decline of the Erdtree's vitality, it was pretty clear that both her and it's time had come. The shattering hosed up Ranni's plan with the Black Knives and rune of death, took Malenia from Miquella's side, which allowed Mohg to steal Miquella from the Haligtree, taking out two competitors with one move (the haligtree and malenia's scarlet bloom)

and then if you buy into my crackpot theories:
- the attempt by the erdtree to replace the fire aspect of the Greater Will with the moon aspect in the Golden Order, as an attempt by the Erdtree to avoid being burned as part of its necessary lifecycle
- this ties together the genocide of the Great Caravan (who saw and eventually called into the world the Frenzied Flame) and the explusion of priests who see flame in the faith
- the Three Fingers, via Hyetta, tell you that the Greater Will made a mistake in the current order and that it needs to be torn down and started again.
- that is interesting because it's essentially the same conclusion that the Noble Goldmask reaches, that the golden order is flawed and must be repaired

you have no idea

I agree with most of your list. Two points I have different takes on:

I do not think the Golden Order were responsible for the sealing of the Scarlet Rot Civilization. I think the water dancer is far older than the Golden Order, and sealed away the Scarlet Rot before the Elden Beast even came to the Lands Between. Although he does interact with the Golden Order by becoming Malenia's teacher. I imagine we will see him in a DLC as a Malenia-esque boss.

I also do not think there is any evidence the Golden Order waged an offensive war on the Dragons. They fought two defensive wars when their capital was attacked. Then in order to learn to better defend their capital, some of the crucible knights & erdtree protectors decided they wanted to become dragons and traveled to Farum Azulua to attempt to learn how. But Farum Azulua is a mausoleum-- the Dragonlord-Beatmen civilization has been long fallen by the time the Golden order interacts with them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

doesn't one of the memorial stones/swords talk about a war against the dragons?

i know most of them are about the giants but i could have sworn there were a few that weren't

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Torrent doesn't need i-frames on his dash, his speed alone (and lack of stamina bar) is already a huge incentive to use him, but if he had i-frames on his dash there would be far fewer situations where optimal play involves constantly mounting and dismounting your horse, which looks incredibly stupid.

I don't really like the fact that dismounting is an i-frame situation either, I just feel like the nature of fighting on torrent means there should be no reliance on i-frames and its all about weaving in and out of attack patterns, but that might mean they'd have to nerf some of the more difficult fights intended to be done from horseback.

Maybe if his jump was better for avoiding damage?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
DS2 All Bosses runs were very entertaining to watch as they exhibited a very high level of play skill and routing. Peep the Eleum Loyce segment of this run where the runner skips the entire part where you deactivate the first boss' invisibility and recruit NPC knights for the second boss and just charges straight into the arena like a screaming undead flesh missile

Not a single quit-and-reload-to-skip-a-five-second-door-animation in sight, just speedrunners living in the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsK3hm4qKZ8

Yet another way in which the series peaked with Dark Souls 2 :smug:

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

loquacius posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with the Banished Knights in Stormveil, specifically the guy near Rogier's chapel who has a greatsword and shield.

I'm using a greatsword and shield myself, and the problem is that (a) I don't have the stamina to block an entire combo of his, (b) if I dodge one attack, he just gets me with the next one, and (c) I keep getting staggered and stunlocked and I cannot for the life of me stagger him a single time, so whenever I get in a hit at least one (probably two) is coming right back at me.

Another problem is that when I do a search for "elden ring banished knight" I just get like a zillion results about their armor set so I can't use online resources like I have before.

Any tips???

When he is on the narrow path with the bottomless pit next to him get his attention. Probably 70% of the time he'll do that slow circle mobs do and walk his dumbass right off the edge.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

doesn't one of the memorial stones/swords talk about a war against the dragons?

i know most of them are about the giants but i could have sworn there were a few that weren't

Yes, but as far as I remember, it discusses a defensive war where the dragons besieged Lyndell twice.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sapozhnik posted:

DS2 All Bosses runs were very entertaining to watch as they exhibited a very high level of play skill and routing. Peep the Eleum Loyce segment of this run where the runner skips the entire part where you deactivate the first boss' invisibility and recruit NPC knights for the second boss and just charges straight into the arena like a screaming undead flesh missile

Not a single quit-and-reload-to-skip-a-five-second-door-animation in sight, just speedrunners living in the moment

hey guess who's got a video up beating that guy's time by half an hour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwQI28qWMig

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Vintersorg posted:

Depraved Perfumers who came to the town to poach jars for their recipes.

its also worth noting the patterns that come up again and again, there is a real fisher king theme going on. Alexander's questline (along with Diallos and the Jar Bairn) seems to represent the intended order of things. A champion, filled with the strength of many fallen, defends the people of the world from other threats. The champion passes their prime but accepts their end with dignity. The champion's remains pass on to the next generation, who had also been protected and nutured by a failed champion, who had come face to face with what he thought he wanted and turned away afraid and ashamed. But he accepts the job of steward, and the sacrifice of both his dream and his life allows the next generation to survive and become the next champion

the champion could be alexander or the erdtree

the next generation could be the jar bairn or the tarnished or nepheli loux

the failed champion is diallos or gideon

it's also how the order of things is presented to you when you first visit roundtable hold. but the truth is that in the actual world, things have gone wrong. the Erdtree is no Alexander, it's trying to escape the death it really can't, and the entire world is suffering for it.

