Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SeanPenn/status/1509626754847031320

Sean Penn thinks that billionaires should be able to purchase air superiority fighters and HIMAD off the shelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I agree. I'd like one platoon of Bradleys, please (only half joking).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SeanPenn/status/1509626755753000966

I also like that he calls maintenance and logistics "add-ons" like it's a dealership. Sure it'll be more expensive if we get the wood grain inlaid cockpit, but you want your pilots to feel special don't you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

he looks like he was in the fight holy poo poo

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

zoux posted:

I also like that he calls maintenance and logistics "add-ons" like it's a dealership. Sure it'll be more expensive if we get the wood grain inlaid cockpit, but you want your pilots to feel special don't you.

I’m the three weeks conversion training.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kaal posted:

He's not speaking in terms of actually planning to go, so much as that he can't shake the thought of it. He fled the country on foot, and he understandably has doubts. And I think that anyone can understand that impulse to join in a desperate fight, rather than just do the sensible thing and watch it play out in the news.

tbf ive been to the chipotle in Brentwood and thought to myself how sick nasty it would be to snipe a russian general and be back in time to deal with bills and poo poo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sean Penn offering to help in a role behind the front lines, using some of his better known skills and experiences. Like maybe abusing a woman whose abusive boyfriend is away at war or threatening violence on some photographers.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dear Sean Penn,

There are plenty of prior issues that billionaires could have helped solve already by dumping their wealth on it, but they don't, because if they did there wouldnt be billionaires in the first place to buy military equipment for Ukraine.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CANDU is legit a very impressive design, we have a bunch of units in Ontario (Darlington/Pickering/Bruce Power) that provide a ton of baseline electricity for the province

That being said, one of the most buffoonishly incompetent and corrupt engineering firms on God's Green Earth, SNC-Lavalin, now owns the design.

Also there seems to be a lot of pressure when choosing designs to go with US-style PWR/BWRs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1513891611159187472

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dunno if I missed the atropine discussion yet but our protocol (USN/USMC) iirc in the event of exposure to nerve weapons was to administer atropine until your mouth tastes funny.

Also the auto injectors contain anti anxiety medications which is a pretty nice touch because if you ever need atropine…

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A true golden bullet. Lived to tell the tale AND had to go back to the rear to get a replacement!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cimber posted:

Doesn't that poo poo rev up your metabolism something fierce to make your body break down the agent quicker and keep you breathing?

I believe that's how it works. All I know is it felt like the biggest rush multiplied by the biggest panic attack and had to go find the 2nd injector real quick because they told us you'd basically have a heart attack in a minute without it. I don't know how true it is or even what is in them.

But I did feel a lot better after the 2nd one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cimber posted:

Doesn't that poo poo rev up your metabolism something fierce to make your body break down the agent quicker and keep you breathing?

No, I believe it's because atropine out competes with most nerve agents to bind to cells. It's a parasympathetic agonist iirc so it'd likely have the opposite effect of injecting something like adrenaline. It would speed up digestion I guess if that's what you mean but that's just a side effect of the main use which is to block nerve agents.

I believe that's why we were trained to more or less overdose patients on atropine, you're basically flooding the nerves and muscles receptors so the nerve agent can't do anything.

I have been injected with an epipen and that had a huge rush feeling, like suddenly I felt like physically I was about to go skydiving while sitting in a chair. Atropine autoinjectors usually have other drugs in them so who knows though.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 12, 2022

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
It’s been a while since I’ve been a chemo, but the Pralidoxime (aka 2 Pam Chloride) is what binds to your nerve endings (the anionic site where the acetylcholinesterase enzymes are sent). Basically an organophosphate poisoning, which is what nerve agents are, causes an overload at the receptor by pushing more than it can handle, like frying a motherboard with too much current. 2 Pam chloride binds to the receptors to prevent the overload, like a surge protector of sorts. It can’t stay there for

Atropine basically causes everything to be flushed through your system, to include the 2pam chloride so your nerve receptors can survive the attack.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, it's Azov, but them and the Ukrainian Marines are the ones in Mariupol.

This is :nms: as it has video of the victims discussing their injuries and thus I'd consider it newsworthy.

code:
https://twitter.com/Polk_Azov/status/1513796108086038533?s=20&t=pxAeEepRRpJ2KQRLw2FKxQ

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

No, I believe it's because atropine out competes with most nerve agents to bind to cells. It's a parasympathetic agonist iirc so it'd likely have the opposite effect of injecting something like adrenaline. It would speed up digestion I guess if that's what you mean but that's just a side effect of the main use which is to block nerve agents.

I believe that's why we were trained to more or less overdose patients on atropine, you're basically flooding the nerves and muscles receptors so the nerve agent can't do anything.

I have been injected with an epipen and that had a huge rush feeling, like suddenly I felt like physically I was about to go skydiving while sitting in a chair. Atropine autoinjectors usually have other drugs in them so who knows though.

