Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If sunak hates Boris badly enough his own resignation could sink him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I welcome the Reichskanzler's commitment to attaching themselves to the fringe, and encourage them to go further and attach to the entire haircut.

Oct 4, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If sunak hates Boris badly enough his own resignation could sink him.

Boris is the unflushable turd.

He could poo poo in the queens cornflakes and 40% of this cursed island would still back him.

"Labour would have poo poo even more!"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

but we did find it amusing that its apparent thesis, at least in what we watched, was "the world would be much better, and scientific and social progress much swifter, if only the Soviets beat the Americans to the moon", which, uh, I'm pretty sure was not what the show was going for lol
I think I've mentioned before but there's a series on Netflix called 'history 101' and in their episode about the space race, they have a counter that keeps going up with all the times the soviets beat the americans into space - if I remember rightly there's the first rocket, the first 'manned' flight, the first orbital satellite etc. It gets up to about 4-0 to the Russians, and then suddenly the US get to the moon and the counter resets to 0-1 to the Americans. Yep, they landed on the moon so hard it instantly negated the other 4 victories from the Russians.

It's presented absolutely without irony and it's hilarious.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Not wishing to imageleech so I'll just link... (sorry, it's :reddit:)

https://i.redd.it/h4rzrhrbcko31.jpg

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

1965917 posted:

Boris is the unflushable turd.

He could poo poo in the queens cornflakes and 40% of this cursed island would still back him.

"Labour would have poo poo even more!"

Boris legend shat in the queen's cornflakes, lol, he's a lad i'nt 'e?!?!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

unfortunately it turns out that as the first PM to host an illegal rave at downing street Boris is now the coolest prime minister in history

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"For years the ricicle revolutionaries of the woke left have whined over the lack of taste and nutrition in their cornflakes. Yet here at last comes an ubermensch, a man willing to add not only protein but a rich earthy umami to even the highest cereal bowl in the land, and all the chattering classes can do is attack and attempt to bring down the head of this once great nation." Something something 1984, lots of love Brendan O'Neil

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

if labour would commit to making GBS threads in the royal cornflakes I might vote for them

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Just heard of the latest sector to be hit by the Brexit-driven labour shortage:

Border patrol :ironicat:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1513479962673786881?t=hE9cuhVtuQ3LvBgcb7ptfw&s=19

Reminds me of the 'I earn £100k a year and I am definitely not in the top one per cent of earners!' man on QT.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-61085282

quote:

A Conservative MP has said Boris Johnson behaved like teachers and nurses in the pandemic, who would go back to the staff room and drink during lockdown.
Michael Fabricant added the Prime Minister needed to apologise after being fined, but said Boris Johnson would not have thought he was breaking the law.

LET THE ARSE LICKING APOLOGIZING BEGIN!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I assume teachers and nurses also did some loving work when they weren't drinking.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

BalloonFish posted:

https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1513479962673786881?t=hE9cuhVtuQ3LvBgcb7ptfw&s=19

Reminds me of the 'I earn £100k a year and I am definitely not in the top one per cent of earners!' man on QT.

i love the fifth of people earning above 100k who don't know what class they are. or maybe they do and just refuse to say it as one simply doesn't talk about that kind of thing, my good fellow

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the 0-10k upper class folks have really good accountants eh

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

happyhippy posted:

I love the idea that teachers go back to the staff room to drink. There are pub visits after staff football but certainly no alcohol in school. Other than end of term after all the kids have gone home when there might be a single drink.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
mrs norman is in the thin sliver of 25-50k people who think they are upper-class

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Working class and getting £100k - that'll be the plumbers then. £100k. I remember paying £70ph to get a plumber in Walthamstow 20 years ago. So that would be 38 weeks (+4h) @ 37.5h.
I remember his worksheet that I had to sign "isolate and reinstate supply" it said. Fancy words, eh. I wrote in big letters on it, "Paid Under Protest, I am the one who turned the stopcock off and on again." and then I complained to Trading Standards who said I had to get 3 estimates of other plumbers to prove it. This to change a tap which I simply did not own a wrench hefty enough to turn and get off the pipe.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
YOUR SISTER ISN'T UPPER-CLASS LIKE US NORMAN