Gideon is no Diallos, instead of being kind and nuturing he is cruel and manipulative, and instead of giving up on a futile quest, he has dedicated his life to it. Even his mace represents reaching for something fundamentally out of reach.

Even Jarburg is like the Roundtable Hold, a little place cut off from the rest of the world (literally in Jarburg's case, abstractly in Roundtable Hold's case) populated by all one type of thing (living jars and tarnished), like a safe oasis for people who are otherwise constantly in combat.

Every questline involves someone succeeding or failing to accept the truth of their situation. Alexander is cracked, Diallos isn't a tough guy, Rya is of unknown parentage.

a really direct comparison is Edgar and Kenneth Haight: both are initially delusional about the state of their fortress and the state of their position. Edgar, despite seeming more down-to-earth, clings to his command. Kenneth, despite seeming like a total dickhead, immediately reckons with the state of Limgrave when he sees his fortress. Edgar's path leads him to the loss of a child, madness, and mass murder. Kenneth's quest leads him to Nepheli Loux's side as consort of the new Lord of Limgrave, which is a bizarrely hopeful ending for such a hosed up zone.

Kenneth and Edgar are both parallels for Marika, one the road she took and one the road she was meant to take by the Greater Will. Marika refused to reckon with the state of the Erdtree and clung to her command, and as a direct result lost in total one child (the soul of godwyn and the body of ranni), and led the wider world to madness and slaughter.

sorry this is rambling but the lore of the game is very interconnected, like the elden ring itself it's a whole bunch of repeating and intertwined patterns, and following one leads you to another.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sockser posted:

he’s an idiot gently caress-up who was obsessed with finding glory in battle and bringing honor to his house and becoming a champion and getting revenge but was poo poo at doing all of that who managed to find some small amount of redemption by giving his life trying to protect someone

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

So are all the ruins in limgrave, liurnia etc from farum azula?

Seems like a lot.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Phenotype posted:

just don't watch or read it

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Depraved Perfumers who came to the town to poach jars for their recipes.

its also worth noting the patterns that come up again and again, there is a real fisher king theme going on. Alexander's questline (along with Diallos and the Jar Bairn) seems to represent the intended order of things. A champion, filled with the strength of many fallen, defends the people of the world from other threats. The champion passes their prime but accepts their end with dignity. The champion's remains pass on to the next generation, who had also been protected and nutured by a failed champion, who had come face to face with what he thought he wanted and turned away afraid and ashamed. But he accepts the job of steward, and the sacrifice of both his dream and his life allows the next generation to survive and become the next champion

the champion could be alexander or the erdtree

the next generation could be the jar bairn or the tarnished or nepheli loux

the failed champion is diallos or gideon

it's also how the order of things is presented to you when you first visit roundtable hold. but the truth is that in the actual world, things have gone wrong. the Erdtree is no Alexander, it's trying to escape the death it really can't, and the entire world is suffering for it.

Gideon is no Diallos, instead of being kind and nuturing he is cruel and manipulative, and instead of giving up on a futile quest, he has dedicated his life to it. Even his mace represents reaching for something fundamentally out of reach.

Even Jarburg is like the Roundtable Hold, a little place cut off from the rest of the world (literally in Jarburg's case, abstractly in Roundtable Hold's case) populated by all one type of thing (living jars and tarnished), like a safe oasis for people who are otherwise constantly in combat.

Every questline involves someone succeeding or failing to accept the truth of their situation. Alexander is cracked, Diallos isn't a tough guy, Rya is of unknown parentage.

a really direct comparison is Edgar and Kenneth Haight: both are initially delusional about the state of their fortress and the state of their position. Edgar, despite seeming more down-to-earth, clings to his command. Kenneth, despite seeming like a total dickhead, immediately reckons with the state of Limgrave when he sees his fortress. Edgar's path leads him to the loss of a child, madness, and mass murder. Kenneth's quest leads him to Nepheli Loux's side as consort of the new Lord of Limgrave, which is a bizarrely hopeful ending for such a hosed up zone.

Kenneth and Edgar are both parallels for Marika, one the road she took and one the road she was meant to take by the Greater Will. Marika refused to reckon with the state of the Erdtree and clung to her command, and as a direct result lost in total one child (the soul of godwyn and the body of ranni), and led the wider world to madness and slaughter.

sorry this is rambling but the lore of the game is very interconnected, like the elden ring itself it's a whole bunch of repeating and intertwined patterns, and following one leads you to another.

Nepheli Loux's quest having a pretty positive ending was such a shock that I had to check I was still playing a From game and hadn't accidently put on Assassin's Creed Valhalla or something.

Now if only Haight would actually make me a knight, dick.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Does the big head man-serpent in Volcano Manor right before the teleporter to Rykard drop his helmet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Sapozhnik posted:

Ds2 unrestricted is as broken as elden ring unrestricted. The main difference being that in ds2 you need to spend a few minutes bino-dashing out of bounds. instead of instantly zipping.

But, all from games have broken and kinda boring unrestricted category and an actually fun all bosses category.