Let he who has never played EpiPen tag cast the first stone.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

zoux posted:

C.W. Lemoine discussed this question on his channel the other day. Ukraine doesn't have AMRAAMS and any other missile that is compatible with US fighters. US fighters also do not use the metric system for any measurements, but the standard US system of measurement. C.W. also noted that just for him transferring from F-16 to F-18 was months of work and confusion. We would not only have to train their pilots on an entirely new platform, supply maintenance and logistics, but also supply them with missiles AND train their brains to understand our unit of measurement while pulling hi-g maneuvers.. lmao its not going to happen.

Also, which pilots are we pulling off active duty to learn the new platform, and where would we train these pilots? Basically half cripple Ukraine's airforce for a few months while we ship them to a NATO ally for training and back again? Or let them train in Ukrainian airspace? Good luck with the latter.

The best we can do is trade some neighboring country with MIGs. Give Poland a bunch of F-16s so they can give Ukraine all their MIGs.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 12, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tired: Give Ukraine US Fighters
Wired: Give Ukraine B-52s from the boneyard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

They also do not use the metric system for any measurements,

They should probably do that. (what do other countries measure airspeed in?)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Knots is the de facto international standard.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

zoux posted:

Knots. They are trying to move it to km/h but thats not taking off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assume it's because everyone who can fly is used to knots already, but why did they start measuring airspeed in knots anyway? It's not like naval aviation was the first kind of aviation.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

zoux posted:

I assume it's because everyone who can fly is used to knots already, but why did they start measuring airspeed in knots anyway? It's not like naval aviation was the first kind of aviation.

Per wikipedia, before 1969 civil aircraft standards in the US used miles and miles per hour, not knots. I assume (and the internet generally agrees) that the reason for the switch is that 1 nautical mile is pretty much 1 minute of latitude, so nautical miles make more sense on distance charts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ulmont posted:

I assume (and the internet generally agrees) that the reason for the switch is that 1 nautical mile is pretty much 1 minute of latitude, so nautical miles make more sense on distance charts.

It’s this. Makes navigational math easy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

zoux posted:

Aeronautical navigation.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cimber posted:

Knots. They are trying to move it to km/h but thats not taking off.

Don’t want this to not get the :golfclap: it deserves.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

Don’t want this to not get the :golfclap: it deserves.

I was hoping someone would notice.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

zoux posted:

No but airships were :colbert:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Xakura posted:

No but airships were :colbert:

Those cowards in Washington won't let us have them anymore

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

One of Putin's Ukrainian BFFs was captured and arrested after a month and a half on the lam.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/12/russia-ukraine-war-news-live-updates/#link-4EEMORQ5HZHLTNOA7YE3DJAXRE

quote:

KYIV, Ukraine — Russian President Vladimir Putin’s trusted Ukrainian ally and friend, oligarch Viktor Medvedchuk, was recaptured Tuesday by Ukraine’s internal security service after weeks in hiding, according to the presidential administration.

Medvedchuk, leader of the pro-Kremlin Opposition Platform — For Life party in Ukraine, escaped house arrest in February, according to Ukrainian officials, having been charged with treason last year.

Medvedchuk, widely known as Putin’s man in Kyiv, was photographed Tuesday looking disheveled, wearing a Ukrainian uniform, apparently having tried to pass himself off as a member of Ukraine’s armed forces loyal to President Volodymyr Zelensky.

A photograph was released but no details about the capture or Medvedchuk’s location were announced.

Medvedchuk has said that Putin is godfather to his daughter, a culturally important relationship in Ukrainian tradition. The two have reportedly vacationed together on the Black Sea and attended sporting matches together.

In February last year, Zelensky’s administration shut down three television stations associated with Medvedchuk because of a need to stop “Russian aggression in the information arena,” a move that outraged the Kremlin.

In May, Medvedchuk was arrested and charged with treason. Three days after the Russian invasion Feb, 27, Ukrainian officials reported that he had escaped house arrest.

At the time his lawyer denied that he had escaped, claiming he moved to a secret location for his own safety.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Tired: Give Ukraine US Fighters
Wired: Give Ukraine B-52s from the boneyard.

Baby loooooooove shack, just a little old *crumpf*

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61075759

quote:

Russian President Vladimir Putin says peace talks have reached a "dead-end situation" after Ukraine made allegations about war crimes

Speaking in a rare public appearance, Putin dismisses the discovery of dead bodies lying in the streets in the Ukrainian town of Bucha as "fake"

He insists Russian military's goals in Ukraine are "noble"

Ukraine and Russia are building up their military forces in the eastern Ukrainian region of Donbas as Moscow switches the focus of its offensive

The US and Britain say they are looking into reports that chemical weapons have been used by Russian forces attacking Mariupol

Some 4.8 million of Ukraine's 7.5 million children have been displaced since the start of the war, the UN says

So on we go.

:(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The negotiations were never in good faith. This changes nothing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

"Hey, look, we are talking! See? We are talking while we bomb refugee convoys. We are not the bad guys cuz we are talking!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

You think I don't know that? I just want people to stop dying for nothing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You think I don't know that? I just want people to stop dying for nothing.

I think the only realistic hope left for Ukraine is victory.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

I think the only realistic hope left for Ukraine is for Putin to [redacted].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's say Putin had a sudden cerebrovascular event that killed him (this is not unprecedented among Russian rulers): who the hell takes over? Or does the country immediately fall apart?