SHE HAS PAMPAS GRASS IN THE FRONT GARDEN

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Only Kindness posted:

Not wishing to imageleech so I'll just link... (sorry, it's :reddit:)

https://i.redd.it/h4rzrhrbcko31.jpg

It's a funny image. But it does leave out that America not only got the first man to walk on the Moon with Neill Armstrong.
They also landed another eleven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_astronauts

All twelve men to have walked on the Moon (and to have returned alive aswell) have been Astronauts.

No Cosmonauts have ever reached the Moon. It is a pretty significant achievement.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

We quit it after four or five episodes because it's pretty light weight and liberal and dumb and had too much 'murcan lip-quivering, but we did find it amusing that its apparent thesis, at least in what we watched, was "the world would be much better, and scientific and social progress much swifter, if only the Soviets beat the Americans to the moon", which, uh, I'm pretty sure was not what the show was going for lol

I did find it quite funny the show apparently thought I was supposed to be shocked to the core at the Soviets landing on the moon first. Meanwhile i post in here so I was like 'go Korolev beat that Nazi gently caress' :getin:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

crispix posted:

the 0-10k upper class folks have really good accountants eh

It's a rare moment of honesty: rich people don't earn any salary, they live on investments.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

It's a funny image. But it does leave out that America not only got the first man to walk on the Moon with Neill Armstrong.
They also landed another eleven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_astronauts

All twelve men to have walked on the Moon (and to have returned alive aswell) have been Astronauts.

No Cosmonauts have ever reached the Moon. It is a pretty significant achievement.

And, in the most American end imaginable, they could have kept on sending more and more but the TV ratings were poor so they cancelled the last mission and a bunch of other programs meant to piggyback off Apollo and the Saturn platform.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lol @ keith party trying to make hay of big boris boozy parties and nobody giving a gently caress

that's a great strategy for getting into government you have there you vapid shitheads

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

happyhippy posted:

It's funny that the best "man of the people" they could find to kiss Boris' arse is Michael loving Fabricant.
I doubt there are many people in the Tories less in touch with reality than that prick.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

feedmegin posted:

I did find it quite funny the show apparently thought I was supposed to be shocked to the core at the Soviets landing on the moon first. Meanwhile i post in here so I was like 'go Korolev beat that Nazi gently caress' :getin:

hell yeah lol

I really wished there were Soviet characters, another perspective other than the ooh-rah 'merican triumphalism. Maybe they turn up later in the series, but I didn't stick around long enough to find out, and I doubt the writers are good enough to do both sides justice.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Working class and getting £100k - that'll be the plumbers then. £100k. I remember paying £70ph to get a plumber in Walthamstow 20 years ago. So that would be 38 weeks (+4h) @ 37.5h.
I remember his worksheet that I had to sign "isolate and reinstate supply" it said. Fancy words, eh. I wrote in big letters on it, "Paid Under Protest, I am the one who turned the stopcock off and on again." and then I complained to Trading Standards who said I had to get 3 estimates of other plumbers to prove it. This to change a tap which I simply did not own a wrench hefty enough to turn and get off the pipe.

I'm sure you were getting ripped off but its not like a plumber just keeps all the money, they have running costs.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kingturnip posted:

It's funny that the best "man of the people" they could find to kiss Boris' arse is Michael loving Fabricant.
I doubt there are many people in the Tories less in touch with reality than that prick.

Watch this following week on tv, on who they can get out for the news crews.
Boris is going to go on his magical one week breaks again that he usually does when theres bad news out about him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man of the people in that he has killed several of the people and grafted their scalps to his head.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm sure you were getting ripped off but its not like a plumber just keeps all the money, they have running costs.

I'm aware of that, but this is 20 years ago. And I'm about 95% sure he sat in his van in the carpark for 45 minutes of that hour. I said, I'll run round to the hardware store (3 mins) and get the part (£4.95) but he said 'no no, I get trades rates, I'll get it.' Disappeared for nearly an hour, and came back with the same part and charged me £14.95 for the same bloody thing on top of the labour charge.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

YOUR SISTER ISN'T UPPER-CLASS LIKE US NORMAN

SHE HAS PAMPAS GRASS IN THE FRONT GARDEN
_____\

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BalloonFish posted:

ACKSHUALLY it's not.

It's £180k before tax to be in the top 1% (£119k after tax), as of 2019 (I think these are the most recent figures?).

QT man was protesting that he was earning £80k and definitely not in the top 5% (which he was, figures for 2019 say £81k for top 5% but those figures would probably not have been out at the time since I think they typically lag somewhat).

It was in response to Corbs and McD saying they'd raise taxes on the top 5% of earners.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/question-time-salary-row-thursday-17299148

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

ACKSHUALLY it's not.

It's £180k before tax to be in the top 1% (£119k after tax), as of 2019 (I think these are the most recent figures?).

QT man was protesting that he was earning £80k and definitely not in the top 5% (which he was, figures for 2019 say £81k for top 5% but those figures would probably not have been out at the time since I think they typically lag somewhat).

It was in response to Corbs and McD saying they'd raise taxes on the top 5% of earners.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/question-time-salary-row-thursday-17299148

Thank you :) Literally just spitballed the essential premise from memory. Should have remembered that it was to do with Corbyn's 'no tax rises for anyone on less than £80k' proposal

Edit: I like that MEN headline where the man was 'heavily criticised'. Makes a change from all the usual clickbait Mekon-like 'QT 5% Man DESTROYED by Social Media Mob' stuff.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 12, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Since apparently adding a sentence of historical context to a museum plaque or statue or anything else is the worst wokest reverse racism, I look forward to GB News' crusade against tasty sauces (which I assume they hate as unbritish anyway).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All this middle vs upper class stuff is just fictitious capitalist mystification of class relations anyway, feel like I shouldn't have to point that out itt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ehh, I still don't think reality plays out that everyone who does not own factory is proletarian and shares class interest. In actuality I think everyone rich enough is quite reasonably on the side of the bourgeoisie in stamping down everyone else so they can get their amazon deliveries every day. Or at least that is the case given that I think a lot of people would rather die than not have amazon prime, given how the pandemic has demonstrated that people would also die for haircuts and gawping at things in supermarkets, or the right to eat horse paste.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 12, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Ehh, I still don't think reality plays out that everyone who does not own factory is proletarian and shares class interest. In actuality I think everyone rich enough is quite reasonably on the side of the bourgeoisie in stamping down everyone else so they can get their amazon deliveries every day. Or at least that is the case given that I think a lot of people would rather die than not have amazon prime, given how the pandemic has demonstrated that people would also die for haircuts and gawping at things in supermarkets, or the right to eat horse paste.

Yeah but there's already a word for those people

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

BalloonFish posted:

Thank you :) Literally just spitballed the essential premise from memory. Should have remembered that it was to do with Corbyn's 'no tax rises for anyone on less than £80k' proposal
Yeah, somewhat unfortunate there was a figure, you just know they had to get someone in who was on £80,000.50 to scream about taking bread from his children's mouths.

Anyway, what about the REAL controversies, covid parties The Halo Show?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does the strict Marxian class division work in a postindustrial society? Marx says it doesn't work properly like that in preindustry, and there's a whole frankfurter school that says that interwar and postwar consumerism was the beginning of the end of a defined proletarian interest, but some of those guys just didn't like jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhatEvil posted:

ACKSHUALLY it's not.

Wasn't he another spectacular example of someone that doesn't understand tax bands?

From memory he was arguing that he isn't in the top 5% of the country's earners because he's 'not that well off' and why should have his money go to tax?

If you want to see how few people actually understand tax just look back on that policy and the reactions to it.